Fort Lauderdale Hotel recommendations

Cher7

We've stayed at the Embassy Suites. Manager's reception in the evening, full breakfast in the morning. Room to lock your luggage in if you get there before you have room access.

We have a reservation there next April. It is the Princess package and includes transfers from airport to hotel and hotel to ship. Very convenient to Total Wine.

Did you do the package and if so, did they pick your luggage up at 8 the next morning and have check-in at the lobby? I have read on CC where in some cities they have that service. Didn't know if it was in FLL.

We have stayed a number of times at the Renaissance which we quite like, the Sheraton on the beach which was great and last winter it was the Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa .... which was outstanding. For January '13 we have just picked up the Hyatt Place, Convention Center 17th Ave, for $110 on bidding on Priceline .... it boasts only a 3* location but have always like its convenient location, shuttle from the airport and breakfast plus this year we are only spending one night in FLL.

We are Marriott loyalists, so we usually stay at the REnaissance on 17th, though I sometimes feel like it's a little overpriced during the season. It's a nice hotel for a pre-cruise stay, though, and it's as convenient as it gets.

We've also stayed at the Marriott Harbor Beach Resort, and we love it. But, for us, it's only worth the splurge when we can stay more than one night and get some enjoyment out of the beach and the hotel. It's not nearly as convenient as the 17th street hotels, but there's something about this hotel that I really love. Retro architecture, but totally updated. Good vibe, but unpretentious.

We have stayed at the Embassy on 17th St for years, it has breakfast and shuttle services.

I do feel it is a bit overpriced and increasingly becoming a "zoo" like atmosphere with travellers running around like crazy. This has become even more apparent since RCCL seems to use it for its very large ships.

We are Hilton Honors members, so that is why we have used the Embassy. May check out the Hyatt Place in the future for some point of comparison. We like the area with the shopping, i.e., wine ship and local grocery.

We always taken a taxi to the pier. Found that very difficult with the zoo like atmosphere on our last visit to the Embassy. We should have arranged for a taxi the night before, if we stay there again will do so.

We also found they automatically charged us for self parking, which we had removed, since we did not even have a car. So watch out folks, check your bill at the Embassy before you check out.

We have taken 13 cruises out of Ft.Lauderdale, and after staying in an number of motels, finally found the LaQuinta in Hollywood. Close to the interstate, reasonably priced, free parking (we have used it for a 21 day cruise) with a free full breakfast, and free transportation to our ship. We find it a great value

We've used the La Quinta on 26th for years. DH lived in LQs while he was in the military, and we're still using up free award nights. It's fine for a pre-cruise night and has a nice pool area and breakfast. While there are some decent chain restaurants nearby, we've found the area a little dicey for walking to dinner after dark. It's fine the next morning for walking to KMart for last minute toiletries. We're booked there in November, because we won't be arriving until midnight and it's perfect for that. With more time though, and certainly for more than one night, I'd recommend the 17th St. area. We've stayed at the Hyatt Place North and South in the past year, and while the South is newer and nicer, it's hard to beat the location of the HPN, especially when you can get it on Hotwire. We were told that, for those guests who purchase their stays through a 3rd party (Hotwire, Priceline), the shuttle to the port is now $8pp. For that price you can easily take a cab.

We have a reservation there next April. It is the Princess package and includes transfers from airport to hotel and hotel to ship. Very convenient to Total Wine.

Did you do the package and if so, did they pick your luggage up at 8 the next morning and have check-in at the lobby? I have read on CC where in some cities they have that service. Didn't know if it was in FLL.

When in April? We're on the Emerald on the 6th--or will be once I can formally request the time off in October. We have a cabin, but are going to finish paying for the cruise after I *know* for sure that I can go. Stupid work rules. :rolleyes:

I don't think we'll do the package. We'll book the room and get a taxi/shuttle to the ship. Depending on what time we get in (flights in same boat--not booking until I have vacation approved) we'll have them lock our luggage in the room and hang by the pool.

We did the Embassy suites. On the day the Allure was in it was a zoo, but the day we checked out was great. No package, booked it ourself and had the concierge arrange a ride to the pier in an explorer $14 plus tip for the two of us. Plenty of eating within walking distance plus a supermarket for last minute supplies. You can even walk to the port on embarkation day (if you don't mind dragging lugggage a LOOONG way :)

We've used the La Quinta on 26th for years.

