Digital camera with a viewfinder???

Hi,

I've been looking for a small digital camera that has a viewfinder in addition to the LCD screen, along wtih manual controls (as I'm technologically challenged) but cannot find one at any of the main stores (Best Buy, Target, etc.). The only ones they have with these features are too large/heavy for my liking.

Does anybody know of a place where I might be able to find one?

Otherwise, I do have a Canon with the above features and the picture quality is good but there has been something wrong with it since I bought it 6 yrs ago - many of the far away pics turn out crooked and I sometimes need to take several pics for each shot before it turns out straight. It's really very maddening and I don't know if I can go thru another trip like this (in a few wks).

Thanks!

I also prefer a camera with a viewfinder - started out with film cameras almost 60 years ago. :eek: Some of the so-called "bridge" cameras have viewfinders - like my Sony DSC-HX200. But I have a feeling you would find it too large and heavy.

Just wondering what you mean by your shots being crooked. I sometimes get tilted shots because I'm in a hurry or it's a fast moving target. I just straighten them using photo editing software.

check out the Sony NEX-7.

I find your constant touting of the NEX-7 as the end-all solution to DSLR quality in a tiny, compact package....well, refreshing! ;)

I am waiting for mine to come tomorrow. I have no reservations about the viewfinder since it is the same as the one on my A77.

Anecdotal evidence of the viewfinder quality: At my daughter's wedding rehersal, my friend (Canon shooter) was using my A700 to capture the event and wanted a longer shot. We traded cameras as mine had the 70-200 f/2.8 mounted on it and he took several shots passing the camera back when he was done. This happened several times until later as we were leaving for dinner, he came by an picked up my camera to use the wider lens I had mounted, looked through the viewfinder, checked the lens...no cap...looked again, then told me there was something wrong with the viewfinder. When I told him that it was electronic and the camera was off, he was shocked that he had been using it off and on all evening without realizing it. Granted he hadn't used it in dim conditions where amplifier gain adds a bit of video sparkle, but it still says a lot about the quality of the EVF.

Dave

For small cameras [pocketable], a couple of the Canon 'A' series cameras still have optical viewfinders. Sadly, that's about the complete list of whats available today.

Some larger / more expensive cameras have optical or hybrid viewfinders [e.g. Fuji X10, X100; Canon G12]

Some cameras [Panasonic LX5] have accessory viewfinders - both optical and electronic options.

As was mentioned most 'bridge' cameras have eye level viewfinders - these are electronic through the lens [like on my FZ-50].

Many EVIL cameras have electronic viewfinders - either built in [Panasonic G series, Nikon 1, Sony NEX7, Olympus OMD] or as an accessory [e.g. Olympus PEN]

Another consideration: If you've been generally OK taking photos with an LCD screen, and are fairly confident you don't really need anything more than a decent P&S camera for your needs, with the only big problem being that shots often end up crooked...you might look for a camera that has a gridline or horizon feature to display on the screen. These can help you orient the shot to make sure it's straight - and then you wouldn't have to look for a more professional or larger sensor camera which will cost more money and might have more capability than you actualy need. Many P&S cameras have a 'thirds grid' that can be put up on the LCD screen, and some have digital levels or horizon lines - by using the lines on the screen, you can easily reference when the shot is level by lining up something vertical or horizontal with the lines on screen.

For a really cheap method, you could draw or tape a small line right onto the LCD (if you buy a cheap screen protector film, you could draw on the film and peel it off anytime so you don't damage the camera).

Otherwise, most of the viewfinder-equipped cameras are going to be superzoom P&S cameras (which are usually much more bulky), mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras (which can be reasonably small, but require lenses to be attached which can get bulky when you need reach), or DSLRs (which are definitely bulkier and heavier). There are a few rare exceptions of cameras with small optical viewfinders, which may or may not work for what you need...but there aren't too many of those left on the market.

I find your constant touting of the NEX-7 as the end-all solution to DSLR quality in a tiny, compact package....well, refreshing! ;)

I am waiting for mine to come tomorrow. I have no reservations about the viewfinder since it is the same as the one on my A77.

Dave when you take your NEW NEX-7 for a spin, let us know what you think. I enjoy all your write ups and looking forward to your review of this camera. I also bought the LA-EA2 adapter to expand my choice of more lenses to use.

Tom :cool:

I tend to hold my camera slightly slanted. Turning on the grid helps at times, but I end up straightening the pictures with photo editing software quite often.

I have not seen pocket sized digital cameras with a viewfinder for at least 2 years. You have have to look at used camers with lower megapixels and less features.

