Swollen ankles and feet on a cruise?

Do you realize that you resurrected a thread that was four years old?

I'm very glad that poster resurrected that thread.

Got off the ship a week ago.

From the moment my feet and ankles notice that I'm going to board a ship, they swell :( I also havd DVT, so I really have to be careful.

I wear special stockings a lot, even when it's crazy hot. The uncomfortable-ness of the stockings is less bad than the one from the swollen feet (+ the risk of ending up in the hospital or 6ft under :eek: )

Next cruise, I'll ask for extra parsley :)

Oh, for formal night, I bought a pair of Crocs ballerinas, with some "patent leather" (I guess patent rubber, lol) accents. Really cute, wide enough for my swollen feet and no one noticed that I was wearing Crocs and I was comfortable all evening long!

• 1 year later...

I know this thread is old, but it still has good information.

My last two cruises, I had that problem. The last one was the worst. My feet hurt so bad trying to walk that at the end I had to be pushed off the ship in a wheelchair at the end of the cruise. Of course, after a couple weeks, my feet and ankles are back to normal size.

I already have bought compression socks for my flight and have loose shoes to wear.

I used to 'pooh pooh' bottled water, but will bring some on next time.

I also have any time dining, so I can choose from the buffet want I want instead of the MDR.

Parsley sounds good, plus the diuretic pills.

Thanks for all the good information!!

Melanie

I would appreciate any new info on this topic also. The last 2 cruises I have been on I have had a lot of problems with my feet and ankles. It's like my feet swell at least 2 times as much in the caribbean on cruises than here at home when it's hot and humid. I try to watch my sodium intake. Keep any advice coming.

I had asked on the Carnival forums about the water, and found the water has less salt then tap water. So that will make it easier for me not having to lug on water.

I had the bright idea of freezing socks in my cooler full of ice, then draping them over my ankles. My Steward wanted to fill the cooler, I told him I had to empty it first. When he said he would do it, I told him my socks were in there. Of course I told him why. We both had a good laugh over that one.

Melanie

It happened to me on my first cruise. My feet and legs were so swollen and tight that the skin was shiny! I retained 8 pounds over night. I do believe that the drinking water was to blame. I could taste the salt and I drink gallons of water every day. After that trip, I have stuck to bottled water and have not had it happen again.

I have low BP. But on some cruise ships it goes high and I have to take meds to get it in check. (I know it sounds crazy), but my Dr thinks it might be the ships water. Now I only drink bottled water. I was fine on my last cruise.

One of my friends suggested cherry juice...she got it at GNC.

I looked it up, and they have capsules I am going to buy. I had looked at the reviews, and people have raved about how good they are. Helps with gout, arthritis, sleeping, even sciatica. And, of course, swelling.

Heading there tomorrow. I have sciatica and arthritis, so even if it helps with them, it's well worth it.

Melanie

One of my friends suggested cherry juice...she got it at GNC.

I looked it up, and they have capsules I am going to buy. I had looked at the reviews, and people have raved about how good they are. Helps with gout, arthritis, sleeping, even sciatica. And, of course, swelling.

Heading there tomorrow. I have sciatica and arthritis, so even if it helps with them, it's well worth it.

Melanie

Would you come back and let us know how it worked? I take Lasix for high blood pressure. Last year my dr told me to increase the dose to twice daily a few days prior to getting onboard the ship to keep the swelling down. It didn't help in the least! Even though I limited my alcohol and only drank water. My body was like a sponge absorbing every ounce of water. I have one suitcase just for shoes in various sizes. This time we booked a JS. If need be I will put a bit of ice and water in the tub and soak my feet.

Okay, gonna get flamed again probably, but here goes. There isn't any appreciable amount of salt in the tap water on ship. I have 20 years experience making salt water into fresh water using an evaporator on a ship. I also specifically asked the Chief Engineer on Grandeur last week if they added salt back in to the water anywhere along the process and he said "absolutely not". An evaporator puts out water with <50 parts per million (ppm) total dissolved solids (tds). So, it's probably more pure than what you're getting in the bottled waters you buy, which are usually filled from the tap. Many spring waters have a higher concentration of tds than shipboard water. Here's my deal, I don't want you thinking that it's the water that's causing you to get more salt than you normally do, it's most likely the food, and if so, drinking bottle water isn't going to help. If you really do need it, you might need to ask about a low salt or no salt diet while you're onboard. I'm not trying to over rule anyone's doctor, I'm not a doctor, but then doctors don't run evaporators either, and I have done that and supervised the operation for months at a time. FWIW, thanks for listening.

Bringing this up again because the information is so good and so true. The water on a ship is distilled water and much purer than the bottled type which is often city water! Husband a chemist has done lessons for his college kids testing water for salts, impurities etc. The cooking could be more salt than you are used to depending on your own personal diet and cooking style.

