Things to do in Skagway on a budget

Orange Floater

If we do not want to do any paid excursions in Skagway, and we have all day there, would it be possible to do something on our own that does not require an arm and a leg? I would really appreciate your suggestions, opinions, thoughts, ideas. Anything that is good for budget travelers. Thank you!

The National Park Service has talks, films and walks that are interesting. You can take the shuttle for just a few dollars and the walk out to the Gold Rush cemetery is fun. There is a pretty decent museum. If there after mid-July check for salmon runs in the creek. I also enjoy just walking around the town and getting off the main street. Bicycles can be rented as well.

The last time we were in Skagway, we rented a car and drove to Emerald Lake. It was a beautiful drive. I was glad we were able to stop when, where and for how long we wanted.

We're doing a cruise tour in August. I've decided that this time we will walk to the Jewell Gardens. Admission is $12 for an adult.

We walked around town and has a few drinks at the Skagway brewing company but that only took a couple hours max. I recommend having something else planned.

Edited by psyfi

We just got back off the May 11th Radiance....we rented a car and drove to Emerald Lake. A snow storm hit the day before and made the drive intersting in the Camry without snow tires....lady at the Canada border crossing looked at me like I was crazy as she 'informed' me, a Texcas resident that I didn't have snow tires lol....but in normal weather it would be an easy, beautiful drive. Really was awesome....I'm going to see if I can post a picture....

http://s633.photobucket.com/albums/uu53/ksigatmsu7f02/Alaska/

There is a link....the van we were behind is Dyea Dave....he's also in one of the pictures with us....being that we were in such a small car in a snow storm, I followed him and we got to talking at one of the stops....he took us in and told him to follow him....extremely nice, fun guy....we both wished we would have taken his bus....we kept being told we wouldn't have time but he knows exactly when everyone needs to be back and ensures they get there...that was the only reason we rented a car....would have been much better off riding with him....so you may consider giving him a call....

The Skagway City Museum is quite good for such a small town. The National Park Service also has a Visitor Center in the historic train museum that explains the Klondike Gold Rush. Just walking along the boardwalk streets is a lot of fun. Although, it's kind of sad to see so many shops taken over by Diamonds International type places.

Have you done that hike? I have been to Upper Dewey Lake but not as far as Devil's Punchbowl. Great hike!

No, but we are going this summer, and I am leaning to doing this hike. Either that or the A.B. Mountain.

Disclaimer: we have not yet been to Skagway, but we are going to Alaska this summer so I have been researching like a librarian on speed.

I just pulled this from my notes on Skagway possibilities. These are free or very inexpensive:

Ø Days of ’98 Show – three shows a day (roughly 90 mins). $20 pp (less 10% AAA/CAA discount), book directly at website.

Ø Historic downtown area:

o Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park Visitor Center (2nd and Broadway) – open 0730-1900 hrs. Free Historic District Walking Tours several times a day; limited to 30 people, must get tickets at Visitor Centre

o Mascot Saloon Exhibit (290 Broadway) – open 0800-1800 hrs

o Moore House Exhibit (5th & Spring Streets) – open 1000-1700 hrs

o Skagway Museum, aka The Trail of '98 Museum (7th and Spring Streets) – open 0800-1800 hrs. $2 admission.

o Arctic Brotherhood Hall – Broadway and 2nd – look at it from the outside.

Hope this is helpful.

The National Park Visitor Center is a top choice. BUT, you do need to sign up for walking tours, early. They fill quickly and they don't add tours. They have an informative movie and museum. http://www.nps.gov/klgo.com

On nice days, bike rentals are excellent for the ride out to Dyea, nonstop scenery and great riding. Some hills involved.

Lower Dewey Lake is very popular, it's an uphill trailhead, from Spring, across the tracks between Third and Forth.

The Red Onion gives Brothel tours, that are, short, cheap and "informative". :)

Edited by Budget Queen

• 3 weeks later...
What are you interested in? Great hiking in/near Skagway for example. All kinds from easy to difficult. NPS activities are free. Who is "we"? You could rent a car, you could go to a playground if you have kids.

My husband and I willl be in Skagway on June 19 from 7am - 8pm and have booked the 12:40 -4:10 WP rail. We'd be interested to see salmon spawning and swimming upstream. Where can we go before and after the rail ride?

thanks for any tip.

My husband and I willl be in Skagway on June 19 from 7am - 8pm and have booked the 12:40 -4:10 WP rail. We'd be interested to see salmon spawning and swimming upstream. Where can we go before and after the rail ride?

thanks for any tip.

You are too early for salmon. But there is a creek that runs through town.

• 2 years later...
I got forwarded here through another site, but this is great info for anytime, not just two years ago.

Most towns/ports have a web site to support tourism and local vendors. Just google any town's name followed by Visitor Information or Chamber of Commerce. Many will mail you a free tourist guide, ie http://www.seward.com

On the Alaska forum of http://www.tripadvisor, look under TOP QUESTIONS and you'll find a resource thread which has links to popular web sites.... towns, areas, railroad, buses, ferries, the state, etc.

Borrow Alaska travel books from your library. Fodor has a book specific to Alaska cruises , called 'Alaska Ports of Call" and Ann Vipond has "Alaska by cruiseship'.

Read trip reports ( in STICKYs above) to get first-hand suggestions and recommendations.

Use the search tool. On the Alaska front page, type the word 'budget' where it says SEARCH THIS FORUM.

You might like the hike up to Lower Dewey Lake.

Or Upper Dewey Lake, or to the Devil's Punchbowl.:)

Seconded. This is a hike we took last month in Skagway and we loved it. After the hike, we still had time to do some shopping and grab a couple drinks at the Red Onion...with still time to spare.