Cruising to Hawaii & Curious

Johnsonclan

It's been a few year since we've cruised and have never taken one this long. So if anyone has a few moments to answer a couple of questions it would be much appreciated.

- How many formal nights can we expect during the LA round trip to Hawaii on the Golden?

- What is the current Princess stance on bringing alcohol onboard?

- Any other tips or hints for life aboard the Golden would be great.

Thank you all in advance & drop me a line if you'll be joining us on the Sept. 26th sailing.

Peace,

- J_Clan

I believe the cruise is 14 or 15 days long? If so, there will be three formal nights.

Princess allows adult passengers to carry on one bottle of wine or champagne and no other alcohol. However, these rules are rarely enforced.

We have done the r/t LA -> Hawaii cruise 4 times, one of which was on the Golden. I enjoyed every one of those cruises, but the Golden is THE best because of the Hawaiian culture immersion that is offered throughout the cruise. Activites are scheduled for things like hula lessons, ukulele lessons, different types of lei making, Hawaiian language, as well as presentations by the onboard historian/naturalist.

What makes it the most special on the Golden is the Hawaiian performing duo named ELUA. They sing frequently, participate in the programs about things Hawaiian, and besides that, are just nice, friendly people.

One thing to not miss is the evening when young Hawaiian hula dancers from a hula dancing school are brought onboard to perform. They put on a great show. But get there early, because the theater fills up quickly.

Just got off the last R/T Hawaii cruise from LA last week. There are three formal nights- one on the way and two on the way back. And as others have said, they allow one bottle each of wine but I didn't see them enforcing the rule.

We had a good time but there were a few things that could have been better if we'd known about them.

-port talks start the very first full day at sea. They expect that all four ports will be discussed by the time you arrive at the first island. I didn't realize that until the third day.

-the Patter isn't as helpful as it could be. Weather and dress code is in small print on the front page (while profiles on crew members are highlighted).

-there is frequently a special lunch or dessert buffet out by the indoor pool that doesn't seem to be announced anywhere. One might eat a late breakfast then all of a sudden see them setting up for something very enticing but you're full from breakfast

- we didn't speak to anyone happy with Anytime Dining on this cruise. Something about the demographics, maitre d, or number of days at sea makes it not work well on this cruise

-chair hogs abound (setting a towel on the lounge and disappear for a meal) and ship personnel do not enforce the 30 minute empty chair rule.

- I thought the starboard side was preferable if you had a balcony. Others may disagree... I only have the one Hawaii trip as reference. However it seemed the direction of the wind on our trip favored the starboard side both coming and going.

If I think of anything else I'll mention it later.

It's been a few year since we've cruised and have never taken one this long. So if anyone has a few moments to answer a couple of questions it would be much appreciated.

- How many formal nights can we expect during the LA round trip to Hawaii on the Golden?

Thank you all in advance & drop me a line if you'll be joining us on the Sept. 26th sailing.

Peace,

- J_Clan

* 3 formal nights.

* Alcohol...as someone said...it's not enforced. You'll be ok.

* Don't miss the husband and wife team of Dave and Leilani...EULA. Dave teaches ukelele lessons and Leilani hula lessons and lei making. Leilani's voice is truly "angelic".

* Other tips: Make sure to visit the International Cafe...great desserts and sandwiches...most passengers walk by it thinking you have to pay...its included. Adjacent to the International Cafe is a (not free) coffee shop that perhaps discourages people from stopping. The Vines offer free sushi with purchase of wine or soda. If you like to sample alcohol, don't miss the rum and tequila tasting...again free. Also chocolate tasting...again free. Make sure to read your Princess Patter before going to bed. Lastly, don't forget to bring your Hawaiian shirts or dresses...you'll have a wonderful time. Aloha!!!!:)

Make sure to go to the theater early if you want to see the production shows... It fills up quickly.

Stop by the International Cafe... The food is free and is wonderful!

The at sea lunchtime buffets will be announced in the Patters. I guess someone did not have his or her glasses when reading them... those buffets are there from 11:30 to 1 generally.

Pub lunches. Those will be announced in the Patters, and held always on sea days.

Check the wood paneling on Deck 6. It goes from the Purser's desk to the theater.

If you like a good cigar, the Players Bar is also very close by...

Enjoy! I love that ship so much we are going again in December!

