Why Do People Get So Angry When

There are a lot of reviews which go beyond criticism, which is a good thing, and are just plain over exaggeration, especially when all the other reports of that particular voyage are glowing. When somebody posts a huge angry slanderous review, which is clearly not accurate, I wonder how many potential cruisers read that and get completely turned off by it.

Now I know you should never base your opinions just on reviews, but that is what people do. It is a fact. It would annoy me if somebody were to miss out on an amazing experience just because of some ridiculous nitpicking review.

Absolutely agree. I think many more would also agree.

Oh, I certainly have a positive attitude simply because we will be on VACATION!:D I think it will be relaxing. I suppose the "idea" of a cruise is more like imagining the Oasis or Allure with all the bells and whistles.

We are doing a Monarch 4 day, and to be honest I'm prepared for mediocrity (except in the case of the staff which gets GLOWING reviews!)

I still think it is a good "first cruise" and we got a really good deal.

The Monarch is a perfect "first" cruise IMHO and once you step on board, not having anything to compare to, there certainly will be a "wow' factor to a certain extent.

Enjoy your cruise! :)

Some people, I have noticed, feel that they are close, dear buddies..long-time pals with the captains and other folks running the ship.

My sister refuses to use CC anymore. She had posted in her forum review a reference to a huge ruckus that ensued as men that were found at sea were picked up by the ship and then transferred to the Coast Guard. It was on another cruise line. We have a close relative who is a now-retired CG officer, and she was appalled when the mostly Cuban crowd ( THAT IS NOT A RACIST COMMENT) began booing both the Coast Guard as well as America. THe Captian also made some comments on the PA system about "stupid, ridiculous rules" of the United States and that " that is all I am saying, my wife is on board, it is our anniversary and I am taking her to bed now"

She and her husband both became the object of taunting and threats ON THE DECK as they watched the rescue mission, because she cheered the Coast Guard and recognized the name of the boat that had come out in high seas to take these men to Miami, and then they get sent back to Cuba if they, were indeed, actually Cuban nationals. One set of very drunk folks threatened to throw her overboard and see if her $$^@$%^ Coast Guard would save her...

Anyway, there were grave security issues, she went to the "bosses' and they reviewed the tapes and admitted that there should have been some sort of ship security presence during the 9pm transfer of refugees. Children were being held up over the railing to see, chants of F- the USA were going on..

So when she wrote her review, she added this,. Members of her Meet and Greet ( it was another cruise line) recognized her CC name and started e-mailing her threats and taunts, calling her outrageous and nasty things for simply stating her feelings about an isolated experience on board. She even got several phone calls from one buffoon who knew her last name and where she lives! Suddenly these idiots were all best buddies with the captain and the crew and she was an evil trouble maker, trying to make the other line look bad. She had to change her e-mail address and will never come on CC again!! She regrets liking the little group she met on CC prior to sailing and sharing her hometown and e-mail

Talk about going OVERBOARD!!!! Not my sissie, the defenders of the other line!

WHAT?????????? This post is not making much sense, you need to lay a better foundation to understand what you are talking about. What ship did this occur on, when, where, and better details. If this indeed happened the way you make it sound, it was a one time incident, does not relate well to the OP's original post, and frankly sounds a bit far fetched. If it is true, sounds as if a few people may have committed a crime, you sis should call the police.

someone posts that they did not enjoy their cruise?

There is probably 2 billion people on the internet. (total guess) In that group you will find more than a few that think Elvis is still alive and Abraham Lincoln really was a Vampire hunter. After the 1980 US Presidential Election the press popularized a phrase, "The vocal minority". Those with the most informed opinions are not always the loudest.

I think the problem lies in the fact that there are some people who are HUGE cruise fans. I love to cruise. But I also understand that there are advantages and disadvantages to cruising. AS such, I know what to expect.

However.... There are definitely things about cruising I dislike, and things that can lead to less pleasant experiences. The problem is, these shortcomings are often a result of design, as far as HOW a cruise line operates. Usually this means the line has made a calculated decision that will best serve their marketing plan, while still not upsetting enough people to matter.

