Oversold...Hal wants me to share room..

m-of-connor

I guess IRL Joannie and Peaches from Georgia have information about the OP from somewhere other than this thread. The OP said in her first post that she booked two inside guaranteed rooms (not adjacent). She also did not state there was an adult booked into each room with a minor child either in that post or in the one other post made on this thread. She did state she was assigned rooms in one post. but again said nothing about adjacent or adults in the room.

I still wonder if we have the full story on this booking.

From many many posts on these boards in the years I have been here parents have stated that children MUST be booked into a room with an adult and cannot be booked into a cabin by themselves. Hence my educated assumption that the OP must have been booked into a cabin with one child and her Mom booked into a cabin with the other child. Parents then often switch keys at the front desk after boarding and put the children in one room and adults in the other when the rooms are adjacent or across the hall, but the initial booking is made with an adult booked into each room per HAL's booking procedures.

I have no information about OP other than what has been posted by her on this forum. In another thread on the HAL board, "New to Holland America,sailing June 24" she posted that the cabins were "next to each other", or adjacent.

QUOTE:

----- New to Holland America, sailing June 24

Views: 619 Posted By m-of-connor

Thanks for the answers to my questions everyone. ...

Thanks for the answers to my questions everyone.

I just got our cabin assingments today. We are next to each other so we are thrilled. I just can't beleive that they were able to do that. ------

We made it to Seattle:D, or I should say that me And the kids are in the hotel but we are waiting on my mom. She got left behind in MSP. She gets in at 9:15

To answer some of the questions

No I am not worried about the air. I am a Flight Attendant we fly stand by, that is one reason that this was not an issue going from an Anchorage to B.C. Verses going to Seattle.

My mom and one child (10) in one cabin. Me and other son (12) in the other cabin, we booked guarantee.

I have all ways booked my cruise at the interline rate. It is a discounted rate similar to an residence rate. So Hal new that I worked for the airlines and which carrier. I do have to send in proof of employment.

This was a last minute vacay, I would never had changed itenaraies if this would have been booked months in advance and lots of planning.

You would have thought that Hal would have had a better way of keeping track of how full a ship is. The Hal rep did say that they do get CX all most all the time but you would think that with a sailing like the Statendamm going from one port to another and entering Canada ( have to have passport) that if people book this they are serious about going it is a big commentment$$$.

Now for the more pressing issue. How do I get from the Seattle airport to the pier. Which pier is Hal out of????

We are at a hotel right by the airport. Should we take a cab. Or take the metro into town and walk to pier (can you do this?)

Take a cab. The pier is kind of out of town. Check your boarding pass.

Thanks for coming back and giving us more info. Since you booked with an interline rate they would ask you first before someone paying a regular rate and as you said HAL knew you would not have a problem with the flight.

We made it to Seattle:D, or I should say that me And the kids are in the hotel but we are waiting on my mom. She got left behind in MSP. She gets in at 9:15

To answer some of the questions

No I am not worried about the air. I am a Flight Attendant we fly stand by, that is one reason that this was not an issue going from an Anchorage to B.C. Verses going to Seattle.

My mom and one child (10) in one cabin. Me and other son (12) in the other cabin, we booked guarantee.

I have all ways booked my cruise at the interline rate. It is a discounted rate similar to an residence rate. So Hal new that I worked for the airlines and which carrier. I do have to send in proof of employment.

This was a last minute vacay, I would never had changed itenaraies if this would have been booked months in advance and lots of planning.

You would have thought that Hal would have had a better way of keeping track of how full a ship is. The Hal rep did say that they do get CX all most all the time but you would think that with a sailing like the Statendamm going from one port to another and entering Canada ( have to have passport) that if people book this they are serious about going it is a big commentment$$$.

Now for the more pressing issue. How do I get from the Seattle airport to the pier. Which pier is Hal out of????

We are at a hotel right by the airport. Should we take a cab. Or take the metro into town and walk to pier (can you do this?)

Glad you made it to Seattle. :) The pier is no where close to Downtown. You will be going out of Pier 91 which is the Smith Cover Terminal out near the Magnolia area. Actually if you get yourself back to the airport in the morning you could grab one of the Limos that will take all of you for about $50.00 and it would hold all of your luggage.

You booking under Interline really explains a lot and actually I have heard of plenty that booked Interline with other cruise lines that have actually gotten to the pier and not been able to cruise. You are first to be kicked off the cruise because of your discounted rate and just given a refund. The same is true for Travel Agents that travel under a discounted rate which is why most travel agents never do that any longer. You kind of have to think of it the same as traveling stand by for air. I am sure you know that sometimes there are flights you cannot get on. Actually now looking at this HAL gave you really one heck of a deal!!!! You are going to be mighty impressed with having a Deluxe Vernadah Suite.

