Will HAL soon copy Carnival with MDR cappuccino charge?

luvcruisn'

From Cruise Critic News June 4/12: "In related added-fee news, Carnival has begun charging for specialty coffees -- $2 for espressos, $2.95 for lattes and cappuccinos -- during lunch and dinner in Carnival Miracle's main dining room. The line has long offered these coffee drinks at no extra cost, but plans eventually to roll out the new fees fleetwide."

My fellow passengers have often had the no fee espressos and cappuccinos at dinner in HAL's MDR. I wonder how long it will be before HAL also begins charging for these in the main dining room?

Interesing question. Last week on the Veedam, I was told the cappucino machine was not working in the MDR - for six nights. As an alternative, I found the Holland America tea very nice. But at a base cost of over $600 per day per couple, a cup of cappucino didn't strike me as an unreasonable request. I certainly wouldn't pay an additional charge...too many additional charges already! -

Salacia

Interesing question. Last week on the Veedam, I was told the cappucino machine was not working in the MDR - for six nights. As an alternative, I found the Holland America tea very nice. But at a base cost of over $600 per day per couple, a cup of cappucino didn't strike me as an unreasonable request. I certainly wouldn't pay an additional charge...too many additional charges already! -

Salacia

Sounds familiar. While on our 14 day Panama cruise about the Statendam in Feb. we were told the same thing after the first night. My husband could not get as espresso nor could I get a cappucino. Several nights the waiter went to another location and brought back some cups of cappucino. I have always enjoyed this as my dessert.

There's no telling what will happen. But I certainly hope that they don't:eek:

The coffees in the MDR are one of the things that make HAL special IMO:)

I think they will, I just had the renewal of vows on the Zuiderdam, I was charged 6.50$ each to bring a few friends along, was told it was to cover the sparkling wine, this is on top of 120$ to begin with. While at HMC the bar person told me drinks cost more than on the ship because it costs HAL money to bring them to HMC. Looks like nickle and dime is on the rise.

If HAL does start to charge for it, after a while it will just seem "normal" to most people and those who want it will pay.

Ten years ago who ever thought the airlines would be charging for soda, blankets and pillows, not to mention meals and snacks. Now it's just the way it is. Heck, I remember a time when the butcher would give marrow bones to us for the dog for free. Now thay are a sold item!

I too believe that they'll start charging folks for them, if there is a large # of consumers who will pay an upcharge that upcharge will be applied. They start with one line and then slowly move to the others.

CCL raised their steak prices by $5 pp too.

As for the coffee types, all that tastes like seepage from a Calcutta catfood factory's cesspool, why do folks drink it? :eek::confused:

Derek

When they sell too many cabins for too little money, they have to diminish the product. It's simple arithmetic.

If people don't want to pay, they have to expect to get less.

However, the problem becomes IMO when there are those on the ship who are paying a considerable per diem.

Will they think the product a good value for their money?

We are only guessing if HAL will start to charge for cappucino/espresso. Unless someone has inside info, we simply do not know.

As to the espresso machine being broken, it happens and no reason IMO to not think the examples cited aren't true. Through the years, we have seen the coffee machine in Neptune Lounge broken any number of times. We also have seen workers actively fixing it. Sometimes it has been out for days which makes one think they had to wait to receive a part that might have been sent to an upcoming port.

Sometimes they actually are telling us the truth. ;) :cool:

Paying for a cap is not an issue for us.

I do not think that you can blame the so called bargain hunters. THe basic issue remains with the cruise line, any of them, because:

-they have unsold cabins because people believe that the original price exceeds their perception of reasonable value, ie the pick another ship.

-the cruise line has overestimated demand and put too many berths/ships on a particular run OR has overbuilt their fleet

-the cruise lines sales and marketing folk have done a poor job of selling and pushing the TA's

-bad reputation-specific ship or specific cruise line

-poor economy and demand is down in the entire hospitality industry.

SO, they have to reduce prices to get 'bums in the seats'

How is this the fault of a cruiser who takes advantage of a great offer on a reduced fare. Should this person lower his/her expectations because they paid less than someone who booked outside the cancel window?

Does this mean that when you buy a shirt on sale at your local department store that you should not complain if the shirt is defective or if the service at the store is substandard or the clerks rude?