You're getting a lot of great info already:) We just got off the Star Sunday round trip out of San Francisco. It was a great cruise, we had several wine drinkers on board and they brought several (like 8 or more) onboard No problem. We brought 3 bottles of wine and one bottle of Scotch again no problem.

We on the Golden a few years ago and it was a great trip, like someone said the singing group Eula are amazing and with any luck at all David Cole will be your CD he is very involved.

Oh you already have a pretty good roll call going at;

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1385398

Have you been there yet? Lot's of fun and always lots of info.

Dianne

Aloha Kakou,

Many mahalos for all the kind words....itʻs always nice to know people are enjoying the music and the programs. All your questions seem to have been covered...I know you and everyone else on this cruise will have a great time.

As far as David Cole, he will in all likelihood be on the Sapphire for that time period. Although nothing is set in stone, he is heading back from vacation to the Sapphire and will be there for a few months.

A Hui Hou,

Dave Soreff

(of Elua)

Aloha Kakou,

Many mahalos for all the kind words....itʻs always nice to know people are enjoying the music and the programs. All your questions seem to have been covered...I know you and everyone else on this cruise will have a great time.

As far as David Cole, he will in all likelihood be on the Sapphire for that time period. Although nothing is set in stone, he is heading back from vacation to the Sapphire and will be there for a few months.

A Hui Hou,

Dave Soreff

(of Elua)

The at sea lunchtime buffets will be announced in the Patters. I guess someone did not have his or her glasses when reading them... those buffets are there from 11:30 to 1 generally.

!

I still have copies of all my Patters. I also know there was a Mexican buffet the day we reached Ensenada. There is NO mention of that buffet in the Patter. Maybe it was there on the Sapphire, but not the Golden on our trip.

Just a comment, I never seem to be able to find out just what the special buffets were until I saw the left overs. Very disappointed some times. I have never seem buffet information posted in the Patters, just looked over a few from the past and confirmed that to myself.

A few questions for those recently on the Hawaii run on the Star.

Will the same choices be available on the Star as on the Golden, hula and uke lessons, lei making?

Second part, since those would be enjoyed prior to arrival in the island, what is offered on the long sea days returning to SF?

Anyone do the same job on the Star as the Golden's Elua?

A few questions for those recently on the Hawaii run on the Star.

Will the same choices be available on the Star as on the Golden, hula and uke lessons, lei making?

Second part, since those would be enjoyed prior to arrival in the island, what is offered on the long sea days returning to SF?

Anyone do the same job on the Star as the Golden's Elua?

We did the Star r/t SF-HI in March. Yes those classes were offered.

I honestly don't remember what was offered in the way of activities on the sea days on the way back to SF.

NO ONE did nor, IMO, could do what ELUA does They are in a class all by themselves!! If it were possible, I would vote for Princess cloning them for ships doing the Hawaii R/T itineraries! LOL

If you are considering this itinerary, be aware that the ride can be really "bumpy" from Ensenada to SF. We rocked and rolled the whole way. I suspect we were bucking that current that flows southward along the West Coast.

It was not a problem for us, but those that are sensitive to ocean motion may be affected. The Captain even made an announcement as we were leaving Ensenada that, if you had mal d'mer problems, now was a good time to take whatever remedy you use for it!

I agree with flamono, "NO ONE did nor, IMO, could do what ELUA does They are in a class all by themselves!! "

The Golden had a much more Hawaiian feel to it.

The Star did offer Lei Making but the class was very short you put 24 orchids on the thread with cut straws as spacers. You needed to get in line early for this as there were only a few spaces available and many disappointed people. It was offered on the way home. On the Golden Dave Cole offered different Lei making classes which always went fast.

Uke lessons were offered and again get there early to sign up you will be shocked at the lines. We didn't participate in those.

I honestly don't remember if the hula lessons were available.

Plenty to on the ship, the Hawaiian lectures going over and coming back were good, Rum Tastings, Tequila tasting, :D

I have to head out right now but I will check the patters and see what else I can find tonight

Dianne

flamomo, Sea Fan

Thanks for the comments, I have heard about the pro/cons on Golden vs Star. Unfortunately we need to leave from SF and it is somewhat encouraging to hear of a few good things happening on the Star. I especially like hearing about getting signed up quickly, so I won't miss what is offered. :)

Just a comment, I never seem to be able to find out just what the special buffets were until I saw the left overs. Very disappointed some times. I have never seem buffet information posted in the Patters, just looked over a few from the past and confirmed that to myself.
Maybe it's changed, but when I sailed on the Golden to Hawaii last year, the special buffets out by the Calypso Pool were mentioned in the Patter. Here's an example : a Mexican Buffet is shown at the top of the right hand column from 11:30am until 1:30pm. I checked some other days, and the Pastry and other pool buffets were mentioned as well.