Enjoy your cruise, just my opinion you gt an amazing deal with a much better ship and great itinerary!!!

I, too, recommend the Limo idea (of course Lisa beat me to it:)). We did the Limo. It is so much less hassle than anything else and you certainly don't need any more hassles. Don't forget to get to the special embarkation line to start enjoying the Suite life..:D:D

BON VOYAGE!

Update.. Update

I had typed I huge what happened and I guess I had timed out and it did not get posted, so he goes short version

We will be sailing on the Westerdam on Saturday vs the Statendam on Sunday.

First Hal rep I talked to was nice and I knew we would come to an arrangement that satisfied both parties. Called back after my 2 hours and we found the Westerdam and 2 sailings in August. The Westerdam we would have to still share but larger room. Had to call and speak to my mom (my mom and 2 kids are going) when I called back the first rep I had talked to had left for the day:(. Have to inform new rep.(who has something stuck where the sun don't shine) what we were discussing and that I would like to have X amount in OBC if we take the Westerdam. She puts me on hold the phone hangs up Oh oH.. I call back and the office is now closed..AAAHHHHHH Is this what they do to unwanted/overbooked guest. She does call back but now I am in full panic mode. she tells me that she could not get X amount in OBC p.p. I blurt out not p.p. I just want that amount (negotiations 101: do not blurt out what you will take listen to what they will give you) She gives me an amount that was double what I asked for. O.k. Book me.

From the Stantendam inside L521 and L527 Anchorage to B.C.

Westerdam Deluxe Verandah Suite SA7--- Seattle R.T

We will have to share a room. I hope that we do not drive each other crazy. I feel good about the deal and we have some OBC. Time will only tell !!! Ask me in 10 days if this was a good deal or not. I just hope that the room is large enough for the 4 of us.

For those of you that posted a long the lines of 3rd world countries etc. I booked 2 rooms for a reason. I/we do not share a room with our kids when we cruise or that matter go on VACATION. That would not be a vacation. How do you have your time with your spouse:D? I never said who was going with me, just my kids. I still booked 2 rooms for a reason. Not sure if my mom will survive but we are all well traveled and flexible people. Not our first cruise and will not be our last. If this is how Hal does business I will know in the future to book my rooms with out linking them together. No calls about sharing a room.

In the end I was never ugly (she deserved it) used lots of humor and was willing to help them out if it was a benefit to me. I was aware that they could say "here is your money back have a nice day" so I played nice and we will see what the next 10 days brings us.

Off to finish packing and to check out what to do in Sitka.

Join a new roll call

It is really a shame what happened to you. It is not only that you did not get what you wanted, but the fact that they screwed up, and it was on you to get this mess straightened up. And you wasted all of that time straightening that out.

But it seems that it got resolved due to you working with them to resolve this problem. Congrats.

Look, overbookings happen. Anyone who flies understands that. Stuff happens. People screw up. Welcome to the real world. Yes, it is not unfortunate, but things happen.

“Stand your ground, no matter what”? Are you serious? This is the type of childish and self-centered attitude I would expect a teenager to have and not an experienced cruiser like yourself. What do you recommend that HAL does? Build another room on a deck?

I can tell you what they can do legally if push comes to shove: they can do exactly what any business, be it airlines, cruise lines, theater, restaurant, plumber, etc. can do: they can refund your money and show you the door. Legally, they can do that to you, me, or anyone else. Read your contracts.

Just exactly what do you see the resolution being? Sharing a room with own kids seems like a pretty reasonable thing to do. When I read the headline before clicking on it, I thought that he was asked by HAL to share a room with other passengers. He does not have to shake his room with the 72, 79, 80, and 82 year olds, does he?

Yes, it sucks for m-of-connor. My sympathies to him, and shame on HAL. But I am sure that if he takes an appropriate approach with HAL, that he’ll be able to swing a deal that is good for him. It depends on how good of a negotiator and how desperate HAL is. As an experienced cruiser, I am confident that he knows how to do this.

I see ...so everyone who agreed to stand up for what is right is childish and self centered. Well sir that makes you one of a kind....I will let someone else tell you what kind!:eek:

No, you do not see, Harris Jeffer. You quoted my entire post, but apparently did not understand my whole post. Sorry about that -- I should have been more clear.

