Oversold...Hal wants me to share room..

m-of-connor

Just got a call from H.A.. left message "please call it is urgent about you upcoming Statendam cruise". So, of course I call them back. I booked this cruise on the 11th. Yes, it was a great rate, that is why I booked 2 rooms for my family.

They are in an oversold situation and since I booked at a low rate, 2 inside guarantee cabins. (we were assigned rooms on Tuesday)

The H.A. Representative explained that we would need to move to a quad room because of the oversold ship. I told him absolutely not that is why I booked 2 rooms. That is not a vacation if I have to share a 200sq. ft. space with my kids for 7 days. More explanations as to why this has happen and that they have not canceled my reservations and that they expect cancellations but none have happen. No other ship has cabins during this time. We also talked about moving this trip to August. The H.A. rep said there was another family that was all ready on the ship that has the same type of rate that we do and they are in the process of contacting them to see if they would share a room once the ship gets into Seward. This family is older he told me the ages 72,79,80,and 72. I do not want them in a quad and I could not even imagine that conversation.

We ended the conversation with no resolution I have to call back in 2 hours. We leave tomorrow not sure if I need to finish packing or not.

Any one else have this happen with H.A. This is/was?? the first cruise on them and my first impression is not so good. I hope for a good outcome but I am so stressed out. Not sure if they can just refund my money back. I hope that this all ends well but not knowing what I need to do at this time is killing me. Plus my kids are telling me all kinds of things I should say. I did tell the H.A. rep that he was going to have to explain why they are not going to Alaska in one day.

Just got a call from H.A.. left message "please call it is urgent about you upcoming Statendam cruise". So, of course I call them back. I booked this cruise on the 11th. Yes, it was a great rate, that is why I booked 2 rooms for my family.

They are in an oversold situation and since I booked at a low rate, 2 inside guarantee cabins. (we were assigned rooms on Tuesday)

The H.A. Representative explained that we would need to move to a quad room because of the oversold ship. I told him absolutely not that is why I booked 2 rooms. That is not a vacation if I have to share a 200sq. ft. space with my kids for 7 days. More explanations as to why this has happen and that they have not canceled my reservations and that they expect cancellations but none have happen. No other ship has cabins during this time. We also talked about moving this trip to August. The H.A. rep said there was another family that was all ready on the ship that has the same type of rate that we do and they are in the process of contacting them to see if they would share a room once the ship gets into Seward. This family is older he told me the ages 72,79,80,and 72. I do not want them in a quad and I could not even imagine that conversation.

We ended the conversation with no resolution I have to call back in 2 hours. We leave tomorrow not sure if I need to finish packing or not.

Any one else have this happen with H.A. This is/was?? the first cruise on them and my first impression is not so good. I hope for a good outcome but I am so stressed out. Not sure if they can just refund my money back. I hope that this all ends well but not knowing what I need to do at this time is killing me. Plus my kids are telling me all kinds of things I should say. I did tell the H.A. rep that he was going to have to explain why they are not going to Alaska in one day.

I don't think they can make you switch. Now, as to whether they can talk you into it, that's up to you. You booked 2 rooms, had 2 rooms assigned, and you're going. That would be my stance.

Now, if that quad was a suite....

:)

You have been assigned 2 cabins that you have paid for. End of discussion (unless you hear the words Deluxe Suite). I feel very sorry for those elderly folks. Hopefully they will understand the situation and not get talked into something. It's not your fault the ship is oversold and not your problem.

Whatever rate you booked at is immaterial. You paid what they offered as their rate for 2 rooms and they assigned you 2 rooms. End of story.

Follow the advice of Nancy Reagan.

Just Say NO!

If you are paid in full and have your boarding passes, the overbooking is their problem. They typically keep sweetening the pot until they get someone to accept their offer, just as the airlines do when they overbook.

Passengers who can be flexible and switch to another cruise on another date sometimes end up with some very good deals in such situations.

You have been assigned 2 cabins that you have paid for. End of discussion (unless you hear the words Deluxe Suite). I feel very sorry for those elderly folks. Hopefully they will understand the situation and not get talked into something. It's not your fault the ship is oversold and not your problem.

Whatever rate you booked at is immaterial. You paid what they offered as their rate for 2 rooms and they assigned you 2 rooms. End of story.

Agree with everyone who says the same!!!

(only chose Peaches Post to respond to/quote since hers was at the end of the posts:)

Joanie

I agree with the others. Unless they want you to share a suite, you have no good reason to make this change. Not only will you all be in one room, you'd be sharing one bathroom, which is the worst part of a quad.

Don't let them guilt you with the story about the people in their 70s. I hate to accuse someone of lying, but the rep could have made that up to pressure you.

I've been told that it's in the contract that the cruise line can cancel your cruise for any reason. Have you checked the contract? (I haven't.)

Overbooking has become more common and this is the result.

Surely they owe you airfare costs? You might want to check with your cruise insurance company.

Please don't just assume that they will do the right thing.

Did you read this? http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4871

The H.A. rep said there was another family that was all ready on the ship that has the same type of rate that we do and they are in the process of contacting them to see if they would share a room once the ship gets into Seward. This family is older he told me the ages 72,79,80,and 72.

Firstly, stand your ground. Do NOT accept it unless -- as others have said -- the words "Deluxe Suite" or "Penthouse" come into play. If those words show up ... then I'd consider it.

Secondly, what in hades was that HAL representative doing divulging the personal, confidential information of other passengers to a third party??? If I were part of that older family and I found out about it, I'd be VERY angry.

didn't this happen not too long ago?

Somebody was travelling with his/her mother, booked two cabins and got "forced' into one cabin, also a last minute kind of thing with "threats' and all? Something like that? I remember the discussion in that thread, about sharing a cabin (or not) when you actually booked 2.

