Will HAL soon copy Carnival with MDR cappuccino charge?

luvcruisn'

No people have always booked their own excursions. It's letting people tote cases of wine,soda and water, that's where they're losing the money.

They'll figure it out soon enough.

Yeah, that too. I forgot about that. When you have to pay for espresso, just blame it on the ridiculous people who bring a case of wine on board. :rolleyes:

Is a half a case of wine OK?

Is there a specific rule for 'ridiculous' when it comes to the number of bottles that someone brings on board and does that number vary by length of cruise?

Has anyone told HAL about this?

Is a half a case of wine OK?

Is there a specific rule for 'ridiculous' when it comes to the number of bottles that someone brings on board and does that number vary by length of cruise?

Has anyone told HAL about this?

one cruise i couldn't use my balcony the whole time because i was surrounded by wine bottles clinking together. ruined my cruise.

How about...Just the general dumbing down of the whole cruise experience that gets dumbed down daily. Gone are the days of dressing up,feeling special or pampered,friendly chats with the waitstaff,and the dining room manager checking in at your table every night.

Now it's Joey Bag O Donuts in his sweatpants,who demands entrance to the dining room,lugs his 5 cases of Orange Fanta and two buck chuck aboard and then removes the service charge at the end of the cruise.

Perhaps the ships aren't full,because it just isn't appealing or as glamorous as it used to be.

If it's the same as everyday life,why bother going?

Does HAL really think this type of passenger is going to book a world voyage with them in the future?

really? we still dress up on our cruises - get to know the wait staff and don't go in the dining room in sweats - our next cruise was booked nearly one and 1/2 years in advance - I know there will be no deals on it (and if there are i will kick myself).

I'm not a fashion police person - but I haven't seen a lot of people like you are describing and trust me, fashion police or not, they are hard to miss;)

I don't consider a cruise the same as everyday life - ever:):):) On the smaller HAL ships it's great to be at sea JMO:)

one cruise i couldn't use my balcony the whole time because i was surrounded by wine bottles clinking together. ruined my cruise.
I don't care who ya are, that's funny right there! :D

I guess I should have use the disclaimer on my wine post too. I love wine and I always bring a case with me. It ridiculous, I know, but I've made peace with that. I assume full responsibility for causing anyone to have to pay for their espresso in the future. Send me the bill, I'll pay it. LOL

Through the years, we certainly have seen many changes to our HAL cruises. I have not doubt there have been similar changes on all the 'in like category' cruise lines.

But, for us, cruises are still special. We still love the ships and sailing and it is mostly the crew that brings us back again and again.

I really think some of the changes have been very much for the better but am saddened at others.

When we feel the cutbacks get to be too much, we'll worry about it then.

It has not yet happened, for US.

Can't speak for anyone but DH and myself.

I'm sure many of us remember when they had the cappuccino/latte machines in the lido and we just helped ourselves. Last time I saw one in the Lido was in 2003 on the Amsterdam.

Diane

Wow.....

We've been sailing HAL since the very early 90's and I have no memory of a cappuccino machine in Lido. And, yes, we sailed Amsterdam in addition to most of the other HAL ships of the time.

How could I have missed those machines? :confused:

From Cruise Critic News June 4/12: "In related added-fee news' date=' Carnival has begun charging for specialty coffees -- $2 for espressos, $2.95 for lattes and cappuccinos -- during lunch and dinner in Carnival Miracle's main dining room. The line has long offered these coffee drinks at no extra cost, but plans eventually to roll out the new fees fleetwide."

My fellow passengers have often had the no fee espressos and cappuccinos at dinner in HAL's MDR. I wonder how long it will be before HAL also begins charging for these in the main dining room?[/quote']

It could happen!

If Hal were to consider charging for the fancy after-dinner coffees to increase the revenue stream ... perhaps they also should take a look at how many entrees or desserts, etc. some passengers order at a single dinner. Well, and if people are ordering multiples just to sample, that's just plain wasteful ... it isn't like any meal onboard is likely to be one's last supper. I doubt that MDR meals were ever intended to be all-you-can-eat. In that light, HAL also could consider how to reduce their food costs.

You can all blame the bargain hunters and their $399 fares in Alaska and the people who arrange their own shore excursions.* :rolleyes:

* Disclaimer: This post is meant to be sarcastic.

You left out the wine-bringers. ;)

[quote name='sail7seas'][B] Wow.....[/B]

[B]We've been sailing HAL since the very early 90's and I have no memory of a cappuccino machine in Lido. And, yes, we sailed Amsterdam in addition to most of the other HAL ships of the time.[/B]

[B]How could I have missed those machines? :confused:[/B]

[/quote]

I recall an espresso/cappuccino machine on the Veendam on my first cruise in 1997. It was located right outside the movie theater.

My latest cruise, May 2012, I was told several times that the machine in the MDR wasn't working and it could take a long time for a specialty coffee. I don't know if they were told to say this to avoid the hassle or if it was truly malfunctioning... but now reading from others on other ships of the same situation. Interesting... Oh, well, it was nice while it lasted, and I wouldn't stop cruising because they're not gratis anymore.

[quote name='andeesue']I recall an espresso/cappuccino machine on the Veendam on my first cruise in 1997. It was located right outside the movie theater.

My latest cruise, May 2012, I was told several times that the machine in the MDR wasn't working and it could take a long time for a specialty coffee. I don't know if they were told to say this to avoid the hassle or if it was truly malfunctioning... but now reading from others on other ships of the same situation. Interesting... Oh, well, it was nice while it lasted, and I wouldn't stop cruising because they're not gratis anymore.[/quote]

[B] :) What you remember is Java Cafe. Wonderful but long gone.
I clearly remember that but have no memory of espresso/cappucino in Lido.

[/B]

[/B]

No doubt that it will be charged additionally. I can't see why Carnival Corp would exempt HAL. We got use to paying extra for it on Princess. We all gave in to the cruise lines and forked over $$ for the specialty restaurants on board, why get upset over a few bucks for a specialty beverage.

Sail, There was one in the Lido on the old Westerdam back in January 2001 and also in the Lido on the Amsterdam in May 2003. They were the blue machines with the buttons for different types of drinks just like the buttons on the machines in Neptune. The only reason I can remember them is I made such a mess trying to pretend I knew what I was doing.

Since some years - within a cruise - the MDR cappuccino changed (for me) to not drinkable. Coffee changed as well. I complained, but it didn't help resp. they told me nonsense (must be from the 1st seating etc.).
If somebody wants to sell this colored water, good luck.
The Neptune Lounge coffee machine is still ok.

[quote name='Pettifogger']
I'm so old I can remember when they had pay toilets in airports. I hope those days never return.[/quote]

Much of the world, even much of the "civilized" world, still does!

[quote name='readytogo2']No doubt that it will be charged additionally. I can't see why Carnival Corp would exempt HAL.[/quote]

Carnival Corp doesn't force all its cruise lines to do the same thing: Cunard has a fuel surcharge, HAL doesn't.

[quote name='Boytjie']Carnival Corp doesn't force all its cruise lines to do the same thing: Cunard has a fuel surcharge, HAL doesn't.[/QUOTE]
I just meant that IMO, chances are HAL will charge more eventually. As for Cunard....I would think that the majority of passengers that can afford to sail Cunard wouldn't get scared off because of the fuel surcharge, besides, with the price of fuel, even in the US, I am surprised we are not being charged a surcharge.

I do not really care if they charge. As long as we can each get our 2 caps with a double shot every morning in the MDR-and the quality is the same as usual-then we will be happy.

We do not have an issue with user pay. Why should others have to share in the cost of our indulgence?

Archived