The problem comes from the fact that some people don't like this pointed out:rolleyes:

Some people just get their pom poms hurt too easily...

OTOH...when someone states it costs $12k to go on a 7 day RCI cruise from Florida it might raise the *** flag a bit.

Oasis 9/1/2012 for 2 adults and 2 children...

Royal Suite... $17,420

Sky Loft....... $13,720

Crown Loft.... $10,300

And they said they flew.:eek:

For that kind of money the Ipad should have been included for free.:rolleyes:

Where is the ***flag?

WHAT?????????? This post is not making much sense, you need to lay a better foundation to understand what you are talking about. What ship did this occur on, when, where, and better details. If this indeed happened the way you make it sound, it was a one time incident, does not relate well to the OP's original post, and frankly sounds a bit far fetched. If it is true, sounds as if a few people may have committed a crime, you sis should call the police.

I had the same thought -- that there is more to this story than we are hearing. :rolleyes: For one thing, how did these people get her sister's last name, phone number, and e-mail -- unless she gave that info to them? That's not the sort of info that you can get from these boards! :eek:

I think the problem lies in the fact that there are some people who are HUGE cruise fans. I love to cruise. But I also understand that there are advantages and disadvantages to cruising. AS such, I know what to expect.

However.... There are definitely things about cruising I dislike, and things that can lead to less pleasant experiences. The problem is, these shortcomings are often a result of design, as far as HOW a cruise line operates. Usually this means the line has made a calculated decision that will best serve their marketing plan, while still not upsetting enough people to matter.

The problem comes from the fact that some people don't like this pointed out:rolleyes:

I completely agree that this is a factor. First-time cruisers may not think about the fact that cruises are completely different than land vacations. If the disadvantages to the cruise out weigh the advantages, they may not have a "happy-go-lucky" review. Frequent cruisers sometimes don't understand that cruising may not be something people get addicted to.

I think some cruisers don't understand how, when they have had such good times, others may have a bad experience.

Then there is the theory of "A bad day cruising, is better than a good day at work"

My husband & I take each cruise on any given ship and cruise lines as a new adventure. We walk on board without any expectations and take each day at a time. A poor experience on one ship, reflects the crew of that ship, not the intire Cruise line, so if I see a post bashing the intire cruise line for a minor or even terrible problem a person had on that cruise, I feel isn't justified. I will do my best if I reply to that person, to nicely inform them as I have read others do, to try another ship. On one cruise, we had a very unhappy person had our table, nothing anyone did was right and complained every night. It was our 2nd cruise and sure we should have moved, but his wife was really nice so stayed. Yes we didn't look forward to spending an hour each evening dining with him, but we made the best of it and enjoyed the rest of our cruise.

Make your plans!

Do your research!

Buy insurance regardless of when you travel!

Patience is essential, attitude is everything.

A good attitude is the difference between ordeal and adventure!

Being happy does not mean that everything is perfect.

It means you have decided to look beyond

the imperfections of you’re expectations. :D:D:D

Toes in the water, Ass in the sand,

Not a worry in the world,

a Cold Beer in my Hand, Life is Good Today!!!

Zac Brown Band!!

Well there is a certain news organization that has completley ruined the phrase "fair and balanced" for me... HUH!

I get chapped when I read a post by someone with little or no cruise experience who feels they can have the last word saying silly things. Or someone who goes crusing on a shoe string budget and after trying none of the great things offered, say on the Oasis, and then they say it was awful or crowed! My blood boils!!! You want a cheap and predictable vacation take the kids to Grandma's

Most D and D+ members are protective of RCI.. Why not... we have cruised so much and yes are brand loyal. RCI for the most part has delivered on its promise.

Well there is a certain news organization that has completley ruined the phrase "fair and balanced" for me... HUH!

I get chapped when I read a post by someone with little or no cruise experience who feels they can have the last word saying silly things. Or someone who goes crusing on a shoe string budget and after trying none of the great things offered, say on the Oasis, and then they say it was awful or crowed! My blood boils!!! You want a cheap and predictable vacation take the kids to Grandma's

Most D and D+ members are protective of RCI.. Why not... we have cruised so much and yes are brand loyal. RCI for the most part has delivered on its promise.

