Walk From Fira To Oia In July Mid-Afternoon

gatorpuppy

Out ship schedule for Santorini is 2pm - 10pm and we want to walk from Fira to Oia. Understand it will be hot but we are from Florida and used to the heat.:eek:

Looking for feedback from anyone who has done this walk in the afternoon.

Also....looking for suggestions on good viewing spots for sunset in Fira closed to cable cars.

Many thanks!;)

Walking between Fira and Oia is not a problem if you have the time and the weather is OK. But staying in Oia for the sunset can be a real problem when it comes to getting back to Fira so you can take the cable car down to get your ship's tender. The buses that run between Oia and Fira do not run very often and if its a busy day on the island its possible that a bus right after sunset would be so crowded that some could be denied boarding. At that point your only option is to get a taxi but its not always possible to find a taxi waiting around Oia. Keep in mind that you want to be back at the cable car station at least 45 min before your last tender (there can be long lines at the top cable car station if many folks are trying to get down at the same time to catch a tender. We have always wondered if its possible to call a taxi (you would need a cell phone or access to a public phone) to come to Oia...and if they would respond. Keep in mind that it can take 20 min + (one way) between Fira and Oia depending on traffic and you would still need some time to walk from the Fira bus station or a taxi drop spot back to the cable car station.

Hank

Out ship schedule for Santorini is 2pm - 10pm and we want to walk from Fira to Oia. Understand it will be hot but we are from Florida and used to the heat.:eek:

Also....looking for suggestions on good viewing spots for sunset in Fira closed to cable cars.

Many thanks!;)

Just remember the three critical ingredients, hats, sunscreen and water. As far as viewing any place that you can see is a good place to view sunset.

Many thanks!;)

Did this last October. When you get off the finicular, veer left and follow road parallel to the shoreline. Eventually you will find the tail from Fira to Oia. It's fantastic. I will try to attach photos to this if I can. Avid hikers can do it in a couple hours. We took a little longer dawdling to take photos etc. You can't get lost. Then you can take a cab or bus back to Fira. NOTE: cabs were running when we got off the finicular in Fira (according to passengers we talked to later; we were walking) and then at 9 a.m. they all went on strike. Luckily the bus was still running and taking it from Oia back to Fira was very interesting! Oia is tiny and easy to navigate and then take the bus back from. Or a cab if you wish. It's fun. OK I can't see how to attach a photo here so if you email me at brighamwriter at yahoo dot com I will send you some pics of our hike.

Did this last October. When you get off the finicular, veer left and follow road parallel to the shoreline. Eventually you will find the tail from Fira to Oia. It's fantastic. I will try to attach photos to this if I can. Avid hikers can do it in a couple hours. We took a little longer dawdling to take photos etc. You can't get lost. Then you can take a cab or bus back to Fira. NOTE: cabs were running when we got off the finicular in Fira (according to passengers we talked to later; we were walking) and then at 9 a.m. they all went on strike. Luckily the bus was still running and taking it from Oia back to Fira was very interesting! Oia is tiny and easy to navigate and then take the bus back from. Or a cab if you wish. It's fun. OK I can't see how to attach a photo here so if you email me at brighamwriter at yahoo dot com I will send you some pics of our hike.

Hi Mary,

I just tried to send you an e-mail but it did not work, could you please send me a few pictures. How long did the hike take you, did you hike back

tks

Joanne

PS, My hubby and I and another guest on our cruise will be hiking the trail in September of this year

pierrejoe@sympatico.ca

We are also from Florida. We were in Fira/Oia last week. It was hot and very, very humid--much more so than we had expected. In parts of Oia it was almost unbearable, with shade hard to come by. Personally I wouldn't take that walk unless it was a much cooler month.

We took the public bus for 5,60 r/t for two. It was very easy. They take a different route in each direction, which was nice as you get to see a lot of the island.

Are the public buses close to where you tender in from the ship? Is it like a ho-ho bus where you can get off then hop back on? Sounds like a nice way to see the island, I have been wanting to see Santorini forever!! Thank you,

Debbie

We took the cable car up to the top of the cliff, then it was a 10 minute meander to the bus station which isn't really a station, just a parking lot with a shelter. The buses run every half hour and seem to run on time, they announce them as they pull in, but it's just a guy yelling the detination, so you need to listen. They are nice 45' Setra and Mercedes coaches, quite comfortable.

They are not hoho's but actual public transit buses--it's how the locals get around. When you get on a "conductor" will go seat to seat to collect the fare--he'll geudgingly make change, but I'm not sure he'll tkae anything larger than a 10, maybe a 20 euro note. Once everyone has paid, the driver leaves the station. It's about a 20-25 minute ride.

Make sure to leave yourself enough time to get back and take the cable car down.

We got to Oia around 10:30 and stayed to around 1:00. We got back to Fira and found a cafe with free WiFi, had a light lunch and checked email on our phones, and then took the cable car down to the ship. There were only two ships in port that day with a total of maybe 500 passengers, so no wait for the cable car at all.

Also, there is a small supermarket right next to the bus stop in Oia with a large variety of oddball stuff. We were able to buy a roll of packing tape there.

