They Know Who We Are

musicgal

Totally agree. I'm not sure what cryptic message the OP was trying to get across exactly. I don't feel the need to discuss "secret" ship happenings with crew, staff or anyone else

The "cryptic" message that the OP was trying to get across? Really? And you talk about how you are not rude?

Glad you don't feel the need to discuss "secret" ship happenings with anyone, but some people have and gotten crew in trouble. Uncryptic enough for ya, pal?

the "cryptic" message that the op was trying to get across? Really? And you talk about how you are not rude?

Glad you don't feel the need to discuss "secret" ship happenings with anyone, but some people have and gotten crew in trouble. Uncryptic enough for ya, pal?

:) :)

This thread is a prime example of how much things have changed in our society in general.... 90% of it just has to do with respect... What happened to "Please" and "Thank You" .... I suppose they are in the corner with "Yes Sir" and "No Sir"...

Has entitlement found cruising too??? When I was a child you carried your manners around with you... You didn't leave them at home because you were "on vacation"... For the most part you are treated as you treat others...

If you walk around with your nose stuck up like your superior, your likely the first one who gets to sniff the foul air...

This thread is a prime example of how much things have changed in our society in general.... 90% of it just has to do with respect... What happened to "Please" and "Thank You" .... I suppose they are in the corner with "Yes Sir" and "No Sir"...

Has entitlement found cruising too??? When I was a child you carried your manners around with you... You didn't leave them at home because you were "on vacation"... For the most part you are treated as you treat others...

If you walk around with your nose stuck up like your superior, your likely the first one who gets to sniff the foul air...

I often wonder if some people have worked in the service industry. Granted its basic manners but once you have worked in the service industry you have a different level of respect for those in those positions.

Totally agree. I'm not sure what cryptic message the OP was trying to get across exactly. I don't feel the need to discuss "secret" ship happenings with crew, staff or anyone else.

In a recent review, I commented on how I always say Please and Thank You to the "lowly" buffet workers and was ripped for calling them lowly. The responder obviously failed to note my sarcasm.

I honestly NEVER hear people politely ask for or thank the buffet server for anything. But then, I don't hear them do that in a fast food restaurant, either.

It's walk up to the line/counter and bellow "YEAH, GIMMEE...."

On the last morning of one of my cruises, after getting my made-to-order omelette that I got every morning from the same cook, I thanked him for being so pleasant and doing such a great job with my order. He looked very surprised and thrilled that someone would take 5 seconds to thank him. When I turned around, the people standing and waiting were looking at me like I had three heads.

<shaking the only one I have, wondering what is wrong with people and why no one has any manners or common decency>

Maybe I need to get out more because I've never heard anyone say "Gimmie" Maybe it's a southern thing to be rude?:)

Maybe I need to get out more because I've never heard anyone say "Gimmie" Maybe it's a southern thing to be rude?:)

Oh dear... is it time to get out the popcorn? Start a nice little thread and here comes the civil war now:eek:

Who are the we that they know?

Do they do a background check on all of the passengers?

Do they had out a bio to the crew members about the passengers in the cabin or serving us in the dining room?

Are they able to to see everything about us when they scan our cruise card?

That would be a real invasion of privacy.

You do realize the reputation cc has in the cruising world right? Lets just say it aint good!

Not surprising at how the mods let hostility flow here. I bet the same hostile snarks are the rudest cruisers ever. If they cant take 10 seconds to read their own hate and snark they post here, just think how quickly it flies off the tongue in person.

I would never mention CC on my cruise. I dont even know why I would.

Who are the we that they know?

Do they do a background check on all of the passengers?

Do they had out a bio to the crew members about the passengers in the cabin or serving us in the dining room?

Are they able to to see everything about us when they scan our cruise card?

That would be a real invasion of privacy.

Nah- the thread title just refers to the fact that the crew knows what CC is and their reactions based on what they've heard about CC members. I never expect anyone to be less than polite, but I would like them to know that most CC members do respect what they do and are polite... without having to go into becoming new bffs.

On a side note, the Sail and Sign does relay a lot of information to some of the staff- for example, it is used (or was for us) to determine which table location in the MDR we had for flexible dining. Again, their system which I wish I could figure out. Once, when my son- who had a smaller room and fewer points- went up to the desk to present our party, he led with his S&S and our party was seated (actually squashed) into a table that was too small to accomodate us. Whenever we led with our card, we were seated at a large round with an aft view. Coincidence maybe- but I don't think so. But I would almost be afraid to start a "What cabin where you in when you were seated by the window?" thread, because my Zone 1 question was kind of a bust:D

The "cryptic" message that the OP was trying to get across? Really? And you talk about how you are not rude?

Perhaps those staff members should not have been sharing that info then?

I am sure lots of business people here have secrets about whatever, but they have enough respect for the company not to share those details.

If the crew does share that info then they should be reprimanded.

I don't go on vacation to make friends, I do it to get away from them :)

I would never bother mentioning that I'm a CC member. This reminds me of those who go into a restaurant and say they're a "Yelper" (a site I detest by the way).

Also, this site probably accounts for no more than 1% of cruisers out there, especially on the boards. There will be those who will just visit here to get information or read reviews and will never register for the forums. For those who do such I'll grant greater than 1%, but the forum members, no.

For example, it's no secret that often a ship will make a "Williamson" turn in a man overboard situation. This will put them right back around where the person should be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_overboard_rescue_turn

I recall landing at FLL last month on Continented (United). I noted the pattern the pilot flew to the runway (not common for ATC to have you do that), and upon landing something felt a bit strange, something I have felt when piloting an aircraft too.

