Will PRINCESS change their loyalty program?

KruzPrincess

Have we considered that Princess just needs to build it's loyal passengers from a younger demographic? shorter cruises would definitely attract them. They have the stats, they know exactly how many potential years of cruising their Elite Passengers have left.

Depressing thought but one well taken. Hopefully my children can pick up where I leave off. Though I hope I have many cruising years left. I haven't even used my Platinum perks yet .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, now that you've made me think about it... We've gotten dirty looks on our cruises because we are in the nice disembarkation lounge (we are Platinum - 84 days on Princess). It doesn't help that I still get carded for drinks and look young. We are in our 30's, love to cruise, and sometimes feel like other people look down on us like we shouldn't be there. ..........................................

When we first started cruisisng back in 1997, we did 2 cruises a year and one old wag actually asked us how we could afford to cruise that often. Without batting an eye, I told her we were drug dealers and that shut her up real fast.:eek:

When we first started cruisisng back in 1997, we did 2 cruises a year and one old wag actually asked us how we could afford to cruise that often. Without batting an eye, I told her we were drug dealers and that shut her up real fast.:eek:

I love the people who forever ask how we can afford to cruise so much when they eat a meal a week at home.

:D That's a good one! I'll have to remember that! On our last cruise we were asked how we could afford to cruise. My answer wasn't as good as yours though.

:D That's a good one! I'll have to remember that! On our last cruise we were asked how we could afford to cruise. My answer wasn't as good as yours though.

Tell that to the wrong person & you might have a little explaining to do to the customs agents after they rip your luggage apart in the terminal. LOL :D

Have we considered that Princess just needs to build it's loyal passengers from a younger demographic? shorter cruises would definitely attract them. They have the stats, they know exactly how many potential years of cruising their Elite Passengers have left.

As I said on an earlier post, attention should be paid to Gold and Platinum passengers rather than Elite Passengers. Placing the basis for perks on age would put Princess on a slippery slope. I doubt that they would want to base any part of their loyalty program directly on age factors. I do think that retaining newer passengers is better in the long-term for Princess than adding perks to Elite passengers who have already shown that they are loyal to Princess.

I love the people who forever ask how we can afford to cruise so much when they eat a meal a week at home.

A friend's husband is always asking his wife how we can afford to cruise. This coming from someone who eats at Ruth's Chris once a week and takes 10 family members to Disneyland and stays in the Grand Californian!!!!! Also bought 8 iPads for Christmas gifts.

Love the "drug dealer" comeback. I am going to use that next time!

Cheers, Denise

Tell that to the wrong person & you might have a little explaining to do to the customs agents after they rip your luggage apart in the terminal. LOL :D

We were already through Customs and on the Shuttle back to Tampa. :)

Glad to see someone else with my sense of humor. I have been using that line forever whenever someone would ask, " how can you afford to - cruise so often, buy a vacation home, take so many vacations, etc. we spend money on what's important to life's memories.

It is a matter of priorities.

I realized the effect of frequently eating out on my vacation budget when I was much younger. The cost of eating out does add up very quickly. I chose less eating out so I could travel.

It is a matter of priorities.

I realized the effect of frequently eating out on my vacation budget when I was much younger. The cost of eating out does add up very quickly. I chose less eating out so I could travel.

I agree. At home, one night we have spaghetti... the next night we have spaghetti and sauce. ;)

Our response is simple. "No Kids."

1000 times this (plus driving a 22 year old Camry). We're at an age when we'd be having kids in college and marriages and young grandchildren. Life can be very different when you are child-free. It's quite irritating when people publicly envy someone's ability to travel without wanting to change any other part of their lives. Take one part, take it all.

Glad to see someone else with my sense of humor. I have been using that line forever whenever someone would ask, " how can you afford to - cruise so often, buy a vacation home, take so many vacations, etc. we spend money on what's important to life's memories.

You are so right about what's important to your memories. It became very apparent as my kids became adults. At family get togethers they don't talk of having a nice house, horses, a pool etc-they talk about the vacations we had as a family. :)

As I said on an earlier post, attention should be paid to Gold and Platinum passengers rather than Elite Passengers. Placing the basis for perks on age would put Princess on a slippery slope. I doubt that they would want to base any part of their loyalty program directly on age factors. I do think that retaining newer passengers is better in the long-term for Princess than adding perks to Elite passengers who have already shown that they are loyal to Princess.

I don't think they should base anything on age. But if Princess are seeing stats that show 25% of their elites are 75+ they may want to take steps to start increasing the amounts of elites and platinums they have in a younger demographic to keep the level of loyalty

Love it! I went to a seminar once for the travel industry and they were highlighting the importance of the "hard core, dedicated cruisers." We were told that some of these people cruised as much as "once every two years!" :eek:

Yes, when an enthusiastic passenger once told me his secret to staying slim on the cruise was to take the stairs everywhere, I confided sarcastically my secret was amphetamines. It turned awkward when he revealed himself as an RCMP officer, but seeings as my pills are actually prescribed (I have ADHD) nothing other than a little embarrassment came from it. :o

Sorry the perks don't make you happy. At the Platinum level, the only real financial benefit is the internet credit which you don't use. Not sure what benefits you mean have gone away. Yes, Princess changed from unlimited internet to a limited amount, but it is well over 10 minutes for even the shortest cruise.

I didn't say that the perks don't make me happy. Don't know how you extrapolated that from my comments. My point is I don't cruise to be part of the perks program. The point that I was trying to make, and I didn't do it eloquently enough or succinctly enough, is that it is immaterial to me what the perks are. I merely threw in the comment about Princess boring me. That doesn't mean that the perks don't make me happy. I was trying to convey the positive aspects by saying that I do get free Internet minutes. I choose not to use them, however, as I'd rather concentrate on cruising as opposed to being on the computer while at sea.

The perk that I do truly appreciate is the priority boarding.

When I refer to things being taken away, I'm not referring to the "perks." I'm referring to Princess's cruise experience, in general. Sorry if some take offense with the truth, but Princess isn't as good as it used to be when we first started sailing. Therefore, we've decided to try out other cruise lines. We are not abandoning Princess, merely expanding our horizons.

A friend's husband is always asking his wife how we can afford to cruise. This coming from someone who eats at Ruth's Chris once a week and takes 10 family members to Disneyland and stays in the Grand Californian!!!!! Also bought 8 iPads for Christmas gifts.

Love the "drug dealer" comeback. I am going to use that next time!

Cheers, Denise

I get really annoyed when people ask us this question, because we don't buy a lot of "things." I still don't have an iPad, Kindle, I drive an old car, et cet, while those who have been wasteful, declared bankruptcy due to their own negligence, have the audacity to ask me how I afford to cruise. I will now use the drug dealer reply -- that has solved the problem for me:D

Thank you Ms. Ethyl!

I didn't say that the perks don't make me happy. Don't know how you extrapolated that from my comments. My point is I don't cruise to be part of the perks program. The point that I was trying to make, and I didn't do it eloquently enough or succinctly enough, is that it is immaterial to me what the perks are. I merely threw in the comment about Princess boring me. That doesn't mean that the perks don't make me happy. I was trying to convey the positive aspects by saying that I do get free Internet minutes. I choose not to use them, however, as I'd rather concentrate on cruising as opposed to being on the computer while at sea.

The perk that I do truly appreciate is the priority boarding.

When I refer to things being taken away, I'm not referring to the "perks." I'm referring to Princess's cruise experience, in general. Sorry if some take offense with the truth, but Princess isn't as good as it used to be when we first started sailing. Therefore, we've decided to try out other cruise lines. We are not abandoning Princess, merely expanding our horizons.

Sorry if I misunderstood your comments.

We've done the one night cruises - usually with a group of friends. Princess has definitely caught on that these can be money makers. A few years ago you could pick them up for as little as $29 per night + port fees. Now the cheapest are in the $79 range + port fees. While the perks are nice, we don't do these to gain cruise credits. IMO unless we have a group that is interested in going, they are not worthwhile. You are usually only on the ship for about 16 hours and there is the hassle of embarking and disembarking in short order. You really don't have time to enjoy the ship and in addition to the cruise, you have the expense and time of getting home. We have started taking advantage of the repositioning cruises (3-5 nights) down the west coast since we have friends and family in CA. For us, they are a great way to spend part of our vacation on a cruise and the rest fulfilling our friend and family visitation obligations. But we'd do these cruises even if we did not get credit. We are members of NCL's program as well. They give credit per night, for booking early and for choosing a suite. They have improved their perks for the top tier and I have to say, we are happy about the changes to that program. Perhaps Princess could look at something like that.

We've done the one night cruises - usually with a group of friends. Princess has definitely caught on that these can be money makers. A few years ago you could pick them up for as little as $29 per night + port fees. Now the cheapest are in the $79 range + port fees. While the perks are nice, we don't do these to gain cruise credits. IMO unless we have a group that is interested in going, they are not worthwhile.
Too true, they are a hassle, but they're also great for introducing a friend to cruising or, my favorite, getting a look at a different class of ship. It's nice to check out the amenities first hand - that's how I got my first look at the small ships of princess, taking the Pacific Princess between Seattle and Vancouver. I liked it so much, I booked a TA repositioning on her.

Archived