ATD or Traditional Dining

bling19572010

It's unlikely that you would be able to do that, as the spots for traditional fill up pretty quickly, and by the time you are onboard there would probably be a wait-list for Traditional.

However. if you choose Traditional to start with, switching to Anytime should be no problem.

I would say that many times the traditional dining is all booked up and their may not be a place to transfer to, but, you can always check with the dining room and see if changing is possible. I have been doing the anytime dining since Princess started doing it and personally I haven't found a reason to go back to traditional, but then I'm not as seasoned a cruiser as many are and I'm not locked into tradition.

I also find that folks in traditional dining have no problem with coming to the anytime dining if it better suits their schedule. That is just a very short rant on one my buttons I hate to have pushed.

The benefits of Traditional Dining are that you get more personal service, the staff learns your particular wants and desires at dinner time. That don't happen in anytime dining. With anytime dining it is just as it says, anytime, and I find that gives you some flexibility.

You have to ask yourself what you want in terms of the meal. Traditional personal service with the same wait staff or the somewhat less personal interaction with the wait staff that could easily change every night. If you really like to be eating at the same time, traditional is the way to go. If you want to eat with the same people all the time, again traditional is the way to go. If you are more casual as we are... then anytime dining may be more to your liking. I think if you are up in the air about what you want, I would book traditional dining and see how you like it, you can always transfer to anytime dining.

Then of course are the folks who go to anytime dining and reserve the same time every night if possible. To that I say, why bother with anytime dining.

Just my two cents,

Dave

We are signed up for TD at 6pm but now with our excursions booked it looks like we might be too late for it on certain nights. Can we switch to ATD on those nights?

It depends on the Maitre 'd. Some allow it, and some don't. Alternatives would include the buffet, pizzeria, specialty restaurants (extra charge) and room service on all ships. Some ships have additional options.

We are signed up for TD at 6pm but now with our excursions booked it looks like we might be too late for it on certain nights. Can we switch to ATD on those nights?

If you speak with the Matre d' the evening before, chances are he will say it is OK to do anytime on the night your excursion gets back too late for your traditional seating.

Be sure to let your traditional waiter or dining companions know if you will not be there so they do not wait for you.

One time we were confirmed for traditional dining but got assigned to anytime dining. The maitre d' has a set time that he meets with people the first afternoon to make changes if they're not happy with their assignments. Other than having to stand in line about 20 minutes, it was easy to make the change on that cruise. It's more difficult to make changes the larger number of people in your party.

Thanks for the reminder! I would hate to have people (and our waiter) expecting us in the MDR and then we don't show up. I'm thinking specifically of the last night of the cruise, when we are in Victoria in the late evening. I hate to miss the farewell dinner though.

Thanks for the reminder! I would hate to have people (and our waiter) expecting us in the MDR and then we don't show up. I'm thinking specifically of the last night of the cruise, when we are in Victoria in the late evening. I hate to miss the farewell dinner though.

We always tell our tablemates the first night that if we are not there when they are ready to order, we are not coming.

Thank you for the info! :)

That's good to know. We are in suites, and I thought they had said that we would have ATD preference. I will have to ask about that.

You will not have trouble doing it if you are in a suite...they are very accomodating.

If you are going to miss TD on any night and know ahead of time, be courteous and tell your table mates and waiter that you will not be dining with them that night. They will appreciate it.

We always sign up for early traditional dining because we like the personalized service. If our tour will be late, we tell our server the night before and dine at the buffet. When we cannot, or chose not to do traditional dining, we do not go to anytime dining. The folks who signed up for anytime deserve those tables--so we go to the buffet or select room service.

In theory, Traditional diners are not supposed to just decide to use the AT dining rooms because for whatever reason the can't/don't want to make it to their assigned seating in Traditional. Some Maitre `Ds will turn them away if they show up at AT requesting a table. Depends on the ship, and whether or not cruise cards, which specify dining assignment, are being checked at the doorway before seating.

So, if you choose Traditional, a better choice, IMO, after a late excursion would be one of these options ..... 1) Horizon Court buffet; 2) one of the alternative restaurant venues; 3) food from the International Cafe (if your ship has this amenity); 4) Room service.

Just my opinion .....

If we sign up for ATD, can we change over to Traditional Dining if we don't like ATD and vice versa?

Thank you.

Ocean and Pacific do not have any time dining. If you are on one of the larger ships, your best bet is to check with the maitre'd when you get onboard.

~Doris~

I understand that the ships have a "Dine Line" to set up reservations for anytime dining. Is that true? How soon do the speciality restaurants fill up? And what's the best Speciality Restaurant on the Island Princess in your opinion?

I understand that the ships have a "Dine Line" to set up reservations for anytime dining. Is that true? How soon do the speciality restaurants fill up? And what's the best Speciality Restaurant on the Island Princess in your opinion?

You should not have a problem getting into either of the specialty restaurants on the Island. Just call when you get on board to make the reservation. I think Sabatini's is the better of the two although the Bayou Grill was nice as well. Depends on your menu choices.

Archived