Refilling water bottles

taminator911

I never know how to phrase these thread titles! Hubby and I want to take our water bottles with us when we leave the ship each day for our excursions & sight seeing. Can we refill them in one of the dining areas? Or request a pitcher of water each morning? We'll be in a veranda suite on HAL.

Probably seems like a crazy question but didn't want to spend a fortune on bottled water and that's pretty much all we drink - water.

Thanks!!

I never know how to phrase these thread titles! Hubby and I want to take our water bottles with us when we leave the ship each day for our excursions & sight seeing. Can we refill them in one of the dining areas? Or request a pitcher of water each morning? We'll be in a veranda suite on HAL.

Probably seems like a crazy question but didn't want to spend a fortune on bottled water and that's pretty much all we drink - water.

Thanks!!

Why not just fill them up in your cabin? Put them in your refrigerator.

And if you want ice, just see that your steward brings it.

Yes, you can refill your water bottles.

The hygenic way to do it is to fill glasses with water, then pour the water into your bottles.

Cruisingly Yours

Once you think you have read it all ...... a thread on how to fill a bottle with water.:rolleyes:

Instructions follow:

1. Get bottle.

2. Remove cap (put in safe place for later use)

3. Find a water spiggot (they can be found all over the ship, restrooms, your bathroom)

4. Turn water spiggot on.

5. Place open end of bottle (the top part) under spiggot

6. Direct flowing water into bottle.

7. Go to the safe place that you previously placed cap, retrieve, install back onto top of bottle.

8. When contents of bottle become empty, repeat steps 1 through 7.

Despite JohnEeo's sarcasm, if you refill your bottle in the buffet area, an employee may approach you and ask to use a glass - to pour water in the glass, and out of the glass in your bottle - to make sure your bottle will not touch the faucet that everybody uses - like TeemSum said.

On many ships they will require you use a clean glass each time you empty one into your water bottle.

I have an extra large thermal coffee mug and fill it at the buffet and have been told many times to use a clean cup for each pour.

I thought this was silly until I saw how many other passengers treated the community coffee supply.

Despite JohnEeo's sarcasm, if you refill your bottle in the buffet area, an employee may approach you and ask to use a glass - to pour water in the glass, and out of the glass in your bottle - to make sure your bottle will not touch the faucet that everybody uses - like TeemSum said.

And I have approached the ice machine to do this, and had an employee grab my bottle and put it right under the ice machine and fill it...regardless of what the sign on the machine says. EM

For the first 48 hours on HAL ships -- you can not fill your own bottles with ice and water in the Lido -- mainly because the ship is in Code orange during that time and you can touch nothing in the Lido -- no self service for even water, tea or coffee. And the limited staff in the Lido do not have time to that for you as they constantly have to prep coffee, tea and water glasses.

You will have to use the tap water in your cabin.

The refrigerators on HAL ships are "coolers" -- they do not keep anything really cold.

Once you think you have read it all ...... a thread on how to fill a bottle with water.:rolleyes:

Instructions follow:

1. Get bottle.

2. Remove cap (put in safe place for later use)

3. Find a water spiggot (they can be found all over the ship, restrooms, your bathroom)

4. Turn water spiggot on.

5. Place open end of bottle (the top part) under spiggot

6. Direct flowing water into bottle.

7. Go to the safe place that you previously placed cap, retrieve, install back onto top of bottle.

8. When contents of bottle become empty, repeat steps 1 through 7.

Filling bottles like this is one way of spreading noro virus! You should ALWAYS use a glass to fill a water bottle!

Yes, you can refill your water bottles.

The hygenic way to do it is to fill glasses with water, then pour the water into your bottles.

Cruisingly Yours

Thank You for posting

A woman I worked with wore lipstick, would fill her water bottle from tap, getting too close trying to avoid spilling and leave lipstick. Gross!!! But made me wonder about other people leaving their germs. On ship I usually fill bottles in room, chill in fridge.

Putting your water bottles into your ice bucket and making sure there is both water and ice in the bucket does a better job that depending on the cool box provided by cruise lines which is certainly not a real refrigerator.

Filling bottles like this is one way of spreading noro virus! You should ALWAYS use a glass to fill a water bottle!

