Norwegian strike spreads

The Norwegian Coastal Authority has confirmed that most pilot boats are now on strike, affecting a "major part of maritime services" - as at the time of posting the links to affected services are not working, unfortunately, but they say that most of their pilot stations are closed. Until now, just Oslo was affected, leading to various cruises missing a stop or having to embark/disembark elsewhere last week.

http://www.kystverket.no/en/News/Pilot-Boat-Skippers-on-strike-from-Wednesday/

I am due on a Norwegian fjord cruise on RCI's Brilliance out of Amsterdam on Saturday, so I have no idea where I am going to be going....

The Norwegian Coastal Authority has confirmed that most pilot boats are now on strike, affecting a "major part of maritime services" - as at the time of posting the links to affected services are not working, unfortunately, but they say that most of their pilot stations are closed. Until now, just Oslo was affected, leading to various cruises missing a stop or having to embark/disembark elsewhere last week.

I am due on a Norwegian fjord cruise on RCI's Brilliance out of Amsterdam on Saturday, so I have no idea where I am going to be going....

I do remember them pulling this trick last year when my wife and kids were due to visit Oslo. There was a pilot strike, so after a while of circling around by the dock, the captain had to make the decision to move off, as he didn't want the risk of being stuck there, as there wouldn't be any pilot to navigate them out of port.

It's about time the Norwegian government did something about this, cos it's going to start making cruise liners think about avoiding Norway if the strikes escalate, and when you think of the number of Fjords cruises that happen throughout the year, that is tourist income that the Norwegians cannot afford to pass up.

Hopefully common sense will prevail and that the strike is called off, but until you're told otherwise, be prepared for not being able to go ashore, which would be a massive shame, cos it's a lovely city to visit.

Good luck

ScrozUK

Our cruise included 5 ports in Norway. I wonder what cruise line do if they can't dock. Could they still sail into the Fjords and just not dock? I can't imagine them changing all those ports to "days at sea", but it's not like there is lots of "other" things to do in that area!

Has anyone had a similar experience?

The Norwegian Coastal Authority has confirmed that most pilot boats are now on strike, affecting a "major part of maritime services" - as at the time of posting the links to affected services are not working, unfortunately, but they say that most of their pilot stations are closed. Until now, just Oslo was affected, leading to various cruises missing a stop or having to embark/disembark elsewhere last week. I am due on a Norwegian fjord cruise on RCI's Brilliance out of Amsterdam on Saturday, so I have no idea where I am going to be going....

As I read this story, it just seems to be impact in and around Oslo, not the fjords and western coastal areas. A year or two back, they had a similar type "event", but I think the cruise lines were able to use either some creativity or other means to make things work out safely. Hopefully, our ever-wise Meg can give us some added local insights and wisdom. Good luck to all sailing these great areas of Norway.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 71,552 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

I'm due to sail on the Azura on Saturday - really hoping the Fjords aren't affected - it's our first cruise :-(

Good luck on your cruise!! What ports are you visiting? Happy to share some added tips and suggestions if you need any ideas for the wonderful places along that coast. Or, check out a few postings from my live/blog connected below. Wonderful areas!!

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 71,552 views.

As I read this story, it just seems to be impact in and around Oslo, not the fjords and western coastal areas. A year or two back, they had a similar type "event", but I think the cruise lines were able to use either some creativity or other means to make things work out safely. Hopefully, our ever-wise Meg can give us some added local insights and wisdom. Good luck to all sailing these great areas of Norway.

I'm afraid that is not accurate, Terry. It was true last week, but as of 0700 this morning most of the pilot stations are closed, including, just for example, Alesund, Tromso and Kristiansand. It's the pilots on strike in Oslo, but the pilot boat captains in the rest of the service.

Terry, I have read most of your posts...great information and pictures....thank you for your contributions. I am booked on Caribbean Princess this June and July for three back to backs (am I crazy!!! I hope I like the Cruise Director!!) starting June 19 with Norwegian Fjords, then a short Scandinavian cruise then 12 days British Isles. I took your suggestion to book a car Europcar in Lofoten Islands. As you suggest we must pick up the car in Lenkes while docked in Gravdal. Can you recall the distance and approx cost of taxi between these two centres. I am travelling with my son 11 yrs and I am the mom of 50 yrs.

