Oversold...Hal wants me to share room..

m-of-connor

A full refund and a free future cruise would be suitable compensation. I wouldn't take anything less. There's always use of social and traditional media if passage is denied.

This statement exemplifies that which is truly wrong with this world.....:(

The rest of us, i.e., on the airline are simply keep waiting and delayed, that is why I felt I was being held hostage for 2 hours each direction on the Rome flight. They need to be held accountable for doing business this way. This no way to run an airline.

That airline was cheap. Name names (again). Involuntary Denied Boarding compensation in the U.S. hasn't been adjusted for years (and even when it was, was for domestic flights only). AA used to offer at least $1,000 travel voucher IDBs 15+ years ago!) but most U.S. airlines won't offer nearly that much now, and they don't want to offer that much even if it is not cash. E.U. IDB compensation for most TATL flights is €600.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

Your logic is flawed. If I don't show up for a cruise, HAL still keeps my money. Thus, there is no legitimate reason for HAL to overbook. I suspect what is happening is that there was a large private group who bumped individuals or small family groups.

Also, reneging on a deal at the last minute is called "bait and switch".

igraf

Fraud is defined as deceit, trickery; specifically : intentional perversion of truth in order to induce another to part with something of value or to surrender a legal right

That is not the intention when cruise lines or airlines or hotels or rental car companies overbook, which is something that most of them do regularly.

They do it because they know that they will typically get a number of cancellations or no shows. ...

Hi RevNeal! I haven't seen you in ages. We were just in a Deluxe Veranda (have you ever been in one?), but still don't feel it is big enough for 4 people so would not have taken the deal. But, it is a large jump from an inside.

My first thought was also the same as yours regarding mentioning other passengers ages. It would have been easy to run into them had the OP stayed on the same ship. I also want to know what happened with the air.

Hopefully at the minimum, the OBC covers the hotel charges for 4, at least $336.00. My bottom line on that would have been $500.00 OBC.

We would never have traded the Inside Passage (I assume) for a roundtrip from Seattle, plus have family in Anchorage. It's a huge difference in itinerary.

I'ven not been around much, so thanks for saying "hi." I've been inside several Deluxe Verandah Suites ... for drinks, conversation, etc. I've never booked in one. The highest accommodation I've ever had was in an SS on a Vista Ship. I agree that it would be on the crowded side ... though, in Alaska, the full use of that Verandah would be VERY nice and might make up the space-issues when it comes to day-time activities. It's certainly FAR SUPERIOR to 4 people in an Inside!

And, frankly, my biggest issue would be the itinerary change. Seattle RT would be acceptable IF it were the 14-day cruise on the Amsterdam (which I'm doing in September). :)

Also, reneging on a deal at the last minute is called "bait and switch".

No, bait-and-switch is advertising something at a low price and then claiming that product is not available and attempting to sell the consumer a more expensive product.

I have only have one question about the saga of being forced to share a room with one's children. How old are the children?

The cruise lines have rules about children in a room by themselves and the distance the room can be from the parent's cabin.

If these rules apply to the OP's children, and by booking two rooms at the last minute, HAL may have realized that the OP's booking could not have been honored as booked because of room location availability.

If that was the case, HAL went beyond what was required by offering a last minute quad.

Look, overbookings happen. Anyone who flies understands that. Stuff happens. People screw up. Welcome to the real world. Yes, it is not unfortunate, but things happen.

“Stand your ground, no matter what”? Are you serious? This is the type of childish and self-centered attitude I would expect a teenager to have and not an experienced cruiser like yourself. What do you recommend that HAL does? Build another room on a deck?

I can tell you what they can do legally if push comes to shove: they can do exactly what any business, be it airlines, cruise lines, theater, restaurant, plumber, etc. can do: they can refund your money and show you the door. Legally, they can do that to you, me, or anyone else. Read your contracts.

Just exactly what do you see the resolution being? Sharing a room with own kids seems like a pretty reasonable thing to do. When I read the headline before clicking on it, I thought that he was asked by HAL to share a room with other passengers. He does not have to shake his room with the 72, 79, 80, and 82 year olds, does he?

Yes, it sucks for m-of-connor. My sympathies to him, and shame on HAL. But I am sure that if he takes an appropriate approach with HAL, that he’ll be able to swing a deal that is good for him. It depends on how good of a negotiator and how desperate HAL is. As an experienced cruiser, I am confident that he knows how to do this.

