TA vs booking direct

cruiser2053

I have a cruise booked direct on NCL Epic in Feb of 2013 received a few minor perk thru NCL now I called my online TA that I have used on previous cruise and she is able to give me already recieved perks as well as a $125 OBC. So My question is this, is there any reason to stay or book directly thru the cruise line over booking with a TA?

Jeff

If you book through a TA....

1. Do you still pick your dining time with them ?

2. Do you book your excursions through The cruise (like Carnival) on their website, ot also through the TA ?

3. Does your reservation show up on the cruise site with a booking number....or is everything just with the TA ?

4. Will you be able to call the cruise line closer to departure and put money on your account ?

5. Will you be able to pre order things through Bon Voyage ?

Thanks!

A good travel agent is terrific, but a bad travel agent is worse than none at all........If you know a good agent or have a good reputation, I'd go that way because you may be able to get some perqs the cruise line won't offer you directly.

Yes, you still get your booking number to make arrangements on line (like reservations).

If you book through a TA....

1. Do you still pick your dining time with them ?

2. Do you book your excursions through The cruise (like Carnival) on their website, ot also through the TA ?

3. Does your reservation show up on the cruise site with a booking number....or is everything just with the TA ?

4. Will you be able to call the cruise line closer to departure and put money on your account ?

5. Will you be able to pre order things through Bon Voyage ?

Thanks!

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes

Depends on the offers at the time for us

We book some direct and some with the TA - finding out who is offering the best deal before selecting - we have 3 different TA's too and match them off against each other.

We do find the TA asks you to pay the balance before direct booking does but if the TA can get us 10% off the price and OBC then the TA wins - even if I have to pay 3 weeks before it states its due

TAs can do so much more to help as well. If you book your flights through them and you get stuck somewhere, they are there to help. A good TA will have insider knowledge of the cruise line and can give you advise as to what time to arrive to avoid crowds, which dining option is best for your family, which cabin will be best for you, etc. Many times they will have insider info on the different ports of call and can recommend must-sees, make sure you have all the correct documentation that is needed, etc. Most TAs do not charge an extra fee, as they earn commission from the cruise line. They are a valuable resource and I see no reason NOT to use one......IF they are a good TA.

Like was said earlier....a bad one can ruin the entire vacation!

My TA has given me a lot of good info for our upcoming Alaskan cruise tour. We have taken many cruises (most booked through him), but this is the first time we're doing a cruise tour. He is generally less expensive than booking directly with the cruise line. In addition, sometimes he can get us onboard credit and will send us a bottle of wine.

Archived