The issue is not whether OP stands up for his rights. He should stand up for his rights. I even stated that he should take an appropriate action. See the my last paragraph which you quoted. And from more recent posts, the OP did stand up for his rights, and got some compensation. Whether this was sufficient or not is a matter of view point. It turned out as best as could be expected under such bad circumstances.

What I have a problem with is CtheW0rld’s proposed solution. That poster’s proposed solution to the to stand one’s ground, and insisting that it is HAL’s problem, not OP’s. That position to me seems unreasonable, because it is a untenable, and in many ways dangerous, position. If OP refuses to budge or even enter negotiation to get what the other party can’t realistically meet, then the other party will have to come up with a solution sans OP’s participation. HAL’s options may be very limited, and they may come up with a solution that may be much worse than if he did help them with their problem -- they can just “too bad, so sad, you are not sailing with us and here is most of your money back” (just read your contract).

No, you do not see, Harris Jeffer. You quoted my entire post, but apparently did not understand my whole post. Sorry about that -- I should have been more clear.

The issue is not whether OP stands up for his rights. He should stand up for his rights. I even stated that he should take an appropriate action. See the my last paragraph which you quoted. And from more recent posts, the OP did stand up for his rights, and got some compensation. Whether this was sufficient or not is a matter of view point. It turned out as best as could be expected under such bad circumstances.

What I have a problem with is CtheW0rld’s proposed solution. That poster’s proposed solution to the to stand one’s ground, and insisting that it is HAL’s problem, not OP’s. That position to me seems unreasonable, because it is a untenable, and in many ways dangerous, position. If OP refuses to budge or even enter negotiation to get what the other party can’t realistically meet, then the other party will have to come up with a solution sans OP’s participation. HAL’s options may be very limited, and they may come up with a solution that may be much worse than if he did help them with their problem -- they can just “too bad, so sad, you are not sailing with us and here is most of your money back” (just read your contract).

how long have you worked for hal (or is it another cruiseline)?

in no way is it anyone's fault except the cruiseline's when a cruise is oversold. period. end of story.

Bait and switch would also apply to the practice of switching to a lesser product (one room instead of two) at the last minute.

igraf

No, bait-and-switch is advertising something at a low price and then claiming that product is not available and attempting to sell the consumer a more expensive product.

No, bait-and-switch is advertising something at a low price and then claiming that product is not available and attempting to sell the consumer a more expensive product.

i agree. taking money for something and then not delivering it is closer to theft and fraud.

OP wrote:

Ah ha! We now have information that probably would have changed some folks opinions of this situation had it been divulged upfront by the OP. Seems like this highly discounted rate is like cruising in a 'standby mode'. I'll bet there are rules and regulations connected to this type of booking that are not subject to the standard method of booking either by a TA or a PCC. I'm sure that's why so many, including me, we very sympathetic and thinking poorly of HAL when in fact the OP probably knew that they were subject to something like this. While it still stinks, I'm not as sympathetic as I was when I first saw this post.

We know folks that work for HAL and have booked under their friends and family plan. It is extremely discounted but they have always told me they are aware they can get bumped if the ship gets filled at regular revenue rates. They understand that and are willing to accept the chance for the great rates they are offered.

By the way, if you are sailing today on the Westerdam you will have a great cruise and forget about all your stress over the shared room offer!

Have fun!

>SNIP<

As someone who has had HAL try something similar, I can assure you I stood my ground. We did not end up having to share a cabin. I was prepared to negotiate another solution, and suggested a couple, but sharing a cabin was a complete deal-breaker. HAL was only interested in finding 2 people prepared to share a cabin -- no other solution would work for them, according to the person who phoned me. I can only presume that they found someone willing to do that, or who was prepared to defer sailing, for the right compensation. (Certainly the compensation they offered me to go along with "share a BALCONY cabin" was not worth the inconvenience IMHO)

BTW, HAL contacted me as I was boarding the shuttle to the airport to catch my flight to our departure city, so they'd left it rather last-minute.

I will never again link my reservation with another person's.

We know folks that work for HAL and have booked under their friends and family plan. It is extremely discounted but they have always told me they are aware they can get bumped if the ship gets filled at regular revenue rates. They understand that and are willing to accept the chance for the great rates they are offered.

By the way, if you are sailing today on the Westerdam you will have a great cruise and forget about all your stress over the shared room offer!

Have fun!

We also know someone who booked under the friends and family plan. They were bumped too. Until I knew how they had booked, I was outraged. Apparently it all worked out for them, but they had already traveled to the embarkation port before finding out they had been bumped.

