Options for getting from Anchorage to Seward

mrell345

I have seen a few questions from people talking about getting to Seward from Anchorage and I thought I would do a resume of all the options I have seen. We cruised on the Radiance of the Seas from Seward to Vancouver on the 18th of May and stayed 2 days in Anchorage prior to departure.

Bus transfers:

Royal Caribbean was going to charge us around $80.00 i believe to take the bus transfer from Anchorage to Seward. The trip takes about 3 hours from what I have heard and takes you from Anchorage to Seward, I did not take this option so if someone has please indicate what the check in proceedure was.

Train transfers:

There are two options to transfer by Train from Anchorage to Seward:

The first option that you book yourself is on the regularly scheduled Alaska Railways train that departs from Downtown Anchorage and goes to downtown Seward. It is called the Costal Classic and departs Anchorage at 6:45 AM and arrives in Seward at 11:05 AM. The return trip leaves Seward at 6 PM and arrives in Anchorage at 10:15 PM. This train has two classes of tickets Adventure class at US$79.00 each and Goldstar class at US$134.00 each. The Goldstar service features confirmed seating in the upper level of the double decker dome car, complimentary coffee, soda or tea served at your seat, priority seating in the lower level dining room and a private outdoor viewing deck on the second floor. You can find more information and make reservations on the Alaska railroad site at this link http://www.alaskarailroad.com . There is a baggage check in area at the Anchorage train station. This would be a good option for those wanting to check in to the ship early and/or do a glacier boat tour in Seward. It may seem early in the morning, but if you are coming in from say the eastern time zone you are 4 hours behind that time so you body might still be thinking it is 10:45 in the morning.

The second train option is via the cruise ship transfer train which uses the Grandview cars. The transfer for Royal Caribbean was around US$120.00. The train departs Seward at around 07:00 AM in the morning after picking up everyone coming off the ships in the morning and heads up to the Anchorage airport arriving at around 12:30 PM. The train then takes on the passengers heading back to Seward to get on the cruise ships and leaves at 13:00 arriving in Seward at around 17:45.

You get a comfortable seat in these trains, four seats, two facing forward, two facing backwards around a table. There is a hot meal service ($$) and a bar service ($$) available. The windows on the cars go all the way up the walls and partways around the ceiling giving a great view all around. The doors on the platforms between the cars had the upper halves opened so those of us taking pictures were able to get some great shots without glass windows between us and the scenery.

There are two checkins in Anchorage for this option, one is downtown at the Mariott hotel, the morning of the transfer at 08:00 they will have one of the large conference rooms set aside, you will go there (with you bags tagged with your ship luggage tags) and start the process. You will hand in your bags and fill out a health questionaire. Once they have verified you have your passports and proper cruise documentation you will be given your ticket for the train and your bus transfer from downtown to the airport. At the appropriate time you will be called in groups to get on the busses to the airport train lounge. Once at the airport you will wait in the lounge to embark on the train.

If you are arriving directly at the airport you must be there no later than 11:00 AM for this transfer option, in the baggage area there will be a number of agents from your cruise ship company who will direct you to your counter, where, you will turn in your bags, have your documentation verified and fill out the health questionaire. They will give you a train ticket, and you must get one with your train car number and seat assinment on it, and direct you to the train waiting area.

We rented a car from the airport and stayed two days, originally we were supposed to check in downtown at the Mariott, but we talked to the agent there on the first night we arrived and asked her if we could just check in at the airport after returning the car. She said no problems, took our names and everything went fine when we dropped our bags at the Royal Carribbean desk at the airport on the morning of the 18th.

The train trip is wonderfull with lots of spectacular scenery. I would highly recommend this over the bus for anyone doing the transfer. This train stops right by the cruise ship terminal in Seward and we walked about 100 feet to the terminal then maybe another 250 feet on the other side to get on the ship.

Car Rentals: Hertz (and maybe AVIS) have car rental locations in Seward, so it is possible to rent a car at the Anchorage airport and drop the cars in Seward and vice versa, be adivsed that you will be charged a minimum of US$50.00 for a drop fee to leave the car at a location other than the one you picked it up at. I have heard a lot of people say that they have been unable to use points of any kind to book these when they pickup in one location and drop in another. The hertz website for the Alaska locations is http://www.rentacaralaska.com/

There are other options for those doing cruise tours and there are some companies in Anchorage that do do tours and transfers (google Anchorage Alaska Tours).