I also prefer a camera with a viewfinder - started out with film cameras almost 60 years ago. :eek: Some of the so-called "bridge" cameras have viewfinders - like my Sony DSC-HX200. But I have a feeling you would find it too large and heavy.

Just wondering what you mean by your shots being crooked. I sometimes get tilted shots because I'm in a hurry or it's a fast moving target. I just straighten them using photo editing software.

Thanks for the reply!

I should have used the word "tilted" instead of "crooked." My scenery shots often turn out tilted (mountains/glaciers) and I have to re-take a few times to get them straight. When others have taken pictures with my camera the same thing has happened so I don't think it's just a matter of me tilting the camera. Perhaps my camera does not have image stabilization and that's why this is happening:confused:

I tend to hold my camera slightly slanted. Turning on the grid helps at times, but I end up straightening the pictures with photo editing software quite often.

I have not seen pocket sized digital cameras with a viewfinder for at least 2 years. You have have to look at used camers with lower megapixels and less features.

I think my camera might have a grid line feature; I'll check and see if that helps. Thanks!

It's too bad they're not making small cameras with viewfinders these days....it sure helps on sunny days to have one.

McDuffy, you never mentioned post-processing or picture editing. If you only print what you get out of the camera, you should try Picassa. You can download it free from Google. With it you can make all the basic corrections like exposure, cropping and straightening. You might find the process fun and creative.

Many cameras have grid lines, so check your manual. In the absence of grid lines, you can line your horizon up to be parallel to the frame of your LCD. Also, both Photoshop elements and Photoshop CS5 will let you straighten the picture in post. Look for a camera that shoots RAW format, because you'll have more options in post. I always shoot in Raw + Jpeg so I can fix it if I forget to check the White Balance.

Many cameras have grid lines, so check your manual. In the absence of grid lines, you can line your horizon up to be parallel to the frame of your LCD. Also, both Photoshop elements and Photoshop CS5 will let you straighten the picture in post. Look for a camera that shoots RAW format, because you'll have more options in post. I always shoot in Raw + Jpeg so I can fix it if I forget to check the White Balance.

Thanks for the reply!

I should have used the word "tilted" instead of "crooked." My scenery shots often turn out tilted (mountains/glaciers) and I have to re-take a few times to get them straight. When others have taken pictures with my camera the same thing has happened so I don't think it's just a matter of me tilting the camera. Perhaps my camera does not have image stabilization and that's why this is happening:confused:

Image Stabilization [or 'Vibration Reduction'] compensates for camera shake during long exposures.

It does not help if your subject is moving erratically [like playing basketball] - some cameras will smooth things when tracking a subject while panning the camera [tracking a race car or runner].

The camera uses the same sensors to know which was was up when the picture was taken. Some photo viewers use this to display the picture oriented in 'landscape' or 'portrait' format

Thanks again for the replies!

I just checked my camera and it does have grid lines :) It's the Canon PowerShot A540.

It's been a great camera but besides the tilt (which I'm hopeful the grid lines will help), the shutter speed is slow. When taking pics on a whale watching tour, it couldn't keep up (when the whales surfaced for their bubble net feeding).

I did blow up some Glacier Bay pictures to 8.5 x 11 (6 mega pixels) and they looked crisp, almost professional some people have commented.

Based on my research today I'll hold off for now and just use this camera for my upcoming trip but if anyone ever comes across a good digital P&S camera with a viewfinder, manual controls, & decent shutter speed, please hollar:D

I have one other question - how often should a memory card be replaced? I have a few (SanDisk & PNY 512MB) purchased in '06. Do you think it's time to replace them?

I have one other question - how often should a memory card be replaced? I have a few (SanDisk & PNY 512MB) purchased in '06. Do you think it's time to replace them?

Memory cards have a lifespan of about 100k write/rewrite cycles, so unless you have been very prolific with your camera and have filled and erased your cards over 100,000 times, you should still be in the safe zone.

That said, memory is so cheap these days that picking up a few 2GB cards and retiring the old ones might be an inexpensive safety net. Be sure to stick with the major brands from reputable suppliers and don't buy anything over 2GB since the A540's card controller can't address the larger SDHC cards.

Dave

Nikon V1 worth a look, super compact, super super fast. Has a few ergo/setting limitations but beyond that not too bad :D

Hi,

I've been looking for a small digital camera that has a viewfinder in addition to the LCD screen, along wtih manual controls (as I'm technologically challenged) but cannot find one at any of the main stores (Best Buy, Target, etc.). The only ones they have with these features are too large/heavy for my liking.