OP wrote: Ah ha! We now have information that probably would have changed some folks opinions of this situation had it been divulged upfront by the OP. Seems like this highly discounted rate is like cruising in a 'standby mode'. I'll bet there are rules and regulations connected to this type of booking that are not subject to the standard method of booking either by a TA or a PCC. I'm sure that's why so many, including me, we very sympathetic and thinking poorly of HAL when in fact the OP probably knew that they were subject to something like this. While it still stinks, I'm not as sympathetic as I was when I first saw this post.

We also know someone who booked under the friends and family plan. They were bumped too. Until I knew how they had booked, I was outraged. Apparently it all worked out for them, but they had already traveled to the embarkation port before finding out they had been bumped.

This is all very true and HAL could have easily told them "No cruise we are refunding your money" Interline is NOT booking the same as regular people purchasing a cruise. The offer they gave them is totally amazing based on the fact she paid Interline for an Inside cabin. She came out of this like a lottery winner. In my eyes HAL did absolutely NOTHING wrong and actually went above and beyound what could have happened.

Purchasing Interline is exactly the same as Friends and Family and Cruise Line employees and YES they can be bumped just like the OP can be bumped when flying.

Agreed. It would have been nice if the original poster mentioned this earlier on in this thread.

Has anybody been asked to double up who had paid a general public fare? Even a guaranteed cabin class fare?

igraf

....You booking under Interline really explains a lot and actually I have heard of plenty that booked Interline with other cruise lines that have actually gotten to the pier and not been able to cruise. You are first to be kicked off the cruise because of your discounted rate and just given a refund. ....

So it would seem that the interline rates are amazing ... and people taking advantage of the program understand some of the complications and inconveniences that could arise. I think it's fine that the OP and HAL came to some sort of agreement ... I just question whether asking for/getting OBC is even appropriate in this situation.

Funny ... had the OP been upfront about the interline program 3 pages ago, posts might have been a lot different and a lot less in the vein of HAL can't do that blah blah blah. Yeah, fulll disclosure upfront woulda skewed the comments.

As someone who has had HAL try something similar, I can assure you I stood my ground. We did not end up having to share a cabin. I was prepared to negotiate another solution, and suggested a couple, but sharing a cabin was a complete deal-breaker. HAL was only interested in finding 2 people prepared to share a cabin -- no other solution would work for them, according to the person who phoned me. I can only presume that they found someone willing to do that, or who was prepared to defer sailing, for the right compensation. (Certainly the compensation they offered me to go along with "share a BALCONY cabin" was not worth the inconvenience IMHO)

BTW, HAL contacted me as I was boarding the shuttle to the airport to catch my flight to our departure city, so they'd left it rather last-minute.

It's a good thing Lorekauf and I have decided to go with anytime dining on our NA cruise in Nov.. If we were linked up for fixed dining as we were on our last cruise, we might wind up being asked to put three in a cabin. Now wouldn't that be cosy. :p

Agreed. It would have been nice if the original poster mentioned this earlier on in this thread.

Has anybody been asked to double up who had paid a general public fare? Even a guaranteed cabin class fare?

igraf

Yes, I paid a regular fare, as did my travelling companion, and we booked about 8 months prior to sailing. See my post (#90) above.

The offer was to move us from TWO inside cabins to one balcony cabin with a bit of OBC.

It's a good thing Lorekauf and I have decided to go with anytime dining on our NA cruise in Nov.. If we were linked up for fixed dining as we were on our last cruise, we might wind up being asked to put three in a cabin. Now wouldn't that be cosy. :p

Well she might let you borrow some of her jewelry :D

That certainly is last-minute. I think HAL needs to do cabin assignments a bit earlier, since it seems they can't keep track of how many tickets they sell.

So it would seem that the interline rates are amazing ... and people taking advantage of the program understand some of the complications and inconveniences that could arise. I think it's fine that the OP and HAL came to some sort of agreement ... I just question whether asking for/getting OBC is even appropriate in this situation.

Funny ... had the OP been upfront about the interline program 3 pages ago, posts might have been a lot different and a lot less in the vein of HAL can't do that blah blah blah. Yeah, fulll disclosure upfront woulda skewed the comments.

I just read all of this from the beginning having no idea how it ended. OP initially saying only that she got a discounted rate a few days before the cruise and gaining so much sympathy and advice was unfair to the helpful posters on CC and to HAL. I wonder if that guy a month or so ago who ended up having to share with his mother or get bumped had the same kind of rate deal and failed to be totally upfront about it too.

Archived