Help from you experts!

razzinger

2 couples coming in Jan 19, 2013, to FLL, around noon. We cruise from Port Everglades the next day on the Freedom.

Heres where we could use some good advice!

Best bet on securing a nice hotel convenient to FLL, the port, and shopping/sightseeing either by water taxi or taxi, looking for 2 rooms, and love using Priceline, but not sure what paramaters might bring the best luck, and how soon we should secure the rooms?

Also we will need to get to the port Sunday morning, could use advice there, figuring some hotels might offer shuttles, others will not; what to do?

Figure we will use cruise shuttle from the peir to the airport the day we get off the ship.

This will be our first time travelling with the other couple, all physically capable of getting around just not sure what to try. Did I also mention my wife and I are cheap? LOL Loooking to keep as many dollars in our pocket while still seeing some of Ft Lauderdale.

Thanks for all the great ideas that I'm sure will be forth coming!!

A fellow Richmonder, how about that and a long time member of CC.

I hope you are flying R/T on jet blues non stop, its a great flight.

Anyway, we have used the renaissance(they have jumped their price) on 17th and if you want to stay on the beach we have used the bahia mar(still close to the port). For our next cruise from PE later this year we are staying at the hilton marina, also on 17th st... They had a great price directly for a senior rate.

We always use a cab from FLL to the hotel and the next morn to the port. Its all very close. 15$ from the airport and 10$ to the port. And a cab back to the AP.

We love the water taxi, one price and you can ride all day sightseeing.

We have used the discounters, but by shopping around we have managed to get good prices directly with the REN & Hilton. We used priceline I think for the bahia mar

Its not to early to book. JB's flights open up 6 to 8 months out and we book the hotel right after the flights.

A fellow Richmonder, how about that and a long time member of CC.

I hope you are flying R/T on jet blues non stop, its a great flight.

Anyway, we have used the renaissance(they have jumped their price) on 17th and if you want to stay on the beach we have used the bahia mar(still close to the port). For our next cruise from PE later this year we are staying at the hilton marina, also on 17th st... They had a great price directly for a senior rate.

We always use a cab from FLL to the hotel and the next morn to the port. Its all very close. 15$ from the airport and 10$ to the port. And a cab back to the AP.

We love the water taxi, one price and you can ride all day sightseeing.

We have used the discounters, but by shopping around we have managed to get good prices directly with the REN & Hilton. We used priceline I think for the bahia mar

Its not to early to book. JB's flights open up 6 to 8 months out and we book the hotel right after the flights.

Thanks for sharing! Jet Blue has opened flights last week for our dates, but the price is $100 or more, so we are holding out on flights.

We hope to do the water taxi, heard its great, but @$30 each plus dinner out may keep the wife from getting on board. We are in Chesterfield, this will be our 5th cruise, second on Carnival. Our friends are taking a plunge making this their first Carnival Cruise, after many with the others.

I belive the water taxi has a discounted fare in the evening,maybe after 5.It has gone up in the past few years.

Good luck on the flights. Ours with JB were 520$ rt for 2. Last year it was 550$. I doubt the price will go down as you get closer. We have used them 4 times and each time it was in the low to mid 500's and by the time the cruise rolled around the price was 800 to 1200.

We are in henrico. Royal caribbean is our line of choice.

We love cruising out of FLL, easy non-stop flight, and the port is great.

I don't use Priceline. Generally I book directly with a property.

I've found that shopping for hotels is better done early rather than later. In Sept/Oct I've found that Ft Lauderdale hotel prices for January tend to go up.

Same with car rentals, although sometimes one can improve the rate a week or two out.

I know you said taxis, but with two couples you might want to consider renting a mini-van. Unless you travel very light a typical cab will not take four people plus their luggage. Mini-vans seem to have a significantly better rate than SUV. At least they did when I looked last year.

Enjoy your cruise.

I belive the water taxi has a discounted fare in the evening,maybe after 5.It has gone up in the past few years.

Good luck on the flights. Ours with JB were 520$ rt for 2. Last year it was 550$. I doubt the price will go down as you get closer. We have used them 4 times and each time it was in the low to mid 500's and by the time the cruise rolled around the price was 800 to 1200.

We are in henrico. Royal caribbean is our line of choice.

We love cruising out of FLL, easy non-stop flight, and the port is great.

Right now JB is over $700, Delta is $500 per couple RT. I know you pay a luggage fee to Delta, but its still cheaper, but we are patient.

We loved RCCL, but the price takes the fun out. Celebrity was great as well. This is our first time to FLL, fingers are crossed!

I don't use Priceline. Generally I book directly with a property.

I've found that shopping for hotels is better done early rather than later. In Sept/Oct I've found that Ft Lauderdale hotel prices for January tend to go up.

Same with car rentals, although sometimes one can improve the rate a week or two out.

I know you said taxis, but with two couples you might want to consider renting a mini-van. Unless you travel very light a typical cab will not take four people plus their luggage. Mini-vans seem to have a significantly better rate than SUV. At least they did when I looked last year.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks for your help! I'm thinking we could each do our own cab, meeting at the hotel, meeting at the pier, no need to load into one vehichle.