Thanks in advance.

This pilots strike is bad news for all of us who have Norway cruises in the next few days. As of 07.00 this morning most all of the ports are affected meaning cruise ships may not be able to enter and disembark passengers. Lets hope it gets resolved in a day or so.

Terry, I have read most of your posts...great information and pictures....thank you for your contributions. I am booked on Caribbean Princess this June and July for three back to backs (am I crazy!!! I hope I like the Cruise Director!!) starting June 19 with Norwegian Fjords, then a short Scandinavian cruise then 12 days British Isles. I took your suggestion to book a car Europcar in Lofoten Islands. As you suggest we must pick up the car in Lenkes while docked in Gravdal. Can you recall the distance and approx cost of taxi between these two centres. I am travelling with my son 11 yrs and I am the mom of 50 yrs. Thanks in advance.

Cotswold Eagle: I'm afraid that is not accurate' date=' Terry. It was true last week, but as of 0700 this morning most of the pilot stations are closed, including, just for example, Alesund, Tromso and Kristiansand. It's the pilots on strike in Oslo, but the pilot boat captains in the rest of the service. [/quote']

Appreciate the nice comments and feed-back from efghi9. Good luck on your three B2B cruises. That's lots of time on one ship, but there are many great things to see in these areas. It looks as if the distance from Lenkes and Gravdal is about two miles. Don't recall the exact taxi cost.

YES, for our Cotswold UK friend, it appears that things are widening, sadly. As the below article indicates, there are a variety of major impacts, such as oil/fuel supply/access. The union is saying there will be some exceptions made and provided. We'll see how loose and flexible they get on cruise ships. This is an area where such actions could hurt some others parts of local economies in certain, selected parts of Norway. Below is more info as to what is the "latest" in the news media right now.

Will keep watching to see as added stories are posted and updated.

From euronews within the past hour, they have this headline: "Norway public sector strike widens" with these highlights: "Around 50,000 people have now joined a public sector strike in Norway. That’s double the number of workers who began a walk out last week over pay. Operators of boats that guide tankers to the country’s oil refineries have joined the action – which is rare in Norway – and threatens to disrupt oil and gas supplies."

From the Wall Street Journal in Oslo late morning, they have this headline: "Norway Union Pledges No Gas Export Disruption" with these highlights: "A Norwegian union pledged Wednesday not to disrupt gas exports to Europe, amid industry warnings that a major gas terminal may have to close within a week. The strike by maritime pilots and drivers of boats ferry the pilots to vessels has already raised fears of a domestic gasoline shortage, because fuel tankers can't reach their destinations without pilots, and the oil industry warned Wednesday that gas exports could also be disrupted unless the unions allow some exemptions from the strike. Norway's public sector strike was stepped up Wednesday, with no further negotiations in sight. About 47,000 public workers are now striking, up from about 25,000 when the strike started Thursday, according to unions."

A Royal Caribbean blog website quotes company officials that their ships will dock in Norway despite this strike.

Full stories at:

http://www.euronews.com/2012/05/30/norway-public-sector-strike-widens/

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20120530-710503.html

http://www.*****.com/2012/05/30/royal-caribbean-ships-will-dock-norway-despite-strike

Appreciate those who have “tuned in” for these two posts. Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest.

This from a Cruise Critic news article:

In a statement, Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines has confirmed that the itinerary for Balmoral, which departed from Southampton May 30 on a "Norwegian Fjords" voyage, will be significantly altered due to the ongoing strikes in Norway. The line said it would "seek alternative berthing arrangements within other Northern European ports" for the ship, though it has not announced what they will be. Passengers will be advised as soon as the new ports are determined. The line's other ships are not affected by the strikes.

