Can you buy Bonine on Oasis of the Seas?

I used to take Bonine when I cruise. Unfortunately the ones I bought last time when I was in the States have expired. Bonine used to be available here in Canada in the name of Bonamine but has since been discontinued. My flight time is really tight and I can only hope that I can buy some on the ship. Does anyone know if Oasis has this on board?

They had it on Enchantment of the Seas last week in the shop that sold sundries, right at the cash register.

Of course, seas were so rough that seasick bags were conveniently hung along stairway railings for people to use, so maybe Bonine was unusually made available because the need was great.

I go natural, ginger candy or ginger root pills,(GNC, health food store) Also peppermint tea helps with nausea (i bring my own) I personally don't trust those sea sick meds. Hey then again there are those who swear by them.

But try CVS or Walgreens should have it.

Generic form is meclizine. WalMart carries it over the counter. Also can order from Amazon.

This. If you look at your local drug store look for this but under a different brand name. There are many motion sickness meds marketed.

The active in Bonine is: Meclizine HCI 25 mg

On the Allure I did see Bonine in the gift shop as well. It does have a large mark up so I would search your local store for another brand before going that route. I can't remember the actual cost but do remember a mark up.

I had no idea about the free stuff. I am going to guess they give it out 1 pill at a time and that might be a pain... but I am only guessing.

Another thing many people on this board have had GREAT luck with is the ginger pills. There is a brand I prefer called "Sailor's secret" but there are many brands of ginger pills. I find those have a higher concentration. Mythbusters even did a show about them and they really do work. The big bonus is you can drink with the ginger and you can't with bonine. Another thing to look into is the crystallized ginger. This is dried ginger rolled in sugar. It is stronger and works better for motion sickness then the highly diluted candies. The stuff has a bite to it but stops motion sickness cold.

On our cruise on Rhapsody Australia/New Zealand they had Bonine for sale in the gift shop. Bonine is not available in Australia but as RCI is an American line they carry American products. I'm guessing it would be available on all the RCI ships.

Worked like a charm but did make me a little drowsy. I could still do everything I wanted to but couldn't sit down with a book for too long without nodding off :rolleyes: Still, wouldn't cruise without it now.

I have seen Bonine sold on every RCI ship I sailed.

The price is 1$ more than at the airport so don't worry if you don't have time to shop it's not that much more.

Hope you have a great cruise and don't need your Bonine:D

I have seen meclizine available for free in unit dose packages in the medical clinic onboard other ships (usually on deck 1?). It was in a wall dispenser and you could take as many as you need. Try going there before buying them in the gift shop. The brand they had was "Medi-meclizine", two 25mg tablets.

If you go to the customer service desk and ask they give you a little envelope with meclizine in it, there are a couple pills. You can go get them as often as you need them. I have done this on several cruises including the Allure. I am sure the Oasis is the same.

walmart 16 pack of Bonnine...$4.95...if you have a friend in the states have them mail it to you...my wife takes 2 a day...morning and just before dinner...she swears by them...i have never had a need...my kids take them two...PLEASE NO SLAMMING FOR SUGGESTING TO MAIL MEDICATIONS THRU THE MAIL...wait a minute that's how i gte my medications thru the mail...but it's staying in the same country...if not i'll mail it to you...

This was in an email I got today about my Oasis sailing:

Please note that Bonine (Meclizine) is available onboard all ships, from either the medical facility or the Guest Services Desk, at no charge to guests who are feeling seasick. This medication is available 24 hours a day for guests.

Yep..I got a couple little packets of the generic last year on the Monarch...we were being chased around by Hurricane Isabelle & I wasn't going to take any chances...luckily the capt. avoided the worst of it & I never really needed it...

We were just on the OOS and had to go to medical on deck 2. There is a box of some type of anti nausea medicine packets on the wall free. I personally like Motion Ease. Sold at Walmart, it is a homeopathic drop you put behind your ear and it works great and no side effects.

Just courious when you say it works great...have you used it because you were sea sick and it stopped it? OR just to prevent it? I don't get "sea sick " on a ship but I do get "motion sick" If I go on an amusment ride. Would love to find something that works with out making me so darned tired like the dramamine does !! DH loves rollercoasters and I use to until I got older and now I can't take the motion without felling like I am going to lose luch :o.