I stay in a LQ when I'm on call. I live out of call range, so I have to stay close to work. I call it my "home away from home" and have been there enough that they know me.

I googled LQ in FLL and about 4 came up. I can get a great Government rate for my precruise night but which one would be best to stay in with stores and restaurants within walking distance? I am 7 people (3 adults, 4 older teens). Just need something clean, with a pool and some place to eat and shop close by.

I'm flying into FLL and was going to stay in Coconut Grove Miami precruise (going out of POM) but for these rates, I'd be tempted to stay in FLL and just have QLS transport us the morning of the cruise.

I googled LQ in FLL and about 4 came up. I can get a great Government rate for my precruise night but which one would be best to stay in with stores and restaurants within walking distance? I am 7 people (3 adults, 4 older teens). Just need something clean, with a pool and some place to eat and shop close by.

I'm flying into FLL and was going to stay in Coconut Grove Miami precruise (going out of POM) but for these rates, I'd be tempted to stay in FLL and just have QLS transport us the morning of the cruise.

The closest one to the airport is the LQ Hollywood on Sheridan St. It is just on the outskirts of Oakwood Plaza that has chain restaurants and discount stores. It's a very big plaza so expect to walk a bit.

When in April? We're on the Emerald on the 6th--or will be once I can formally request the time off in October. We have a cabin, but are going to finish paying for the cruise after I *know* for sure that I can go. Stupid work rules. :rolleyes:

I don't think we'll do the package. We'll book the room and get a taxi/shuttle to the ship. Depending on what time we get in (flights in same boat--not booking until I have vacation approved) we'll have them lock our luggage in the room and hang by the pool.

We are doing the TA on April 26th. Flying in on the 25th. Have a great cruise and take good care of her for us;)

We are doing the TA on April 26th. Flying in on the 25th. Have a great cruise and take good care of her for us;)

I'll do my best. We are celebrating my 50th :eek: birthday. I promise not to cause too many problems!

The closest one to the airport is the LQ Hollywood on Sheridan St. It is just on the outskirts of Oakwood Plaza that has chain restaurants and discount stores. It's a very big plaza so expect to walk a bit.

Royalcruz, I see one on North 26th Ave, Hollywood thats adjacent to the Oakwood Plaza it says. Is that the same one :confused: Royal, would you recommend it for our stay? Your so good with your recommendations, I trust you :D

The Oakwood Plaza has lots of stores so I could waste some time there while the kids hang by the pool and some choices for dinner. It actually looks like a nice hotel. I see water and the pool looks big.

hmmm. For the rate I can get, its very tempting

Royalcruz, I see one on North 26th Ave, Hollywood thats adjacent to the Oakwood Plaza it says. Is that the same one :confused: Royal, would you recommend it for our stay? Your so good with your recommendations, I trust you :D

The Oakwood Plaza has lots of stores so I could waste some time there while the kids hang by the pool and some choices for dinner. It actually looks like a nice hotel. I see water and the pool looks big.

hmmm. For the rate I can get, its very tempting

Yes, that is the one. :) I haven't been in there but the location is good and the recent reviews have been very good.

We have stayed at the Hyatt Place North, by the Harbor shops, the last 2 cruises. We fly in 2 days early and stay for 2 nights. Last year they were under new management and remodeling. We have been very pleased staying there and are planning on returning for our next cruise. I would highly reccomend them. As we are a party of 4 we opted for a cab to the port. Total Wine and numerous eating establishments are within a 1 block walk.

Yes, that is the one. :) I haven't been in there but the location is good and the recent reviews have been very good.

Thank you as always royalcruz for the great info. I'm an 95% sure I'm going to switch to LQ. I just need to check with the others coming with us and QLS to make sure I can change the shuttle to pick us up the next morning and bring us to the Port. Someone posted that the hotel arranged for a shuttle to POM for them so I will probably call them to to find out.

We've stayed at the Embassy Suites. Manager's reception in the evening, full breakfast in the morning. Room to lock your luggage in if you get there before you have room access.

This is definitely our preferred hotel in the area. They have a shuttle to the ship, but it is not free (we negotiated $5 per person).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived