Elite Lounge?

slomotion

Wow, we are Elites and I wasn't aware of a special area. Sounds wonderful.

They rope off an area each evening pre-dinner for the cocktail of the day (discounted) and an amazing display of nibbles. Nice place to sit and mingle with other Elites. Last cruise UK in July 2013 on Caribbean P, cocktail of the day was $10 instead of $5 but still good value.

They rope off an area each evening pre-dinner for the cocktail of the day (discounted) and an amazing display of nibbles. Nice place to sit and mingle with other Elites. Last cruise UK in July 2013 on Caribbean P, cocktail of the day was $10 instead of $5 but still good value.

On the Caribbean Princess British Isles cruise in mid/late August 2013, the cocktail of the day was $5 (not $10).

Well, gee, that sure denigrates the point of the perk.

It sure does. They'll not turn away a paying customer, though. We sailed on the Royal small ship They did verify if you were platinum or elite. However, on the Golden to Hawaii this year, they did nothing of the sort. Paradoxically, there were few people who took advantage of this perk.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - I travel with my mom and her service dog. We love cocktails in the elite lounge for all the reasons on this thread (the people are super nice) - but also because you don't have to fight for a seat!

I don't see any mention of this wonderful perk though on the website literature. can anyone confirm it is still being offered - we are off to Hawaii roundtrip from San Francisco this Christmas on the Grand.

Thanks loads,

Laura

It sure does. They'll not turn away a paying customer, though. We sailed on the Royal small ship They did verify if you were platinum or elite. However, on the Golden to Hawaii this year, they did nothing of the sort. Paradoxically, there were few people who took advantage of this perk.

Why should they turn away anyone who is willing to buy a drink? You have no choice of drink. It is the drink that they are selling for $5. As for the snacks? You can get much more from the buffet. This is really not a perk.

It is pretty much open to anyone who shows up. Usually there is just a sign on a table somewhere that says elite lounge. If there is someone there just tell them you are in a suite as you walk in.

Think it must depend how many attend on our Diamond cruise in Jan a sign was placed at the door and a waiter checked all cards on entry, we were reading in the lounge one afternoon and a waiter checked peoples cards and advised them that unfortunately they would be unable to stay, we invited the couple we had sat with all afternoon as we are elite they were allowed to stay as our guests

• 2 weeks later...
Never had a problem finding seating in lounge until we went on a transatlantic & if yu didn`t arrive early you were out of luck.

Has anyone attended happy hr. on the Royal? Comments please.

Disembarked from the Royal's Inaugural trans-Atlantic this morning. We only attended a couple of these events. The location was the Vista Lounge and there was plenty of seating. Vista Lounge on the Royal is a misnomer since there is no view to the water. The windows have shades on them. In addition, unlike Skywalkers, there are few cluster seats and mostly rowed seating which is not very conducive for chatting with friends.

Had no issues just off the Ruby on the Eastern Med. If you walk in and then order a drink, your card will be checked to see if you are in the right place at the right time. We did have a couple of folks asked to leave one day. Generally your card gets checked the first day. Same thing in Sabatini's. The first day your card and Suite number is checked and they remember your last name from then on every morning you go for breakfast.

We were on the Sapphire Princess earlier this month and I actually heard a waiter tell someone it was for only Elite passengers, which is inaccurate. And another day another waiter explained to some people that were about to order drinks that they had to leave since neither was a Suite or Elite passenger. That it was a special event. Although another night a group was there with children, it looked like multiple families. I'm pretty sure that the grandparents invited the family to join them. The kids would run across Skywalkers to the food buffet. First time we've ever seen kids there.

Why should they turn away anyone who is willing to buy a drink? You have no choice of drink. It is the drink that they are selling for $5. As for the snacks? You can get much more from the buffet. This is really not a perk.
Actually, you can order any drink which is on the list of specials on any evening. We had Chairman of the Board every night. Yes, there is more food at the buffet, but the featured hors d'oeuvre of the day is not ever offered anywhere else as a "bar snack".

This was on the Crown in July. YMMV. Andy.

Actually, you can order any drink which is on the list of specials on any evening. We had Chairman of the Board every night.

