They Know Who We Are

musicgal

On this past cruise, I had occasion to talk to several of the crew and staff, asking them questions that displayed a certain level of knowledge about the ship that was above what the average cruiser might know. For example, I asked a staff member about how much it cost to turn the ship around like they needed to for the emergency on the recent cruise to Hawaii. He had a glint in his eye... and he remarked that I'd been following the news about the ship;). I just called it an emergency- I didn't say what had happened, but he went ahead and talked about it saying that it was just a good example of how well the Man Overboard system worked that day and how well implemented the program was. I totally agree BTW. They parse their language very carefully... I feel that they walk on eggshells to meet the secrecy standards set by management while still not lie to passengers.

I talked to several staff members and told them I'd cruised with them before... and that I was a CC member.

They did not seem terribly thrilled:rolleyes: But, once they realized that I was not malicious but friendly, they chatted with me. And I learned a few things that I will be judicious with sharing if the situation arises. There may be crew and/or staff that secretly despise their customers, but I am literally suprised everytime I cruise at how many staff express good will towards us if we are kind and friendly... and that extends itself to helpful tips and information.

I guess I just want to encourage everyone not to reveal specifically, the name or position of any staff or crew member who shares information with you- on or off the ship. I do not think management understands completely that most of the information we get builds good will only... but we all have a responsibility to protect those who have been good to us.:)

Many forget that the staff is there to do a job and provide a service. Some think they have hired them when they paid for their cruise and can treat them like animals. i always treat the staff with the respect I want in return and keep my request to a reasonable level. Act like you would at any resort and try not to make their job any harder than what it is. That way both have an enjoyable experience with the cruise line. Having been to many countries for various reasons I have rarely encountered rude or obnoxious residents of a country. With a little kindness you will learn much more about the country you are in.

many forget that the staff is there to do a job and provide a service. Some think they have hired them when they paid for their cruise and can treat them like animals. I always treat the staff with the respect i want in return and keep my request to a reasonable level. Act like you would at any resort and try not to make their job any harder than what it is. That way both have an enjoyable experience with the cruise line. Having been to many countries for various reasons i have rarely encountered rude or obnoxious residents of a country. With a little kindness you will learn much more about the country you are in.

When info is shared with a passenger, in the spirit of being helpful, the courtesy should be returned by the passenger. As long as the crew member, sharing insightful info that the (everyday cruiser) may not be privy to, does not put anyone in jeopardy, danger or flagrantly goes against policy and procedure; I see no harm. Makes my cruise experience a more well-rounded one. I respect that.;)

Many forget that the staff is there to do a job and provide a service. Some think they have hired them when they paid for their cruise and can treat them like animals. i always treat the staff with the respect I want in return and keep my request to a reasonable level. Act like you would at any resort and try not to make their job any harder than what it is. That way both have an enjoyable experience with the cruise line. Having been to many countries for various reasons I have rarely encountered rude or obnoxious residents of a country. With a little kindness you will learn much more about the country you are in.

I'm with you. A little gratitude and respect goes a long way. I have always called out my room steward by name as I see them. Usually I sing it, just to get them to smile and laugh :). I give them a high five, make small talk.. it is a silly gesture but little things like that can be the difference in their day.

I'm with you. A little gratitude and respect goes a long way. I have always called out my room steward by name as I see them. Usually I sing it, just to get them to smile and laugh :). I give them a high five, make small talk.. it is a silly gesture but little things like that can be the difference in their day.

I agree with all that :) ...and we keep our room neat. They really appreciate that ;)

I agree with all that :) ...and we keep our room neat. They really appreciate that ;)

Right there with you. My husband laughs that I keep our cabin clean yet have clothes all over our bedroom at home. I tell him we just need to cruise more!

I talked to several staff members and told them I'd cruised with them before... and that I was a CC member.

They did not seem terribly thrilled:rolleyes: But, once they realized that I was not malicious but friendly, .:)

You do realize the reputation cc has in the cruising world right? Lets just say it aint good!

You folks talk like you would only do these things on a cruise. Do you not treat all people this way? I don't change how I behave because I am on a cruise.

And the obsession with making new bff's with the crew baffles me. I mean I am nice and kind to everyone, but I feel no desire to learn their life story.

I would also think that a fair portion of what they tell people is designed to maximize the tips they get.

You do realize the reputation cc has in the cruising world right? Lets just say it aint good!

Ain't that the truth!!

We've all seen the rude "snarkieass"* comments here.

Well if you ever read John Healds Facebook replies, it seems

everybody thinks we are all that way.

*btw...yeah, I think I just made up that word.:D

Ain't that the truth!!

We've all seen the rude "snarkieass"* comments here.

Well if you ever read John Healds Facebook replies, it seems

everybody thinks we are all that way.

*btw...yeah, I think I just made up that word.:D

I like your new word!;)

We discovered the best way to here the inside scoop was to be on a public bus also used by the crew. Once heard a phone call of a crew member dissing her immediate supervisor and others.:eek:

Not the cruising world in general, maybe on Carnival.

CC events are sponsored (with snacks provided) by RCCl. NCL goes all out to host CC Meet & Greets, with the Captain and most Sr Officers present and they hand out their business cards and invite you to call them anytime you need them to look into something.

Not the cruising world in general, maybe on Carnival.

CC events are sponsored (with snacks provided) by RCCl. NCL goes all out to host CC Meet & Greets, with the Captain and most Sr Officers present and they hand out their business cards and invite you to call them anytime you need them to look into something.

That is good to hear, I was more talking about with fellow cruisers. As a long time member of several cruise-line specific boards, this site is viewed as the Wild Wild West.

That is just my experience with things, YMMV.

Really?? I just bought the CC lanyard to carry my S&S card... would wearing it not be a good idea?

I think you are fine. I did not wear my CC polo on this past cruise though. Just got finished reading JH's 2012 Valentine's Day blog and it is chock full of derogatory comments about CC, without naming us, although he does name one of our local curmudgeons several times in the entry.

Unfortunately, there is a type of adversarial image of CC members being cast to Carnival staff- and I have to say that I am very happy to be part of the CC community. And I really am a nice person:p That's not to say I don't fight back or comment when it is called for. I have no problem doing that.

Bottom line is: CC members can recognize hardworking individuals on the ships they sail in a more effective way than has ever been realized before. Who are OUR stars? I want to elevate the people who make my vacations a joy and wonder. I very seldom feel that I need to name someone by name in any review here or on TripAdvisor- but I will, if I think that in the long run, someone will save major money or major aggravation by my doing so.

Now, I don't get anything DONE when I watch the posts on here all day long, but- the boards saved me a lot of money and frustration on this past trip. It is my purpose to be off here as a poster as of Tuesday next week- but I just booked the Magic cruise for Valentine's Day today. Called my PVP today and realized that I am more in the "know" about some things than he/she is. So, I'll be on here gleaning information about the itinerary and try not to ask questions. Lurking... then I will wean myself completely until final payment in the Winter.

I think you are fine. I did not wear my CC polo on this past cruise though. Just got finished reading JH's 2012 Valentine's Day blog and it is chock full of derogatory comments about CC, without naming us, although he does name one of our local curmudgeons several times in the entry.

Thanks, yeah I had seen several other posts about people being approached by other cruisers when wearing CC shirts and having to listen to all their complaints so I figured one of those wouldn't be a good idea, lol.

I read JH's blog for the first time yesterday and I too noticed he mentioned one person I had seen posting here.. I think he mentioned him in more than one of his posts. I haven't read any shocking posts by this person so I wasn't sure what started it all.

Don't worry about wearing CC stuff... For all the people on here that want to feel "important" or on JH blog the reality is that less than 10% of cruisers have even heard of this site and less than 10% of them are on here and less than 10% of them actually post here. So 10% of 10% of 10% would care that you wear CC gear. These percentages are purely made up by me and I really don't care:eek:

Seriously CC'ers make up a vocal but small minority of cruisers.

You folks talk like you would only do these things on a cruise. Do you not treat all people this way? I don't change how I behave because I am on a cruise.

And the obsession with making new bff's with the crew baffles me. I mean I am nice and kind to everyone, but I feel no desire to learn their life story.

I would also think that a fair portion of what they tell people is designed to maximize the tips they get.

I agree, I always treat people the way I want to be treated.

Now, I don't get anything DONE when I watch the posts on here all day long, but- the boards saved me a lot of money and frustration on this past trip. It is my purpose to be off here as a poster as of Tuesday next week- but I just booked the Magic cruise for Valentine's Day today. Called my PVP today and realized that I am more in the "know" about some things than he/she is.

Like :-) Funny how that happens...

Sad to say, but I won't wear or bring any CC stuff on a cruise (got a bunch on a group cruise some years ago) or even mention the site onboard anymore. Way too bad of a reputation with the crew from the people who rant and rave that they are CC members and deserve something special or that they will post a bad review if they don't get their way. :rolleyes:

I agree, I treat people the way that I would like to be treated.

We did this too. One reason was so the room stewards wouldn't have to deal with all of our junk. The other reason was because the rooms are so small we had no choice! It was quite pleasant to be tidy for a few days :D

Totally agree. I'm not sure what cryptic message the OP was trying to get across exactly. I don't feel the need to discuss "secret" ship happenings with crew, staff or anyone else.

In a recent review, I commented on how I always say Please and Thank You to the "lowly" buffet workers and was ripped for calling them lowly. The responder obviously failed to note my sarcasm.

I honestly NEVER hear people politely ask for or thank the buffet server for anything. But then, I don't hear them do that in a fast food restaurant, either.

It's walk up to the line/counter and bellow "YEAH, GIMMEE...."

On the last morning of one of my cruises, after getting my made-to-order omelette that I got every morning from the same cook, I thanked him for being so pleasant and doing such a great job with my order. He looked very surprised and thrilled that someone would take 5 seconds to thank him. When I turned around, the people standing and waiting were looking at me like I had three heads.

<shaking the only one I have, wondering what is wrong with people and why no one has any manners or common decency>

Right there with you. My husband laughs that I keep our cabin clean yet have clothes all over our bedroom at home. I tell him we just need to cruise more!

Us too. We try to leave our cabin as clean as we can. If I keep my house up I keep my cabin up too.

Archived