Have fun

There is only Hertz available for a car rental Anchorage/Seward.

There is also very good bus service, independent, some offering added tours.

You neglect to mention the possibility of 2 for 1 coupons for Alaska RR. :)

Glacier tours are out of Whittier, not Seward. You do have a portion of a Kenai Fjords boat tour glacier viewing, but it is a small fraction of time compared to the overall. This tour is about scenery and varied wildlife. It is a top tour choice, for many and a "must" for those interested in Alaska wildlife.

If we do Alaska again, it will probably be with Princess so we would most likely be sailing out of Whittier, no where near the scenery you get on the train to Seward though from what I can see. Where did you find the 2 for 1 coupons for the Railroad ?

There is also daily bus service.

The Park Connection Bus runs between Seward and Denali, with stops in Anchorage and Talkeetna. They also provide service to Whittier on cruise days.

Also Seward Bus Lines provides service between Seward and Anchorage.

There are a few private transfer companies. At least one has a bad reputation so check the Better Business Bureau for past complaints.

If we do Alaska again, it will probably be with Princess so we would most likely be sailing out of Whittier, no where near the scenery you get on the train to Seward though from what I can see. Where did you find the 2 for 1 coupons for the Railroad ?

Toursaver. Plus use the coupon for a Kenai Fjords boat tour. Excellent deal, well worth the time.

• 3 months later...

If you do a one way rental car, Anchorage to Seward with Hertz (only option) it is much, much cheaper to pick up the car at the downtown Anchorage Hertz location than at the airport. We saved over $700 by switching pickup locations.

If you do a one way rental car, Anchorage to Seward with Hertz (only option) it is much, much cheaper to pick up the car at the downtown Anchorage Hertz location than at the airport. We saved over $700 by switching pickup locations.

What was the cost if you picked up the rental car at the airport?

A $700 savings?

The cost to pick up a yukon from the airport on a Saturday to the following Friday drop off in Seward was to be $1600 :eek:. When we added a day, flying in Friday instead of Saturday we could use the location in downtown Anchorage (next to Captain Cook hotel) that would have been closed on Saturday afternoon and Sunday. So to add one day to the trip and move location the price became $875. We are very pleased!!:)

The cost to pick up a yukon from the airport on a Saturday to the following Friday drop off in Seward was to be $1600 :eek:. When we added a day, flying in Friday instead of Saturday we could use the location in downtown Anchorage (next to Captain Cook hotel) that would have been closed on Saturday afternoon and Sunday. So to add one day to the trip and move location the price became $875. We are very pleased!!:)

I always recommend anyone considering a one way Anchorage/Seward rental to ONLY rent it for as long to get between the two, then rent a regular round trip Anchorage car for other touring. It takes an hour to switch off cars and the savings can be considerable. Most times, doing a round trip Anchorage rental with an alternative company yeilds the most savings.

I always recommend anyone considering a one way Anchorage/Seward rental to ONLY rent it for as long to get between the two, then rent a regular round trip Anchorage car for other touring. It takes an hour to switch off cars and the savings can be considerable. Most times, doing a round trip Anchorage rental with an alternative company yeilds the most savings.

The whole idea of a one way rental, for us anyway, is not to have to do a round trip at all. Once we leave Anchorage we're not going back (at least on this trip).

The whole idea of a one way rental, for us anyway, is not to have to do a round trip at all. Once we leave Anchorage we're not going back (at least on this trip).

So you must be doing only Kenai Peninsula.

My advice is general. If anyone is including Denali park this booking idea can save money.

So you must be doing only Kenai Peninsula.

My advice is general. If anyone is including Denali park this booking idea can save money.

Yes that's exactly right, we are going to Homer for a few days then Seward for a few days then cruise. I thought about going back to Anchorage to deal with the rental car swap but we have other things we want to do that take priority. Sometimes it's just worth the extra cash to do exactly want you want to do to get the most out of your trip.

Archived