Solo Diver

R_Judy

Is it difficult to find a dive partner? I am going on a b2b Caribbean cruise in February. I have my open water cert. but will need a dive partner. Will RCCL set you up with someone if you use their shore excursion?

Thank you in advance for any and all info.

I'm a solo diver most of the time. No, the cruise line is not going to set anything up for you but about usually one of the following happens

- there's other solo folks on the dive and we buddy up

- I start talking to a friendly dive pair and ask if they mind my tagging along with them

- The DM says just hang with me

I also dive solo and have never had a problem with finding a partner on the dive boat. If no one is available to be partnered with, you will just dive with the Dive Master.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Is it difficult to find a dive partner? I am going on a b2b Caribbean cruise in February. I have my open water cert. but will need a dive partner. Will RCCL set you up with someone if you use their shore excursion?

Thank you in advance for any and all info.

You could switch to Allure in April ;) I did a intro to scuba dive in St Thomas last year via Royal and I did see a few people who were certified buddy up. Off to read your other replies. I'm currently consdering private operations such as diving with Coki Beach clue in St Thomas so my wife could stay on the beach.

Hmm another cruise maybe! I finished my upgrade to open water certification on Saturday. I am actually going to get my adventure diver certification in Cozumel. 2 dives one week (boat dives) and 3 the next week (beach entry). Aqua Safari is the bomb! They are going to do this for me. I can't say how kind they have been online and they seem to have very good reviews.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm a solo diver most of the time. No, the cruise line is not going to set anything up for you but about usually one of the following happens

- there's other solo folks on the dive and we buddy up

- I start talking to a friendly dive pair and ask if they mind my tagging along with them

- The DM says just hang with me

Ditto! But on my Liberty cruise last year I found my dive buddy in the CC role call :)

I am a solo diver as well and have not ever had a problem finding a buddy. And I have been diving on a cruise nearly every year for 10 years. With that being said, be smart. I take it VERY seriously. Oncei was walking up to the dive boat with some guy who talked about drinking until 4 am that night. I wanted nothing to do with him as a buddy. As soon as I got on board I counted the divers. According to the math, I would be paired up with the drunk. That was not good enough for me, so I quickly found a couple of guys willing to adopt me. When they were confirming buddies they wanted me with the drunk guy I said I am already paired up, and then I had to whisper the convo with drunk guy. They were fine with my new pair... But I am always proactive with it. One trip it worked perfectly there was one guy who who diving both days I had signed up, he was responsible and we paired up for the week, it was great!

Have fun!

christy

two ways to approach this

1. Just tell the crew/DM that you are a newbie and solo and a GOOD DM will just tell you to hang with them

2. on the ride over/out/upto whatever, look for what appears to be a pair of experienced divers - a man/women husband/wife team is best - then simply introduce yourself and ask if you can buddy with them. Worked for me MANY times.

A friendly experienced diver is happy to have a novice along (so long as they don't seriously screw up the dive aka YOU HAVE GOOD BASIC SKILLS)

I'd buddy up with you if asked .....

My experience as a solo diver leads me to believe that you better be prepared to the the one following people around as your dive 'buddy' will wander off the instant you turn to look at a fish. I'd stick with the dive master as they tend to be a bit more aware. Occasionally you'll find a more serious diver who will actually take the buddy thing to heart. If they start quizzing you about your dive log when you ask to buddy you've probably found someone who will take it seriously.

Decided to take dive classes from a local facility in Cozumel towards my advanced certification. 2 boat dives on the first cruise and 3 shore dives on the 2nd part of my b2b cruise. Will end up with my advanced certification this way!

outstanding way to jump around the solo diver issue ....

TAKE a CLASS

I got my advanced in a similar way ... hooked up with an instructor during a trip. Signing me off as Advanced was documentation for him to claim the trip as business!

I just got my certification a month ago. My dh doesn't dive - did it with my grown son. BUt I really don't think anyone really wants to be a buddy with a first time diver so I'm not sure if I want to look for buddy.

I was an Assistant Dive Instuctor. Any dive excursion organized by the cruise line will make sure you have a buddy. As others have said, as a last resort the Dive Master will probably buddy with you. You won't be allowed to, and shouldn't anyway, dive without one.

Have a b2b2b in 5 weeks and not sure if I will dive or not.

But I do have another question: Do you need to have your certification card with you or is a copy ok. Also do you need to bring your log book along?

thanks

I don't think a copy would work, they want to see the actual card. It's to easy to fake something with a copy. They will want to know when your last dives were. I always take my logbook with me (my cards are in there), but I've only been asked once by a shop to go through it.

During our course, we discussed diving on ship excursions and all of the seasoned divers said "don't go with the ship's excursions" and that we should find a local since they will take us to places where "all" the ship's people don't go.

That's pretty much true. I avoid ship's excursions and only use them when we have a very early departure and I know the dive shops are a good distance away.

Have a b2b2b in 5 weeks and not sure if I will dive or not.

But I do have another question: Do you need to have your certification card with you or is a copy ok. Also do you need to bring your log book along?

thanks

R U PADI?

if you are taking a copy because you lost the original be advised that you can get a replacement from PADI very quickly. All their records are electronic now and you can send them a digital picture.

I recently updated my 20 year old card (picture was kinda old) via the web site and rec'd the replacement in less than a week. (recently diving at EPCOT center one **** *** diver didn't even bring their card <duh> but EPCOT went online with PADI and verified their certification)

http://www.padi.com/scuba/scuba-certification-cards/default.aspx

In 30 years of active diving I've NEVER been asked to show my log book. I'm routinely asked when was my last dive, and I'm prepared to answer that without getting a glazed look on my face :rolleyes: ... two weeks ago .. yesterday

That's pretty much true. I avoid ship's excursions and only use them when we have a very early departure and I know the dive shops are a good distance away.

During our course, we discussed diving on ship excursions and all of the seasoned divers said "don't go with the ship's excursions" and that we should find a local since they will take us to places where "all" the ship's people don't go.

a topic that has been discussed many times over (maybe even in this thread) and a theory I find to be over generalization and simply not true - in all cases - true in SOME cases, but not all.

I've been an active diver for over 35 years, dove on most of my cruises, and worked on ships in the Carib' where I stopped in nearly every one of the popular dive locations for R&R over the course of 30 years.

I've been on cruise arranged trips where there were 4 divers a DM and a Zodiac, and shore arranged trips where there were 50 divers on a pontoon boat.

Booking based on a personal recommendation best - probably ... in my case when working on ships my dives were usually arranged by my agent and he wanted to keep my business. EXACTLY the same as a cruise ship's excursions dept. They WANT to make money booking these trips. Negative reviews see the contractor dumped FAST for another (when there are options).

There are islands where I still have contacts and might arrange my own dive ... but for the most part find the cruise line arranged dive most enjoyable with NO logistical concerns.

Lastly, there are places I've dove dozens of times @ the same location. 1 of those times was AMAZING, most others really good, and a few really stunk. The critters that come by, the direction of the wind and swell, the folks you meet on the way - these all add up to the experience and are totally random .... not repeatable. Any one who says take this provider to this location isn't catching my attention. But this IS what a good dive master/boat captain will provide, reading conditions and choosing a good place, even if it is a ship arranged tour!

Archived