Swollen ankles and feet on a cruise?

I've got compression stockings from a surgery I had last year. Anyone recommend them for the long trans-atlantic flight? Or would they be too restrictive?

I fly to Hong Kong several times a year. I always wear my compression socks on the 16 hour flight. It helps immensely.

Pamrose, I think you hit it right on the button..years ago I was in Hawaii..and my ankles swelled till my toes looked like little sausages...I talked to my Dr about it & he said it's actually the salt in the air you breath when you are on or near the ocean. it makes sense..my feet and ankles swell ..not so much since menopause..whenever I visit my Mom who lives in FL.. I also take the cherry suppliment everday but I take the Cherry/tumeric complex one and it really helps with the swelling and pain in my back and knees.

where do you find it thanks in advance for any info you can give me

I'm glad this thread was resurrected. On my last cruise in December my feet were so swollen I had to remove my shoes at dinner one night and walk back to my cabin barefooted. Since then they have been swelling then going down, then back up, etc. In April they just stayed swollen for two weeks so I went to the doctor. He wasn't sure what was causing it but gave me a diuretic and told me to eat bananas (he thought it might have something to do with potassium levels). But my blood work was fine, so when I went back he doubled the dose of the diuretic and said I might want to get compression stockings. It is now almost two weeks later and my feet are still going up and down. Tomorrow I am going to find the black cherry capsules and give them a try. Maybe that will be the solution. Thanks for all the interesting information.

If you don't like the whole sock part of compression socks, take a look at Zensah compression leg sleeves. It looks like a footless knee sock. They have various stitching patterns at certain places to help with compression. You can wear them and still wear your sandals and not have someone see the stocking. They come in a variety of colors. I bought a pair on the recommendation of my orthopedic surgeon for my long flights. They are extremely comfortable.

I have type-1 diabetes, so am alert for issues with circulation. I called both my endocrinologist and podiatrist. Their nurses returned my calls and said that neither TYPICALLY recommends compression stockings or water/dieretic pills.

Instead, "get up and walk around every hour". Sigh... so much for trying to sleep! We're seated 4-across, so you'll see the parade when we all go together.

oh i have this same problem. I dont think it is just the salty food either. I think that I do much more walking than I normally do at home or sitting at my desk at work. By the middle of the cruise they hurt so bad that I buy those 20, 20, 2o deals at the spa just to get a cankle massage. it helps some but by the end of the cruise they look like elephant legs.

I am going to try to sleep wearing those Ted's footless stockings from the hospital. My DD gets them all the time but i have never used them.

Anyone else you these?

I've got compression stockings from a surgery I had last year. Anyone recommend them for the long trans-atlantic flight? Or would they be too restrictive?

I wear a compression stocking almost 24x7 at this point (due to my cancer). There is no real harm in wearing it long term and it will help with oxygen and blood flow to your legs. They actually recommend them for long flights.

Fresh pineapple, which contains bromelain, is also a natural anti inflammatory. Bromelain can also be found in a bottle. ;)

Hello old friend:) seriously????......how come I don't remember

reading about that in all the threads we have had over the years

about this very topic?:eek:

I post on this thread a while back . My DH was going to try the cherry tab. but right when he was going to try them , something else happened , so he has not tried them yet. But we did go on a cruise and I took a case of water with us for him. And he drank that, he did not get really swollen legs and ankels, the cruise was through the canal and I thought he would have a problem, but he did not this time. At one point they swelled a little , but then he used the compression hose (he always uses them when we fly) for a couple nights and he was ok. Weather or not this was the answer , taking along a case of water. Don't know just thought I would post , in case it can help any one else. And he is still going to try the cherry tab. I have some now and when we notice any swelling he is going to try it here at home first. I know it is a very uncomfortable problem , and I do worry about him when it happens. And yes we have seen his Dr. about it.

Cori

Hello old friend:) seriously????......how come I don't remember

reading about that in all the threads we have had over the years

about this very topic?:eek:

Hey girlfriend! Good to see you!

I don't know why this hasn't been mentioned here, but I think I may have posted this on another thread at one time. ;)

Edited by madelinerose

Hey girlfriend! Good to see you!

I don't know why this hasn't been mentioned here, but I think I may have posted this on another thread at one time. ;)

Pinapple juice? Straight up or with Vodka?:D;):).....

I am guessing it would be just the juice LOL

I've tried just about everything with no success, I always just count on having swollen feet on a cruise.:D However, on our last cruise, we purchased a drink package so for the first time, I drank only bottled water instead of the ship's. First time EVER to have no problems with swelling!:)

Sherri:)

Pinapple juice? Straight up or with Vodka?

I am guessing it would be just the juice LOL

LOL. Fresh pineapple, not juice or canned from the supermarket shelf. (Grey Goose please) ;)

I've tried just about everything with no success, I always just count on having swollen feet on a cruise.:D However, on our last cruise, we purchased a drink package so for the first time, I drank only bottled water instead of the ship's. First time EVER to have no problems with swelling!:)

I have read this numerous times on CC. Seems to be the key.

Edited by madelinerose

I've found this to be true for me too. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

So many ideas about what is the cause, but, nobody knows for sure..... One thing that I would like to throw into the mix is I think the tops of my feet get a little sunburned from being in flip flops all day. This just makes them more sensitive and swollen, I bet....

Hey everyone, watch the bottled water.

I was on a weekend away & all they had was bottled water & I was drinking a ton, but my ankles were still swelling. Turns out when I looked at the bottle, the water listed sodium under the ingredients - I forget how many milligrams it had. But needless to say I was shocked :eek: that it had it.

Just wanted to share that info.

But I will look into those cherry pills too

I wear a compression stocking almost 24x7 at this point (due to my cancer). There is no real harm in wearing it long term and it will help with oxygen and blood flow to your legs. They actually recommend them for long flights.

Can you recommend any particular brands. Thx

Hey everyone, watch the bottled water.

I was on a weekend away & all they had was bottled water & I was drinking a ton, but my ankles were still swelling. Turns out when I looked at the bottle, the water listed sodium under the ingredients - I forget how many milligrams it had. But needless to say I was shocked :eek: that it had it.

Just wanted to share that info.

But I will look into those cherry pills too

Thanks! That is a shock about sodium in the water. I don't drink bottled water so would never have thought about it!

The Black Cherry capsules I take were purchased at GNC.

Thanks for all these tips. I have the same issues, on and off cruises. I've had the DVT work ups too-- most uncomfortable-- and have lots of unpleasant experiences with diuretics. I will talk to my physician about the black cherry supplement and I've already ordered the compression sleeves. Thanks again.

I should also mention that I request a low sodium diet when making my cruise booking. Depending on the cruise line, you have to order your meals a day ahead, but it's preferable to eating the high salt content foods. Can't be helped in the buffet, however, so it's only fresh fruits and veggies there.