sunset in oia or fira?

champmason

Our ship will be in Santorini on Nov 7th from 2:00 pm until 10:00 pm with a sunset at 5:20 pm. Should we plan on being in Oia or Fira to see the sunset? I hear absolutely wonderful comments about the sunset in Oia but have not read any comments about watching the sun go down in Fira. Thanks

We had the same time frame...... you must be on a Celebrity ship.

We took the donkeys up and went straight to Oia first - once we finally got off the ship (tendering is a hassle here and another whole thread :eek:). Spent a few hours there and then back to Fira for dinner and sunset.

We found that the sunsets were pretty spectacular in Fira. I really think that if you are "up" on Santorini they are pretty nice just about anywhere near the caldera.

We choose this plan as we did not want to be coming back from Oia in the dark and also so we would be close to the cable car line in case it was longer than we anticipated.

Hope this helps.

Our ship will be in Santorini on Nov 7th from 2:00 pm until 10:00 pm with a sunset at 5:20 pm. Should we plan on being in Oia or Fira to see the sunset? I hear absolutely wonderful comments about the sunset in Oia but have not read any comments about watching the sun go down in Fira. Thanks

We are on the same cruise! If you haven't already join our roll call!

The big question isn't 'where are the sunsets best from?', it's 'how are you going to get back from Oia to Fira after watching the sunset?' - bear in mind that there might be many other people with the same idea.

Perhaps other posters who've stayed for the sunset at Oia can comment?

• 2 weeks later...
We had the same time frame...... you must be on a Celebrity ship.

We took the donkeys up and went straight to Oia first - once we finally got off the ship (tendering is a hassle here and another whole thread :eek:). Spent a few hours there and then back to Fira for dinner and sunset.

We found that the sunsets were pretty spectacular in Fira. I really think that if you are "up" on Santorini they are pretty nice just about anywhere near the caldera.

We choose this plan as we did not want to be coming back from Oia in the dark and also so we would be close to the cable car line in case it was longer than we anticipated.

Hope this helps.

I really didn't want to be with the gang in Oia for the sunset. Where in Fira did you stand? I also wonder about just being on the ship? It's a great big beautiful sun and sky, couldn't it e seen from all over?

I really didn't want to be with the gang in Oia for the sunset. Where in Fira did you stand? I also wonder about just being on the ship? It's a great big beautiful sun and sky, couldn't it e seen from all over?

Didn't really "stand" anywhere. We found a wonderful little outdoor restaurant and ate and watched the sunset. Don't remember the name, they are all over the place. It was very near the cable car. As for seeing the sunset from the ship..... I would imagine it would be nice but no where near the experience it is from the top of the cliffs - you are really way up and can see forever into the caldera and beyond.........

Didn't really "stand" anywhere. We found a wonderful little outdoor restaurant and ate and watched the sunset. Don't remember the name, they are all over the place. It was very near the cable car. As for seeing the sunset from the ship..... I would imagine it would be nice but no where near the experience it is from the top of the cliffs - you are really way up and can see forever into the caldera and beyond.........

Thanks for the advice. How wonderful to eat and enjoy the sunset at the same time. Sounds great.

We were worried about staying so late in Oia, this May, (10:00 departure), and the driver of our mini-bus didn't recommend it, but he stopped about half-way between for the sunset.

It was gorgeous, with blue-roofed churches in the foreground and islands in the background. I'd post pics if I knew how! (Never works for me)

We made it back to Fira just in time for lovely early evening views and an uncrowded ride down the cable car--got to the ship about 9.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived