A Bermuda Cruise in Review: Summit (with pics!)

ChampionCruiser

• 3 months later...
Here are a few random shots throughout the ship to end with. If you can’t tell, I was extremely impressed with everything.

7390439522_8e7288c066.jpg

7390323208_be6ef2a852.jpg

7390392988_d29762c9f8.jpg

That wraps up the tour of the ship! I missed a few spots (Rendezvous, iLounge, Oceanview Cafe….) but hopefully it gives you a good idea of what the Summit looks like now.

I’ll be back tomorrow with the start of the actual review!

Up next: Day 1: Bayonne, New Jersey

Fantastic pictures! You are a great photographer! I am new to Celebrity, and my March cruise on Summit will be my first Celebrity cruise, so I appreciate getting a preview.

The last picture here, of the metal "thing" - where is that? It's very striking.

Enjoyed all your pictures. Try and talk your family into a Baltic cruise while you are in Norway (unless have already gone on one). We were on the Constellation a couple of years ago and it was a trip of a lifetime. Be prepared, the prices in Norway make London look cheap!

I agree on this - Baltic cruise was absolutely wonderful. We did it on Oceania last summer and had a fabulous time. Many of the ports up that way are NOT cheap, but at least most of the cities you're likely to go to (other than St. Petersburg) can be done on your own without having to take expensive shore excursions.

What a great review! Your enthusiasm is contagious. It really makes me look forward to our repeat cruise next month.

One word on the appearance of the Bayonne port. All of the NJ destinations viewed by those who are not residents have been designed to be unattractive - the Turnpike, Newark Airport, Bayonne, the Meadowlands. Our state is full - there is no more room, and we actively discourage anyone from moving here so you don't get to see the beautiful beaches, green fields and farms or rolling hills and mountains. We try to foster the impression that the state is one vast oil refinery. ;)

Ha Ha! After just driving by the port of Baltimore, which is located in a very, very industrial and unattractive part of Baltimore, I agree - what you see at a port is not necessarily representative of the whole city, or the whole state!

Wrap-up

In case I wasn’t positive enough throughout the review, I’ll say it again: this was my favorite cruise to date. Nearly everything was as perfect as possible, from the ship to the crew to Bermuda. The difference between Celebrity and the other lines I’ve sailed on is pretty clear. I felt that the food was far better than the other lines and the service was on par with what we’ve experienced with Royal and Princess. The ship is beautiful and there is constant upkeep everywhere. Oh, and I liked Bermuda….a lot :).

It was the little things that really made Celebrity stand out, though. These weren’t things that make or break a cruise but they add up. The free champagne, chocolates at turndown, cloth towels in the public restrooms, open deck towel rentals, complimentary totes and umbrellas, and refreshments and cool towels at the pier are all small enhancements that add up to a great experience.

I can’t wait to sail on Celebrity and cruise to Bermuda again and I hope you all enjoy your future cruises! Please let me know if there are any other questions.

Up Next: I can’t wait to find out :D

Sorry for all the late questions. I hope you're still folllowing this post, or if not, perhaps someone who IS can help. I just booked Summit to the southern Caribbean yesterday, and just found this great thread. I'm a first time Celeb cruiser and have to ask:

what are "open deck towel rentals?" Do you grab a towel, check one out, or what? I'm confused! Thanks.

Yes, towel question. On rccl you have to give room number for towel. What about when u leave ship for the beach?! Summitt in the summer. Yeah.

On Celebrity ships there are always plenty of fresh towels on the pool deck....just help yourself and when you're finished with your towel dump it in the bins provided. In your stateroom you'll find beach towels that you can take off the ship to use at the beaches or on your excursion. You don't need to exchange any 'towel cards' like on some other ships or at all-inclusives.

Enjoy your cruise!

Sorry for all the late questions. I hope you're still folllowing this post, or if not, perhaps someone who IS can help. I just booked Summit to the southern Caribbean yesterday, and just found this great thread. I'm a first time Celeb cruiser and have to ask:

what are "open deck towel rentals?" Do you grab a towel, check one out, or what? I'm confused! Thanks.

