Oversold...Hal wants me to share room..

m-of-connor

It was my understanding that part of using Interline was that you are not to publicly discuss what rates you pay. Is that no longer the case? My TA days were short but sweet and many years ago.

You are right in a sense, i usely don't mention publicly the price i pay for my air travel, but its no big secret that TA, Airlines employee etc... have reduce price with some restrictions, but my point was to mention that my understanding was that with that special price on a cruise you were not travelling on "stand by"...otherwise i would never book a cruise on that condition, it's not like being bumped on a flight and wait a few hours to catch another one.

Seriously?

Do you realize that in many portions of the world many families share one bathroom? Their whole lives. Sometimes it is down the hall in their tenement, sometimes an outhouse, sometimes a hole in a ground. For ancestors of some members on this board in their first trans-Atlantic voyage did not have any bathroom in the hold of the ship. Let’s keep things in perspective.

The horrors of sharing a bathroom with other family members? That is a typical First World problem.

tumblr.jpg

tumblr_lpomggEKAJ1qz5tgbo1_1280.jpg

I have read the entire thread and I am still perplexed by this post.

Is there a belief that most of us have never heard of sharing bathrooms, or traveling transatlantic in a wooden ship under arduous circumstances? Is this somehow supposed to be related to what we seek in our current modern day vacations?

For the record, I do yearly humanitarian aid trips where I often share a dorm room with 5 or 6 participants I just met at the airport, sometimes with a bathroom down the hall, and sometimes with a bathroom that is a hole in the ground, BYOTP (bring your own toilet paper).

If the OP booked an "Interline rate" with contractual provisions that allowed some last minute changes including the possibility of doubling up, OK, a decision was mutually agreed upon that low price = some risk.

But I am sailing solo in a verandah cabin next week on Ryndam. Should I be worried about a phone call tomorrow saying they are adding another person or persons to my cabin in exchange for a few hundred $$ OBC?

It troubles me that 2 weeks prior to sailing HAL was willing to sell two cabins at low Interline rates, and then a few days later, discover a math error. Posters here indicate this is not unique, and maybe I am guilty for not wanting to "share" in order to help HAL correct their mistake in arithmetic.

I'm crossing my fingers, touching red, looking for that four leaf clover! This is my vacation, not a mission trip!

The sad part of that is that it's clear some people have not read the entire thread, and don't know the rest of the story. They don't realize that OP was booked as a stand-by, and HAL was doing them a favor by attempting to get them on the ship at all.

Now, they are likely to believe, and post about it so that others may believe, that if you book two cabins, HAL just might come and force you to move everyone in to one.

I saw reduced rate.

Was this a "stand-by" rate? Didn't know they had them.

The sad part of that is that it's clear some people have not read the entire thread, and don't know the rest of the story. They don't realize that OP was booked as a stand-by, and HAL was doing them a favor by attempting to get them on the ship at all.

Now, they are likely to believe, and post about it so that others may believe, that if you book two cabins, HAL just might come and force you to move everyone in to one.

Apparently you didn't read.................A guarantee is not a stand by and they had received their cabins. A guarantee means you are guaranteed the cabins you have booked. Plural, cabinsssssssssssssssss

Apparently you didn't read.................A guarantee is not a stand by and they had received their cabins. A guarantee means you are guaranteed the cabins you have booked. Plural, cabinsssssssssssssssss

Please take another look at posts 79 and 92 where OP stated these cabins were booked as Interline rate- explained as a deeply discounted rate for members of the industry. OP therefore had the risk of not sailing ( explained as like when she flies standby with her airline/employer).

And THAT is the context that makes all the difference.

Please take another look at posts 79 and 92 where OP stated these cabins were booked as Interline rate- explained as a deeply discounted rate for members of the industry. OP therefore had the risk of not sailing ( explained as like when she flies standby with her airline/employer).

And THAT is the context that makes all the difference.

OP never mentionned that this discounted rate entitled her as a stand by cruiser only.

I have read the entire thread and I am still perplexed by this post.

Is there a belief that most of us have never heard of sharing bathrooms, or traveling transatlantic in a wooden ship under arduous circumstances? Is this somehow supposed to be related to what we seek in our current modern day vacations?

