NCL NB Sun to Whittier + 4day Denali

davesgirl51

Taking the NB Sun from VCR to Whittier June 2013 followed by 4 day Denali.

Can anyone provide me with the ins and outs and what to expect from the Land Tour and transportation, lodging, food, excursion costs and transportation at end of Land Tour to I presume Anchorage Airport. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. :)

Taking the NB Sun from VCR to Whittier June 2013 followed by 4 day Denali.

Can anyone provide me with the ins and outs and what to expect from the Land Tour and transportation, lodging, food, excursion costs and transportation at end of Land Tour to I presume Anchorage Airport. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. :)

You need to copy and post the itinerary. I have no idea what you purchased.

I am alarmed that you seem to have this many questions. Did someone else book this for you? What is it you wish to accomplish on your trip? I will be able to give you the details, when you repost.

You need to copy and post the itinerary. I have no idea what you purchased.

I am alarmed that you seem to have this many questions. Did someone else book this for you? What is it you wish to accomplish on your trip? I will be able to give you the details, when you repost.

Hi, I knew you would respond. Don't be alarmed. I travel exclusively with NCL and was merely interested in seeing if anyone had any info on the 4 day Denali Express Land Tour. We are in our 60s-70's and are primarily interested in the scenery, wildlife and food. Not into hiking expeditions or helicopters :)

Cinci

Hi, I knew you would respond. Don't be alarmed. I travel exclusively with NCL and was merely interested in seeing if anyone had any info on the 4 day Denali Express Land Tour. We are in our 60s-70's and are primarily interested in the scenery, wildlife and food. Not into hiking expeditions or helicopters :)

Cinci

Well you had such basic questions. :)

Are you going to post your itinerary?

LOL - it's a 2 day trip into Denali - that's all I know :o called the 4 day Denali Express. Probably I should just call NCL. :D

It looks like it is this one? This really is less than ideal, only has the worthless NHT at Denali, so you have added planning and expense (I would not expect NCL to refund?) if you want to get INTO the park (the only reason to go there), there are long transits involved. All your food is extra, budget 50% more than you would at home.

Tour Itinerary

Day 1 Anchorage

Adventure meets modern living in Anchorage. Get settled into your hotel, then step out and get to know this diverse city. Transfer from airport to hotel. Overnight in Anchorage.

Anchorage Highlights:

• Alaska’s Largest City • Shopping • Plenty of Local Restaurants • Local Hiking Hrails • Anchorage Museum • Alaska Native Heritage Center • “City of Flowers” • City Parks • Nightlife • Urban

Day 2 Anchorage/Denali

Rise and shine! After your Norwegian Cruise Line Tour Director greets you at your hotel, you’ll motorcoach from Anchorage to Talkeenta. Then you’ll board the world-famous Alaska Railroad for a spectacular ride to Denali along the Susitna River, where the wildlife roams. The Alaska Railroad is roomy enough to wander, so enjoy the view from the vista dome car or buy a meal in the dining room. Your afternoon and evening are open for optional tours in Denali. Overnight in Denali.

Alaska Railroad Highlights:

Historic travel experience • Peaceful, Comfortable Extra-large seats in Adventure Class • Local Alaskan Conductor • Dedicated Local Alaskan Railroad Tour Guide • Wandering-style Scenic Gazing from the Vista Dome Railcar • Lighter Meals Available Anytime or Fine Dining Available in the Dining Car • Drinks and Cocktails Available Trainwide

Day 3 Denali

Get close to the astounding natural and cultural history of Denali National Park on a Denali Natural History bus tour. In the afternoon and evening you’ll have free time for whitewater rafting, helicopter flightseeing, hiking or one of the Park Service programs. Overnight in Denali.

Denali Highlights:

• Mt McKinley • Wildlife Viewing Opportunities • Denali National Park • Hiking Trails • Lots of Optional Tours: Rafting, Fly Fishing, Golfing, Flightseeing, Dog Demonstrations, Jetboats • Murie Science Center • Denali Visitors Center • Bus tours

Day 4 Denali/Whittier

Travel from Denali to Whittier. Stop for a little shopping and sightseeing in Anchorage, then you’ll be on your way to Whittier. On the edge of a long fjord, Whittier’s calm, clear waters are full of salmon, otters and orcas. Then board the ship this afternoon for your cruise south.

*Northbound tours operate in reverse

I know that they have been operating these tours last year and this year hoping to get bugs ironed out before they bring the sun back to AK in 2013. The tours begin and end in Anchorage and currently they fly you back for a 7 day cruise on the Jewel. There could be changes made before next year. BTW I would see if you could add an extra day I would opt for the next level tour that includes the Tundra Wilderness Tour (I think this is the one that goes deeper into the park) BQ feel free to correct.

I know that they have been operating these tours last year and this year hoping to get bugs ironed out before they bring the sun back to AK in 2013. The tours begin and end in Anchorage and currently they fly you back for a 7 day cruise on the Jewel. There could be changes made before next year. BTW I would see if you could add an extra day I would opt for the next level tour that includes the Tundra Wilderness Tour (I think this is the one that goes deeper into the park) BQ feel free to correct.

the tour listed above is the cruisetour with the one way sailing. So I would not expect any changes. As, I've already mentioned, it is less than ideal and too much time is spent in transit.

