Oversold...Hal wants me to share room..

m-of-connor

I just read all of this from the beginning having no idea how it ended. OP initially saying only that she got a discounted rate a few days before the cruise and gaining so much sympathy and advice was unfair to the helpful posters on CC and to HAL. I wonder if that guy a month or so ago who ended up having to share with his mother or get bumped had the same kind of rate deal and failed to be totally upfront about it too.

Good question :):) It puts things in a whole different perspective, doesn't it? If I am travelling with friends I link for dining or whatever or request HAL to connect us with dining. i don't expect to be asked to share a room and don't plan on it:)

We experienced overbooked cruise and flight on same vacation (Princess and American Airlines). Ended up paying port taxes only for the cruise with an upgrade to Balcony (from inside). Upgrade to 1st class on a flight (1 hour later) plus 2 future round trip flights. Cheapest vacation we ever took.

Keith

I have a friend who is sailing under the friends and family plan with Princess in July. She has never cruised or been to Alaska before. She is sailing on a 10 day cruise R/T from San Francisco for $200. $200! I hope things don't go sour for her as she has no idea about how cruise lines, fares, and guarantees work.

Just for information purposes, when purchasing under Interline the employee can purchase up to two cabins using their Airline I.D. These cabins would not have to be linked together. And may not have been especially if they chose Open Dining. In this case how they were linked was that the cabins were purchased under Interline for one airline employee who had to fax in their Airline I.D. card immediately.

In most cases linking reservation numbers together is for Dining Purposes only but HAL will look at when all involved have Guarantee cabins and they do attempt to assign them close together. Normally linked cabins are rarely touched especially if cabins were chosen, they do not even get the upsell offer emails on the first round of offers.

In very desperate rare situations HAL may contact those linked together to make an offer of changing cabins or moving sailings. In these cases the offers are normally very generous and HAL is very accomodating as are most other cruise lines. The only cruise line I have seen make cabin changes that are not at all upgrades without asking is Disney. But those that do get changed are never upset. Guess they are already drinking the Goofy Juice :D.

Hi RevNeal! I haven't seen you in ages. We were just in a Deluxe Veranda (have you ever been in one?), but still don't feel it is big enough for 4 people so would not have taken the deal. But, it is a large jump from an inside.... .

They now have a Deluxe Veranda SUITE which is different from a Deluxe Veranda.

I just read all of this from the beginning having no idea how it ended. OP initially saying only that she got a discounted rate a few days before the cruise and gaining so much sympathy and advice was unfair to the helpful posters on CC and to HAL. I wonder if that guy a month or so ago who ended up having to share with his mother or get bumped had the same kind of rate deal and failed to be totally upfront about it too.

I dont care if they booked two years in advance or two days in advance, if the cruise line took their money for two cabins at the advertised rate and assigned them two cabins they deserve two cabins. Not to be told sorry we overbooked you will have to share one cabin :eek:

I dont care if they booked two years in advance or two days in advance, if the cruise line took their money for two cabins at the advertised rate and assigned them two cabins they deserve two cabins. Not to be told sorry we overbooked you will have to share one cabin :eek:

Did you read the thread before you posted? OP didn't book at the "advertised" rate. It was a "stand-by" rate. HAL was doing OP a favor by finding a way to take the cruise at all. :rolleyes:

I think you need to go back a few posts and read the whole story of this booking. Yes, if she had paid the "advertised rate" for 2 cabins everyone agrees with you. That is what we all thought, too. However, in her most recent post OP finally explained that she had paid a special and VERY discounted rate for airline employees, called the Interline rate. It is more or less like having a standby reservation and these bookings will often be cancelled or changed by the cruiseline. OP never explained this initially and everyone had thought she had paid an advertised rate like we all do. It helps to read the thread.

Did you read the thread before you posted? OP didn't book at the "advertised" rate. It was a "stand-by" rate. HAL was doing OP a favor by finding a way to take the cruise at all. :rolleyes:

I think you need to go back a few posts and read the whole story of this booking. Yes' date=' if she had paid the "advertised rate" for 2 cabins everyone agrees with you. That is what we all thought, too. However, in her most recent post OP finally explained that she had paid a special and VERY discounted rate for airline employees, called the Interline rate. It is more or less like having a standby reservation and these bookings will often be cancelled or changed by the cruiseline. OP never explained this initially and everyone had thought she had paid an advertised rate like we all do. It helps to read the thread.[/quote']

it has been reported by other posters on this thread, who did not book the interline rate, that this has happened to them also. hal needs to adjust their 'model' of how many canellations are to be expected. the bean-counters have run amok.

it has been reported by other posters on this thread, who did not book the interline rate, that this has happened to them also. hal needs to adjust their 'model' of how many canellations are to be expected. the bean-counters have run amok.