Wow - that is news to me! and good news at that. I wonder if that is at the discretion of the bar manager?

Maddle

Actually, you can order any drink which is on the list of specials on any evening. We had Chairman of the Board every night. Yes, there is more food at the buffet, but the featured hors d'oeuvre of the day is not ever offered anywhere else as a "bar snack".

This was on the Crown in July. YMMV. Andy.

This is another dissatisfaction! This is not consistent on all the ships. Wish they would do all the same thing on all the ships.

Even with this option, it is not IMHO a benny.

Wow - that is news to me! and good news at that. I wonder if that is at the discretion of the bar manager?

Maddle

Wonder the same about this being at the discretion of the bar manager? Knowing this could be helpful to some.

Actually, we NEVER go because we had rather go to our favorite bar where we enjoy hanging out with our pre dinner bar flies for drinks. :D

LuLu

~~~~

Edited by OCruisers

We LOVE the suite/elite/platinum lounge in Skykwalkers. The chairs are cushy comfortable, it's usually sedately quiet and the view is to die for. We always spend an hour or so there before dinner. For us, it ranks up there with the Sabatini breakfast.

Disembarked from the Royal's Inaugural trans-Atlantic this morning. We only attended a couple of these events. The location was the Vista Lounge and there was plenty of seating. Vista Lounge on the Royal is a misnomer since there is no view to the water. The windows have shades on them. In addition, unlike Skywalkers, there are few cluster seats and mostly rowed seating which is not very conducive for chatting with friends.

Thanks for the reply, Were booked on the Royal 11/7 & 01/05

& happy hr has been our social time with travelling friends. Sounds like we are going to be disappointed.

I think depends on the ship policy, but if you ask very nicely and smile sweetly they usually give you the alternative at the same price of the published elite card. Just ask for Fridays cocktail on a Tuesday etc.cheers,

Maybe they should do what Royal Caribbean does. They have a Concierge Lounge for those in Grand suites and above and Pinnacle guests. They serve complimentary cocktails or wine and appetizers in the evening. The Concierge lounge is always available. Room keys for those eligible to use the lounge are pre-set. No need to check ID or worry about others crashing the party for the free drinks.

They also serve Continental breakfast there as well as a food presentation around lunchtime. You can also have complimentary espresso, cappucino, hot chocolate, etc. 24 hrs a day. They have a separate diamond event every evening for Diamond and Diamond + members. On newer ships and during remodels they are adding Diamond lounges.

Suite guests also can get a cooked to order breakfast and lunch in one of the alternative dining venues daily. It is a wonderful system along with the reserved chairs at the pool, theater and ice shows for those in suites. The room keys are gold in color for those eligible for the suite perks and they do check at the pool and and other reserved seating venues and ask guests to leave who are not entitled to the perks.

Small correction, D+ and Pinnacle. You also have an Elite lounge on Celebrity with free cocktails every evening.

• 1 month later...
It is pretty much open to anyone who shows up. Usually there is just a sign on a table somewhere that says elite lounge. If there is someone there just tell them you are in a suite as you walk in.

One time we were sitting up in Skywalker's for sail away from one our ports of call, talking to another couple. We were being lazy and hanging out on the couches next to one of the windows when one of the staff came around to kick us out for the platinum / elite lounge passengers. I told him we were platinum at the time -- he left to come around a bit later to once again ask us to leave. He didn't seem to believe me when I told him we were platinum. He asked to see my cruise card -- so maybe not so easy as one might think.

The drinks are really no bargain so not really sure of the benefit of it all -- but I must say, the appetizers are really good.

We always enjoy our happy hr. times, CP in May was fantastic, Royal in Nov. a disappointment, beautiful lounge to look at, lousy seating & small, also less choice of drinks (no rob roy), & small offering of goodies. Back on the Ruby in Dec. & wow, back to what we are used to. What`s up Princess, testing whether you can cut down again? Our experience on the Royal past guest hr., ordered grey goose straight up & got mostly vermouth, requested same drink again twice & pleaded no vermouth, no go. Face it Princess is testing the waters on what we will accept.