Swollen ankles and feet on a cruise?

I will be adding the black cherry capsules for my next cruises.I may get some compression socks to wear on the plane. I agree that all I have to do is breathe in the sea air and poof I swell up like a balloon even with the water pills. I limit my salt and alcohol intake and still swell to the point my feet and ankles are tight and shiny. Hope these tricks work as I'd love to leave the fat shoes home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will be adding the black cherry capsules for my next cruises.I may get some compression socks to wear on the plane. I agree that all I have to do is breathe in the sea air and poof I swell up like a balloon even with the water pills. I limit my salt and alcohol intake and still swell to the point my feet and ankles are tight and shiny. Hope these tricks work as I'd love to leave the fat shoes home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since often even flying makes ankles swell, I used the black cherry capsules in early spring before a trip (not cruise) to see if they'd help on plane. Counted out the pills, packed enough with me for two a day while on vacation for plane trip home. Then divided up the rest and took them daily before the first plane trip, think it was a couple of weeks ---figuring having them in system before flying would help. No swelling. Now, I don't take them daily but will soon buy a bottle in preparation for summer trip.

They're on my packing/to do list!

Compression sleeves - did any one use these? Did you wear them all the time or just on the plane. Also if you use them what brand did you like.

Thanks

Sharon

I bought the Zensah compression leg sleeve from Amazon. They come in multiple colors and sizes. I haven't worn them anywhere but around the house. My physician has been suggesting compression stockings for a while, so I thought I would try these. Under long pants, you can wear them without them showing.

My husband is trying the cherry tabs now, we just returned from a weekend driveing trip and he was on his feet quite a bit and his ankles swelled up , so as soon as we got home he started the cherry tabs , 2 a day, I will let you guys know if it helped or not. HOpe it helps , we have two cruises and a land tour planned in Sept. with a stop mid cruises at another port ,and I am worried about his legs swelling , really be great if these cherry tabs work for him.

Cori

I had a dr. appt the other day. I asked her about the trip & if she had any recommendations for the flt. (She's really good about not automatically prescribing meds, she tries to find ways to help first, for example having me try krill oil & steel cut oatmeal before having to start on cholesterol meds.)

Anyway, she pretty much said, take aspirin before getting on the plane, get up & walk every hour & support hose. She said those compression leg things would be fine. So I think I'll get a pair since I've started walking & they'd be good for that too.

I guess the moral is if you happen to be seeing your dr, you may want to ask their opinion.

Always good to check with your doctor but sometimes they have to stay within protocol for their facility. DH once asked a cardiologist about a supplement. His reply was that he couldn't officially recommend it but he could say that he himself took it. !!

I took the black cherry as a preventive step, not to take down the swelling so will be interested if that works. I start it a couple of weeks before the trip and then during the trip.....whatever dosage is on the bottle...and was thinking it's two a day.

I can only think of 1 good reason for the aspirin....(what I think is a good reason)....I know over the the years it has been known that aspirin

helps folks with heart conditions....recommendations say 1 aspirin per day helps keep the blood flowing more smoothly. So, I wonder if it has

a secondary positive affect too? Keeps the blood flowing more smoothly all the way down to the toes too?:) Sounds logical to me!

Edited by Lois R

I can only think of 1 good reason for the aspirin....(what I think is a good reason)....I know over the the years it has been known that aspirin

helps folks with heart conditions....recommendations say 1 aspirin per day helps keep the blood flowing more smoothly. So, I wonder if it has

a secondary positive affect too? Keeps the blood flowing more smoothly all the way down to the toes too?:) Sounds logical to me!

Good thoughts, Lois.

I also thought that Aspirin is an anti-inflamatory and inflamation would cause swelling. Anyway, if I think of it, I'll try it.:)

I can only think of 1 good reason for the aspirin....(what I think is a good reason)....I know over the the years it has been known that aspirin helps folks with heart conditions....recommendations say 1 aspirin per day helps keep the blood flowing more smoothly. So, I wonder if it has a secondary positive affect too? Keeps the blood flowing more smoothly all the way down to the toes too?:) Sounds logical to me!

Hi Lois...have you tried Arnica gel/cream/ointment? It's available at any drug store & it always works for my bruises. They seem to disappear twice as fast. Good luck. ;)

Hi Lois...have you tried Arnica gel/cream/ointment? It's available at any drug store & it always works for my bruises. They seem to disappear twice as fast. Good luck. ;)

Hi Karen:)...nope, never heard of it! I will look for it:)

Oops, sorry. I posted this on the wrong thread. lol :o

LOL no problem....I thought I had lost my mind;) you answered on

both threads:D

Since we're thinking of a trip to Las Vegas this summer, I've been frequenting the Las Vegas section of Trip Advisor.

There was a very recent thread I just read where someone asked if they could go to LV two months after a knee replacement. The thread went on and on (just like here on CC), but one person mentioned they had asked their doctor who told him to wear compression stockings and to take an aspirin before the flight!

I was right? Oh my...that doesn't happen too often:p....when my Dad

was alive he took 1 aspirin per day (along with a bunch of other meds

for other things:eek:) but he had bypass surgery many years prior and the

aspirin was basically a lifetime med.

I was right? Oh my...that doesn't happen too often:p....when my Dad

was alive he took 1 aspirin per day (along with a bunch of other meds

for other things:eek:) but he had bypass surgery many years prior and the

aspirin was basically a lifetime med.

Glad I could make your day :)

My dh takes a baby aspirin every day too.

• 1 month later...

Hi girls.....this topic actually came up the Celebrity forum and one

of the gals on there suggested another "cure"......I am going to copy

and paste it here...click on this post...........

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=39331315&postcount=52

Just thought maybe others were still interested in this topic......

• 3 years later...

So I did t fly here but one day onboard and feet and ankles swollen so bad all week. I never use extra Salt but did enjoy lots of painkillers ( the drink). Anyone know why?

So I did t fly here but one day onboard and feet and ankles swollen so bad all week. I never use extra Salt but did enjoy lots of painkillers ( the drink). Anyone know why?

Good morning, wow, you found one of the older threads......this one goes back to 2013........as for why your feet swell?

If you do another search, you will find lots of threads about this subject........one person says one thing while someone else

has another answers. So there is really no specific/exact/to the tee answer.

Salt, no salt, extra booze? Everyone has a different metabolism...........

My guess would be the painkillers. lol. Alcohol tends to have the same effect as salt. At least for me. I seem to always experience some degree of swelling no matter what I do/don't do. I swear, my body sucks up the sea air like a sponge. :o