I agree. I have read the whole thread, but by now I'm confused. Didn't the OP make these bookings fairly late, like 2 weeks out? That's what gets me. At that point, HAL is assigning guarantees, and should have a handle on the number of passsengers they have to place. I don't think it's the bean counters who should be blamed, it's the passenger counters!!!

I agree. I have read the whole thread, but by now I'm confused. Didn't the OP make these bookings fairly late, like 2 weeks out? That's what gets me. At that point, HAL is assigning guarantees, and should have a handle on the number of passsengers they have to place. I don't think it's the bean counters who should be blamed, it's the passenger counters!!!

As an often maligned bean counter I agree with you.

Seriously?

Do you realize that in many portions of the world many families share one bathroom? Their whole lives. Sometimes it is down the hall in their tenement, sometimes an outhouse, sometimes a hole in a ground. For ancestors of some members on this board in their first trans-Atlantic voyage did not have any bathroom in the hold of the ship. Let’s keep things in perspective.

The horrors of sharing a bathroom with other family members? That is a typical First World problem.

tumblr.jpg

tumblr_lpomggEKAJ1qz5tgbo1_1280.jpg

And I sympathize with those people . But my DW and I (as well as many many other people in the world ) work very hard to have nice homes with all the comforts we can manage to have.

Vacation is a time to have and do things better and more fun than what you have at home.

I have 2 and half beautiful, clean ,modern bathrooms at home in my everyday life. I don't want to spend my money , or my vacation time sharing an outhouse or a hole in the ground .

• 1 month later...

I had a very surprising offer from HAL last year for a Baltic cruise in July on the Rotterdam with three people;

Two days before sailing i got a tel call from our TA asking if we would accept to change our two connecting cabins (26360 and 2632) with three people for ONE VERANDAH SUITE at a very reduced price (we would have paid 1608 eur instead of 7268 eur for the two cabins, less than one quarter of the original cost for the two connecting cabins!). We declined the offer.

We would never share a cabin with anyone no matter how much saving. If we travel with friends, it's wonderful to see them, enjoy them and go off to our own cabins at the end of the day. :)

There isnt enough money they could offer!!! ;)

We would never share a cabin with anyone no matter how much saving. If we travel with friends, it's wonderful to see them, enjoy them and go off to our own cabins at the end of the day. :)

There isnt enough money they could offer!!! ;)

I agree 100% !!!

REINCARNATION!!!:rolleyes:

The sad part of that is that it's clear some people have not read the entire thread, and don't know the rest of the story. They don't realize that OP was booked as a stand-by, and HAL was doing them a favor by attempting to get them on the ship at all.

Now, they are likely to believe, and post about it so that others may believe, that if you book two cabins, HAL just might come and force you to move everyone in to one.

The sad part of that is that it's clear some people have not read the entire thread, and don't know the rest of the story. They don't realize that OP was booked as a stand-by, and HAL was doing them a favor by attempting to get them on the ship at all.

Now, they are likely to believe, and post about it so that others may believe, that if you book two cabins, HAL just might come and force you to move everyone in to one.

My son works for an airline, and we (parents) travel at a good price on his airline and at a good reduce price on almost all other airlines all over the world, of course we are "stand by" and once you are "experienced" we find a lot more advantage to travel that way (beside the price).

We also have advantage on hotels, "all inclusive" and most cruise line via Interline club.

I'm in the course of booking a cruise on Carnival and it would save me $100.00 pp on and already very low cost Transatlantic...$900.00 instead of $1000.00 pp. never i was told that i was on a "stand by" ...but i will check

My son works for an airline, and we (parents) travel at a good price on his airline and at a good reduce price on almost all other airlines all over the world, of course we are "stand by" and once you are "experienced" we find a lot more advantage to travel that way (beside the price).

We also have advantage on hotels, "all inclusive" and most cruise line via Interline club.

I'm in the course of booking a cruise on Carnival and it would save me $100.00 pp on and already very low cost Transatlantic...$900.00 instead of $1000.00 pp. never i was told that i was on a "stand by" ...but i will check

It was my understanding that part of using Interline was that you are not to publicly discuss what rates you pay. Is that no longer the case? My TA days were short but sweet and many years ago.

Archived