when to request table size - TD

SoBaycruiser

When does one request a table size for TD? Through your TA or after you get aboard the ship? Normally we request AD. However, we will be cruising on the Ocean for a month which offers only TD. We DON'T want a table for 4... 2,6, or 8 is okay. We assume that frequently we will be going to the buffet/bistro and don't want to feel guilty about leaving a couple by themselves. Also, my husband is hard of hearing (wears hearing aids) and if we get put with a highly accented or soft spoken couple, he can't understand anything and won't enjoy the meal. With a larger table, he can hopefully find someone with whom he can carry on a coversation.

We always request our table size through our travel agent when we make the original reservation. If your table is not to your liking when you board, you can try to switch to a more appropriate size by talking to the maitre d.

This is just MY opinion, but if you booked it through a TA, or even the cruise line, once I book it, I tell them everything I want at that time.

I also tell them that I want twins beds, late/early seating in dining room, and anything else at that time. Generally a couple weeks before you cruise, you can go into the portal and check this information out to make sure it is correct. I learned this the hard way, but thank God, it was a week or two before we cruised when I found they didn't not have twin beds to be set up in our room. I was able to contact my TA, and she got it changed. I then went back in the portal and checked it out, and it was changed.

This is just MY opinion, but if you booked it through a TA, or even the cruise line, once I book it, I tell them everything I want at that time.

I also tell them that I want twins beds, late/early seating in dining room, and anything else at that time. Generally a couple weeks before you cruise, you can go into the portal and check this information out to make sure it is correct. I learned this the hard way, but thank God, it was a week or two before we cruised when I found they didn't not have twin beds to be set up in our room. I was able to contact my TA, and she got it changed. I then went back in the portal and checked it out, and it was changed.

I knew to mak all the other requests when we booked. I just didn't know about table size. I'll have to give TA a call.

I learned this the hard way, but thank God, it was a week or two before we cruised when I found they didn't not have twin beds to be set up in our room. I was able to contact my TA, and she got it changed. I then went back in the portal and checked it out, and it was changed.

Not that big a deal, really, as the steward can change the configuration once you're onboard. Presumably because we're a male couple, we've found twins when we requested the queen. It was corrected by that night.

By the bye, I'm not sure a larger table is a panacea for the hard-of-hearing. Eight-tops in particular have people pretty far away from one another conducting cross-conversations. If I were the OP, I'd request a six.

We assume that frequently we will be going to the buffet/bistro and don't want to feel guilty about leaving a couple by themselves.

Be sure to let your table mates know that if you are not there within x minutes of the start of dinner they should go ahead without you.

Our TA always requests a table for eight for us in second seating traditional dining. But occasionally things don't work out between him and the ship and we end up with something else. Once we were confirmed for second seating traditional but ended up being assigned to anytime dining. I waited in line that afternoon to see the maitre d' to make the switch to traditional. Another time we ended up being assigned to a table for two. I'm sure a lot of people coveted that table because it was in a great location--not one of the tables for two that make you feel like you're right on top of other couples beside you. I was able to see the maitre d' and switch us to our preferred table for eight after dinner the first night.

We have always had AT in the past but found this year there was a lack of tables for two. Due to a number of reasons that I won't debate here we prefer to have our evening meal on a table by ourselves. So, does the Traditional Dining room have tables for two?? Are they easy to book? Thanks.

We have always had AT in the past but found this year there was a lack of tables for two. Due to a number of reasons that I won't debate here we prefer to have our evening meal on a table by ourselves. So, does the Traditional Dining room have tables for two?? Are they easy to book? Thanks.

We had no problems on the Island Princess getting a table for 2 on Anytime Dining. You can call the Dine Line and make a reservation each day.

For our next trip on the Emerald we have the 6:00 pm traditional seating with a request for a table for 2.

Archived