Elite Lounge?

slomotion

One time ...... the staff came around to kick us out for the platinum / elite lounge passengers. I told him we were platinum at the time -- he left to come around a bit later to once again ask us to leave. He didn't seem to believe me when I told him we were platinum. He asked to see my cruise card -- so maybe not so easy as one might think. .....

How using about a lanyard - they are very popular (Southern Hemisphere) to display elite or platinum status around your neck?? You do not have to pull out your wallet and search for your cruise card. Lock your wallet in the safe, and you wont get continually asked for proof with cruise card, and other passengers can see that you "qualify" too. Be Obvious. Dress elite/platinum.

We love the elite/platinum lounge - you meet the very nicest of people. And see them daily to develop lasting friendships. It is the highlight of our sea days. sincerely from down under.

We always enjoy our happy hr. times, CP in May was fantastic, Royal in Nov. a disappointment, beautiful lounge to look at, lousy seating & small, also less choice of drinks (no rob roy), & small offering of goodies.
Where do they hold the Platinum/Elite "lounge" on the Sea Princess (CP)? Just curious.

On the Royal T/A, it was held in the Vista Lounge. A couple of nights, it was held in Club 6, which I much preferred. Not sure which lounge you're referring to. Plenty of goodies and you could order any one of six drinks. You didn't have to order the "drink of the day." It definitely wasn't a step down from some previous Platinum/Elite lounges I've been to in the past. Best (to me) has been the Star, worst was the Island Princess a year ago.

Whether or not Princess checks cruise cards to make certain that each person is platinum, elite, or suite for attendance at the evening cocktails should be totally immaterial. Most adults have been raised to hold honesty and integrity as important personal qualities.

Those that do not hold those qualities as important demean themselves by their behavior and probably cheat at many other things as well.

Whether or not Princess checks cruise cards to make certain that each person is platinum, elite, or suite for attendance at the evening cocktails should be totally immaterial. Most adults have been raised to hold honesty and integrity as important personal qualities.......Those that do not hold those qualities as important demean themselves by their behavior and probably cheat at many other things as well.

Last cruise on the Diamond Princess first night elite lounge was filled with people who had just stumbled across it whilst exploring. We sat with some lovely "NEWBIES" (ie Blue cruise cards) who were not there to "cheat" they were totally clueless - eating all the nibbles and when I (kindly) explained about Black for elite, Silver for Platinum, Ruby, Gold and Blue .... bless them, they were totally mortified that they had stumbled in to something that they were not entitled to. We did not ask them to leave .... but chatted happily whilst they finished their nibbles .... and then we headed to Dinner. I hope that we made them feel okay and now they understand how the loyalty program works for Princess. Hope they travel again with Princess too.

Edited by OZdownunder2013
typo

Stop being Platinum/Elite/Suite snobs. We have been in the Skywalkers many times when there were very few people. If we started a good conversation with someone that wasn't "eligible" we had them stay as our guests (which you can do). I get tired of the Elites that can't wait to tell everyone how great they are for their Princess "status".

Get a life. You didn't earn anything, you bought your status. Nobody really cares how many cruise days you have, the fact that you get free laundry, and on and on. Just thank God you have had the opportunity to cruise as much as you have and strive to have conversations about something worthwhile.

Stop being Platinum/Elite/Suite snobs. We have been in the Skywalkers many times when there were very few people. If we started a good conversation with someone that wasn't "eligible" we had them stay as our guests (which you can do). I get tired of the Elites that can't wait to tell everyone how great they are for their Princess "status".

Get a life. You didn't earn anything, you bought your status. Nobody really cares how many cruise days you have, the fact that you get free laundry, and on and on. Just thank God you have had the opportunity to cruise as much as you have and strive to have conversations about something worthwhile.

I agree with you in general, but it isn't us. It's Princess. If they wanted no distinctions, they could make all cruise cards the same, and not put our color outside our door, and all that. Plainly "card envy" is part of their marketing.

Edited by Wehwalt

Stop being Platinum/Elite/Suite snobs. ...... I get tired of the Elites that can't wait to tell everyone how great they are for their Princess "status"........ Get a life. You didn't earn anything, you bought your status. Nobody really cares how many cruise days you have, the fact that you get free laundry, and on and on. Just thank God you have had the opportunity to cruise as much as you have and strive to have conversations about something worthwhile.

Thank you for your comments. You have contributed to another worthwhile conversation. Loyalty clubs provide a wonderful service - to reward us for patronage. As for your comment on "snobs" ....... well......... enough said..... sincerely and with respect.

It is pretty much open to anyone who shows up. Usually there is just a sign on a table somewhere that says elite lounge. If there is someone there just tell them you are in a suite as you walk in.

On the Royal 2 weeks ago, your card now includes the word 'suite' -- I don't know if that has spread to other ships yet or not. Should platinum/elite/suite lounge staff want to enforce the rule, it will now be much easier for them.

We saw a passenger in FLL try to go to the elite boarding area saying she was in a suite (she had a gold card and wasn't in a suite because she gave her cabin number and I knew it wasn't a suite). Staff politely pointed out that her card would have 'suite' noted and it didn't. If that was an error, they told her to return to the check in desk. She didn't pursue it.