Not pretty.

stand your ground, no matter what. they took your money, they need to honor it. it is not your problem hal's greed is biting them in the butt.

Look, overbookings happen. Anyone who flies understands that. Stuff happens. People screw up. Welcome to the real world. Yes, it is not unfortunate, but things happen.

“Stand your ground, no matter what”? Are you serious? This is the type of childish and self-centered attitude I would expect a teenager to have and not an experienced cruiser like yourself. What do you recommend that HAL does? Build another room on a deck?

I can tell you what they can do legally if push comes to shove: they can do exactly what any business, be it airlines, cruise lines, theater, restaurant, plumber, etc. can do: they can refund your money and show you the door. Legally, they can do that to you, me, or anyone else. Read your contracts.

Just exactly what do you see the resolution being? Sharing a room with own kids seems like a pretty reasonable thing to do. When I read the headline before clicking on it, I thought that he was asked by HAL to share a room with other passengers. He does not have to shake his room with the 72, 79, 80, and 82 year olds, does he?

Yes, it sucks for m-of-connor. My sympathies to him, and shame on HAL. But I am sure that if he takes an appropriate approach with HAL, that he’ll be able to swing a deal that is good for him. It depends on how good of a negotiator and how desperate HAL is. As an experienced cruiser, I am confident that he knows how to do this.

I agree with the others. Unless they want you to share a suite, you have no good reason to make this change. Not only will you all be in one room, you'd be sharing one bathroom, which is the worst part of a quad.

Seriously?

Do you realize that in many portions of the world many families share one bathroom? Their whole lives. Sometimes it is down the hall in their tenement, sometimes an outhouse, sometimes a hole in a ground. For ancestors of some members on this board in their first trans-Atlantic voyage did not have any bathroom in the hold of the ship. Let’s keep things in perspective.

The horrors of sharing a bathroom with other family members? That is a typical First World problem.

tumblr.jpg

tumblr_lpomggEKAJ1qz5tgbo1_1280.jpg

PARTIAL QUOTE

Look, overbookings happen. Anyone who flies understands that...

Hi pdmklynek. With respect, there is a distinct difference between booking a flight and booking a cruise; to turn your phrase around a bit - anyone who cruises understands that.;):) -Regards, S.

Seriously?

Do you realize that in many portions of the world many families share one bathroom? Their whole lives. Sometimes it is down the hall in their tenement, sometimes an outhouse, sometimes a hole in a ground. For ancestors of some members on this board in their first trans-Atlantic voyage did not have any bathroom in the hold of the ship. Let’s keep things in perspective.

The horrors of sharing a bathroom with other family members? That is a typical First World problem.

Gee, I had no idea :rolleyes:

A full refund and a free future cruise would be suitable compensation. I wouldn't take anything less. There's always use of social and traditional media if passage is denied.

Then maybe sharing a bathroom would pay off :D

The idea that companies, airlines or cruise lines, may overbook and hold paying passengers hostage is not acceptable in my book.

When it becomes a consistent pattern, then it is time to look for another carrier. A year ago, I flew on American Airlines to Rome. Only one flight a day in and out. Found it runs late both directions. While waiting on my first leg, I found American had a number of flights that were delayed and that they were over booking pretty consistently. I heard folks who were trying to get to a wedding chat and other stories. On my next trip to Rome I am booked on another carrier with more flight options. American probably will not miss my business and I can tell you I will not miss being delayed 2 hours each direction and worrying about making connections.

I hope the Op gets an acceptable resolution for the cruise line's mistakes.

Update.. Update

I had typed I huge what happened and I guess I had timed out and it did not get posted, so he goes short version

We will be sailing on the Westerdam on Saturday vs the Statendam on Sunday.

First Hal rep I talked to was nice and I knew we would come to an arrangement that satisfied both parties. Called back after my 2 hours and we found the Westerdam and 2 sailings in August. The Westerdam we would have to still share but larger room. Had to call and speak to my mom (my mom and 2 kids are going) when I called back the first rep I had talked to had left for the day:(. Have to inform new rep.(who has something stuck where the sun don't shine) what we were discussing and that I would like to have X amount in OBC if we take the Westerdam. She puts me on hold the phone hangs up Oh oH.. I call back and the office is now closed..AAAHHHHHH Is this what they do to unwanted/overbooked guest. She does call back but now I am in full panic mode. she tells me that she could not get X amount in OBC p.p. I blurt out not p.p. I just want that amount (negotiations 101: do not blurt out what you will take listen to what they will give you) She gives me an amount that was double what I asked for. O.k. Book me.

From the Stantendam inside L521 and L527 Anchorage to B.C.

Westerdam Deluxe Verandah Suite SA7--- Seattle R.T

We will have to share a room. I hope that we do not drive each other crazy. I feel good about the deal and we have some OBC. Time will only tell !!! Ask me in 10 days if this was a good deal or not. I just hope that the room is large enough for the 4 of us.

For those of you that posted a long the lines of 3rd world countries etc. I booked 2 rooms for a reason. I/we do not share a room with our kids when we cruise or that matter go on VACATION. That would not be a vacation. How do you have your time with your spouse:D? I never said who was going with me, just my kids. I still booked 2 rooms for a reason. Not sure if my mom will survive but we are all well traveled and flexible people. Not our first cruise and will not be our last. If this is how Hal does business I will know in the future to book my rooms with out linking them together. No calls about sharing a room.

In the end I was never ugly (she deserved it) used lots of humor and was willing to help them out if it was a benefit to me. I was aware that they could say "here is your money back have a nice day" so I played nice and we will see what the next 10 days brings us.

Off to finish packing and to check out what to do in Sitka.

Join a new roll call

Archived