I have to say I agree with you pdm to an extent. I feel that what HAL is horrible, no argument there. But screw ups happen, and the thought of sharing my room with my children doesn't sound that bad really. Honestly I would feel a little bad forcing 4 70/80something year olds to sleep on an upper bunk (if HAL is telling the truth). On vacation I don't get "time" (wink wink) with my spouse unless the kids are int he kids program. My stance on this would be:

"How horrible that the other group are senior citizens. They really should have the extra room. That was irresponsible of HAL and a major mistake. Now what will you do FOR ME to make it worth my while to share since I paid for 2 rooms too?"

See what they say. A free cruise for one child? A major discount? A penthouse or suite, an OBC, free dining in Pinnacle? What's your price... everybody has a price.

I just edited this because I wish this was me. If I had the extra room I'd let the older folks have it and HAL can give me a good deal. I'm open to bargaining. LOL I am happy the OP got a verandah suite. That is a great upgrade!

I have to say I agree with you pdm to an extent. I feel that what HAL is horrible, no argument there. But screw ups happen, and the thought of sharing my room with my children doesn't sound that bad really. Honestly I would feel a little bad forcing 4 70/80something year olds to sleep on an upper bunk (if HAL is telling the truth). On vacation I don't get "time" (wink wink) with my spouse unless the kids are int he kids program. My stance on this would be:

"How horrible that the other group are senior citizens. They really should have the extra room. That was irresponsible of HAL and a major mistake. Now what will you do FOR ME to make it worth my while to share since I paid for 2 rooms too?"

See what they say. A free cruise for one child? A major discount? A penthouse or suite, an OBC, free dining in Pinnacle? What's your price... everybody has a price.

I just edited this because I wish this was me. If I had the extra room I'd let the older folks have it and HAL can give me a good deal. I'm open to bargaining. LOL I am happy the OP got a verandah suite. That is a great upgrade!

I must disagree with the statement that everyone has a price because I don't. They could offer me a free cruise to put four in a cabin and I would turn it down with my husband's blessing. Neither of us would consider that situation to be any kind of a vacation. I only want what I have paid for.

The argument about being kind to older folks would not work with me because my husband is 81 and I would be more concerned about being kind to him.

Just to add my two cents, cruising is for couples. We have cruised several times with other couples, but we each book our own arrangements.

Even at our age, we still enjoy and jealously guard our privacy and make every effort not to intrude on anyone else. That still leaves us with about twelve hours a day to interact with our ship mates. The combination allows us to enjoy the best of all worlds.

.... They could offer me a free cruise to put four in a cabin and I would turn it down with my husband's blessing. Neither of us would consider that situation to be any kind of a vacation. I only want what I have paid for.
I agree with you and would also turn it down because that is not my idea of a vacation either.

But since HAL has found that some passengers are willing to accept it, they figure it is worth the try in hopes that they may find others who will agree to accept it also.

Your logic is flawed. If I don't show up for a cruise, HAL still keeps my money. Thus, there is no legitimate reason for HAL to overbook.
Oh, but HAL most certainly does have a legitimate reason to overbook. The fact that you would make such an erroneous statement implies that you have no experience with yield management in the travel industry.

Overbooking is common practice, on other cruise lines as well as HAL. When handled correctly, it results in a win-win situation for all parties involved and no complaints.

I must disagree with the statement that everyone has a price because I don't. They could offer me a free cruise to put four in a cabin and I would turn it down with my husband's blessing. Neither of us would consider that situation to be any kind of a vacation. I only want what I have paid for.

The argument about being kind to older folks would not work with me because my husband is 81 and I would be more concerned about being kind to him.

I'm with you Sapper. There is no way that I would give in and let HAL do this to me. We have sailed in an SA with three of us, but that is our own choice and because of a special needs person that cannot be left alone. Let HAL make someone an offer they cannot refuse--like refund their money and put them on another cruise free of charge.

Terri

I have only have one question about the saga of being forced to share a room with one's children. How old are the children?

The cruise lines have rules about children in a room by themselves and the distance the room can be from the parent's cabin.

If these rules apply to the OP's children, and by booking two rooms at the last minute, HAL may have realized that the OP's booking could not have been honored as booked because of room location availability.

If that was the case, HAL went beyond what was required by offering a last minute quad.