LOL - it's a 2 day trip into Denali - that's all I know :o called the 4 day Denali Express. Probably I should just call NCL. :D

This is a perfect trip for a first timer or someone who doesn't want to fool with rental cars or being on buses into the park for hours. An excellent choice.

This is a perfect trip for a first timer or someone who doesn't want to fool with rental cars or being on buses into the park for hours. An excellent choice.

So, in your opinion, it is best to limit yourself to riding up and down the Alaska highways? (Alaska RR just about parallels this on this cruisetour) And not be concerned about time and activities at any destinations?

So, in your opinion, it is best to limit yourself to riding up and down the Alaska highways? (Alaska RR just about parallels this on this cruisetour) And not be concerned about time and activities at any destinations?

Two opposite opinions about the same excursion!

This 4 day 'Express' might be the perfect option for the OP. A sampler of Anchorage, Talkeetna, and Denali might meet their needs.

OTOH if their priority was to travel into Denali and see wildlife and scenery, only reaching Mile 15 of 100 miles of Park road might not be a good option.

It's not for us to say it's right or wrong, only to point out the details the OP might not notice. This is why people need to carefully review the details of their trip. Look at a map to see exactly where you're going, find out what time you arrive and depart at each location to determine if your sightseeing priorities can be met. Quite simply.... know what you're buying. Make an informed choice.

After reading these various opinions and reviewing the details, the OP might say "I don't want to drive but I can make my own reservations for a train and couple of hotel nights". There are lots of options. Choose the one that's right for you.

Two opposite opinions about the same excursion!

This 4 day 'Express' might be the perfect option for the OP. A sampler of Anchorage, Talkeetna, and Denali might meet their needs.

OTOH if their priority was to travel into Denali and see wildlife and scenery, only reaching Mile 15 of 100 miles of Park road might not be a good option.

It's not for us to say it's right or wrong, only to point out the details the OP might not notice. This is why people need to carefully review the details of their trip. Look at a map to see exactly where you're going, find out what time you arrive and depart at each location to determine if your sightseeing priorities can be met. Quite simply.... know what you're buying. Make an informed choice.

After reading these various opinions and reviewing the details, the OP might say "I don't want to drive but I can make my own reservations for a train and couple of hotel nights". There are lots of options. Choose the one that's right for you.

These are my points. It appears the OP, may be very uninformed about this purchase. With it being next year, there is plenty of time to fine tune.

As a regular poster- you must know, that the priorities of posters are far more frequent for seeing wildlife and scenery vs, no/little interest and it not being an issue. You are right that it could be a tour that is someone's informed selection. But most of the time, it isn't.

• 9 months later...

hello davesgirl51, budgetqueen and mapleleaves:

like you, hubby and i will be taking the 4 day denali park add-on with ncl in june this year on the one-way southbound cruise out of whittier. and needless to say, we are really looking forward to this cruise.

now here, like davesgirl51, i too am confused about the denali park portion of the cruise. when i try pull up any information, the default is the ncl itinerary budgetqueen posted. and like you, we are scheduled for an anchorage hotel one night (where/who????), denali park 2 night (where/who???) and no site or link for any of the tours offered in denali (again where/who???)

i've elected to join fodor's message board (BIG MISTAKE THERE)and was promptly chastized for posting a similiar question as davesgirl51 - "YOU NEED TO CONTACT NCL FOR A COMPLETE ITINERARY - HAL DOES THIS WITH EACH BOOKING". this was a bit snippy of that poster. i was just wondering if anyone had an itinerary from the 2012 sailings and would be kind enough to share information so we can make some intelligent choices for in-park tours.

we did contact ncl regarding the denali portion and were told they (denali people) will be in contact. now that was in early february when we booked the cruise.

we adore ncl, especially the spirit(3 and 5 time sailor), and will only sail with them. i'm just surprised to have a non plus answer from ncl.:confused:

thanks for letting me vent but seriously if anyone has any info about this denali portion of the ncl cruise, please share.

like you, hubby and i will be taking the 4 day denali park add-on with ncl in june this year on the one-way southbound cruise out of whittier. and needless to say, we are really looking forward to this cruise.

now here, like davesgirl51, i too am confused about the denali park portion of the cruise. when i try pull up any information, the default is the ncl itinerary budgetqueen posted. and like you, we are scheduled for an anchorage hotel one night (where/who????), denali park 2 night (where/who???) and no site or link for any of the tours offered in denali (again where/who???)

i've elected to join fodor's message board (BIG MISTAKE THERE)and was promptly chastized for posting a similiar question as davesgirl51 - "YOU NEED TO CONTACT NCL FOR A COMPLETE ITINERARY - HAL DOES THIS WITH EACH BOOKING". this was a bit snippy of that poster. i was just wondering if anyone had an itinerary from the 2012 sailings and would be kind enough to share information so we can make some intelligent choices for in-park tours.

we did contact ncl regarding the denali portion and were told they (denali people) will be in contact. now that was in early february when we booked the cruise.

we adore ncl, especially the spirit(3 and 5 time sailor), and will only sail with them. i'm just surprised to have a non plus answer from ncl.:confused:

thanks for letting me vent but seriously if anyone has any info about this denali portion of the ncl cruise, please share.