My sister & I did this last year, took the bus to Oia and walked back, it took about 3 hours, we stopped to take pictures along the way and drink in the absolutely amazing views, drop dead gorgeous! Be careful, at some points you get pretty close to the cliff, also parts of the trail are along the road, so watch out for traffic. But even in end May it was pretty hot and humid, I'd never do it in July. Make sure to stay hydrated and don't forget your sunscreen and hat, if you don't mind the heat you'll love the hike:)

• 5 weeks later...

They said it's like a 20-25 minute bus ride from Fira to Oia, how long did it take you to walk? Did you walk on the road (was it busy?) or is there like a walking path? How safe would it be to walk back at night (right after sunset) for my husband and I?

• 4 weeks later...

My sister & I did this last year, took the bus to Oia and walked back, it took about 3 hours, we stopped to take pictures along the way and drink in the absolutely amazing views, drop dead gorgeous! Be careful, at some points you get pretty close to the cliff, also parts of the trail are along the road, so watch out for traffic. But even in end May it was pretty hot and humid, I'd never do it in July. Make sure to stay hydrated and don't forget your sunscreen and hat, if you don't mind the heat you'll love the hike:)

Thank you both for posting. This is a thread I have been looking for on the walk. Our cruise will be there next May early in the month and we would like to do this walk from Oia back to Fira. All will depend on the weather that day. Hopefully, since it will be early in May the temps will not be higher than the mid-70s.

Since both posters have done this can either of you tell me if it's a hilly walk?. I understand that it's about five miles which should be no problem for us but the hills could be a problem. We can walk sveral miles at a time but it's usually on mostly level ground.

Keep in mind that while the public buses are convenient, they can get very crowded, depriving you of any "view."

The buses are nice Setra, Mercedes, and Neoplan coaches--like a Greyhound, not like an urban transit bus. You sit in a high back padded seat--two per side. So I'm not sure how the view would be blocked.

Thank you both for posting. This is a thread I have been looking for on the walk. Our cruise will be there next May early in the month and we would like to do this walk from Oia back to Fira. All will depend on the weather that day. Hopefully, since it will be early in May the temps will not be higher than the mid-70s.

We were there this early May and it was in mid 80s, sunny, hot and no breeze so beware. Definitely take a hat, sunscreen and lots of water with you.

We were there this early May and it was in mid 80s, sunny, hot and no breeze so beware. Definitely take a hat, sunscreen and lots of water with you.

Thank you Seabreeze. Must have been above normal temps. I don't think we can do a six mile hike in mid-80s. Unless the temps are near the normal average high for early May there we'll have to skip the hike. According to the climatilogical data the average daily high for the first week of May is 71 degrees in Santorini. We'll have to wait and see if the temps stick to the historical averages before making the hike. We are in our 60s and can walk many miles but not in 80 degree temps. Thanks Seabreeze.

Many thanks!;)

Hot is an understatement. I am from Florida (lived there for 13 years) and now reside in Southern California--Los Angeles/Palm Desert. I can tell you, and I LOVE the heat---the Florida heat is not as hot (in fact, it is HUMID---was just there a couple of weeks ago)--and the Palm Desert heat is a bit more like the Santorini heat. Understand, you are up high, and the heat/sun are and has been beating down on the pavement. It is VERY hot, and dry. When u get there, u'll see. Bring plenty of water. You're going to need it in July.

Thank you Seabreeze. Must have been above normal temps. I don't think we can do a six mile hike in mid-80s. Unless the temps are near the normal average high for early May there we'll have to skip the hike. According to the climatilogical data the average daily high for the first week of May is 71 degrees in Santorini. We'll have to wait and see if the temps stick to the historical averages before making the hike. We are in our 60s and can walk many miles but not in 80 degree temps. Thanks Seabreeze.

You're very welcome. One thing you may want to consider is to do the hike from Fira to Oia instead and do it first thing in the morning. The temperature would be more pleasant at the beginning of your hike and just beginning to get hot at the end of your hike. If you start the hike around noon which may be hot to begin with, the temperature could become unbearable by the middle of your hike.

Since both posters have done this can either of you tell me if it's a hilly walk?. I understand that it's about five miles which should be no problem for us but the hills could be a problem. We can walk sveral miles at a time but it's usually on mostly level ground.

Tenn4ever, I wouldn't call this a hilly walk, though the surfaces can be uneven at several places. And I agree that it might be a good idea to walk from Fira to Oia first thing in the morning and take the bus back as it gets hotter in the day, this way you only do 3 miles in cooler conditions. Happy travels:)

It's mostly level, but there is at least one decent hill as you approach Oia (you go up, then down into Oia).

We were there in May five years ago, and it was quite a bit hotter than low 70s. And part of the trail is dark volcanic rock, so it feels even hotter.

Going up the hill.

large.jpg

This is close to Oia, looking back along the route.

large.jpg

We'll be doing this walk in October. Can you tell me if there is a place to refill water bottles along the way? Or a rest room? There appeared to be a small cafe in someone's pictures where the trail joins the road for a bit.

Thanks

Archived