I am also cruising Celebrity for the first time. Have only been on HAL, a sentimental favorite of mine since as a baby I sailed a TA on the SS Rotterdam. Looking forward to cruising to Bermuda on the Summit in June! This review was fantastic and I can't wait to go!

Café al Bacio

I’m not a coffee drinker, but I did enjoy the complimentary pastries. I’m not sure if many knew that they were free of charge, because I rarely saw passengers getting them. The almond croissants were my favorite!

X's web site states this Cafe is ala carte pricing. So, can I assume that is only for the specialty beverages. ???

Fantastic review and your pictures are gorgeous. I was hesitant about this ship since we never tried Celebrity before but I now definitely think it will be great.

Do they have any dining specials on Celebrity for the speciality restaurants? Early seating half -off or anything like that? QSine looks so amazing but the price is pretty steep.

Fantastic review and your pictures are gorgeous. I was hesitant about this ship since we never tried Celebrity before but I now definitely think it will be great.

Do they have any dining specials on Celebrity for the speciality restaurants? Early seating half -off or anything like that? QSine looks so amazing but the price is pretty steep.

I do recall that they have a special package that can be booked onboard. It is a discount if you purchase a restaurant package- three or more speciality restaurants you save some money. I believe about $10 pp. for all three. In addition, sometimes they offer a discount off any restaurant booking the first cruise night, I assume depending upon it's occupancy- but that will vary and will also only be available on board. Go to the restaurant or speak to the restaurant agent when you board. You will see a display for specialty restaurants as you enter the buffet for lunch-day one. We find the experience and the food in the specialty restaurants worth the extra charge. But of course has to work with your budget. Enjoy.

Thanks for the info on the metal sculpture and towels. I have never been on a ship that keeps track of towels, and am glad to hear that that will not be the case on my upcoming cruise! (Not that it's a big deal, but I was just curious.)

The ship looks beautiful.

This morning I was snooping around, and there is a package offered for the specialty dining restaurants. We aren't planning to do more than one, so I looked no further, but just wanted to point out that the info is contained in the "Already Booked" section or somewhere similar if people are interested in that.

One question I have as a newbie is this: On Summit, there's no place to eat dinner outside, is there? Is the buffet inside?

One question I have as a newbie is this: On Summit, there's no place to eat dinner outside, is there? Is the buffet inside?

The Waterfall Café (buffet) is inside but you can pick up your plate there and bring it to the Sunset bar at the aft. With a cold beer, it's the perfect spot for lunch! You can also do it for dinner but that could be cool and you will miss the food of the MDR.

Yes, towel question. On rccl you have to give room number for towel. What about when u leave ship for the beach?! Summitt in the summer. Yeah.

They have plenty of towels for you and when in port? Your cabin

attendant should leave you beach towels in the cabin for you to

use. No numbers for them on Celebrity. Just remember to bring

them back back to the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

Well. needless to say I HAVEN'T followed my own thread for about 5 months...I'm honestly shocked (but pleased) it's still going!

I'm glad others were able to answer questions...hopefully I didn't accidentally ignore any!

And yes, it's been 7 months but I still think about Bermuda and the Summit ALL the time!

I was able to get you the ornament. I'm not sure how to send a private message, but I sent you a friend request as I thought that may be the way to go.

Thanks!

:o It might be WAY too late for this, but again I haven't been following along...

I'm not sure how to send a private message either but if you by chance see this (and still have the ornament), I'd love to get in touch!

I agree on this - Baltic cruise was absolutely wonderful. We did it on Oceania last summer and had a fabulous time. Many of the ports up that way are NOT cheap, but at least most of the cities you're likely to go to (other than St. Petersburg) can be done on your own without having to take expensive shore excursions.

I took a quick cruise up the Norwegian coast a few months ago (which was terrific) but I'd definitely like to see more of N. Europe - and what better way than by cruise ship?

And yes, I definitely miss the prices back home. These Norwegian prices are killing me!!

• 1 month later...

Archived