leaving balcony door open?

CLGcruiser

On one of our cruises (M class) --there was a terrible whistling noise coming from the hallway under our cabin door----we had to stuff a blanket by the door all night until we could find out what the issue was the next day...

turns out someone had opened their balcony door which created some type of air/noise problem that affected cabins on the same hallway......

someone also posted once about a bird that got into the cabin...

so it is not just the A/C that is affected

there is a notice someplace in the cabin or the newsletter -can't recall where

We open our balcony door to suit ourselves. We've never seen a sign telling us to keep it closed. If we can't open it and enjoy the sea air and the sounds even while we're in our cabin, what use are balcony cabins? No one can spend all their time on the balcony!

And if your AC doesn't work properly because your neighbours have the same attitude I suppose you'll be the first to complain :rolleyes:

I watched an in cabin video on Eclipse recently about the ship design where they were talking about the air conditioning system. From the main control panel the operator is able to see what each cabin has their thermostat set at and what the temperature actually is in the cabin, thus they can tell whether a balcony door is open or not. My recollection is that each cabin has its own independent air conditioning system on the S-Class and therefore leaving the cabin door open in your own cabin doesn't stuff up the aircon in another one. There is a sign by the balcony door asking for balcony doors to be kept closed to ensure cabin comfort and "conserve energy". If they catch you on the control panel monitors leaving your balcony door open they can remotely control operation of the sprinkler system in your cabin. OK, I made up the last bit.

Phil

Love the balcony door open but got a BIG surprise. Cabin infested with flying insects when we woke up. The ship docked very early in the AM and by the time we realized what was happening, it was too late. Needless to say, we never kept it open after that.

I watched an in cabin video on Eclipse recently about the ship design where they were talking about the air conditioning system. From the main control panel the operator is able to see what each cabin has their thermostat set at and what the temperature actually is in the cabin, thus they can tell whether a balcony door is open or not. My recollection is that each cabin has its own independent air conditioning system on the S-Class and therefore leaving the cabin door open in your own cabin doesn't stuff up the aircon in another one. There is a sign by the balcony door asking for balcony doors to be kept closed to ensure cabin comfort and "conserve energy". If they catch you on the control panel monitors leaving your balcony door open they can remotely control operation of the sprinkler system in your cabin. OK, I made up the last bit.

Phil

Thanks for the great info, Phil. We sometimes leave the door open, but only for a short period. Never overnight.

Thanks for posting the pic. I won't say what I think of someone who would use a bungee to hold the door open with the sign right there advising them to not leave the balcony door open. :rolleyes:

Sometimes the doors lock when you are out on the balcony... the bungee cord can be for safety, we have done it several times... if you've ever been locked out or know someone that has, you would understand.

Sorry, but if I am paying my balcony rate, I will enjoy sitting on it - with the door open behind me. If I want to smell the sea air and leave the balcony door open when I am inside the cabin I will. I do turn down/off the air conditioner when the door is open as well, recently updated systems turn off automatically when the door is open. And we always close & lock the balcony door when we leave the room.

If the balcony police visit me, they can refund my balcony rate. :D

And for the smoking on balconies on celebrity, no longer an option, it's a no-no with fines. :eek:

Most people on this board do not seem to get the technical side of the discussion and just believe the MYTH about the " open-loops"

On ALL S-CLASS ships, you CAN without any loss of conditioning power to your neighbour's cabins, leave your balcony door open.

I have explained the system in previous posts.

i leave my open most of the time i am in my cabin. when i need to i take an extra towel and leave it by the door.

peole can get locked out on the balcony... at night i leave it open a few inches for the sound.

i wish my air would go off but never has..

since i eat breakfast, happy hour drinks and snacks there and read outside iam out m ore than in.. if i get warm ijust clsoe the door.

right now my air is set at 75 or 76 degrees as it is still nice here. .it kicked on yesterday and i never closed a window. .soon enough the windows have to be closed so they are open all of april and may and again by oct.

I watched an in cabin video on Eclipse recently about the ship design where they were talking about the air conditioning system. From the main control panel the operator is able to see what each cabin has their thermostat set at and what the temperature actually is in the cabin, thus they can tell whether a balcony door is open or not. My recollection is that each cabin has its own independent air conditioning system on the S-Class and therefore leaving the cabin door open in your own cabin doesn't stuff up the aircon in another one. There is a sign by the balcony door asking for balcony doors to be kept closed to ensure cabin comfort and "conserve energy".

Phil

excitedofharpenden, thank you for explaining that the systems on the new S class ships are differant and leaving a door open will not affect others, although Celebrity still wants them shut to conserve energy,

...although Celebrity still wants them shut to conserve energy,

True. For every balcony door left open, the ship uses 0.0000000247829% more fuel due to the interruption in the streamlined aerodynamics. The ship's speed is also affected. If you leave your door open, you will be responsible for the ship arriving 0.042 seconds late to the next port. Do you want that responsibility on your shoulders??? :D:D

True. For every balcony door left open, the ship uses 0.0000000247829% more fuel due to the interruption in the streamlined aerodynamics. The ship's speed is also affected. If you leave your door open, you will be responsible for the ship arriving 0.042 seconds late to the next port. :D:D

You must be an Engineer.

Btw, our last cruise was on HAL's ms Veendam in a Lanai. The door was was a slider, heavy, and shut behind us. Our air conditioning did not work right and they brought us a large fan. The older HAL ships have multiple aircon problems and speculation is that people are leaving balcony doors open.

And for the smoking on balconies on celebrity, no longer an option, it's a no-no with fines. :eek:

Some people don't care. We were advised by guest relations that the smoker in the next room was contacted, sent a letter and later fined. He still smoked the day of Departure. That was one month ago.

Sometimes the doors lock when you are out on the balcony... the bungee cord can be for safety, we have done it several times... if you've ever been locked out or know someone that has, you would understand.

Sorry, but if I am paying my balcony rate, I will enjoy sitting on it - with the door open behind me. If I want to smell the sea air and leave the balcony door open when I am inside the cabin I will. I do turn down/off the air conditioner when the door is open as well, recently updated systems turn off automatically when the door is open. And we always close & lock the balcony door when we leave the room.

If the balcony police visit me, they can refund my balcony rate. :D

Your concern about your cabin neighbors and other passenger's comfort is much appreciated......

Likely you also would have no problem yelling down to your friends in the main dining room during dinner, or talking to your spouse/meaningful other during the shows....after all you paid for your tickets.

Actually I would not understand. Regardless of what I paid its their ship, their rules. If there is a sign directing me to not leave the balcony door open then I would not do so. Paying extra for a balcony entitles you to the use of a balcony, that is all.

Your concern about your cabin neighbors and other passenger's comfort is much appreciated......

Likely you also would have no problem yelling down to your friends in the main dining room during dinner, or talking to your spouse/meaningful other during the shows....after all you paid for your tickets.

I was talking about my cabin, a temporary but a personal space I occupy for a brief time. And why I pay for a balcony - to enjoy the outdoors while being on the sea. Maybe you're involved with the balcony police dept? You're a bit over defensive to assume and accuse me of things outside of my cabin. So if anyone is openly rude to others, you showed your colors.

Thanks for posting the pic. I won't say what I think of someone who would use a bungee to hold the door open with the sign right there advising them to not leave the balcony door open. :rolleyes:

Go right ahead sweetie...I'm right here ;)

Archived