Swollen ankles and feet on a cruise?

I'm yet to go on my first cruise but I have varicose veins and so I'm a little worried about all of this swollen ankle talk!!! I have swollen ankles enough of the time already :o

I wear compression stockings and I wanted to mention that mine are all open toed so I can wear sandals and stuff- I'm only 19, so fashionable medical care is important to me :) I thought I would throw the idea of open toe (and thigh high) stockings out there as an option for those who want to wear compression stockings to combat swollen ankles but still want to wear sandals.

I'm really intrigued by the black cherry pills- I'm going to see if they're safe for me to take- as I also deal with arthritis. So thanks for posting about that.

I am wondering if this only happens in Hot weather cruises. I am doing a 4 day Canada and June and will find out. I usually do 5 day western Caribbean. By day 3 me feet are bad. I took pictures last cruise. My feet were huge. I was so swollen . My husband called the platypus feet. I will say of the 10 pound I gained, it took a week for the swelling to go down and I lost 8#. Part of it is my fault as I am supposed to take a water pill and have a prescription. But I often go weeks without taking it at home and so not have the issue. I also will not take it on a cruise as I know I drink more alcohol than normal and do not want to dehydrate myself. I am also going to carry on water this time. We will see how it works. I am also very salt sensitive. My fingers swell easy from food. I get Chinese and can barely wear my wedding ring for the next 3 days. The black cherry sound interesting but I will have to see if it interacts with the lasix and also if it dehydrates with alcohol. I drink at least 6 bottles of water a day on land and honestly maybe drink 1 a day on vacation

Edited by kbmeow

I live in Florida and my feet never swell here at home during the summer

time.

As for only warm weather cruises? Nope, I have experienced it on cruises

that are not going to the Caribbean.

Some folks say it is too much of this, not enough of that, more of

one of thing, less of another........I truely have no answers about

why some of us get swollen, while others do not.

I went to my Dr today for a routine checkup. I took the bottle with me to find out if after a prolonged use any interaction with my medications I am on.

He said he had heard about the good affects of them, and I was the first person met who took them. He wrote down all the info on where to buy them, how much they cost, etc. Then asked me how well they work for me. Of course, I told him.

By the way, here is the link to read the info, plus reviews.

http:// www. gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId= 2133248

Of course, fill in the spaces...lol.

Melanie

I found these at Vitamin World:

http://www.vitaminworld.com/black-cherry-662/tart-black-cherry-capsules-015691

But they are called "tart" Black Cherry but the nutritional labels is the same as the GNC one, just more concentrated. Since these stores are near me I might try this for my cruises in March.

I've been doing a little more research on the cherry and found it is also a natural form of melatonin. I'm wondering if it will make one sleepy after taking it? Or if the does to combat the swelling is not enough to put you to sleep. I guess we'll find out.

I've been doing a little more research on the cherry and found it is also a natural form of melatonin. I'm wondering if it will make one sleepy after taking it? Or if the does to combat the swelling is not enough to put you to sleep. I guess we'll find out.

Oh my goodness, I did not realize it is a sleeping aid:eek:

I have alot of tours booked for my upcoming cruise......going to

the MED:D

I am reading the label on the bottle I just purchased and I don't

see Melatonin on it.

Melaine, did you feel drowsy after taking these capsules?

Felt just fine...did not get sleepy at all. I took one in the morning and one at night. They taste a like stale cardboard smells, but the taste goes away after a minute.

They have a lot of good reviews on the link I posted.

Melanie

Edited by MSRussell

Felt just fine...did not get sleepy at all. I took one in the morning and one at night. They taste a like stale cardboard smells, but the taste goes away after a minute.

They have a lot of good reviews on the link I posted.

Melanie

Hi Melaine:), thanks so much!

Coming in on the end of this discussion. It does not make you drowsy, it just makes you sleep better.

The swelling ankles caught my attention so now I will read on and might start taking the cheery cherry juice.

Carol

I'm glad to hear it doesn't make you drowsy like taking an actual melatonin does. I saw a clip on The Doctors where they were making a sleep smoothie and it included black cherry juice BUT also a lot of other go to sleep foods. I am going to buy some today for sure!

I didn't even think about the sleep aspect, but you are right, I do sleep deeper now.

I had signed up for sales, got a one day sale, 3 items that were listed for $25.00. I checked it out, they had the capsules, so I ordered 3 bottles. Free shipping, also.

They have a long shelf life, so I saved a lot of money there.

Melanie

Bloods and fluids are pooling - and are already doing so from your flight, pressurisation etc - and as soon as you hit the gangplank - you feel the difference underfoot as you walk aboard = the gravitational pull is less than we are all use to on land

The older you are = or cardio fitness less = more pooling - thats why Lasix works to remove the fluids

It's more to do with almost walking on water - same as in long distance trains or planes or sitting in cars for hours.... the feet are no longer in their usual gravitiational state and pointing to the ground - elevation will relieve symptoms somewhat while the body adjusts

My thoughts only...

~~Iru~~

I didn't even think about the sleep aspect, but you are right, I do sleep deeper now.

I had signed up for sales, got a one day sale, 3 items that were listed for $25.00. I checked it out, they had the capsules, so I ordered 3 bottles. Free shipping, also.

They have a long shelf life, so I saved a lot of money there.

Melanie

That GNC sale was great. I got some vitamins yesterday

So happy to see this thread readdressed...I too suffer immensely from swollen ankles, feet and calves. My eyes just see our ship in port, then contact the feet,ankles and calves giving the go ahead to blow up!!! So so painful, and very unattrractive. I have tried many many things to alleviate the swelling to no avail, haven't tried the capsules everyone is talking about. Think I'll have to check with our Dr. and see if they can be taken along w/ any other meds we may be taking. Fantastic if it works!!!

Neverthought

Bloods and fluids are pooling - and are already doing so from your flight, pressurisation etc - and as soon as you hit the gangplank - you feel the difference underfoot as you walk aboard = the gravitational pull is less than we are all use to on land

The older you are = or cardio fitness less = more pooling - thats why Lasix works to remove the fluids

I'm only 35 and work out 6 days a week. My cardiovascular fitness level is very high (resting heart rate of 45). I still get terrible swelling. It's not just cruising though...Vegas, Hong Kong, London...doesn't matter where I travel, I get it.

I'm only 35 and work out 6 days a week. My cardiovascular fitness level is very high (resting heart rate of 45). I still get terrible swelling. It's not just cruising though...Vegas, Hong Kong, London...doesn't matter where I travel, I get it.

Yup, same for me. I work out, am in good health, I could loose a couple pounds but I'm not hugely overweight. It doesn't matter where I go, or even how long it takes to get there, I get swelling of the feet. When it's longer trips, especially involving flight and going somewhere humid, it gets so bad I look like I am a stump from the knee down.

• 2 weeks later...