Noordam Review 5/2-5/28

brainyblonde

As seasoned (125 plus days) on HAL, the 26 TA from Fort Lauderdale met all our expectations. One person, Captain John Scott exceeded them!

On May 14, I was wondering in the hall outside my stateroom with an ice bucket. Capt. Scott came by (his stateroom was about four doors down from ours). I never said a word to this very busy man, However, He saw me, insisted on taking the ice bucket, got the ice himself and returned it to our stateroom. DH jokingly said, " Come in for a drink."

Such humanity in a man who sees throngs of guests come and go and has command of a floating city. Thank you, Captain Scott.

As usual, the Cruise Critic Meet and Greets were great. DH and I tend to be loners, of which many of us are. This group was just the right combination of knowledgable cruisers who were helpful with each other, but non-intrusive.

NOORDAM SHIP FACILITIES: Our third Noordam cruise, we like the library on the third floor, no ugly cabanas in the pool area, great workout space and machines.

ENTERTAINMENT: The shows were a little lacking, except for the "ship's kids", the singers and dancers. We love their shows and what they do for the life of the ship. One performer stood out, the classical Spanish Guitarist, Dimitris Something. He was special! Bridge lessons on the TA were good.

FOOD: DH and I are not foodies,nor eat large portions. We found the MDR dinners and lunches more than good. The Pinnacle Grill was top notch. HIghlights in the MDR were the ice cream bomb, water melon pie, rack of lamb, escargot, phyllo purse, many of the appetizers. (Small and elegant.) MDR breakfasts were a little boring with the same menu (years past there daily specials which were frequently interesting). We avoided the Lido unless absolutely necessary. The MDR's free specialty coffees "out trumped" the fresh OJ in the Lido.

PORTS: The reason we cruise. Even in repeat ports we found new things to do.

VALUE: Many take the TA because of the value, so we understood what HAL tried to give the passengers. Second leg, Eastern Med, we sensed a livelier ship, a better entertainment, more sailaway parties, special poolside barbeques. HAL tried to theme the poolisde parties to the ports, with local olives, cheeses, etc.

To Marty, LOVE HAL, thanks for organizing the Roll Call.

To Capt. Scott, you revealed your true character as a sterling person.

Brainyblonde

Archived