Something to throw in your cruise stuff...eyeglass repair kit!

JHCALLAHAN

Hello all,

I know ya can't take everything, but if you wear glasses one of these can save the day. I keep one in my cruise M.O.E.'s (miscellanious odds and ends) but didn't take it on vacation to Playa del Carmen last week, and sure enough the screw came loose (no wise cracks necessary :D) and the lens fell out of my prescription sunglasses at Xel Ha. :mad: Couldn't find a kit anywhere, the resort didn't have one, neither did Walmart in Playa. :mad: Fortunately there was an optometrist right across the street from Wally World who fixed them for a whopping 10 pesos (about 80 cents! :D). Of course I found one at one of the tourist trap stores the next day. I'll be taking mine EVERYWHERE from now on!

Fair winds,

JHC

Without glasses my eyesight is poor...I do not necessarily carry a repair kit (no kit can every contingency), but I do carry an extra pair. I also have some disposable contacts. if I somehow manage to break both pairs and run through the contacts, I shall sulk in my cabin (send DH to find an optician).

Great tip.......and maybe a magnifying glass to put those darn tiny screws into the slots....;)

A lot of kits come with those! Not much of one, but better than nothing.

The resort (Iberostar Tucan) didn't have one but they sent a maintenance guy around who didn't habla ingles. Of course he didn't have a screwdriver that small, but he tried!

JHC

Absolutely a great suggestion, and just so everyone knows - if you do find yourself in need of one of those small screwdrivers or something else like that, ask the jewelry store staff onboard for help. They fixed my glasses within seconds and were happy to do so. :)

Good suggestion, JHC. I was both very impressed and shocked that Guest Services on my Paul Gauguin cruise located an exact screw for my eyeglasses, and returned them back to me repaired and shining, with a smile. Never thought to bring my own kit. :)

Yes, we always carry a repair kit , and an extra pair of glasses for both of us. And the glasses have come in handy more that once , and I just don't travel with out the repair kit. In fact yesterday I had to fix hubby glasses here at home.

Cori

Here's what I do. For any pesky screws that keep trying to work themselves out (be it in eyeglasses or a watch band) you can use a tiny bit of loctite (BLUE only) or nail polish (nail polish seems to work just as well, plus it's clear so you don't have to worry if a tiny bit is visible). It holds the screw in just a bit tighter, and you can still loosen the screw later (just takes a bit of extra force to break it free). My wife was constantly having me fix her glasses (and I'd have to search everywhere for the missing screw) until I finally did this; no problems since!

in addition to eyeglass repair kit, we always travel with dental repair kit - a little tube of resinous material you can use to make a temporary filling if an inlay should come loose. We have never needed it, but after a table-mate on one cruise lost a filling and had two miserable sea days before getting an island dentist to give him a temporary replacement we figured it couldn't hurt to be prepared. Just a few dollars at any large drug store.

I already have one in my cruise box!;) (The sad thing is, I don't wear glasses.:eek:)

LOL But think of how grateful someone's grandmother or grandfather, sitting next to you on a beach, will be when you offer to fix their glasses..

I do pack both an eyeglass repair kit as well as a denture repair kit (it holds supplies for 3 repairs).

I also take along my "newest old" glasses because I could get by with them if I had to.

Plus, I also carry a copy of my most most recent prescription for my glasses. With all these precautions you can tell that I must have glasses to do most everything.

I have not had to use the denture repair kit so far, but on a recent cruise, one of our tablemates had a tooth on his partial denture break off during dinner. I loaned him my denture repair kit and he cemented the tooth back in place, which, the last I heard from them, it's still holding several months later.

What about a more essential one ..

A denture repair kit.

A number of yrs ago i managed to crack completely my upper plate and as it was new year hol ,had to wait until chemists opened to get a d i y repair kit.

It was minced turkey to say the least .

Almost all Cruise lines have eye glass repair kits kept at the Guest Services Desk for just these situations. All you have to do is tell them your problem and they will fix your eye glasses.

Not only does the Front Desk on every cruise ship have an eyeglass repair kit, the jewelery shop on every cruise ship has one as well.

Someone onboard will be happy to assist you - so you need not worry about carrying your own tool kit.

Archived