For the record, I do yearly humanitarian aid trips where I often share a dorm room with 5 or 6 participants I just met at the airport, sometimes with a bathroom down the hall, and sometimes with a bathroom that is a hole in the ground, BYOTP (bring your own toilet paper).

If the OP booked an "Interline rate" with contractual provisions that allowed some last minute changes including the possibility of doubling up, OK, a decision was mutually agreed upon that low price = some risk.

But I am sailing solo in a verandah cabin next week on Ryndam. Should I be worried about a phone call tomorrow saying they are adding another person or persons to my cabin in exchange for a few hundred $$ OBC?

It troubles me that 2 weeks prior to sailing HAL was willing to sell two cabins at low Interline rates, and then a few days later, discover a math error. Posters here indicate this is not unique, and maybe I am guilty for not wanting to "share" in order to help HAL correct their mistake in arithmetic.

I'm crossing my fingers, touching red, looking for that four leaf clover! This is my vacation, not a mission trip!

No, that won't happen. In this case, and in one that popped up in the last few months, people in two cabins that were booked together or linked in some way were asked to share one cabin. HAL hopes that family members will be willing to share in return for some OBC.

If your booking isn't linked to anyone else's, you'll be fine. They won't add a stranger to your cabin.

Edited to add: Touching red?? I've never heard that one. We always say "touch wood" or "knock on wood."

I agree that two weeks out, HAL should have a clearer "head count" to avoid these kinds of scrambles.

OP never mentionned that this discounted rate entitled her as a stand by cruiser only.

It was a long way into the thread when OP finally got around to mentioning that the booking was an interline rate. That makes a huge difference. Interline passengers are only assigned last-minute so the cabin can be sold at a higher, non-interline, rate.

Apparently you didn't read.................A guarantee is not a stand by and they had received their cabins.

Not only did I read, I comprehended. OP didn't have a guarantee---OP had an interline rate.

It was a long way into the thread when OP finally got around to mentioning that the booking was an interline rate. That makes a huge difference. Interline passengers are only assigned last-minute so the cabin can be sold at a higher, non-interline, rate.

How do you know that Interline rates "are only assigned last-minute" ???

I'm in the process of booking at Interline rate, a cruise for February 2013,

We booked the Interline rate in June for our cruise on Sunday. Our documents stated that we were booked a guaranteed inside cabin. We received our cabin assignment 2 weeks ago. We did receive a call asking if we would take an OV on the next sailing instead because they had overbooked. Never once did they say that we were stand-by or that we could be bumped.

The interline rates for cruises can be found on a few different web sites, you just need to sign up to see the fares. I signed up with no credentials since my BF is the one who is entitled to book the interline rate not me. So if anyone was curious, they could easily find the fares.

I think you need to go back a few posts and read the whole story of this booking. Yes' date=' if she had paid the "advertised rate" for 2 cabins everyone agrees with you. That is what we all thought, too. However, in her most recent post OP finally explained that she had paid a special and VERY discounted rate for airline employees, called the Interline rate. It is more or less like having a standby reservation and these bookings will often be cancelled or changed by the cruiseline. OP never explained this initially and everyone had thought she had paid an advertised rate like we all do. It helps to read the thread.[/quote']

We have booked the interline rate with Carnival many times and have never heard of anyone being "stand-by". The booking is honored. This is our 1st time booking with HAL and it is somewhat disturbing to think this could happen to us when we get to the pier on Sunday.

I understand that the cruise lines give a steep discount with the interline rates, but when you fly stand-by, you know the deal. We have been given a cabin assignment, so if what I have read is correct I can be told "Sorry there is no room at the inn" on Sunday?

I understand that the cruise lines give a steep discount with the interline rates, but when you fly stand-by, you know the deal. We have been given a cabin assignment, so if what I have read is correct I can be told "Sorry there is no room at the inn" on Sunday?

No, it won't happen that close to sailing.

When one flies stand-by, they don't know if they will be on the plane until they board the plane. When they cruise interline, they know in advance, as the manifest is closed sooner.

