VIP (vacation interchange privileges) - HOW??

Tom-n-Cheryl

OK... so I just called Princess to make an inquiry about a sailing with them (it would be our first). After 16 minutes on hold, I got through to a live person. I indicated that I was interested in taking my first Princess sailing and that we have many sailings with Carnival. I said that it was my understanding that I would be eligible for past guest rates with Princess as a result. I was told NO. He said that that may be the case with HAL or other lines, but not Princess. I told him that did not sound like what I had been told. He said he has worked there for 3 years, and if I needed to hear it from someone else's lips he could transfer me. I told him it took 16 minutes on hold just to hear it from his lips.

Next thing (from him): "JESUS CHRIST"

... and then a classic CLICK sound as he hung up on me.

Nice intro to Princess!

Is there some "trick" to getting the past guest rate -- or just call and call and call until someone knows about it? :confused:

Tom

You should be eligible for the Past Passenger Rate. The problem is that is often the same and the First time passenger rate. You will do much better finding a TA that will discount the fare.
Agreed. CSRs are not known to know as much as CC posters do, regardless of which cruise line.

OK... so I just called Princess to make an inquiry about a sailing with them (it would be our first). After 16 minutes on hold, I got through to a live person. I indicated that I was interested in taking my first Princess sailing and that we have many sailings with Carnival. I said that it was my understanding that I would be eligible for past guest rates with Princess as a result. I was told NO. He said that that may be the case with HAL or other lines, but not Princess. I told him that did not sound like what I had been told. He said he has worked there for 3 years, and if I needed to hear it from someone else's lips he could transfer me. I told him it took 16 minutes on hold just to hear it from his lips.

Nice intro to Princess!

Is there some "trick" to getting the past guest rate -- or just call and call and call until someone knows about it? :confused:

Tom

Yikes! Not a nice introduction to Princess... this may be "one bad apple"...

I agree with Pam. Find a good TA who will work with you/for you. Sometimes they can do waaaaay better than the CSRs or the website.

Best of luck-

TL:)

Nice intro to Princess!

Tom

Hi Tom, I'm sorry you had that happen to you. I booked a California Coastal cruise and was given what was called a VIP rate (I told her that I had 7 sailings with Carnival). The way I understood it, the VIP discount is only available on some of the sailings. If you can think of a way for me to get info on who I worked with to you, let me know. Good luck and don't let the bad eggs get you down.

Linda

That's strange. Did you get the guy's name to complain?

I second the suggestion to find a good travel agent.

He mentioned his name at the outset, but I did not really pay attention... after being on hold for so long I was just thrilled to be speaking to someone (I had the phone on speaker and was switching that off when he identified himself).

Tom

Turns out the past guest rate was the same as the regular rate for our cabin. I was able to find someone who knew about the VIP program, and managed a $50 pp discount. That was worth it for a bit of hold time!

Tom

Archived