And then there are people who have to insert little comments like that when they know it will tweak other readers around here.:rolleyes: I can't really figure out why someone else's opinion about a cruise would make another's blood boil. The way I see it, it was their money they spent and their bad time. It's their loss.

I completely agree that this is a factor. First-time cruisers may not think about the fact that cruises are completely different than land vacations. If the disadvantages to the cruise out weigh the advantages, they may not have a "happy-go-lucky" review. Frequent cruisers sometimes don't understand that cruising may not be something people get addicted to.

I think some cruisers don't understand how, when they have had such good times, others may have a bad experience.

Then there is the theory of "A bad day cruising, is better than a good day at work"

I never quite get that one. There must be a lot of people around who don't much like what they get up and do everyday. I'd actually rather go to work that take the time off and have a bad day cruising.

I never quite get that one. There must be a lot of people around who don't much like what they get up and do everyday. I'd actually rather go to work that take the time off and have a bad day cruising.

I love what I get up and do every day but what exactly is a bad day cruising ? I guess I have just been so spoiled in my limited number of cruises so far that there hasnt been any "bad" to them. In fact, they have all been about perfect. :)

I dont want to be on a ship in the middle of a hurricane or anything nor do I want to be on a cruise ship and be sickended with Noro and confined to my stateroom but other than that, I just cant fathom a "bad" cruise on an RCI ship.

I don't believe that I am protective of RCI - although I'm obviously a fan, I also recognize that they don't do everything right. Sometimes they really screw up. I don't see why somebody pointing out failings would your blood boiling.

And please don't look down your nose at people who travel on a tight budget. I see as much complaining from those who sail in top accomodations and spend freely onboard.

Totally agree, especially if I've forgotten to take my Bonine!:eek:

I had the same thought -- that there is more to this story than we are hearing. :rolleyes: For one thing, how did these people get her sister's last name, phone number, and e-mail -- unless she gave that info to them? That's not the sort of info that you can get from these boards! :eek:

People do share personal information on roll calls (as the poster stated his sister did), especially emails as there is no private message on these boards. The cautious ones create a special email address for the purpose - I'm surprised more don't, as it is so easy to get a free address.

someone posts that they did not enjoy their cruise? Believe me, I know some people never are happy, but some complaints seem legitimate. On the other hand, some of the posters reply as if they are part owners of the cruise companies. Put it this way, I like cruising. I also like land vacations. I used to cruise a lot more but noticed that in 20 years, things have changed on all the cruise lines. Yes, ships are bigger and more glamorous, but food and service has changed. I know exactly what to expect and hope to be pleasantly surprised. We are booked on the Allure for this coming Feb with extended family and I'm sure we will have a blast because we are all together. I know the food isn't going to compare to restaurants in NYC but that's fine. I read a lot of threads on CC and feel I pretty much know a lot about this ship before I'm even on it. Thanks to all advice and input, it is very helpful. CC should be a prerequisite for anyone considering booking a cruise.

I read a review last night that was so dramatic I completely disregarded everything they said. These people are so set on "getting back" at the cruise line they don't give a real review. They think they are hurting the business but in reality they are helping it because I'm glad I won't be seeing those people on the same ship and are happy to book with the cruise line they called horrid.

With time and determination it is easy to track down people's real information especially if they use the same email address with facebook, gmail, etc. There is ALWAYS A TRAIL. You are not as hidden as you think you are.

I love what I get up and do every day but what exactly is a bad day cruising ? I guess I have just been so spoiled in my limited number of cruises so far that there hasnt been any "bad" to them. In fact, they have all been about perfect. :)

I dont want to be on a ship in the middle of a hurricane or anything nor do I want to be on a cruise ship and be sickended with Noro and confined to my stateroom but other than that, I just cant fathom a "bad" cruise on an RCI ship.

