What's your favorite book on ships and cruising?

jasbo49

I want to buy a cruise book for planning and/or dreaming purposes. I'm debating between "Frommer's Cruises and Ports of Call" and "Berlitz Complete Guide to Cruising and Cruise Ships."

Has anyone read and assessed either one? Or is there another book I should consider?

I know a lot of people will say "Why buy a book when you have the whole Internet for free," but I kind of like the go-anywhere nature of books and just being able to flip pages to compare things quickly. Maybe I'm old-fashioned but I still like books (and newspapers made out of real paper).

If any one has a recommendation, I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks.

Jim

Never needed "guide" books for cruising. My two favorite books are historical in nature and are great reads. By noted author John Maxtone Graham, they are "The only way to cross" and "Liners to the Sun". The latter is dated, but gets the point across as to the start of the modern age of cruising. John also wrote a great book on RCCL too. Another great author to read is Bill Miller; I have most of his books.

Forget guide books, learn about the history.

The Berlitz is second to none.

They are update annually. I have been using it since the early 1990's when we booked our second cruise.

I highly recommend it.

It give a very through writeup on each ship and also has a lot of other useful information.

It is the best and I still buy it.

Keith

I like real paper books, too! Love to turn the pages...it's just not the same on a screen!

Why not go to the library and get both! I've read Frommer's, but not the other. There are tons of books on cruising, ports and seagoing experiences out there! If you must purchase only 1 book, use the library and check them out first!

Oh the library is just too darn old. Usually their books on cruising are years old.

The berlitz book is about $20.00 on amazon.com.

It's a small price to pay for the added value it provides.

It has saved me lots of money from making the wrong decision.

Keith

I have a new Berlitz every year- some of the ships I've been on sell it on board. There are some mistakes, but the ships are well researched, and must come up to certain standards. As well as each cruising ship being discussed, there's pages of other information, such as we discuss on forums, including all the old favourites......:rolleyes:

Jo.

Oh the library is just too darn old. Usually their books on cruising are years old.

The berlitz book is about $20.00 on amazon.com.

It's a small price to pay for the added value it provides.

It has saved me lots of money from making the wrong decision.

Keith

I find my books in San Francisco main public library. The tour guides may be not this year, but they are not older than last year. They may not yet have 2012, but I would be surprised if they don't have 2011.

Thanks everyone. I'm glad to hear there are some other people out there who still find books relevant.

I've already exhausted the local library system, such as it is. We live about 10 miles outside a town of 2,000 people, so our library probably isn't what you're thinking of if you're in San Francisco or the Beltway. Our humble library did have a 2010 copy of the Frommer's book, so I've seen that. Just wanted to get others' opinions.

In the end I think I'll get the Berlitz since they're updated annually. I have an Amazon gift card burning a hole in my wallet. Thanks again for the comments.

jim

Archived