Seems like alot of folks using Priceline or others are getting some great hotels in the $80-100 range, thats what we are hoping for.

If you are cheap, don't use the cruise shuttle to the airport. Much cheaper and faster by taxi in this case.

Try Lastminutetravel for rooms. We have gotten some very good deals.

Thank you!

I would suggest bidding on 3* Fort Lauderdale beach area (Gallery One, Courtyard, Bahia Mar) or 4* downtown (Renaissance) and you will be in good areas for sightseeing, water taxi, and not far from port. This is based on current info on betterbidding. You won't get free shuttles but you'll be saving on the hotel and taxis won't cost too much.

I would suggest bidding on 3* Fort Lauderdale beach area (Gallery One, Courtyard, Bahia Mar) or 4* downtown (Renaissance) and you will be in good areas for sightseeing, water taxi, and not far from port. This is based on current info on betterbidding. You won't get free shuttles but you'll be saving on the hotel and taxis won't cost too much.

Sounds like a plan, thank you! Is sooner the better, or should I wait a few monthes?

This is a holiday weekend (Martin Luther King Birthday is celebrated on January 21) so hotel and plane tickets may be higher.

So far tickets are reasonable. but Air Tran has not released flights out that far; so I'm hoping they may drop once they release that info. Thanks for theadvice!

You do not have to hire two cabs. There are suv cabs that will easily transport four with bags. And for the same cost as a car cab.

Definitely do NOT sign up for any cruise transfers. Ft is a small area and you won't pay over $20 with tip for your rides.

I agree to use priceline, hotwire or lastminutetravel if you want to save money on rooms. I presume you will get TWO rooms? (Don't use PL if you are planning on a aroom for four.) If you use pl, bid 3 star beach and your hotel will be convenient for walking to restaurants. I'd start at $110 for that date. A Sat. around a holiday in Jan...= higher rates. :o

You do not have to hire two cabs. There are suv cabs that will easily transport four with bags. And for the same cost as a car cab.

Definitely do NOT sign up for any cruise transfers. Ft is a small area and you won't pay over $20 with tip for your rides.

I agree to use priceline, hotwire or lastminutetravel if you want to save money on rooms. I presume you will get TWO rooms? (Don't use PL if you are planning on a aroom for four.) If you use pl, bid 3 star beach and your hotel will be convenient for walking to restaurants. I'd start at $110 for that date. A Sat. around a holiday in Jan...= higher rates. :o

Thanks for the info. Yes, we plan on two rooms for one night, 3 star is fine, just want to be safe and fairly close to port. A cab suv or van would be great, thanks again!

www.betterbidding.com will give you an almost 100% list of the 3-star hotels in each area you are considering, along with recent winning bids and help with bidding strategies.

Since that's a holiday weekend in prime tourist season I would reserve something that can be cancelled without penalty NOW! Then keep shopping for a better deal. We like the Embassy Suites - big rooms, nice breakfast, close to the port, shopping and dining options within walking distance, and free happy hour! :D

Good luck! :)

www.betterbidding.com will give you an almost 100% list of the 3-star hotels in each area you are considering, along with recent winning bids and help with bidding strategies.

Since that's a holiday weekend in prime tourist season I would reserve something that can be cancelled without penalty NOW! Then keep shopping for a better deal. We like the Embassy Suites - big rooms, nice breakfast, close to the port, shopping and dining options within walking distance, and free happy hour! :D

Good luck! :)

Checked Embassy and it says $289 a night, no way I'll pay that, hardly paid that for the cruise! Hopefully Priceline will come thru once we have our airfare purchased so our timing works the way we hope. Thanks for your insight!

Checked Embassy and it says $289 a night, no way I'll pay that, hardly paid that for the cruise! Hopefully Priceline will come thru once we have our airfare purchased so our timing works the way we hope. Thanks for your insight!

Days Inn, Ramada and Super 8 are all reasonably priced budget hotels offering free airport shuttles; taxi from any to the port should be under $20 or so. Since it is a holiday weekend in January in south FLA I would not count on Priceline; book something NOW that you can live with and then keep shopping. Good luck! :)

We, too, are from Virginia (Shenandoah Valley) and are flying Jet Blue the Saturday before Labor Day for $563. Thought that was a reasonable deal. Checked the fares from Charlottesville, and they were MUCH higher. We, too, really like Jet Blue and the fact that it is non-stop to FLL.

FLL is the perfect place to utilize priceline. We often get the 4* Renaissance for about $85/night. But with your 1/19/13 date, especially MLK weekend, I would expect to pay at least twice as much for a good deal. The best priceline deals come 3-4 weeks or less before your stay, so you need a good backup that you can cancel. Lastminutetravel is a good place for backup hotels. I just checked LMT for 1/19 and there are no outstanding deals right now.