No, it won't happen that close to sailing.

When one flies stand-by, they don't know if they will be on the plane until they board the plane. When they cruise interline, they know in advance, as the manifest is closed sooner.

Thanks for the clarification! It eases my mind. At this point, if we get to the pier on Sunday and they bump us, it would be upsetting but we would find something else to do with the time.

We just received an email from HAL offering a full refund of fare and an upgrade to an oceanview if we switch to a different sail date, one the same itinerary and the other 2 were Boston to Montreal or Montreal to Boston. It's a great offer, but we can't switch to a different sailing.

I used to be an airline employee many, many moons ago and did interline travel. The bottom line is - it depends upon the interline rules re: cruise bumping, etc. If the rules reflect you may be bumped, required to take different cabin, etc. - then that's the rule. I know rules exist - I just don't know what they are. It's not about HAL being fair or the OP being "forced" to do anything, it's about the interline rules in place when she booked.

I used to be an airline employee many, many moons ago and did interline travel. The bottom line is - it depends upon the interline rules re: cruise bumping, etc. If the rules reflect you may be bumped, required to take different cabin, etc. - then that's the rule. I know rules exist - I just don't know what they are. It's not about HAL being fair or the OP being "forced" to do anything, it's about the interline rules in place when she booked.

Since i am in the process of booking a cruise at interline fare and after reading this thread i call back the interline agent who confirm that in no way the booking

is on a stand-by status...and she referred me to a site were all the cruise lines mention who are eligible and list the restrictions that applies and nowhere there is a mention of STAND-BY

I don't remember which message board this was on, but I read this somewhere on Cruise Critic last year. A gentleman was doing a SA/Anarctic Cruise. He was very active on his Roll Call, setting up independent tours, independent transfers, organizing the Meet & Greet, etc. About a week before the cruise started, HAL bumped him from the cruise. There were a lot of protests that HAL couldn't do this, but it ended up that they could because he was booked using an Interline Rate. The folks on his cruise were scrambling tryintrying to get volunteers to handle the independent tours, etc. because a lot of the people were already in transit when he made the announcement. That is the first time I heard about Interline Rates and the various rules.

Since i am in the process of booking a cruise at interline fare and after reading this thread i call back the interline agent who confirm that in no way the booking

is on a stand-by status...and she referred me to a site were all the cruise lines mention who are eligible and list the restrictions that applies and nowhere there is a mention of STAND-BY

First of all this was not standby it was confirmed..This has nothing to do with Standby's...

However even though the Interline Agent said to read the rules, he/she does not know your carriers rules & agreements with other airline carriers &/or cruise lines..

I too am retired from the International Airline business & know that if Psgrs have to be bumped for over booking problems, the first ones to go are Airline Employees & their Families on Interline Rates even if they were previously confirmed, followed by Travel Agents who are also on Discounted fares..No Carrier wants to bump Psgrs, but occasionally it happens & they have every right to BUMP discounted fares..That is in every Airlines & Cruise Lines Interline Agreements with the other carriers..And the line which is doing the Bumping is not required to give compensation to anyone on a discounted fare, whether previously confirmed or on a standby basis..

If you don't believe me, check this out with YOUR Carriers Interline or Personnel Dept. or if you are a family member of the person entitled to the Interline rate, ask them to call their Personnel Dept. for the rules their Company publishes, which have nothing to do with the Interline Agent you are booking with..

As I stated it is rare that a carrier will have to bump a Psgr. but it does occasionally happen..I know because I was in Management & often had confirmed space when on Business..Even then I was bumped from several confirmed reservations..Many of my Employees & I have spent hours & sometimes days in Foreign & Domestic Airports..

When DH & I first cruised I was on an Interline Rate & confirmed...However I understood that if the cruise line was overbooked, I would be the first one to be bumped.. That's a known factor about Interline Fares..

When I moved my Mother to Florida, I would not risk an interline fare, but paid full fare for both of us to travel..

IMO the OP was well taken care of for having an Interline Rate..

Cheers....:)Betty

Thank you Betty for the clarification.

