Elite Lounge?

slomotion

Was talking to friends who have just returned from one of their MANY Princess Cruises and they mentioned going up to the Elite Lounge most afternoons for drinks.

Any information on the "Elite Lounge"?

Is it open to suite passengers as well?

Was talking to friends who have just returned from one of their MANY Princess Cruises and they mentioned going up to the Elite Lounge most afternoons for drinks.

It sure is, platinum , elite and suite (if neither of the first 2). Mini suites do not count.

It sure is, platinum , elite and suite (if neither of the first 2). Mini suites do not count.
To repeat what Dave said, it's available only to those in full suites, not mini-suites. It's open from 5-7pm and has different hors d'oeurves every night plus veggie dip and a variety of cheeses. One night it might be shrimp, the next it might be steat tartar, or stuffed mushrooms, or guacamole and chips, etc. There are usually four different cheeses each night and they also vary. Veggies are usually celery, carrots, broccoli, etc. and a ranch dip and, I think, a blue cheese dip. There's a "drink of the day" as well. On the Star in March, it was $5.99 although I've heard that on other ships, it's $3.99. The drink of the day might be a "Chairman of the Board" or a martini or something else. It's not gin and tonic, etc.

You should get a menu schedule in your stateroom that will tell you what's being offered in the upcoming week. (If not, ask the CC host.) It's actually a pleasant perk and a nice place to hang out with friends, though drink-special prices seem to have been spiraling steadily upward. Love that Stilton in Port.

To repeat what Dave said, it's available only to those in full suites, not mini-suites. It's open from 5-7pm and has different hors d'oeurves every night plus veggie dip and a variety of cheeses. One night it might be shrimp, the next it might be steat tartar, or stuffed mushrooms, or guacamole and chips, etc. There are usually four different cheeses each night and they also vary. Veggies are usually celery, carrots, broccoli, etc. and a ranch dip and, I think, a blue cheese dip. There's a "drink of the day" as well. On the Star in March, it was $5.99 although I've heard that on other ships, it's $3.99. The drink of the day might be a "Chairman of the Board" or a martini or something else. It's not gin and tonic, etc.

Thanks to Dave & Pam for the info.

Looking at the deck plans of the Golden, I do not see the Elite Lounge.

Am I correct in assuming it is in some other multi-use venue?

slomo

We were on the Golden to Hawaii in April and the drinks of the day were 3.99. We went just about every evening and really enjoyed the food, drinks and the great view from Skywalkers. Usually sailaway was around that time so it was fun to watch from deck 19!!

Looking at the deck plans of the Golden, I do not see the Elite Lounge.

Am I correct in assuming it is in some other multi-use venue?

It's not in a lounge marked "Platinum/Elite Lounge" but usually held in Skywalkers on the ships with a Skywalkers, or in the back section of the Explorer's Lounge near the windows on the Coral/Island, or another lounge, depending on the ship. Edited by Pam in CA

It is pretty much open to anyone who shows up. Usually there is just a sign on a table somewhere that says elite lounge. If there is someone there just tell them you are in a suite as you walk in.

It is pretty much open to anyone who shows up. Usually there is just a sign on a table somewhere that says elite lounge. If there is someone there just tell them you are in a suite as you walk in.
Well, gee, that sure denigrates the point of the perk. Edited by Pam in CA

Well, gee, that sure denigrates the point of the perk.

On our recent cruise we were invited up there and I was a bit hesitant, but they kept insisting so we did it on two afternoons. There were just a handful of people up there. By up there I am talking about the Skywalker.

Edited by mnbruce

On our recent cruise we were invited up there and I was a bit hesitant, but they kept insisting so we did it on two afternoons. There were just a handful of people up there. By up there I am talking about the Skywalker.
It probably depends on the cruise. On our Star cruise in March, we deliberately got there just after 6:00pm so that those dining at that time were leaving. Otherwise, there was literally not a seat to be had anywhere in the entire lounge. Sometimes, we wound up joining strangers at a table because those were the only seats left. I'd be quite upset if the crowding was due to people who haven't earned the perk just walking in and sitting down, taking up room that those who were eligible should have.

On the Coral last fall our staterooms cards were checked the first night to assure we were entitled to be there. It really is a very nice perk and we enjoyed going. The chef was very friendly, made it a point to come around and speak with us every time we came in.

I too would be a little disappointed to hear that people are showing up and partaking of this lounge when they have not earned that privledge. Sad to think that people always have to feel entitled to something they don't deserve.

In 2010 we sailed on the Celebrity Summit and were often up in the lounge where they did their cocktail party. It was a great place to spend an afternoon reading. Not once did we try to take advantage of someting we had not earned, although we were offered drinks and canapes. We simply said no thanks, we are not entitled to this perk.

Well, gee, that sure denigrates the point of the perk.

We really enjoyed Skywalkers every evening. We met a large group from CC there each night and had a blast. It was very full.

Exactly the reason why we stopped using the disembarkation lounge years ago. It was wide open and anyone walked in, the lounge is always packed with no where to sit. :rolleyes:

On these two smaller ships, either Sabbatini's or the Steak House is open each evening. The Elite Lounge is then held in the one that is not operating that evening.

We enjoy the perk, but do find some of the drink/appetizer combos a bit weird. And the Margarita they make is made with orange juice, not the limey ones to which most of us are accustomed.

And yes, the Stilton/Port is very yummy!!! :D

On the Coral last fall our staterooms cards were checked the first night to assure we were entitled to be there. It really is a very nice perk and we enjoyed going. The chef was very friendly, made it a point to come around and speak with us every time we came in.

I too would be a little disappointed to hear that people are showing up and partaking of this lounge when they have not earned that privledge. Sad to think that people always have to feel entitled to something they don't deserve.

In 2010 we sailed on the Celebrity Summit and were often up in the lounge where they did their cocktail party. It was a great place to spend an afternoon reading. Not once did we try to take advantage of someting we had not earned, although we were offered drinks and canapes. We simply said no thanks, we are not entitled to this perk.

That is why you say you are in suite. Those cards look just like all the other ones.

When I was up there after being invited I did not use any of the perks,because I was not an elite. I just sat up there and ordered full price drinks while chatting with the staff. I did not eat any of the food that they offered.

On my recent CB cruise there was a fellow at the entrance to Skywalkers asking to see your card on the way in. If you happen to "sneak" in you are not going to get the drink of the day at the special price anyway. All you would be getting were some munchies you could pick up yourself at the Horizon Court. :eek:

Generally we have been asked for our cabin #, so I think Princess keeps tracks.

I've always had to show my card to get in. It's nice to meet up with friends there, but honestly it's just more food. It's not worth sneaking and lying to get in. But, that's just me!

Last month I was never asked for my card when entering, so I did not need to sneak in or lie about it. Had I been asked by anyone I would have surely told the thruth.

Exactly the reason why we stopped using the disembarkation lounge years ago. It was wide open and anyone walked in, the lounge is always packed with no where to sit. :rolleyes:

Every time I have been to the nightly lounge, I have never been asked to show my cruise card. This has been true if I am the only person to show up or if the lounge is jam packed as it was on the cruise Pam was on.

On the other hand, I have always been asked to show my cruise card when going to the disembarkation lounge. Of course when, as on a recent cruise, over 1300 passengers are eligible to use that lounge, it will be packed even if they do check every card.

Edited by caribill