5410618709_377ec63815_z.jpg

Golden Princess - Hawaii - Princess Patter by Jasperdo, on Flickr

flamomo, Sea Fan

Thanks for the comments, I have heard about the pro/cons on Golden vs Star. Unfortunately we need to leave from SF and it is somewhat encouraging to hear of a few good things happening on the Star. I especially like hearing about getting signed up quickly, so I won't miss what is offered. :)

Trust me you will have so much fun, I have pulled out my patters and I'm looking for the buffets also. I don't see any listed, but then I didn't see any left overs either:( I don't know if I can post any of these like Jasperdo did.

Back later,

Dianne

BTW I LOVED leaving from SF even though disembarkation was a pain I would do it again in a heart beat:D

Maybe it's changed, but when I sailed on the Golden to Hawaii last year, the special buffets out by the Calypso Pool were mentioned in the Patter. Here's an example : a Mexican Buffet is shown at the top of the right hand column from 11:30am until 1:30pm. I checked some other days, and the Pastry and other pool buffets were mentioned as well.

Well, I see you have 3 more recent cruises than I, so I will look forward to seeing the buffet options in the Patter while on my next cruise. Star 09-none, Sea Princess -10 none. Or... maybe the Golden wins on the comparison again. lol

Just got off the last R/T Hawaii cruise from LA last week. There are three formal nights- one on the way and two on the way back. And as others have said, they allow one bottle each of wine but I didn't see them enforcing the rule.

We had a good time but there were a few things that could have been better if we'd known about them.

-port talks start the very first full day at sea. They expect that all four ports will be discussed by the time you arrive at the first island. I didn't realize that until the third day.

-the Patter isn't as helpful as it could be. Weather and dress code is in small print on the front page (while profiles on crew members are highlighted).

-there is frequently a special lunch or dessert buffet out by the indoor pool that doesn't seem to be announced anywhere. One might eat a late breakfast then all of a sudden see them setting up for something very enticing but you're full from breakfast

- we didn't speak to anyone happy with Anytime Dining on this cruise. Something about the demographics, maitre d, or number of days at sea makes it not work well on this cruise

-chair hogs abound (setting a towel on the lounge and disappear for a meal) and ship personnel do not enforce the 30 minute empty chair rule.

- I thought the starboard side was preferable if you had a balcony. Others may disagree... I only have the one Hawaii trip as reference. However it seemed the direction of the wind on our trip favored the starboard side both coming and going.

If I think of anything else I'll mention it later.

From what I understand, the CD and his/her staff produce the Patters. The CD on our last Hawaiian cruise (12/22/10) wasn't engaged at all (I barely ever saw him at any activities), but the special tables outside the Horizon were mentioned in the Patters.

• 1 month later...

Thanks to everyone for all of the great input and advice. So you we should be fine bringing some liqueur onboard in the original bottles? I've heard of folks using the plastic bags available at some liqueur stores. Would anyone suggest them?

Six round trip cruises to Hawaii on different Princess ships, all very nice BUT the Golden P. gives you the best Hawaiian experience. If you have a choice between leaving from L.A. (14 days) or S.F.(15 days) I would choose the Golden. We were on the Star out of S.F. in April/May and there were no outdoor buffets or Island music at all,compared to the Golden it was a disappointing cruise.

Peace,

- J_Clan

Hi,

We will also be on this trip. Have you checked out the Roll Call for this yet? Everybody on this is so helpful and have had some wonderful things to pass along.

Laura

Thanks to everyone for all of the great input and advice. So you we should be fine bringing some liqueur onboard in the original bottles? I've heard of folks using the plastic bags available at some liqueur stores. Would anyone suggest them?

Obviously I can't disagree with what experiences others have had, but I can tell you that we have never had a problem taking wine onboard, but we have had bottles of hard liquor (vodka, whiskey) taken from us and returned at the end of the cruise. Recently we have put the hard liquor in our checked bags (of course wrapped and sealed very carefully), carried on the wine, and have not had a problem at all.

Archived