Don't know how old the children are, but OP said they had adjacent rooms. You can't book minor children into their own rooms alone, but since she was traveling with her mother they would have had to book her in one room and her mother in the other cabin, each with one child or the booking never would have been able to have been made and it was done and they had been assigned 2 cabins. The fact children were involved doesn't seem to have had anything to do with them being moved to a quad together. HAL just overbooked and needed another cabin to free up.

didn't this happen not too long ago?

Somebody was travelling with his/her mother, booked two cabins and got "forced' into one cabin, also a last minute kind of thing with "threats' and all? Something like that? I remember the discussion in that thread, about sharing a cabin (or not) when you actually booked 2.

Not pretty.

I remember that but don't recall the outcome.

2 younger children (I believe non teens) the Op and her mother.

One adult booked into each room so.... No violation by the Op there:)

The last time I read about similar was in May this year and it was an adult male and his definitely adult mother who booked as 2 solos in 2 separate staterooms.

EDITED TO ADD: IF HAL tried to do this to me there would be a major WAR!!! I Love my daughter and greandaughter and dearly love my Son In Law, but aint no way no how am I gonna share a stateroom or even a hotel room with any one of them. I have my foibles and they have theirs. I aint sharing!! I would also like to add that those of you who know me, know there is no way I'd give up my stateroom for anything else!!! And ya knows my reasons:) :)

Joanie

I remember that but don't recall the outcome.

I, too, remember that scenario but don't recall the outcome either. Seems to me that "the early bird gets the worm". If someone books a room(s) while they're available, I don't see how HAL can force them to change. Doesn't sound right.

I guess IRL Joannie and Peaches from Georgia have information about the OP from somewhere other than this thread. The OP said in her first post that she booked two inside guaranteed rooms (not adjacent). She also did not state there was an adult booked into each room with a minor child either in that post or in the one other post made on this thread. She did state she was assigned rooms in one post. but again said nothing about adjacent or adults in the room.

I still wonder if we have the full story on this booking.

I guess IRL Joannie and Peaches from Georgia have information about the OP from somewhere other than this thread. The OP said in her first post that she booked two inside guaranteed rooms (not adjacent). She also did not state there was an adult booked into each room with a minor child either in that post or in the one other post made on this thread. She did state she was assigned rooms in one post. but again said nothing about adjacent or adults in the room.

I agree with you, I feel we do not. I run into the scenarios frequently. While HAL might be persistant they will make an offer, if it gets to the point they are calling you personally rather than just sending an email ( my guess an email had gone out prior) then HAL is getting desperate. The offers are normally pretty darn good when it gets to this point.

Often people do not hear or comprehend everything being told to them. They may have only heard we need to move the four of you into one cabin..blah, blah, blah, blah, blah blah, blah... but we can also move you to this date or ....... But the mind blocks things when we get shocked and are still comprehending the first few words of "we need to move you" Also the Statedam has very limited number of Suites so an option to a Suite probably was not possible. Just my guess they were offering to refund one cabin 100% and give them Ship Board credit to go to most likely one of the large category J cabins. She did not say but they had one of the M or L cabins or what Inside they had. I have seen recent offers of this exact same scenario and this is what the offer is.

Trust me this happens with Princess all the time and sometimes on RCI, NCL and Celebrity.The one that it rarely happens on is Carnival. With all cruise lines that sell guarantees this can happened with because they gamble with a percentages of the fact that there will be cancellations. Usually they are pretty good and the percentages do work but occaisionally they do not.

Because the OP does not seem to be concerned about AIR or even mentioning it, with the Statedam a flight in or out of Anchorage has to be involved, my guess they got air from HAL. HAL has been offering some great prices for air for these one way type of flights. If HAL also did the Air then they would easily change this for them. Personally going to the Deluxe Suite and SBC sounds like it was a Win Win for both. It also makes it easier for HAL to go to those that purchased Air with them because at this late date no one would be able to make air changes and everyone sailing on the Statedam had Air ;)

Lisa, that was very informative! I am curious about one thing - you said this type of thing does happen on Princess, Celebrity etc but rarely on Carnival. Why is that? Do the cancellation percentages differ from line to line? Am just curious as to why some lines get it right and others overbook, although hopefully it doesn't happen often.

