Perhaps I'm just paranoid

Orator

3 or 4 days ago every page I went to on CC I got a warning from the Avast anti virus. 2 or 3 other people on our roll call reported the same activity, all using Avast. It was only CC that I was having issues with. It's fine now.

Had the same thing happening to me ~~ 4 days ago; happened when I clicked on ''board'' to sign in and start getting '' my daily fix'':rolleyes::D...immediately, Avast ''red'' board jumped up and warned me ''an object had been detected'' ...and dealt with. I then did an Avast scan and a Malwayres scan....

Later that evening, when I clicked ''board'' ,got a message ''Internet cannot display that page''.

Concluded Cruise Critics was having a bad hair day and tried 2 days later.

All is fine now. Actually comforting that I was not alone running into this little hick-up, by the sound of it.

Cheers

;)

McAfee even started blocking my MSN Hot Mail account a few days ago so I deactivated McAfee. I also got the red warning about CC. Honestly, I'm switching to a different security package.

McAfee is terrible. I used it early on and found that I had nothing but problems. They were constantly interfering with everything I was trying to do. Good idea to deactivate! :)

I had problems over the past week with 2 anti virus programs showing CC as Malware. Avast and Avira. Currently using Avira and trying to unblock pages of this site, it´s a real pain. I have notice tho, there have been a few posts which on first glance look as if they´re from a ´normal´newbie, but when you click on the post, they are in fact advert for products, current one is for baby clothes. Don´t know if this has something to do with the problems we´re having

Sandy in Spain

I´ve had problems over the last few day with Avast and Avira, both blocking this site. I have also noticed advert type posts from newbies

Sandy in Spain

In the last few days I've spotted some suspicious threads on this board. One member of one of my roll calls said that she opened a post and got a virus. Fortunately it was stopped by her virus protection. Said that she reported it to Cruise Critic. Tonight I spotted another suspicious thread and I reported it without opening it. It was removed. In all cases the threads were started by a first time poster and the subject had nothing to do with cruising. Be alert.

Good advice.

However, I'm an apathetic paranoid. I know they're out to get me, I just don't care.

:p

Nothing to do with viruses, but I am uncomfortable with a number of recent posts from first time posters on the Azamara board (same parent company as Celebrity) that seem suspiciously like a plant from the cruise line after a thread started where cruisers are not happy with the new amenities ("About Rose") after the Elemis products were removed from the ships. With only 1 or 2 posts from more than one individual and the only thing they say is that they love the new product (they are not on any roll calls and neither mentioned anything about their vacation). As you can see I am not comfortable making accusations on that board, but hope the moderators will investigate. Again, a situation with first time posters and little to do with cruising but that they loved a specific new product.

• Administrators
Thanks for the tip, Host Andy -- it's good to know what's going on. Yesterday, my McAfee went berzerk when I tried to log onto the boards. It's still showing a "red" status, so you guys might want to contact them to let them know that you are taking care of the problem. Just another reason not to click on every link you see! :rolleyes:

We're in the process of doing this. It isn't as easy as it seems, and that's a good thing for customers of McAfee, they are doing the right thing in ensuring the site is free of issues. We do believe, at this time, that we are in the "good". I've been bypassing the McAfee warning page myself.

Laura

• Administrators
When I clicked on the McAfee square it took me to the web site that shows the site is fine. I dumped the site advisor. If McAfee can't figure out what's good or bad, I don't trust them

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

As information, what we found is that a site that many members use for those cute little dancing graphics was the culprit. That site is linked into many posts here on Cruise Critic. Now, the majority of members do not click on those little graphics in people's posts, but McAfee was definitely correct in their assumption that a site that contained malware was posted on the forum. I'm also willing to bet that the folks at the graphics site were pretty ticked off, as they themselves had nothing to do with the malware attack on their site.

Hi Everyone,

You may wish to review the comments from Our Community Manager, LauraS, at the top of the Forum Page :

Here's a link to the thread : http://boards.cruisecritic.com/announcement.php?f=28&a=295

Hmm, after reading the posts that preceded this one, I am very suspicious about clicking on links embedded in posts....

Just kidding. Couldn't resist the obvious crack to be made. :D

We're in the process of doing this. It isn't as easy as it seems, and that's a good thing for customers of McAfee, they are doing the right thing in ensuring the site is free of issues. We do believe, at this time, that we are in the "good". I've been bypassing the McAfee warning page myself.

Laura

Laura

I agree. I cannot understand people turning against a company because it is doing what they have paid for it to do. After all, we are only being warned to take care.

Sue

The message boards are now being blocked by smartfilter on my company's corporate network. The cruisecritic home page is fine, but message boards are now labeled as having dangerous content.

I hope the admins get things straightened out or I'll have to start bringing a book to read over lunchtime!

Just an FYI that there are a couple of really nasty bugs going around for MAC OS as well. The best thing is never click on those flashing banners.

How true. We learned out lesson and are very careful.

Thanks

This site can be addictive and cause you to lose track of time... Read with caution!;)

INSOMNIA. I find myself awake until the wee hours of the morning quite often! :rolleyes:

INABILATY TO CONCENTRATE AND/OR FOCUS... on mundane day-to-day activities while contemplating past, present, or future cruises! ;)

ANXIETY... over whether you got the best deal, made all the preparations, or have enough points to make "ELITE" on your next cruise. :o

EUPHORIA... especially after booking and making your first post to your new Roll Call. :D

ADDICTION...to the fun and enjoyment of meeting new people, (even before you meet them) as well as learning and sharing cruise related information.:)

Wahoo! Finally a green Mcafee site advisor icon!

Thanks to Laura S and all our hard-working admin/mod's who persisted in getting this problem resolved! :D

(But, I'm still going to be careful about which links I click on :cool:)

The message boards are now being blocked by smartfilter on my company's corporate network. The cruisecritic home page is fine, but message boards are now labeled as having dangerous content.

I find that thick skin is invaluable in coping with the dangerous content on the message boards. ;)

I use Norton 360 and I have had no problems with viri on the boards.

I hope the admins get things straightened out or I'll have to start bringing a book to read over lunchtime!

That may have nothing to do with CC. Your company's firewall is probably blocking the site. Many companies block message boards through their firewall. I'm an IT manager and we block Facebook, Craigslist, Youtube, and many other streaming sites. It has less to do with site content and more about employee productivity.:eek::eek::eek: Hey, don't shoot the guy who flips the switch. I just follow orders.:D

Same thing happened to me today - now being blocked at work. Waaaah.

Archived