For me, the rules with airlines are very clear this is why I always have a plan B or even C when travelling stand-by and I try to avoid peak period and even check the loads often before going to the airport. It is very clear in my mind that in the rare occasion that a cruise line would have to bump somebody, the ones that pay less would be the "lucky ones" to be left on the port.

I was not aware that cruise lines were overbooking, so I would not take a chance on a very popular destination to book Interline rate in order to save $100.00 and miss the boat.

Last november, I made a Transatlantic, out of Rome, and I bought a ticket instead of using my pass, the chance of reaching Rome were that I would have to leave 3 or 4 days in advance to be certain to make it.

You booked , paid and were assigned cabins, stand your ground. No they can't contractually just refund your money and cancel your cruise. Its a contract folks, they could cancel the whole cruise but thats not happenning here. Also it would be a public relations nitemare for them to take your room. They will work it out and deluxe suite should be your barganing chip. I'm an atty and I was talking to a friend of mine who is an atty with RCCL and I asked him and no, its a contract and they have to abide by it particularilly at this stage of the game and they will. They will try to talk you into a different situation but they can't just arbitrially just do what ever they want, they are held to the same contract as you are.:)

You booked , paid and were assigned cabins, stand your ground. No they can't contractually just refund your money and cancel your cruise. Its a contract folks, they could cancel the whole cruise but thats not happenning here. Also it would be a public relations nitemare for them to take your room. They will work it out and deluxe suite should be your barganing chip. I'm an atty and I was talking to a friend of mine who is an atty with RCCL and I asked him and no, its a contract and they have to abide by it particularilly at this stage of the game and they will. They will try to talk you into a different situation but they can't just arbitrially just do what ever they want, they are held to the same contract as you are.:)

Have you actually read the contract?

Have you actually read the contract?

Or have you read this thread at all? The OP was on a Discounted Interline Fare & her contract with the cruise line is completely different than those of the Full Fare paying Psgr.. Therefore, HAL can contractually bump her & refund the money..

As an atty you should know better than to comment before you know the whole story & are give the OP the wrong advice..If you do that in your practice, I think you might loose the case..:rolleyes:

Cheers...:)Betty

First of all this was not standby it was confirmed..This has nothing to do with Standby's...

However even though the Interline Agent said to read the rules, he/she does not know your carriers rules & agreements with other airline carriers &/or cruise lines..

I too am retired from the International Airline business & know that if Psgrs have to be bumped for over booking problems, the first ones to go are Airline Employees & their Families on Interline Rates even if they were previously confirmed, followed by Travel Agents who are also on Discounted fares..No Carrier wants to bump Psgrs, but occasionally it happens & they have every right to BUMP discounted fares..That is in every Airlines & Cruise Lines Interline Agreements with the other carriers..And the line which is doing the Bumping is not required to give compensation to anyone on a discounted fare, whether previously confirmed or on a standby basis..

If you don't believe me, check this out with YOUR Carriers Interline or Personnel Dept. or if you are a family member of the person entitled to the Interline rate, ask them to call their Personnel Dept. for the rules their Company publishes, which have nothing to do with the Interline Agent you are booking with..

As I stated it is rare that a carrier will have to bump a Psgr. but it does occasionally happen..I know because I was in Management & often had confirmed space when on Business..Even then I was bumped from several confirmed reservations..Many of my Employees & I have spent hours & sometimes days in Foreign & Domestic Airports..

When DH & I first cruised I was on an Interline Rate & confirmed...However I understood that if the cruise line was overbooked, I would be the first one to be bumped.. That's a known factor about Interline Fares..

When I moved my Mother to Florida, I would not risk an interline fare, but paid full fare for both of us to travel..

IMO the OP was well taken care of for having an Interline Rate..

Cheers....:)Betty

I am not aware of any standby cruise fares. I have only seen and booked confirmed interline fares. With the ships having to have their passenger lists a few days prior, I don't know how it would be possible to go standby the last minute like you are able to do on airlines. And I agree that on airlines, if you are traveling standby you may or may not get on a flight. It is even possible to be assigned a seat and then asked to leave the plane if the seat is needed by a non-interline passenger.

Archived