Are you missing the horns

If your like me and your missing the ships Horns of Port Everglades then your going to enjoy this. The Westerdam has gone viral on You Tube and she sounds wonderful. I love the title........and the story that goes along with it.

'Holland America Line's WESTERDAM was the undisputed 2012 horn blowing champion on the Port Everglades Webcam in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Watch and listen to WESTERDAM sail past the webcam on 4/25/2012. Captain Keijer was even presented an award by Cruise Critic Members for his outstanding performance!'

While I am missing hearing them "LIVE" I am not missing hearing them whenever I want to. I have them on my computer and play them whenever I start to feel depressed. Really livens the day:D:D

I also have the ones that were sent me by fellow Cruisers who recorded the Horns Live and sent them to me to share with everyone. Those donated Horns can be downloaded from the HAL Staterooms/Cabins Web Site. But the ones I recorded and listen to from PTZtv (Port Everglades) are not allowed to be shared via my web site because of Copyright Laws (which is 100% understandable:) )

Joanie

If your like me and your missing the ships Horns of Port Everglades then your going to enjoy this. The Westerdam has gone viral on You Tube and she sounds wonderful. I love the title........and the story that goes along with it.

'Holland America Line's WESTERDAM was the undisputed 2012 horn blowing champion on the Port Everglades Webcam in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Watch and listen to WESTERDAM sail past the webcam on 4/25/2012. Captain Keijer was even presented an award by Cruise Critic Members for his outstanding performance!'

That was awsome and brought back many memories. It is too bad that HAL does not keep a ship in the Caribbean during the summer.

Chief, what a wonderful idea...to have a Sailaway Mania Summer Reunion!!

Pathfinder, yes, I totally miss those wonderful horns. I have been watching and listening to the Westerdam on the Port Everglades website. It is a good way to feed the addiction, but live horns do a much better job.

I am eagerly waiting the return of those Dam ships to the Port.

Nice one.

I was on the W'dam in Jan. 2011, and Captain Keijer kept up a lively 'conversation' with the folks in the condos as we went by. Good to see him being recognized for his efforts! :)

As an aside, I happened to tune in to the PEWC last Sunday night just as the Allure was leaving. Three desultory, flatulent blasts was all they got. October seems so far away...

Aside #2 - I watched the QM2 depart PE on the cam one time, and she definitely put on a good show.

Please forgive my ignorance, I have not yet sailed, but what is the point of blowing ship’s horns? I know that it is to warn other ships during a poor weather, but it seems to be more. Does it blow in a certain way a certain time before sailing to warn passengers to get on board, like a bell in a class room? Does it blow at certain times, like a cuckoo clock? Does it blow “just for fun” like some car horns of immature teenagers?

Please forgive my ignorance, I have not yet sailed, but what is the point of blowing ship’s horns? I know that it is to warn other ships during a poor weather, but it seems to be more. Does it blow in a certain way a certain time before sailing to warn passengers to get on board, like a bell in a class room? Does it blow at certain times, like a cuckoo clock? Does it blow “just for fun” like some car horns of immature teenagers?

Ships blow their horns for lots of reason but most the time it is not for fun. It can be for a muster drill for passengers and crew. It can be a fire drill. Ofcourse they use them when it is really foggy. Sailing out of a port is kind of a way of thanking the port for their hospitality, but it can turn into fun sometimes like the webcam on You Tube of the Westerdam did.

Here's a video of Ryndam and Rotterdam departing from Rotterdam on June 26, 2011.Lots of horn blowing and more.

9k=

► 16:16► 16:16

This is a really nice one - thank you:):) Love the send off from their 'home' town:):) and the horns - they are a plenty:D

Archived