walking in dubrovnik

jayro

We arrived in Dubrovnik all gung ho to walk the wall but were put off by the steep set of steps involved with climbing to the top. We were told that walking the wall involved between six and seven hundred stair steps in total. We decided that we were too far from home to be pushing our luck and reluctantly abandoned plans to walk the wall.

We decided to walk around town and found that to be very rewarding.

We arrived in Dubrovnik all gung ho to walk the wall but were put off by the steep set of steps involved with climbing to the top. We were told that walking the wall involved between six and seven hundred stair steps in total. We decided that we were too far from home to be pushing our luck and reluctantly abandoned plans to walk the wall.

All true and in addition there is no place to get relief from the sun which can make the wall walk very very hot.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for your honest assessment of the wall walk, as it was our plan to do the wall walk, but 600-700 steps is more than my knees will handle. I was wondering if on your journeys, you visited the Acropolis in Athens? I am looking forward to that but am unsure of the hike up to the top. If you or anyone else can give me feedback, I'd appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...

I was very concerned about the hike to the Acropolis. But . . I was pleasantly surprised to discover that it was not as bad as I expected. As long as you take your time and rest if you feel tired, you will easily make it and will be glad that you did.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for your honest assessment of the wall walk, as it was our plan to do the wall walk, but 600-700 steps is more than my knees will handle. I was wondering if on your journeys, you visited the Acropolis in Athens? I am looking forward to that but am unsure of the hike up to the top. If you or anyone else can give me feedback, I'd appreciate it.

Each time we were there, there was also always a line to buy your ticket....and the ticket price is quite high. So we decided we were on vacation and did not do it. Dubrovnik has a lot more things to offer anyway.

• 6 months later...

We have 'walked the wall' in Dubrovnik and it was spectacular. However, there are a lot of steps, some very steep. My husband is not good with heights and was quite shocked at how exposed some of the steps are, so if you suffer from vertigo don't do it! Also agree there is very little shade, it was extremely hot and humid the day we did it - quite uncomfortable and would suggest at least a battery-operated fan carried on a lanyard.

We've done the Acropolis, again in very hot conditions although there is more shade on the way up. You can also take your time with this and depending on your personal fitness levels you may find it manageable. Hope this helps.

Walking the wall was quite a memorable experience, IMHO. For some reason I did not find it too difficult if you do not attempt to go up to the towers. We were able to walk and then rest a little and it was quite pleasant, probably we were there on a cloudy day. I thought hiking up Acropolis was a little harder.

http://chiumemories.blogspot.com/2012/08/dubrovnik-croatia.html

• 3 weeks later...
It could be very hot ..

That's an under-statement. We were in Dubrovnik in September, and it was miserably hot. We did not walk the wall, as we tried to stay in the shaded areas as much as possible.

We found a lovely little Christmas shop there - and the owner (who also made some of the ornaments) is married to a senior officer with Disney Cruise Lines. When we sailed with Disney on the FANTASY last year, we met the Captain in the concierge lounge, and he said he knew the officer and had shopped there himself several times!

• 1 month later...
Walking the wall was quite a memorable experience, IMHO. For some reason I did not find it too difficult if you do not attempt to go up to the towers. We were able to walk and then rest a little and it was quite pleasant, probably we were there on a cloudy day. I thought hiking up Acropolis was a little harder.

http://chiumemories.blogspot.com/2012/08/dubrovnik-croatia.html

Agree with the first part of this. My husband is 66 and has COPD but managed to walk the walls.He didn't do any of the towers but enjoyed the shade at the bottom of them. The wall is very exposed to the sun, but we just did it in our own time and didn't rush. We've actually done it twice as we think the views are amazing. We think it gives you the best views of how Dubrovnik has been rebuilt since the troubles.

On the other hand he had no trouble at all at the Acropolis. We took a taxi from the ship to the car park and there are trees on the path up where you can get some shade then we just walked around the site resting as and when we needed to.... and drank a lot of water. It was also cool in the toilets - LOL!

• 1 month later...

We just got back from Dubrovnik and not only walked the wall but walked from the ship. We are almost 60 and 62 and in decent shape but both have bad knees. We took our time, enjoyed the walk up and back as well as the sites from the wall. We figured it was about 4-5 miles round trip. It was a great work out!!

We just got back from Dubrovnik and not only walked the wall but walked from the ship. We are almost 60 and 62 and in decent shape but both have bad knees. We took our time, enjoyed the walk up and back as well as the sites from the wall. We figured it was about 4-5 miles round trip. It was a great work out!!

There you go, the walk from the ship must be a few miles. The worst part of the wall is the steps but if you are in reasonable shape it is very doable.

We recently walked around the walls. I am 62 & fit but my 64 year old hubby is less in shape. We took it slowly for him & rested in between. Although I am used to the heat it is fairly exposed. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Some other cruisers went for a boat ride around the coast which they enjoyed.

RE Athens: It was a bit of a strenuous walk up the hill to the Parthenon. I was with a tour so had to keep up. Once there, not too bad EXCEPT there is natural marble everywhere coming up out of the ground and it's as slick as snot. You have to stop to take a picture so you can watch the ground when

Dubrovnik: Take a look at the stairs and THEN decide. Don't let anyone get you away from the pipe bannister up or down. There are places to rest all along the wall walk. Pictures from up there are wonderful. Take an umbrella or hat for the sun. When we were walking, it started to rain. The stones are very slick then, too. There are two places to exit the wall before the end, each at 1/3 and 2/3 of the way. We opted to get out at the 2/3 mark when it started raining. If we hadn't we would have been in the rain until the very end. Shops in Dubrovnik are very interesting and don't feel cheated if you feel you cannot do the wall--not everyone can.

If you decide to walk the wall, you must pay Kuna for it. Take 10 Euros to the money exchange (just past the fountain) and they will give you the Kuna for it. Turn around and take the Kuna to the ticket office and they will sell you the ticket. Come out and turn to your left and you are facing the stairs up where they take your ticket.

• 3 weeks later...

We have walked both, though lucky to have mild, beautiful weather for both. Walked the wall at age 67, with two artificial knees! Worth the effort. Take your time and rethink if it is hot or rainy. If you go, you will not regret it.

Marseydotes

• 3 weeks later...

I walked to the Accrop, without any problems, you can prepurchase your tickets on line before going, and save money + you are then paying in local currency on your credit card. I ended a cruise there =- took the ship city tour that gave you a brief stop at a lot of locations, then ened at the hotel - next day I went around on my own. Take a bottle of cold water with you, If you buy the "city" package - make sure to see the new museum - it is fantastic.

In Dubrov - I just walked around the city - found a very small very interesting church, and lots of different shops, I enjoyed that more-people were very nice, and most spoke English.

Archived