On LMT you can decypher which hotel you are getting from the photos. There is a 3.5* in the Port Everglades area for $224/night, and from the photos, it must be the Embassy Suites. Since you are two couples, would you be open to sharing a suite? You would probaby get a free breakfast too. You can always cancel if/when you get something better.

Make sure your read and understand the information on biddingfortravel before you use priceline.

Some other advice, a free port or aiport shuttle is a non-issue in FLL. Everything is very close and taxis are cheap and much more convenient. Even if I had a free shuttle, I would just hop in a taxi for $10. The shuttles are not worth the waiting and aggravation when you are on vacation. I know you want to save money, but if so priceline is the way to do it.

We, too, are from Virginia (Shenandoah Valley) and are flying Jet Blue the Saturday before Labor Day for $563. Thought that was a reasonable deal. Checked the fares from Charlottesville, and they were MUCH higher. We, too, really like Jet Blue and the fact that it is non-stop to FLL.

Is that per person?

We have family in Luray, love the area!

We have yet to fly Jet Blue or Southwest; have never seen a flight that works for us any cheaper on them, but I'm hoping to try Jet Blue if the price is competitive. Right now Delta is $250pp, hoping we can get down to $200 soon!

FLL is the perfect place to utilize priceline. We often get the 4* Renaissance for about $85/night. But with your 1/19/13 date, especially MLK weekend, I would expect to pay at least twice as much for a good deal. The best priceline deals come 3-4 weeks or less before your stay, so you need a good backup that you can cancel. Lastminutetravel is a good place for backup hotels. I just checked LMT for 1/19 and there are no outstanding deals right now.

On LMT you can decypher which hotel you are getting from the photos. There is a 3.5* in the Port Everglades area for $224/night, and from the photos, it must be the Embassy Suites. Since you are two couples, would you be open to sharing a suite? You would probaby get a free breakfast too. You can always cancel if/when you get something better.

Make sure your read and understand the information on biddingfortravel before you use priceline.

Some other advice, a free port or aiport shuttle is a non-issue in FLL. Everything is very close and taxis are cheap and much more convenient. Even if I had a free shuttle, I would just hop in a taxi for $10. The shuttles are not worth the waiting and aggravation when you are on vacation. I know you want to save money, but if so priceline is the way to do it.

Thanks for all that! I am an avid fan of Priceline, I have always been able to "go on the cheap" after doing a little patient research and finagaling(?). We have not discussed a suite, but I don't think it would work. We don't want a Motel 6, but we don't want to spend $200 for a night either. Right now I'm starting to bid as often as possible asking for $75 a room. We have plenty of time to play around hoping to get a deal, but I do think you are right that we should reserve something now just in case! I had also already decided taxis will be the way to go!

Thanks for all that! I am an avid fan of Priceline, I have always been able to "go on the cheap" after doing a little patient research and finagaling(?). We have not discussed a suite, but I don't think it would work. We don't want a Motel 6, but we don't want to spend $200 for a night either. Right now I'm starting to bid as often as possible asking for $75 a room. We have plenty of time to play around hoping to get a deal, but I do think you are right that we should reserve something now just in case! I had also already decided taxis will be the way to go!

$75 in South FLA on a holiday weekend in January -- you'd better pack kevlar vests and bug spray with your cruise clothes because that price will not get you a room anywhere I'd want to stay in! :eek:

Right now I'm starting to bid as often as possible asking for $75 a room. We have plenty of time to play around hoping to get a deal, but I do think you are right that we should reserve something now just in case!

For priceline, I think you are bidding way, way too early. If you think about it, the hotel managers know that MLK weekend is likely to be very busy, so they don't have an incentive to offer cut-rate deals this far in advance. The best deals are likely to be closer to your trip, so you want to be careful about locking yourself into something right now, when you can get a better deal later. Of course you do need to book a backup that you can cancel. It doesn't hurt to start researching now though. Check the posts on biddingfortravel and see what the FLL priceline rooms were going for last January, and when they needed to bid to get the best deal.

I would definitely concentrate on the downtown/port Everglades/17th street or possibly beach area. That area is just so much nicer and convenient, and taxi rides there will be very cheap. It's worth an extra cost. Since you are going on a busy weekend, you might need to adjust your price expectations. I don't think you can get decent place for $75 on MLK weekend. Maybe $120-150 for a 3* hotel with a discount?

I revisited LastMinuteTravel for backup hotels for your date and there is a 4.5* hotel available for $219, and from the photos I can see it is the Hyatt Pier 66. Yes it is expensive, but that may be "the" most desirable place for a pre-cruise stay. The water taxi stop is literally right out the door. It's less than 1 mile to the port. In contrast, LMT has a 3* property for $172 but it gets terrible reviews on TripAdvisor. You are going on a nice cruise, so you don't want to start out on a bad note by staying at a questionable hotel. Remember with LMT you can always cancel, and I wouldn't be surprised if you can get the Renaissance or Pier 66 in the $150 range with future priceline bids. If not then it may turn out that everything sells out, all prices may increase, and Pier 66 at $219 may turn out to be a steal of a deal. Use biddingfortravel for research.

Archived