We typically do not select cruise line excursions. Money is not the issue. We prefer not to be on a bus when we have to wait for everyone to get on, get off, and wait in case someone is late-as is often the case. We arrange private tours because we get to see what we want to see, at a pace that we set. We invariably do it much faster than we would with a cruise tour and this enables us to see much more-not to mention the personal attention that we enjoy from being in a very small group.

I don't have a problem with them charging for those types of coffee. I have yet to capitalize on any of the "cheap fares" listed here. I'm paying around $3300 for my next caribbean cruise and I think that's plenty.

You can all blame the bargain hunters and their $399 fares in Alaska and the people who arrange their own shore excursions.* :rolleyes:

* Disclaimer: This post is meant to be sarcastic.

No people have always booked their own excursions. It's letting people tote cases of wine,soda and water, that's where they're losing the money.

They'll figure it out soon enough.

I do not think that you can blame the so called bargain hunters. THe basic issue remains with the cruise line, any of them, because:

How is this the fault of a cruiser who takes advantage of a great offer on a reduced fare. Should this person lower his/her expectations because they paid less than someone who booked outside the cancel window?

We typically do not select cruise line excursions. Money is not the issue. We prefer not to be on a bus when we have to wait for everyone to get on, get off, and wait in case someone is late-as is often the case. We arrange private tours because we get to see what we want to see, at a pace that we set. We invariably do it much faster than we would with a cruise tour and this enables us to see much more-not to mention the personal attention that we enjoy from being in a very small group.

No one really cares why you don't book ship's shorex, but no matter why, the profit lost has to be made up somewhere. Some call it "nickle & dime" some call it "user pricing" (i.e., only those who use a service should pay for it). Either way, the line has to remain profitible or else none of us will be able to board a Dam ship.

-they have unsold cabins because people believe that the original price exceeds their perception of reasonable value, ie the pick another ship.

-the cruise line has overestimated demand and put too many berths/ships on a particular run OR has overbuilt their fleet

-the cruise lines sales and marketing folk have done a poor job of selling and pushing the TA's

-bad reputation-specific ship or specific cruise line

-poor economy and demand is down in the entire hospitality industry.

SO, they have to reduce prices to get 'bums in the seats'

Does this mean that when you buy a shirt on sale at your local department store that you should not complain if the shirt is defective or if the service at the store is substandard or the clerks rude?

How about...Just the general dumbing down of the whole cruise experience that gets dumbed down daily. Gone are the days of dressing up,feeling special or pampered,friendly chats with the waitstaff,and the dining room manager checking in at your table every night.

Now it's Joey Bag O Donuts in his sweatpants,who demands entrance to the dining room,lugs his 5 cases of Orange Fanta and two buck chuck aboard and then removes the service charge at the end of the cruise.

Perhaps the ships aren't full,because it just isn't appealing or as glamorous as it used to be.

If it's the same as everyday life,why bother going?

Does HAL really think this type of passenger is going to book a world voyage with them in the future?

I do not have any sympathy for the cruise lines, HAL or any other. They develop their own business plans. I have no idea where the 'sweet spot' is from a profit perspective on their itineraries or ships.

They blow out cabins at low prices when supply exceeds demand and they sell those cabins for more than usual when demand exceeds supply-like at Christmas/New Years.

HAL apparently just upped the price of their HMC cabanas by a significant percentage because demand was high. And, it seems to me that they have always charged more than Carnival for the same cabana because their cruisers will pay it. If demand drops off, no doubt they will either reduce the price OR announce on board specials to sell any unsold units. HAL has the right to price in any way they wish and then let the market find it's own price.

It is just business.

None of HAL's recent economies has affected me enough to detract significantly from my joy at the accompanying greatly increased value of HAL cruises, but charging for cappuccino in the MDR would.

The MDR cappuccino is machine-made, so it's not like specialty coffee items in the Explorations Cafe. For some of us, it fulfills the same need as ordinary coffee for other people. (I make cafe au lait at home.)

If HAL raised the price of my wine at dinner enough to realize the same revenue, I'd take it in stride because I'd feel I had the theoretical option to abstain, although it's not a real option in my case, but charging for what some of us consider a necessity is different. It would be similar to charging for bottled water and refusing to serve or allow passengers to bring tap water into the MDR. (I had no objection when they started charging for cappuccino in the Java Cafe on my beloved Prinsendam; cappuccino between meals is an indulgence.)

I'm so old I can remember when they had pay toilets in airports. I hope those days never return.

Archived