Here is some information about the the pilot boat strike:

Not all the resources of the carrier service have been brought out on strike. Some pilot boat stations have reduced operations, while some places - where services are hired in - are operating as usual.

There's a link on that page to a list of pilot stations that are affected, but it doesn't mean too much if you don't know which pilot stations cover the ports you're cruising to. :( It is clear, however, that in addition to Oslo, the pilot stations for Ålesund, Kristiansand, Tromsø, Honnigsvåg, and Kirkenes are very likely to affect those ports.

Gleaning information from other Norwegian news articles, linked from cruise-norway.no...

An article from NRK implies that all cruise traffic to Geiranger will come to a stop. http://www.nrk.no/nyheter/distrikt/more_og_romsdal/1.8162011

One of the local newspapers based near Flåm expresses concern about lost cruise traffic, implying that they are likely affected as well. http://www.firda.no/nyhende/article6079744.ece

Not that it's a particularly exciting place (aside from being home to one of our RyanAir-served airports), but Sandefjord is apparently open and unexpectedly played host to the Rotterdam on Monday when the ship had to skip its Oslo port call. It was by far the largest ship the port has ever welcomed! http://www.sb.no/nyheter/1-400-cruisepassasjerer-strandet-i-sandefjord-1.7372149

Lastly, a pre-strike article from a business newspaper mentions the number of ships scheduled into Bergen and Stavanger over the next week, so they're possibly affected as well? http://www.aasavis.no/jobb/article6080549.ece

:( It doesn't look particularly good. From my experience on Vision of the Seas at the beginning of the strike, the cruiselines will do what they can. In our case it was a last-minute change of plan to disembark in the wee morning hours in Gothenburg and take buses back to Oslo. However, with so many ports in the area disrupted and a lot of ships making alternate plans, who knows what the different cruiselines will be able to come up with. And of course, it will be interesting to see what (if any) compensation the different companies offer, since some are notably more generous than others.

I'm very sorry for anyone whose plans are disrupted by this. Since we don't suffer from tropical storms or pirates or many other unexpected circumstances, it's easy to forget that there are always things that are out of our control. Lets all hope that everyone can come to an agreement soon! (especially since the local garbage collectors are involved in the strike! ;) )

Also, it may be worth noting that the Hurtigruten ferry essentially has its own pilots and is unaffected by the strike. So those trips should continue as planned.

Regards,

-Meg

PS - I'd nag CruiseCritic to follow the story better in their news feed, since there are likely to be quite a few cruises affected!

I'm on the Azura on Saturday too, and since all our ports of call are in Norway it isn't looking good for us. :(

We have a few days grace hopefully. Lets hope it's over by Monday.

Here is some information about the the pilot boat strike:

There's a link on that page to a list of pilot stations that are affected, but it doesn't mean too much if you don't know which pilot stations cover the ports you're cruising to. :( It is clear, however, that in addition to Oslo, the pilot stations for Ålesund, Kristiansand, Tromsø, Honnigsvåg, and Kirkenes are very likely to affect those ports.

Gleaning information from other Norwegian news articles, linked from cruise-norway.no...

An article from NRK implies that all cruise traffic to Geiranger will come to a stop. http://www.nrk.no/nyheter/distrikt/more_og_romsdal/1.8162011

One of the local newspapers based near Flåm expresses concern about lost cruise traffic, implying that they are likely affected as well. http://www.firda.no/nyhende/article6079744.ece

Not that it's a particularly exciting place (aside from being home to one of our RyanAir-served airports), but Sandefjord is apparently open and unexpectedly played host to the Rotterdam on Monday when the ship had to skip its Oslo port call. It was by far the largest ship the port has ever welcomed! http://www.sb.no/nyheter/1-400-cruisepassasjerer-strandet-i-sandefjord-1.7372149

Lastly, a pre-strike article from a business newspaper mentions the number of ships scheduled into Bergen and Stavanger over the next week, so they're possibly affected as well? http://www.aasavis.no/jobb/article6080549.ece

:( It doesn't look particularly good. From my experience on Vision of the Seas at the beginning of the strike, the cruiselines will do what they can. In our case it was a last-minute change of plan to disembark in the wee morning hours in Gothenburg and take buses back to Oslo. However, with so many ports in the area disrupted and a lot of ships making alternate plans, who knows what the different cruiselines will be able to come up with. And of course, it will be interesting to see what (if any) compensation the different companies offer, since some are notably more generous than others.

