Anyone stay in an inside cabin?

lrowe70

We had a balcony (in the Med) and loved it. Also have had ocean views for transatlantic and for Alaska (loved the OV as well). We were like many others, rather afraid to try an inside, but bit the bullet and did it for our 2nd transatlantic last fall. We were very pleased with our inside cabin, but when we both got the noro virus we sure did wish we had a balcony for the ability to open the door for fresh air and view the missed port due to being quarantined. :mad:

It's all a matter of personal choice. We would rather take an inside and be able to cruise more often if there is a huge price difference.

Happy sailing to you.

Interesting that you mentioned that - I have commented more than once that I could not even imagine how horrid it would be to be confined to your cabin with noro on an inside. Noro is bad enough, but to be stuck there?!?! I seriously am not sure I could mentally handle it, especially as we often travel with three to a cabin. I cannot imagine three people stuffed in a small room for two to three days well, let alone sick. And the fresh air point? Well, agreed, and enough said about that I guess.

We just came back from the Summit to Bermuda and booked an inside cabin for the first time in about 15 years. We put the money we saved into the premium alcohol package....:)

I will agree that it can be an aggravation to not know the weather but we always go up for coffee and then breakfast and that allows us to see what the day is like. We have never just bolted out of the room straight off the ship, so there has always been a chance to go to the cabin, get a sweater, umbrella, sunscreen, whatever.

I actually didn't mind the inside at all....until the last evening. The ship hit some weather and rocked and rolled all day. By late afternoon I was seasick and felt desperate to get upstairs to see the horizon and get some air. Once I staggered upstairs and did that, I started feeling better....so I guess that would be the negative for me.

Would I do an inside again? Yes, although I swore I wouldn't when I was seasick...:rolleyes: Now, with some distance and no rolling landscape I can remember that we save money and might be able to do more cruises if we do insides....

And, I agree with those who said sleep is better inside...we are much more sensitive to light than we think!

We are experienced cruisers having just booked our 28th cruise. Only one time have we experienced a balcony. We showed up for a European cruise and were upgraded from an inside to a BALCONY! We were so excited but it turned out that we didn't enjoy it any more than our usual insides. Also have been amazed at well traveled and well to do cruisers who opt for insides. We had tablemates from South Africa on our Australian cruise last year that had an inside cabin. They have traveled all over the world and have taken more cruises than I can count but they opt for the best deal whenever they travel. As previous posters have said we have been able to take double the number of cruises by booking insides.

I can't imagine not being able to look outside when I want to, or stepping out for a breath of fresh air whenever needed, just as I do at home or in a hotel. And I don't want to have to put on makeup or change out of my jammies to do so :-) besides, I would be claustrophobic in an inside cabin.

Balconies only for me. Good thing there are options that suit us all!

What would an inside cabin on deck 2 be like? Trying to decide between an inside or ocean-view on this deck on the Infinity next May or June to British Isles. This is a port intensive cruise.

It is like an inside cabin on any other floor if it is a good deal go for it .I also sleep best in an inside cabin . If you take a naps it is better to be inside.

I've done inside, views, partial views and balconies, the only cruise I've every come back with out a regret is the one inside. Maybe I'm cheap but I always wonder what did I get for that extra $ spent?

Just curious...

It seems several threads here are about balconies and suites. I'm wondering if anyone has ever been in an inside cabin and what it was like?

Our first 2 cruises we had cabins with windows because they were small ships and either didn't have balconies or they were sold out.

Our most recent cruise on Carnival we got a spa balcony room and were not impressed with the "perks" that came with the room. We only used the balcony for about 20 minutes total the entire trip.

Since we use our room only for sleeping and bathing, we've never had any desire to book a suite. After the last cruise we don't see a reason to get a blacony again.

I'm facing the same dilema. I've just booked our first Celebrity cruise, a 14-night on the Eclispse. To date I've taken 7 cruises varying from 4 to 14 nights, all on Disney and all in insdie cabins. We've liked our inside cabins and I could never rationalize the extra money for an balcony or an oceanview.

This week I booked a 14-night caribbean on the Eclicpse. Traveling with friends and sort of got swept up into booking a veranda. It is about 19% higher than the inside, and now find myself wondering whether I should change to an inside.

They all say how wonderful a balcony is. I'm sort of skeptical. Got a very hefty onboard credit which significantly softened the blow and brought the difference down to about 10%, but still I find myself wonder if I should switch back to an inside?

Well we got upgraded to Deluxe veranda suite on the Noordam from a balcony cabin, which also was to be our first balcony cabin. It was really nice and I enjoyed it very much, however my DW did not and rarely went out on it. So in a way it was not worth the extra cost and the upgrade. Our next cruise we once again went with the inside cabin and it was fine. My reason for questioning the cabins is the difference in cruise lines, Hal verus Celebrity. Cabin size on Hal is a little larger, but we very much like the itinerary of the Infinity next year.

Last May we did a 12 day British Isles ans alot of people got the nor virus. We did an inside cabin and my husband got sick the 3rd day of the cruise and I was being so careful and constantly wasjing my hands. I did not get sick but was a nervous wreck about it until we got home. The balcony would have been nice in that instance.

been on 22 cruises and had a balcony 3 times and all the rest insides. I don't have a problem with it. Like you said always out and about and hardly used the balcony so it was a waste of money. It is great if you can afford it but I would rather go more often and stay inside

Just curious...

