First time solo- InternationL flight

Candi187

So this is my first time cruising alone and technically being able to really enjoy it as i was young on my first cruise. anywho as im reading the post for the first time im a little overwhelmed. i didnt think about flying in a day prior to my cruise departing. i booked an overnight flight from dulles washington dc to europe scheduled to arrive the nxt day at 1030am. (trip is next week). im looking for those who have traveled the day before overseas and if everything went smoothly. i cant change plans now unfortunately so looking for a little encouragement here lol. thanx guys :)

I think that your upcoming journey is very exciting! Most people do arrive the day before the cruise to insure they don't miss the ship if there are flight delays. The fact that you have extra time is the first thing to be happy about.

Another thing to be happy about is that you will have an opportunity to get over some of the jetlag. You can get a good night's rest at the hotel, have a shower in the morning and arrive at the ship rested and looking good:)

Not sure what transportation you have arranged....... we've used the cruise line's transportation as well as a shuttle bus and taxi. In our 15 cruises, it has gone very smoothly. I do make sure I have plenty of dollars on me so I can tip people who help with luggage, etc.

If you are arriving in a country that uses the Euro, you can stop at an ATM at the airport to pick up some cash.

Please post any other questions you have and we'll all be happy to give our opinions. In the meantime, smile and look forward to your cruise.

I'm sure there wont be any problems but give us a little more info. Are you flying in on the actual day your cruise departs? Which country/city? Europe is a big place! I assume you have your passport?

Unfortunately no i wont be able to do the hotel stay as i am arriving into Europe the day of the cruise....So, next tuesday i am taking a flight from JFK in NYC to Civitavecchia Italy. Its an overnight flight leaving NY at 755pm and arriving the next day, wednesday, in Italy at 1030am, the day of the cruise. Ill be in that morning and the cruise departs that evening at 7pm, so i suppose looking on the good side ill have time in between. I have my xfers set up with Norwegian to get to the ship so im not concerned about that, it was more so everyone stating the fact of arriving a day early which ofcourse makes sense, but unfortunately i didnt think of that :(

Assuming your transatlantic flight isn't delayed you should make your 7pm departure from Civitaveccia port OK. Ask the cruise line how they plan to transfer you from airport to ship (road or rail) just so you know but barring some major airline snafu I'd say you'll be fine even though my golden rule is always to fly in the day before departure.

Maybe look at your Roll Call here and you might find a few others who will be on the same flight and ship?

If you would have asked before you booked your flights I would have suggested arriving the day before the cruise just in case of airplane delays or cancellations and to give yourself a day to get over the jet lag.

When you arrive at 10:30 AM and then claim your luggage and go through customs then you can head over to the cruise port and hopefully board around the time you arrive. It will take around 45 minutes to get over to the port of call.

Keith

Ive tried, seems as though no one is going june 20 lol ive received no responses except one i posted about 3 months ago. ironic considering its sold out. But newho, nevertheless i guess ill meet people once on board or who knws, at the airport. Im jst really crossing my fingers on the flights, ive taken the time to check delay status and ratings on this particular flight which thankfully has a very high rating on ,on time and little to no delays. but we shall see the day of, until then im still excited and planning accordingly :D

You're very unlikely to be delayed enough to miss the ship. Not many eather delays in June, and the major transatlantic flights aren't normally cancelled. No guarantees, but you should be all right.

Just make sure you know where the next port is so you no where you want flying to in the worst case scenario!

As for seeing the area, I wouldn't bother. Civitavecchia is an industrial port, not much to see, and you'll be arriving at 4.30am your time - I'd get on board and get my head down for a few hours before sailing, if it was me. Have fun!

We have always arrived the day we were supposed to on international flights. Had we been boarding a ship the day we arrived, we would have been fine. So don't worry. It should work fine.

Next time, fly a day or more early

So this is my first time cruising alone and technically being able to really enjoy it as i was young on my first cruise. anywho as im reading the post for the first time im a little overwhelmed. i didnt think about flying in a day prior to my cruise departing. i booked an overnight flight from dulles washington dc to europe scheduled to arrive the nxt day at 1030am. (trip is next week). im looking for those who have traveled the day before overseas and if everything went smoothly. i cant change plans now unfortunately so looking for a little encouragement here lol. thanx guys :)

Have done it 3 times without any issues.

One tip from a fellow solo traveler. If at all possible, DO use the restroom facilities before claiming your luggage. This is the only drawback I have found during multiple solo trips - I have no one with whom to say "You stay with the luggage while I go....buy a soda/use the restroom/whatever." At the arrival airport, once you claim your luggage, all of it will have to go where you go.

One tip from a fellow solo traveler. If at all possible, DO use the restroom facilities before claiming your luggage. This is the only drawback I have found during multiple solo trips - I have no one with whom to say "You stay with the luggage while I go....buy a soda/use the restroom/whatever." At the arrival airport, once you claim your luggage, all of it will have to go where you go.

I do it all the time...just pack less ;)

It looks like you can board the ship in different places. This is the roll call for the June 17th Epic cruise. I think you get on on day 3 and stay on when those people get off in Barcelona? Maybe you can join both roll calls?. I hope I'm right lol

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1322487

Here is the roll call for the 24th June. You will already be on the ship when they get on!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1574122

Archived