Upon taxiing in to the gate I noted the wind sock (gives us the direction of the wind) and it confirmed my suspicion.

As I exited the aircraft the captain was standing there, and I said "that was some nice VFR pattern work, captain; downwind, base and final". He was a little surprised, and then he chuckled and said "oh yeah". I then asked, "did we land with a bit of a tail wind?" He said, "yes, we actually did, good catch!". I told him "I'm a Cessna 210 driver, nice flying, thanks a lot, take care!" Of course, that's one pilot to another. I never told him "I'm an AOPA member", what's the point of that? I just told him why I knew it. Heck, you can AOPA and not even be an aviator!

Right there with you. My husband laughs that I keep our cabin clean yet have clothes all over our bedroom at home. I tell him we just need to cruise more!

My wife and I are the same way. When we want new/fresh towels, don't just dump them on the floor, we fold them. A little bit of common courtesy goes a long way.

You folks talk like you would only do these things on a cruise. Do you not treat all people this way? I don't change how I behave because I am on a cruise.

And the obsession with making new bff's with the crew baffles me. I mean I am nice and kind to everyone, but I feel no desire to learn their life story.

I would also think that a fair portion of what they tell people is designed to maximize the tips they get.

It's all about respect. And I always post the same way I would talk in real life. That's why I use my real name on here (and on other message boards). I don't hide my comments behind a fake name. (And before anyone gets their nose out of joint, I understand why some people prefer to use a pseudonym, it's just my preference.)

And speaking of which....

We did this too. One reason was so the room stewards wouldn't have to deal with all of our junk. The other reason was because the rooms are so small we had no choice! It was quite pleasant to be tidy for a few days :D

And that is an awesome name RedBedHead! :D

Well I don't bring them on vacation with me. Just me the wife and kids and a lot of relaxing.

I have like 7 close friends and I have no desire to add more to the list. They enrich my life in so many ways and I am content as is.

I am kind to all those I meet and do my best to treat others with respect but I don't feel the need to socialize with the crew on a ship.

For example, it's no secret that often a ship will make a "Williamson" turn in a man overboard situation. This will put them right back around where the person should be...

...As I exited the aircraft the captain was standing there, and I said "that was some nice VFR pattern work, captain; downwind, base and final". He was a little surprised, and then he chuckled and said "oh yeah". I then asked, "did we land with a bit of a tail wind?" He said, "yes, we actually did, good catch!". I told him "I'm a Cessna 210 driver, nice flying, thanks a lot, take care!" Of course, that's one pilot to another. I never told him "I'm an AOPA member", what's the point of that? I just told him why I knew it. Heck, you can AOPA and not even be an aviator!

Lou- thanks for the feedback. I was not interested in the name of the maneuver required to pick the man up, but rather the fuel involved in such a rescue, and it's approximate cost. I received my answer.

As to identifying oneself as a CC member, that was as a matter of course in the conversation. And while you may not talk about being an AOPA member elsewhere, you show no reticence identifying yourself as such here. I really don't see a heck of a lot of difference. Just my opinion.

Who is being rude here other than you? Cryptic is rude? :confused:

I simply didn't understand what it was that you were trying to convey in the original post. That you had a secret decoder ring so that you knew why the ship had turned around but that no one was supposed to talk about it, unless they did so with a nod, wink, and glint it their eye?

People talk to crew/staff and get in trouble? Or get in trouble for repeating those conversations here? Why? What possible top secret information could be reported on Cruise Critic that would get someone in trouble? And if it truly is something that isn't supposed to be discussed with passengers, perhaps the person who violated that trust should get in trouble!

If work issues are supposed to be confidential, then they should remain confidential.

And I'm not your pal and suspect I probably wouldn't want to be if this is how you respond to a simple post.

Sheesh. Hopefully that large chip on your shoulder will fall overboard next time you sail! ;)

I'm always nice wherever I go. I say please, and thank you, and the obligatory "Hello! How are you?" as I pass. I always try to remember to smile (I have a serious set face, and if I don't smile I look mean and uninviting.)

I think that when I'm on JH's blog or facebook I remain civil (Although I have a wicked sense of sarcasm, I try to remember it doesn't convey well in text.)

The way one would go about changing a poor reputation is by publically proving that reputation wrong. So if the OP wants to identify herself as a CC member and make it a positive experience, more power too her!

If I ever actually buy some CC swag, I'd probably wear it on the cruise, and I don't mind telling people where I researched the cruise (for a year beforehand) because I honestly don't give a flying flip what anyone thinks about me. I'm polite and nice because I like to be, not because I want others to like me. If they want to treat me poorly based on a lanyard or a polo, that's their problem and how sad for them.

PS, I try to keep my cabin clean also, I found myself "tidying up" before I left! My bedroom at home is a MESS.

Well good for you, Dave. I was sure that someone as charming as yourself would have a least a few people who were hap... I mean sorry to see you go.

I don't recall being rude to you so I am unsure why you feel the need to personally attack me. I am charming enough to have married a wonderful woman, have 3 amazing kids and friends who I would gladly drop everything to help without question. Every year I help hundreds of people achieve their fitness goals and realize how special they are and all they can do.

Forgive me for going on a ship and not trying to make new friends with the cabin steward.

I don't recall being rude to you so I am unsure why you feel the need to personally attack me. I am charming enough to have married a wonderful woman, have 3 amazing kids and friends who I would gladly drop everything to help without question. Every year I help hundreds of people achieve their fitness goals and realize how special they are and all they can do.

Forgive me for going on a ship and not trying to make new friends with the cabin steward.

I'm sure you're a wonderful guy Dave, and I'm sorry that you got upset.

Archived