I agree. I really have never had a bad day cruising either. Hopefully, it will always be that way for both of us. But I do plenty of research also. I suspect that if I made some other choices I could find myself on a ship thinking that I might rather be at work than taking time off, which I get little of, and spending money on something that I wasn't really enjoying.

I want to go on a cruise with Allie someday. I'll "babysit" for you when you go ashore. :)

It has been my experience that people who get chapped at the "fair and balanced" often are not exactly fair and balanced themselves....

It is worth mentioning however that for a reviewer to be credible, the review should be fair and balanced, regardless of your viewpoint. There are some people here who would sing the lines praises after the ship sank from under them, and others that could be treated like a King and Queen who would find something to complain about.

As to brand loyalty, I actually get that and I can see how this develops with certain products including cruise lines. However, just because you are loyal, does not mean that you are another passenger cannot have a valid complaint or issue. It really is about being fair and balanced regardless of your preferred news channel.

With time and determination it is easy to track down people's real information especially if they use the same email address with facebook, gmail, etc. There is ALWAYS A TRAIL. You are not as hidden as you think you are.

You make a very good point -- just another reason to be careful about what you post on a public website. And, although you have to be a logged-on member of CC to view the roll-call threads -- that's STILL a whole lot of strangers with access to any personal information posted there! :eek:

What I find most annoying and problematic with less than flattering reviews or comments about a cruise is when members of the board go out of their way to share their experience on the same cruise, a similar situation they experienced and how it was resolved or to ask the poster if they brought the problem to anyone's attention and if the matter was resolved.

All to frequently what happens to rational questions is there are so many other posters waiting to jump on the ones asking rational questions and attacking them! Stating things to the effect they must be Royal Champions :rolleyes: or Royal Loyals, and my all time favorite - Cheerleaders and other Jr. High nonsense. The name calling begins.

Go back and read some of the more inflamatory topics. Of course there are a few and they are in the minority IMHO, who will reflexively offer a snarky comment or two to negative posts. But the majority offer comments that will help that poster in the future or new cruisers who come on here and read the negative comments and only take away the negative and none of the positive comments. The bad news is by this time the poster is so invested in their hostile feelings about the issue in the original post, any comments on how to correct in the future is deemed to be attacking them and their grandmother. :eek:

What I find most annoying and problematic with less than flattering reviews or comments about a cruise is when members of the board go out of their way to share their experience on the same cruise, a similar situation they experienced and how it was resolved or to ask the poster if they brought the problem to anyone's attention and if the matter was resolved.

All to frequently what happens to rational questions is there are so many other posters waiting to jump on the ones asking rational questions and attacking them! Stating things to the effect they must be Royal Champions :rolleyes: or Royal Loyals, and my all time favorite - Cheerleaders and other Jr. High nonsense. The name calling begins.

Go back and read some of the more inflamatory topics. Of course there are a few and they are in the minority IMHO, who will reflexively offer a snarky comment or two to negative posts. But the majority offer comments that will help that poster in the future or new cruisers who come on here and read the negative comments and only take away the negative and none of the positive comments. The bad news is by this time the poster is so invested in their hostile feelings about the issue in the original post, any comments on how to correct in the future is deemed to be attacking them and their grandmother. :eek:

Until this thread I had never heard of the Royal Champions. I did a little reading and discovered some felt the cruise line had recruited cruisers to post favorable reviews on sites like this in return for free or discounted cruises, special perks, and in general giving them the "wine and dine" treatment. My only thought was how shameful and unethical for them to do, and where can I sign up for the job..........:D:D:D

Until this thread I had never heard of the Royal Champions. I did a little reading and discovered some felt the cruise line had recruited cruisers to post favorable reviews on sites like this in return for free or discounted cruises, special perks, and in general giving them the "wine and dine" treatment. My only thought was how shameful and unethical for them to do, and where can I sign up for the job..........:D:D:D

If you lived through the whole ridiculous experiment you would have noticed the folks who were participating were already very supportive and usually had nice things to say about the cruiseline. The folks who are now the first to scream cheerleader whenever anyone questions a negative post were the ones who really enjoyed screaming - Royal Champion, etc back then. :D

Archived