Just courious when you say it works great...have you used it because you were sea sick and it stopped it? OR just to prevent it? I don't get "sea sick " on a ship but I do get "motion sick" If I go on an amusment ride. Would love to find something that works with out making me so darned tired like the dramamine does !! DH loves rollercoasters and I use to until I got older and now I can't take the motion without felling like I am going to lose luch :o.

The Dramamine puts me to sleep also. The patch gives me a dry mouth but does not make me sleepy. The Bonine causes me to be a bit drowsy the first day, but not after that. They all work to keep me feeling well even in rough seas. We start taking them either the evening before boarding or soon after boarding and continue until we get off the ship. It is easier to prevent than to stop the symptoms after you get sick.

Bottom line is that these drugs have different side effects on different people. What happens to me may or may not happen to you. The only way to find out is to try them. Only then will you know what works best for you with the least objectionable side effect.

I get seasick as do all 3 of my kids. I have become a bit of an expert on the seasickness.

Not all meds work for all people and that is the major problem with correctly medicating. Know what type of motion sickness you suffer from (there are many different types) and the causes and what triggers it. Knowing these are the biggest help! Research and do some reading on it. I know wikpedia has a really good article about the different types causes and how to prevent it from happening.

Bonine makes you less drowsy then Dramamine but it can still make you drowsy. The good thing about it is you only have to take it 1-2 a day where Dramamine you take every 6 hours. Both prevent sickness but neither will cure it once your sick.

I did find a great use for Dramamine once you are sick! On the Allure we set sail in a tropical storm. Even that huge ship was rocking pretty seriously and all 3 kids got sick. You can take 1-2 Dramamine. My oldest sons (15 and 18) I gave them 2. My DD11 I gave her one. All 3 passed out asleep for the night, it made them that drowsy. The best cure if you already are suffering from seasickness is sleep! So in that Dramamine cured them.

The reason for this is most people suffer from motion sickness due to an inner ear problem. You eyes tell your brain your not moving and your inner ear tells your brain your moving. The best medical theory believe this sets the brain in over drive and that you are hallucinating due to a poison. Bam throwing up, dizzy and that "I drank too much" feel. Closing your eyes and going to sleep stops this.

I used the ear patch for the first time this last trip. I was so scared to use it and read horror stories on the internet about it. My DR all but begged me to try it. She uses it and loves it. She did explain there are side effects but to remember the internet is the internet. She never had a patient suffer from anything more then dry mouth. I trust my Dr so tried it and I too loved it and had no problems with it. So if you suffer from chronic seasickness talk to your doc about the ear patch. It changed my cruising life :D

However I would not be as comfy about putting it on my kids. Maybe my 18 year old but not my younger kids.

Things to pack if you do suffer from seasickness:

Crystallized ginger. This is dehydrated ginger rolled in sugar. It has a higher concentration of ginger then the candies or cookies. This stuff has serious bite to it but works great. It will also work to settle your stomach if you are already sick.

Ginger pills. Start taking them the day before and continue through the entire cruise. Most people find this works great and you might not need the extra meds. Ginger pills work for my sons but did not work for my daughter.

Everyone is different.

Ask to have green granny smith apples delivered to your room. There is a chemical in them that stops motion sickness. Most crew members or kitchen staff know about this and will usually give you their experience as a newbie on a ship and how it worked for them. Again, its one of those works for some but not all.

If you have tried all of the above and still can't hold your head up, call medical. They have a shot they can give you that is powerful but works. It does cost a medical visit but if you compare the price of paying for the shot or ruining your vacation because you can't lift your head ... it makes sense to suck it up and go get the shot.

Also research how to prevent it with your actions. Know what your triggers are and avoid them. Stay away from the Aft part of the ship and do not look out at the sea from the aft. This is a huge trigger as the going backwards feel while moving forwards will do horrid things to your inner ear balance. Same goes for spending too much time without a view of the outside. One of the fastest ways to cure your sickness is to run out to a balcony as fast as you can and look at the horizon. This straitens out your brain faster then anything.

Sorry so long winded but as I said, myself and my kids suffer from it so wanted to share what we learned to keep us from being ill :D Out of the 4 of us not one treatment works for more then 2 of us Ha Ha

Here is a funny video of my kids on the Allure 1 hour after sail away when we were trying to sail away from a tropical storm. As you can see, my kids got the full introduction to seasickness in that first hour!!! Happy to say after the meds kicked in and the waters calmed they did fine the rest of the trip except for a few moments here and there where they needed to go out onto the balcony to settle their stomach.