So, it is alright to partake in benefits that we do not earn? Sorry but my standards are a bit higher than that.

still missing how this lounge is a benefit :) i will gladly give up my spot so princess can make more money off of their elites and whoever wants to crash there

still missing how this lounge is a benefit :) i will gladly give up my spot so princess can make more money off of their elites and whoever wants to crash there

Is this conversation going anywhere? The reason I wanted to be Elite is that I felt the benefits (principally laundry and tendering) would enhance my experience. I no longer have to worry about spending several hours diving in and out of an overcrowded, overheated, laundry room when I could be escaping completely. I can go down and go on a tender when I want to, rather than when number 29 comes up. In the 46 nights I've been platinum or Elite, I've never entered the lounge because I don't go to sit down dinner and so am not minded to have a drink before.

After this, I'm waiting for the blue cards to storm the barricade and consign us to the deep.

Is this conversation going anywhere? The reason I wanted to be Elite is that I felt the benefits (principally laundry and tendering) would enhance my experience. I no longer have to worry about spending several hours diving in and out of an overcrowded, overheated, laundry room when I could be escaping completely. I can go down and go on a tender when I want to, rather than when number 29 comes up. In the 46 nights I've been platinum or Elite, I've never entered the lounge because I don't go to sit down dinner and so am not minded to have a drink before.

After this, I'm waiting for the blue cards to storm the barricade and consign us to the deep.

So this what I have to look forward to as soon as I get 38 more days at sea under my belt.....:eek::D:eek:

Bob

p.s. Wonder how long before the mod's shut this thread down?

It is pretty much open to anyone who shows up. Usually there is just a sign on a table somewhere that says elite lounge. If there is someone there just tell them you are in a suite as you walk in.

Back in October, I tried going to the Elite/Suite Lounge (I was in a suite) while sailing the Royal. I gave up after two or three attempts because it was always super crowded probably due to the number of elites onboard. During my attempts to enjoy the perk and on occasion I happened to walk by the lounge, I never saw a crew member at the door.....:):):)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

definitely not knocking being elite-i agree those are great benefits -- especially the tender for me. i also dont complain about the mini bar and the onboard credit which is great. i just don't think the lounge is a benefit especially seeing how the other lines have complimentary lounges. felt more insulted when they raised the price on the one drink. not knocking the elite thing just voicing my opinion :)

Actually, I did earn my Elite status... by working two full-time jobs (80-90 hours a week) for over fifteen years, saving and investing wisely. No one helped me or gave me anything. Now, I get to enjoy the results, living well and enjoying cruises. I thank God I have my health and the opportunity to make so many cruising friends, both online and in person. I'm an Elite, not because I'm a snob but because I've earned the benefits and enjoy them. I couldn't have "paid" for them if I hadn't earned the money first.

Edited by Pam in CA

Actually, I did earn my Elite status... by working two full-time jobs (80-90 hours a week) for over fifteen years, saving and investing wisely. No one helped me or gave me anything. Now, I get to enjoy the results, living well and enjoying cruises. I thank God I have my health and the opportunity to make so many cruising friends, both online and in person. I'm an Elite, not because I'm a snob but because I've earned the benefits and enjoy them. I couldn't have "paid" for them if I hadn't earned the money first.

Your statement doesn't make sense. You can buy a Super Bowl ring on Ebay right now. If you bought it, would you tell everyone you earned it? No, you would have to say you bought it!

Edited by boxztrs

Your statement doesn't make sense. You can buy a Super Bowl ring on Ebay right now. If you bought it, would you tell everyone you earned it? No, you would have to say you bought it!

actually you can buy that super bowl ring but you can't buy the elite status so the comparison doesn't make sense- you actually have to go on the cruises you pay for, not just purchase it and not go. so you do earn it by actually going on those cruises which is an action other than just forking money over. cruising all of that time is a lot of work, the planning can be brutal ;)

and this is coming from someone who hides her black card because i'm slightly embarrassed (i do take my benefits though :) )

Why do you go to a venue where you will be subjected to these people?

• 3 months later...

As a younger man I spent some time at a nightclub that had a really dead corner. You couldn't see the band, it was far from the bar, nobody sat there.

The owner put up velvet ropes and a guard to keep people out of that section. Immediately people started trying to bribe their way in... in a month it was the VIP section.

whenever I hear about people trying to sneak into something like the Elite club, and whenever I hear people talking about how people "don't deserve" or "haven't earned" their way into such a club... I think of that dirty corner of a nightclub that nobody cared about...

That is why you say you are in suite. Those cards look just like all the other ones.

Try that in Sabbatinis and see how far you get! They have a master guest of suite people only, you must show them your card, and they mark you off of their list. By day three, they know your face.

For the life of me, I don't understand people that want to crash something that they are not entitled to, and for what reason? Enjoying a perk you have not earned. Or just another one of the people of today, that think they can get away with anything, and that the rules are not made for them.

Rick

I received my invite for every evening of our 15 day Panama Canal Cruise, however it was from 5pm until 7pm. Our dining was at 515p, so we never made it to the Elite Lounge! oh WELL...MAYBE next cruise we will try anytime dining again.