In countries other than the US, I usually carry water from the HC (filling bottles is easier in the Horizon Court than in shower/sink of cabin) and then I know I have safe pure water wherever I go.

Bringing this up again because the information is so good and so true. The water on a ship is distilled water and much purer than the bottled type which is often city water! Husband a chemist has done lessons for his college kids testing water for salts, impurities etc. The cooking could be more salt than you are used to depending on your own personal diet and cooking style.

In countries other than the US, I usually carry water from the HC (filling bottles is easier in the Horizon Court than in shower/sink of cabin) and then I know I have safe pure water wherever I go.

Is there anything else added to the water? Water softers?

I sure will. I am going to buy the cherry capsules today and start taking them early.

All this stuff I am doing, just so I will be able to walk, maybe the power of suggestion will work..lol.

Melanie

Here goes....I went to two different stores to find them, and succeeded. Took two, and will do so until the bottles is empty. 60 days worth.

Melanie

I saw this thread and while it is old, there is good information and some bad info as well.

It's the salt in the food people! Frozen items have extra salt to perserve the food and the food has added salt. Ever go to one of the cooking demos and see the salt dumped in? On the ships where you buy booze, salt ups the sale of booze by making you thirsty.

I don't salt my food or cook with it so I really taste it in foods. I take a diuretic prescribed by my doctor and I wear light compression stockings on any flight over 4 hours. If we're going to be out on an all day excursion, I may wear the stockings under my pants. I also try to walk or do the threadmill each day.

One more thing, if you're overweight, lose the weight before you go. I've had much less swelling since I lost 60+ pounds.

I saw this thread and while it is old, there is good information and some bad info as well.

It's the salt in the food people! Frozen items have extra salt to perserve the food and the food has added salt. Ever go to one of the cooking demos and see the salt dumped in? On the ships where you buy booze, salt ups the sale of booze by making you thirsty.

I don't salt my food or cook with it so I really taste it in foods. I take a diuretic prescribed by my doctor and I wear light compression stockings on any flight over 4 hours. If we're going to be out on an all day excursion, I may wear the stockings under my pants. I also try to walk or do the threadmill each day.

One more thing, if you're overweight, lose the weight before you go. I've had much less swelling since I lost 60+ pounds.

Congrats on your weight loss:)......I suppose it is all about

"wanting to do it". I have quite a bit of weight to lose, but right now

I have no desire or motivation to do it.

We use to cart diet soda and drink it every day a few times. I had

swollen feet and legs. I stopped the soda and drank more water.

I also walked the track and whenever I could more than I had

before on past cruises. I found that this all helped

First thank you for bumping this thread! :) great information.

My mom gets swollen legs and feet very often and it's super painful to her. So I will definatly let her know to talk to her doctor before leaving in december. I get them too though not a much due to salt since I try to avoid salted foods cause mine swell already due to ankle surgeries. But knowing ahead of time will really help out. :)

The Black Cherry Concentrate Capsules WORK!!!!!!

So far, I have flown, walked around the ship, many times.

One thing I think helps is the compression socks.

I am in Key West, at an Internet Cafe, I walked down the looong pier, around town, to here. I have no pain what so ever because of the capsules. I was so relieved I almost cried. So DO get them!!

It helps with Scatica, bad knees, and my bad hip.

Melanie

I am in Key West, at an Internet Cafe, I walked down the looong pier, around town, to here. I have no pain what so ever because of the capsules. I was so relieved I almost cried. So DO get them!!

Melanie

Hi Melaine:) seriously? I am going to try them for my next cruise:D

This topic has been discussed for as long as I have been cruising

(8 years)....Melaine seems to have found a solution to the swelling

feet...(well at least it worked for her). This has happened to me over

the years and my next cruise I have to fly to Rome. I will be trying

these black cherry capsules too:)

Melanie

This is great news! I am so happy you found some relief. Do you find these in the health food store? Leaving next week for New Orleans and the Voyager. Would like to get these and try them.

This is great news! I am so happy you found some relief. Do you find these in the health food store? Leaving next week for New Orleans and the Voyager. Would like to get these and try them.

Hi Brenda:) I think Melanie got them a GNC....but if you google

"Black Cherry Capsules" you will find all sorts of links as well.

I did get mine at GNC....make sure you call ahead...some of the smaller ones don't carry them.

They cost $15.99 for 60 days. I am in Grand Caymen right now, using their free internet. I have even walked down the stairs on the ship.

I hate to admit this, but I had an old moment, and forgot my capsules at home. Tried to find a GNC in Key West, but would have cost a fortune to get here. So I am surviving on Aspirin, water pills, and compression socks. And I STILL can walk aroun the ports, etc.

They are a blessing.

Melanie

• 2 weeks later...

I went to GNC and decided to buy a bottle of the capsules.

I sail in May and I will start taking them about 2 weeks before the

cruise. Melaine, I am hoping to have the same positive results:)