We made a quick retreat to our room from Samba's, I drugged the kids and they passed out right on the balcony. It did wonders for them!! I left them there to sleep too. I didn't push or try and get them to go to sleep on their beds. They were a million times better off out there sleeping. You can see the crystallized ginger on the ground between them as well.

7345046104_583fd96a51_c.jpg

Fresh Sea air ~ best thing for seasickness! by praline3001, on Flickr

I've only had sea sickness once, 30 ft seas on the Explorer....

When I returned to my room and my room steward took one look at me, he told me to hang tight, he'd be right back. He came back with a bowl of green apples and told me to eat one every 2-3 hours while in rough seas.

Worked like a charm!

I've only had sea sickness once, 30 ft seas on the Explorer....

When I returned to my room and my room steward took one look at me, he told me to hang tight, he'd be right back. He came back with a bowl of green apples and told me to eat one every 2-3 hours while in rough seas.

Worked like a charm!

Yes, the green apples do work for many people. Most of the crew are very aware of the green apple trick and most likely will try and get you to at least try it. It does not work for me but as I said, not all meds or treatments work for all people. Treating seasickness can be tricky due to that.

So many times you hear, "That stuff is crap. It didn't do anything for me."

This is common and the (insert treatment here) is not crap but might not work for you. As I said out of the 4 in my family who suffer not 1 treatment works for more then 2 of us. I have yet to find anything that works for all 4 of us.

Here is a link to their website.

http://www.motioneaze.com/motioneaze.html

I looked into this before but decided to stay away from it because of the herbs in it since I react to most things topical.

They have a money back guarantee, no questions asked, so it might be worth it if you don't have allergies.

Unfortunately I only know of the 2 kinds of Gravol (one is the drug and the other one from organic ginger) available in Canada for motion sickness. The medication one makes me all drowsy and it only lasts 6 hours, and the ginger one is not effective. I've tried eating granny smith apples, soda crackers, I've tried bringing ginger crystals to make ginger drink as well as sugar crystallized ginger piece but none worked when the ship rocks. I discovered Bonine on this site years ago and it worked wonders for me. I could enjoy the ship and all the activities while staying alert. The key is to take it before bed time every night. When the medication kicks in, even if it makes you drowsy, you're asleep anyway. I always woke up nice and alert the next day (plus a good night sleep). The best thing about Bonine is that one tablet can last 24 hours.

From your responses, RCCL should have Bonine onboard and that's a relief.

Brook, thanks for warning me after the aft balcony view. Guess what, I am having an aft balcony this time! :eek: I'll keep your warning in mind.

Unfortunately I only know of the 2 kinds of Gravol (one is the drug and the other one from organic ginger) available in Canada for motion sickness. The medication one makes me all drowsy and it only lasts 6 hours, and the ginger one is not effective. I've tried eating granny smith apples, soda crackers, I've tried bringing ginger crystals to make ginger drink as well as sugar crystallized ginger piece but none worked when the ship rocks. I discovered Bonine on this site years ago and it worked wonders for me. I could enjoy the ship and all the activities while staying alert. The key is to take it before bed time every night. When the medication kicks in, even if it makes you drowsy, you're asleep anyway. I always woke up nice and alert the next day (plus a good night sleep). The best thing about Bonine is that one tablet can last 24 hours.

From your responses, RCCL should have Bonine onboard and that's a relief.

Brook, thanks for warning me after the aft balcony view. Guess what, I am having an aft balcony this time! :eek: I'll keep your warning in mind.

No doubt, you go with what works. I think all of us seasick sickies always like to give helpful ideas whenever a seasick post comes up. Not to be bossy or anything ~ we just all know how miserable a cruise can be if your sick :(

As to your balcony ~ there is something you can do to make sure you don't get ill. Do not face it strait, looking back at the wake. Why this is important is it will mess with your inner ear balance. Your ear knows your moving forward but your eyes are telling your brain you are moving backward. It is a HUGE trigger. Always turn your body to the side and look out to the horizon from the side of the ship. Your eyes and your ear will both tell your brain your moving sideways which is much safer trigger wise. :D

Archived