So, going into my bathroom, turning on the spiggot, and filling up my water bottle spreads noro.

So, I should go into my bathroom, fill a glass with water, and then pour it into my bottle?

How about when I brush my teeth, how should that be done to avoid noro virus?

This just might be the stupidest thread I have ever participated in on CC.

Many ships have signs by the water stations in the buffet areas that filling water bottles is not allowed, due to sanitary reasons. People still do it, but....

We always fill our bottles in the cabin and keep them in the fridge. They stay cool enough; if not, like another person said, put them in the ice bucket, or bring a bottle big enough to add ice to.

For the first 48 hours on HAL ships -- you can not fill your own bottles with ice and water in the Lido -- mainly because the ship is in Code orange during that time and you can touch nothing in the Lido -- no self service for even water, tea or coffee. And the limited staff in the Lido do not have time to that for you as they constantly have to prep coffee, tea and water glasses.

You will have to use the tap water in your cabin.

The refrigerators on HAL ships are "coolers" -- they do not keep anything really cold.

Even on HAL ships, you can get water for your bottle. You go to whichever waiter is in charge of water, ask for 4 glasses of water, and carry them back to your table. Then you fill up the bottle. Perfectly hygienic, can't spread germs.

Even on HAL ships, you can get water for your bottle. You go to whichever waiter is in charge of water, ask for 4 glasses of water, and carry them back to your table. Then you fill up the bottle. Perfectly hygienic, can't spread germs.

Or maybe you could go into your own cabin bathroom and fill them up yourself.

But yes, I am sure the "waiter in charge of water" can certainly bring back 4 glasses of water, or even 8, or 16 glasses of water. And I would bet that the "waiter in charge of water" could probably take those glasses, and fill up your water bottle for you.

Definately the dumbest thread ever on CC.

Or maybe you could go into your own cabin bathroom and fill them up yourself.

But yes, I am sure the "waiter in charge of water" can certainly bring back 4 glasses of water, or even 8, or 16 glasses of water. And I would bet that the "waiter in charge of water" could probably take those glasses, and fill up your water bottle for you.

Definately the dumbest thread ever on CC.

I've never been on a HAL ship, but on P&O when the ship's under plague restrictions, you go to the buffet with your tray as normal, but waiters have to push the buttons and hand over your food/drink. Are you saying that on HAL you don't carry your own food in the buffets?

If you fill your (insulated) water bottle from the tap in the cabin, how do you get it iced? Or don't you bother?

So, going into my bathroom, turning on the spiggot, and filling up my water bottle spreads noro.

So, I should go into my bathroom, fill a glass with water, and then pour it into my bottle?

How about when I brush my teeth, how should that be done to avoid noro virus?

This just might be the stupidest thread I have ever participated in on CC.

I think the comments about using a clean glass to get water were meant to apply to the buffet. When people re-use cups there, they risk transferring their germs from the cup to the spout. From there, these germs can be spread to other cruises.

We just fill the bottles from the bathroom sink faucet and put them in the fridge. Most ships that we have been on have a sign in the buffet requesting that you not refill glasses or bottles for the obvious reason.

I usually take glasses of ice and water to my table at the buffet and fill it there. The waiter informed me that if I was using one of the tumbler type things with a separate lid and straw, then I can refill it at the station itself.

While on this subject, on my recent Bermuda cruise on the Enchantment, I saw a woman rinsing her hands in the cold drinking water next to the ice machine......why she could not walk the few steps to the bathroom to wash their hands, I fail to understand!!!!

Umm, never realized this would get so much attention or be considered the "stupidest" thread on CC. I asked the question for a very specific reason. Of course, one does always have the option to not reply or participate in the thread - just a thought.

Anyhow, thanks for the feed back y'all!! I actually got my question answered from some very nice folks. CC has been a wealth of information for a first time cruiser. :)

Umm, never realized this would get so much attention or be considered the "stupidest" thread on CC. I asked the question for a very specific reason. Of course, one does always have the option to not reply or participate in the thread - just a thought.

Anyhow, thanks for the feed back y'all!! I actually got my question answered from some very nice folks. CC has been a wealth of information for a first time cruiser. :)

The Water People have been known to drive some participants crazy.;)

Archived