Booking a last minute New England/Canada cruise

ziggy666

I want to book a late-September, 7 day NE/Canada cruise and I'm wondering if I should book now or wait for a potential price drop.

I live in South Florida and normally cruise to the Caribbean in the off-season. I've always found great deals about a week after the final payment date, but I'm wondering if this strategy will work in New England as the inventory of rooms is not as large.

Your thoughts? I am not at all picky about the location of my room. Thanks everyone.

Just like Las Vegas.

You can bet there will be a Flash sale after final payment and pick up a cabin at a good rate (and hopefully good airfare still available).

Or you can bet that you had better book now, take advantage of any price reductions before final payment, and just not look at what price might be available in a flash sale.

It is a guess. If you deal with a TA, they may be able to tell you how the cruises are selling.

How will you get to the cruise? Fly? If so, be sure you don't lose all the savings on the cruise as the airfare goes up.

If your dates are flexible, you can probably find a one at a better price. The big question is would you still go if prices increase after the final payment date, or be bitterly disappointed if you don't go.

I want to book a late-September, 7 day NE/Canada cruise and I'm wondering if I should book now or wait for a potential price drop.

I live in South Florida and normally cruise to the Caribbean in the off-season. I've always found great deals about a week after the final payment date, but I'm wondering if this strategy will work in New England as the inventory of rooms is not as large.

Your thoughts? I am not at all picky about the location of my room. Thanks everyone.

I have never seen a drastic price reduction after final payment for Canada/ New England. It’s one of those itineraries that usually go up. I live in New York and always hope to find a good last minute deal on any cruise line but it hasn’t happened. Another thing to remember is that Canada/New England is a short season and there is no off peak for that itinerary. The flights on JetBlue from Ft Lauderdale to JFK seem quite reasonable now for end of Sept to mid Oct at $110 each way. I would book now and watch for price drops.

• 1 month later...

Just want to post a follow up to my original post.

I waited until final payment deadline passed and booked this cruise last night (9/22 sailing of Caribbean Princess). I had been checking the rates daily. I booked the cheapest option, an inside guaranty. Airfare dropped slightly too! $200 RT from PBI to JFK. I ended up saving about $350 by waiting.

I was not hell-bent on this cruise and was considering other options for that week, so there was no downside to waiting it out.

I can't wait to sail out of NYC!

I booked the Sept 29th sailing to Canada & New England last month with final payment due July 16th .. our room went up last week $100 & also there is less onboard money offered .. So Iam Happy I booked when I did ..also wanted to get the flights reserved too .. :)

But u never know how it will be ... I did notice the Oct. 20th sailing balcony prices went down quite a bit. That date was never an option for us ... Can't wait to sail from NYC!!

Angela

I booked the Sept 29th sailing to Canada & New England last month with final payment due July 16th .. our room went up last week $100 & also there is less onboard money offered .. So Iam Happy I booked when I did ..also wanted to get the flights reserved too .. :)

But u never know how it will be ... I did notice the Oct. 20th sailing balcony prices went down quite a bit. That date was never an option for us ... Can't wait to sail from NYC!!

Angela

Can't wait to sail from NYC either. We are also booked on the Sept. 29 Canada/New England. Staying in NY the day before and seeing some sights. We booked in Jan/Feb and rates were higher then; have had two price reductions since. Have saved $300 pp. Flights have been reserved since March. We are set to go. Just trying to get our excursions and DIY organized.

I took this cruise late August last year and enjoyed it. We booked a great rate 2 1/2 months out. Rates climbed steadily after that. I've been watching the Oct. 20 sailing for this year, toying with repeating the cruise. $549 pp, small OBC, for the Lido inside I wanted last week. $749 today with no OBC.

I did this cruise 2 years in a row and LOVED it. I wish I could do it again this year, but I leave on the CB on the 27th on a b2b and the added week would mean being out of work for 3 weeks. Not happening.

Archived