Not Psychic nor insider information at all:D Just that I try to read all of the posts in a thread before I reply to a question being asked:)

Below is Post # 25, where the OP came back and gave her first update with the info I quoted (my highlight and underline below)

Joanie

Update.. Update

I had typed I huge what happened and I guess I had timed out and it did not get posted, so he goes short version

We will be sailing on the Westerdam on Saturday vs the Statendam on Sunday.

First Hal rep I talked to was nice and I knew we would come to an arrangement that satisfied both parties. Called back after my 2 hours and we found the Westerdam and 2 sailings in August. The Westerdam we would have to still share but larger room. Had to call and speak to my mom (my mom and 2 kids are going) when I called back the first rep I had talked to had left for the day:(. Have to inform new rep.(who has something stuck where the sun don't shine) what we were discussing and that I would like to have X amount in OBC if we take the Westerdam. She puts me on hold the phone hangs up Oh oH.. I call back and the office is now closed..AAAHHHHHH Is this what they do to unwanted/overbooked guest. She does call back but now I am in full panic mode. she tells me that she could not get X amount in OBC p.p. I blurt out not p.p. I just want that amount (negotiations 101: do not blurt out what you will take listen to what they will give you) She gives me an amount that was double what I asked for. O.k. Book me.

From the Stantendam inside L521 and L527 Anchorage to B.C.

Westerdam Deluxe Verandah Suite SA7--- Seattle R.T

We will have to share a room. I hope that we do not drive each other crazy. I feel good about the deal and we have some OBC. Time will only tell !!! Ask me in 10 days if this was a good deal or not. I just hope that the room is large enough for the 4 of us.

For those of you that posted a long the lines of 3rd world countries etc. I booked 2 rooms for a reason. I/we do not share a room with our kids when we cruise or that matter go on VACATION. That would not be a vacation. How do you have your time with your spouse:D? I never said who was going with me, just my kids. I still booked 2 rooms for a reason. Not sure if my mom will survive but we are all well traveled and flexible people. Not our first cruise and will not be our last. If this is how Hal does business I will know in the future to book my rooms with out linking them together. No calls about sharing a room.

In the end I was never ugly (she deserved it) used lots of humor and was willing to help them out if it was a benefit to me. I was aware that they could say "here is your money back have a nice day" so I played nice and we will see what the next 10 days brings us.

Off to finish packing and to check out what to do in Sitka.

Join a new roll call

Lisa, that was very informative! I am curious about one thing - you said this type of thing does happen on Princess, Celebrity etc but rarely on Carnival. Why is that? Do the cancellation percentages differ from line to line? Am just curious as to why some lines get it right and others overbook, although hopefully it doesn't happen often.

The major reason is that Carnival really does not sell nearly as many Guarantees as Princess and HAL. Princess is probably the number one seller of Guarantee cabins.

For the most part HAL and Princess really do pretty good when you look at the shear numbers of people sailing weekly. Every once in a while there is going to be an odd sailing that no one cancels then the cruise lines need to scramble and make some offers. It does make it doubly hard when it is a sailing like the Statendam that ends in a different port than embarkation started at. In this case you are never going to have someone that lives in the area that you can call and make those special offers to. In this case their only choice is to first offer to those that purchased air from you.

Lisa is awesome! She has all the answers...as far as I'm concerned...;)

I'm with you Sapper. There is no way that I would give in and let HAL do this to me. We have sailed in an SA with three of us, but that is our own choice and because of a special needs person that cannot be left alone. Let HAL make someone an offer they cannot refuse--like refund their money and put them on another cruise free of charge.

Terri

But then that is your price. A free cruise. Doesn't mean you'll get it, but everyone has a price. My price would be a nice room upgrade and a free dinner or OBC. Doesn't mean I'd get that either.

For the first time, I took a look at the contract and I never realized how much power the cruise line has. It agrees to transport you but doesn't say much about the limits on that, which really leaves a lot open in their favor.

Two things stand out to me here:

1)The OP said " The H.A. rep said there was another family that was all ready on the ship that has the <same type of rate that we do> and they are in the process of contacting them to see if they would share a room once the ship gets into Seward.". Was this a special deal with more strings attached? A few weeks ago someone had mentioned sailing "standby" in the " old days". ( I don't remember who or which post :( ). (OP pointed out their "rate").

2) one has to wonder at what point HAL overbooked. Eleven days prior they sold OP not one, but TWO cabins.

Hope OP and family have a great cruise.

Archived