Does anybody know of a place where I might be able to find one?

Otherwise, I do have a Canon with the above features and the picture quality is good but there has been something wrong with it since I bought it 6 yrs ago - many of the far away pics turn out crooked and I sometimes need to take several pics for each shot before it turns out straight. It's really very maddening and I don't know if I can go thru another trip like this (in a few wks).

Thanks!

Thanks again for the replies!

I just checked my camera and it does have grid lines :) It's the Canon PowerShot A540.

Good to hear - those gridlines should start to help - especially the 'thirds' gridlines (the ones that look like tic-tac-toe). They can actually help you in a few ways - one: you can use the upper third or lower third horizontal line to line up the horizons, or the left or right third vertical to line up poles, house or building edges, trees, etc. when framing the shot.

And two (you may already know this, but some others may not): the original purpose of the thirds grid is to help you with composition using the traditional 'rule of thirds'...it's generally considered photographically pleasing to not put horizons in the dead center of the frame, having a subject in the dead center of the frame, or to have a strong vertical or horizontal line dividing the composition up the middle of the frame. Using the gridlines, you can line up the horizons to the lower or upper line, giving the composition more sky or more land/water...you can make sure people are lined up on one of the left or right vertical lines so they aren't centered, etc. Usually this will help your compositions have more drama, more interest, and generally look more professional. Like any 'rule', there are always going to be times to break them - but it's best to learn the rules first so that you know WHEN to break them, and the thirds grid can serve the dual purpose of helping keep horizons straight and also improving composition.

Memory cards have a lifespan of about 100k write/rewrite cycles, so unless you have been very prolific with your camera and have filled and erased your cards over 100,000 times, you should still be in the safe zone.

That said, memory is so cheap these days that picking up a few 2GB cards and retiring the old ones might be an inexpensive safety net. Be sure to stick with the major brands from reputable suppliers and don't buy anything over 2GB since the A540's card controller can't address the larger SDHC cards.

Dave

I saw a 2GB SanDisc memory card pack (2 cards) at CVS Pharmacy for $23.99. I thought that might be a little high so I called Walgreens and they also have the same brand/GB/2 cards for only $7.99. I haven't seen it yet but is it possible to have a different type of card with the same GB's? I'm wondering why the huge price difference. I read that there is also an Ultra II type card. Is that faster/better?

Thanks again for any help!

Good to hear - those gridlines should start to help - especially the 'thirds' gridlines (the ones that look like tic-tac-toe). They can actually help you in a few ways - one: you can use the upper third or lower third horizontal line to line up the horizons, or the left or right third vertical to line up poles, house or building edges, trees, etc. when framing the shot.

And two (you may already know this, but some others may not): the original purpose of the thirds grid is to help you with composition using the traditional 'rule of thirds'...it's generally considered photographically pleasing to not put horizons in the dead center of the frame, having a subject in the dead center of the frame, or to have a strong vertical or horizontal line dividing the composition up the middle of the frame. Using the gridlines, you can line up the horizons to the lower or upper line, giving the composition more sky or more land/water...you can make sure people are lined up on one of the left or right vertical lines so they aren't centered, etc. Usually this will help your compositions have more drama, more interest, and generally look more professional. Like any 'rule', there are always going to be times to break them - but it's best to learn the rules first so that you know WHEN to break them, and the thirds grid can serve the dual purpose of helping keep horizons straight and also improving composition.

I didn't know this, thanks so much for sharing! I'm still a rookie after all my trips.:o

I saw a 2GB SanDisc memory card pack (2 cards) at CVS Pharmacy for $23.99. I thought that might be a little high so I called Walgreens and they also have the same brand/GB/2 cards for only $7.99. I haven't seen it yet but is it possible to have a different type of card with the same GB's? I'm wondering why the huge price difference. I read that there is also an Ultra II type card. Is that faster/better?

Thanks again for any help!

All memory card manufacturers make cards with different write speeds. You may not be comparing cards w the same speed.

DON

All memory card manufacturers make cards with different write speeds. You may not be comparing cards w the same speed.

DON

It is the same exact card.

For anyone who has an older digital camera - Walgreens is having a sale - 7.99 for a 2-pack (2GB SanDisc SD memory cards), regularly priced 23.99. Sale ends 6/16 (not sure if it's all Walgreens in the US but at least in CA).

FYI for others looking for fewer GB memory cards - in addition to Amazon, K-mart, Staples, and drugstores carry the 2GB cards; have not seen any 1GB's.

:)

Archived