I'm very sorry for anyone whose plans are disrupted by this. Since we don't suffer from tropical storms or pirates or many other unexpected circumstances, it's easy to forget that there are always things that are out of our control. Lets all hope that everyone can come to an agreement soon! (especially since the local garbage collectors are involved in the strike! ;) )

Also, it may be worth noting that the Hurtigruten ferry essentially has its own pilots and is unaffected by the strike. So those trips should continue as planned.

Regards,

-Meg

PS - I'd nag CruiseCritic to follow the story better in their news feed, since there are likely to be quite a few cruises affected!

Thanks for all the details, Meg. I can deal with missing Oslo (I've spent a lot of time there, both on cruises and land vacations), but I'm upset about missing Kristiansand. A penpal from my days in high school (more than 45 years ago) lives there, and I really wanted to visit with him. But we're not scheduled to be there until 1 July, so with any luck and good sense on both parts this will be settled by then.

I have had a quick scout round the AIS data this morning. There are cruise ships in Gerainger, Bergen and Stavanger this morning. The Queen Victoria is just arriving at Trondheim. The Rotterdam is out of range, but her last track shows her heading down the fjord towards Flam. The Aurora is steaming south off the coast, heading home - according to a well known cruise calendar she was supposed to be in Stavanger? Nothing in Alesund or Molde, but nothing on the calendar anyway.

So it looks as if cruise ship operations on the west coast are not being too badly affected. Things can change, of course.

I have had a quick scout round the AIS data this morning. There are cruise ships in Gerainger, Bergen and Stavanger this morning. The Queen Victoria is just arriving at Trondheim. The Rotterdam is out of range, but her last track shows her heading down the fjord towards Flam. The Aurora is steaming south off the coast, heading home - according to a well known cruise calendar she was supposed to be in Stavanger? Nothing in Alesund or Molde, but nothing on the calendar anyway.

So it looks as if cruise ship operations on the west coast are not being too badly affected. Things can change, of course.

Thanks Cotswold. I read last night that the Captain on the Aurora was heading back to Southampton early because they couldn't dock?

We're scheduled to be in the fjords mid-July, keeping my fingers crossed the Norwegian government will step in, tourism is one of the big source of income, hopefully they'd want to get this settled asap.

ScrozUK, do you remember how long the strike went on last year, that might give us an indication.

Just read on a news site, that it is only the boat crews that take the pilots to the ships that are on strike, but not the helicopter crews.

We are on Brilliance on Sat, and she has a helipad, so hope they will use this instead.

Talked to our TA, who is in touch with RCL. No news of any changes yet. But if the Brilliance does a Balmoral, and goes elsewhere in Germany/Baltics, we will cancel, as we live in Germany and have been to all the other Baltic ports (apart from Oslo).:(

It is very unlikely that the strike will last more than a few weeks. This strike is affecting far more than just the pilot boats, and has the potential to cause some serious disruptions to the country if it goes on for too long. Also, regarding the pilots in particular, there are strong concerns about being able to get fuel and other goods into the ports, so there is a lot of pressure to work things out quickly.

Posted on the RCI UK website:

Vision of the Seas and Brilliance of the Seas

*Strikes in Norway

May 31, 2012

Vision of the Seas will call to Geiranger, Norway, today, Thursday, May 31, spend Friday, June 1, at sea and conclude its sailing in Gothenburg, Sweden, on Saturday, June 2. The sailing was scheduled to end in Oslo.

Brilliance of the Seas will call on Bergen, Norway, today, Thursday, May 31, spend Friday, June 1, at sea and conclude its sailing in Amsterdam, Netherlands, on Saturday, June 2, as scheduled.

Archived