I think it would be a mistake to look for answers from past participants and rely on their 2012 materials to make choices for yourself. If NCL - who is whom you've book the program with - is unable to provide answers - I would strongly consider cancelling the tour and rebooking with a vendor willing to give you the answers that you seek.

You aren't seeing some of your answers, as they are listed with what "tour" you purchased. You are NOT going to get any past information- this is the FIRST time it is being offered.

Post your itinerary- then I can give you some answers. And in the mean time- figure out what you want from this trip, why did you select this, are you willing to change? All questions to ask yourself- and no need to publically answer.

It is common for no lodging/touring times to be given out much before 30 days.

now here, like davesgirl51, i too am confused about the denali park portion of the cruise. when i try pull up any information, the default is the ncl itinerary budgetqueen posted. and ncl regarding the denali portion and were told they (denali people) will be in contact. now that was in early february when we booked the cruise.

With your Denali questions- do you know- the gross limits of what you booked with this cruisetour? (assuming it's the same cruisetour listed above?) IF you want to get INTO the park- (no reason to go there if you do not) then you have to- make your OWN changes to this "tour" you purchased. No don't involve NCL, or a TA. http://www.nps.gov/dena take some time, and read up. It's all about distance into the park. There are tour buses and shuttle buses- especially understand the differences and what they will involve if you consider these. With your open day- my min. distance recommendation is Eielson.

Can NCL at least give you the arrival and departure times to each location so that you can plan activities? Especially at Denali ... if you know what time you arrive and depart you'll be able to determine how much time is available for a shuttle into the park. Hopefully to Eielson Visitor Center as BQ suggested.

many thanks for your insight regarding my questions. did some more searching on the web and found icruise.com offers the same ncl land cruise packages from both 2012 and 2013. further, icruise provided a breakdown of hotels used in anchorage and denali; also found approximate time schedules regarding arrivals and departures from anchorage to denali and back to whittier. followed up with possible land tours that were available in 2012 and hopefully in 2013. even found recommendations for possible tour offerings. fyi, the land tours and recommendations did not come from the icruise.com site.

phoned ncl and was told to expect further information on the denali portion 30 days prior to departure date. apparently the 2012 "bugs" are being worked on and hopefully corrected by the time the 2013 "season" opens.

davesgirl51, thanks for starting this thread. hope you enjoy your trip to alaska. mapleleaves, rachelfran, zqvol: thanks for your help.

who is whom you've book the program with - is unable to provide answers - I would strongly consider cancelling the tour and rebooking with a vendor willing to give you the answers that you seek.

Then nobody should be booking cruisetours? It is common for lodges, tour times, transit times etc, to NOT be available until about 30 days prior, on, just about all the cruisetours. You are giving advice without knowing the full details.

Can NCL at least give you the arrival and departure times to each location so that you can plan activities? Especially at Denali ... if you know what time you arrive and depart you'll be able to determine how much time is available for a shuttle into the park. Hopefully to Eielson Visitor Center as BQ suggested.

With road transits- it is common for those itineraries on times, to become available 30-+ days. I can estimate based on what I've seen in the past, but they can and do change.

many thanks for your insight regarding my questions. did some more searching on the web and found icruise.com offers the same ncl land cruise packages from both 2012 and 2013. further, icruise provided a breakdown of hotels used in anchorage and denali; also found approximate time schedules regarding arrivals and departures from anchorage to denali and back to whittier. followed up with possible land tours that were available in 2012 and hopefully in 2013. even found recommendations for possible tour offerings. fyi, the land tours and recommendations did not come from the icruise.com site.

phoned ncl and was told to expect further information on the denali portion 30 days prior to departure date. apparently the 2012 "bugs" are being worked on and hopefully corrected by the time the 2013 "season" opens.

davesgirl51, thanks for starting this thread. hope you enjoy your trip to alaska. mapleleaves, rachelfran, zqvol: thanks for your help.

Being that NCL, flew passengers back and forth Seattle for the tour last year- could definately mean there will be changes. Not sure what your "bugs" Denali Park reference is, but Denali- has their access into the park, well established and scheduled, consistant for years. This should be anyones priority with Denali, and with the current Natural History tour- especially if anyone, booked with no clue what it was. While there is still time to fix it- find out the details, so it can be changed if desired. A change is not always an easy fix, so be certain, all the details and options are considered for the best plan for the individual.

Here is a site for a Tour company that my TA highly reccommends - not sure if BQ approves :) - but they offer a wide range of tours that work with both cruise ships and flights to Anchorage or Fairbanks.

http://www.alaskatravel.com/

Here is a link to my favorite tour pkg http://www.alaskatravel.com/tours/tour-x422.html

Here is their explaination of the Denali tours

http://www.alaskatravel.com/denali-park/tours.html

Good Luck

Archived