It seems several threads here are about balconies and suites. I'm wondering if anyone has ever been in an inside cabin and what it was like?

Our first 2 cruises we had cabins with windows because they were small ships and either didn't have balconies or they were sold out.

Our most recent cruise on Carnival we got a spa balcony room and were not impressed with the "perks" that came with the room. We only used the balcony for about 20 minutes total the entire trip.

Since we use our room only for sleeping and bathing, we've never had any desire to book a suite. After the last cruise we don't see a reason to get a blacony again.

We have had an inside cabin on the Century and the Millenium. Both were extremely quiet. I was worried I would get claustrophobia but didn't at all. When we went on the Solstice to the Mediterranean last fall, a balcony cabin was the same price as an inside (yaaaay) and we did love having it for that trip. I don't think it is so important in Alaska or the Caribbean. I have never done an aqua suite or any of those pricey cabins...they are the same size as the outside cabins for a ton more money. I'd rather take two cruises with normal cabins than one fancy one, but that's just me. In fact, we are considering a January cruise in an inside cabin again.

I'm facing the same dilema. I've just booked our first Celebrity cruise, a 14-night on the Eclispse. To date I've taken 7 cruises varying from 4 to 14 nights, all on Disney and all in insdie cabins. We've liked our inside cabins and I could never rationalize the extra money for an balcony or an oceanview.

This week I booked a 14-night caribbean on the Eclicpse. Traveling with friends and sort of got swept up into booking a veranda. It is about 19% higher than the inside, and now find myself wondering whether I should change to an inside.

They all say how wonderful a balcony is. I'm sort of skeptical. Got a very hefty onboard credit which significantly softened the blow and brought the difference down to about 10%, but still I find myself wonder if I should switch back to an inside?

For 10%, what the heck, you might love having it. Depends on the weather and you can't predict that. We recently booked a 12-night Silhouette in the Mediterranean, and the cost for a balcony was only $100 more than an INSIDE, so we took it. For that many nights you might love the extra light and space esp. if it's warm enough to be out on it. My husband and I liked getting sushi from the cafe upstairs, then sitting on our balcony and eating it with a pre-dinner drink from the mini-frig (some of the little bottles are the same price as a bar minus the tip).

Wow that sounds like a great deal, $100 more for balcony over and inside cabin and for 10% difference I think I would go for the balcony on that one too, Report back please.

I think it depends on what's important to you. We sailed with friends who had an inside cabin, and when we were in their cabin, DH felt very uncomfortable and confined.

For me, the best part of a cruise is having coffee delivered early in the morning and then sitting on the balcon and reading my book while drinking it, in my nightclothes. For some reason, I don't think X would let me replicate that experience in any of their public spaces.

The other thing we like about a balcony is that it can be a private space. If one of us wants to read and the other watch TV or sleep, that option is available to us.

DW and I have done four Carnival cruises (two with daughter) and one Celeb cruise (14-day South America) on the inside. We're moving to the outside for our 14-day Southern Caribbean cruise on the Eclipse in November. DW found a really good deal (she should be a TA) and the ov cabin wasn't much more than the inside. It doesn't mean a lot to her, but I always wanted a balcony. We normally don't spend a lot of time in the room, but the idea of eating breakfast or watching the stars on a balcony has great appeal to me.

As for inside cabins, if you want to catch up on sleep, you'll do it well on the inside. I have a mental alarm clock that never lets me sleep past 8, even if I go to bed at 5 a.m., so I'll make great use of the balcony.

Yes, we have twice, but I wouldn't do it again. Even though you're not in your cabin all that much, I felt way too cramped for space. Now this was 20 - 25 years ago and now the cabins may be a little bigger, but we prefer the outside or balcony cabins. If you go to Alaska, most definitely get a balcony. Worth the extra cost!

We’ve sailed inside to concierge. We did the Med outside balcony and inside. With the very intense touring on one Med cruise we chose inside and it fit well on two others we had more time to enjoy our balcony and really loved it. We’ll chose a balcony every time with the Caribbean except when you have no choice.

My wife will settle for no less than an ocean view. So, needless to say, we won’t be sailing inside any more.

But inside has a great advantage in price, sleeping, and what you really use your room for.

I just want to add another vote for inside cabins. We have done inside, outside, CC and finally a Grand Suite on Royal. As many have said, insides are the best for sleeping. I just love them. I think where the cabin is in regards to what is on the decks below and above it - is much more important. Our GS on the Freedom was a nice cabin, but it was under the pool deck and we heard a lot of chairs being dragged along at 5:00 AM EVERY morning. What a waste of money. We will be doing a nice quiet inside everytime from now on!

:). The best part about an inside cabin is that you sleep late. You don't know how late it is because you don't have light to tell you what time it is.

Never have slept so well. Make sue you take alarm clocks for both sides of the bed.

Heck, you can just put in a wake-up call. why bother with an alarm clock?

We have had inside cabins several times and they don't bother us at all. I sleep best in an inside, and now that we are retired, as another poster said, it will allow us to take more cruises so it's a no brainer for us. I never used the balcony that much anyway, the only time I miss it is for eating breakfast out there.

Inside cabins mean we can cruise twice as often . . .

Also it "forces" us to be out and about and we usually meet more people than we do when we have a balcony.

Archived