Should I apply for the Royal Caribbean Visa

If I get a RCCL visa, and earn points, say to use for onboard credits, will it interfere with the onboard credits I received for booking the cruise (not using the credit card):confused:

No the Visa OBC is combinable with everything

Obviously the card isn't for everybody, but if you enjoy sailing w/RCI like we do it's great. When we are sailing a different line, we just bank the points until we sail Royal. Our dd's just cruised for free on Allure this past april, IMO there was absolutly nothing better, ever.

If I get a RCCL visa, and earn points, say to use for onboard credits, will it interfere with the onboard credits I received for booking the cruise (not using the credit card):confused:

All Onboard credits can be combined. The only restrictions are on cruise discounts being combined of which only some can.

Just thinking if it would be advantageous for me to apply. Have any of you? Do you see any advantages in doing so?

Thanks.

I have had mine for several years , put almost everything on it. I would say we have received about $ 1000.00 in on board credits over 5 -6 years . Now saving up for Panama Canel cruise ,04/02/13 obc will be at least $ 500.00. Works for us maybee not everyone.

I've been thinking about getting the card but I'm not all that attracted to it. You need to spend $5,000 to get $50 in OBC (1%). There are cash back cards out there that are equivalent or beat that, and I'd rather take the cash and have far more choices with what to do with it.

I've been thinking about getting the card but I'm not all that attracted to it. You need to spend $5,000 to get $50 in OBC (1%). There are cash back cards out there that are equivalent or beat that, and I'd rather take the cash and have far more choices with what to do with it.

We use the card exclusively for Royal purchases, in which case you get a minimum of 2% back. There are some redemption options that give up to 4% back.

Just pay cash

Gee what a pathetic response, that didnt address the posters question. We pay CASH on our credit card bills every month in full, and get 6-12 nights FREE every year at resort hotels as a result. Something we wouldn't get if we "just paid in cash"......:rolleyes:

To expand on what the OP asked about advantages... so you can accrue points for what ends up being a free cruise... are there "blackout" dates? Have any of you had a problem redeeming your points for the date of your choice?

I ask because I'm a teacher, so I can only sail during the premium travel months.

I teach too and have had the card for years.

Not a problem using the points. I believe the only black out date are Christmas.

I travel each year on spring break.

This past cruise on the Allure cost us $366 (taxes and port fees) for 2 in a balcony.

This was the second time we cruised for "free".

I charge everything and pay off and the end of the month.

Using the points for free cruises gets you a better return for your money than OBC.

Worth it for my family.

Here's my take. I have had this card since 2004. Last year, I got an AMEX card and am now kicking myself for not doing it sooner. In just one year's time, I've had a week's worth of free hotel nights and have already flown free once. If all you ever do is cruise RCI and you don't have to use any form of commercial travel to get there or stay in hotels, the Visa may work best for you. My other card has been soooooo much better and it can still be used toward the cost of the cruise. I still have the Visa for the places that don't take AMEX, but I rarely use it.

Besides AMEX, there are other cards, maybe Chase, that offer great travel rewards. With this Visa, you are limiting your savings to only RCI.

So exactly which card do u have? Was checking the American express website and most of the cards have a high annual fee. Don't like "paying" to use a credit card

We have been using the RCI card for almost five years. Have gotten several hundred in OBC. But now we are saving for a free cruise. Hoping the allure or oasis in fall of 2013

After that we may have to look into other types of cards

• 2 months later...
The card is offered through Bank of America. When you make your purchase, and at the end of the first billing cycle, they credit your account with the 10,000 points. Then you can either call or go online and redeem the points for the obc. You have to give them your cruise confirmation number, ship, and sailing date for the obc to be credited. It takes about 10 business days to go through.

Hi, I just applied and was approved for the 10,000 bounus point Visa card. Won't I have to wait until I reach the 15,000 point level before I redeem? Or is it a special offer and I don't have to get to the higher level to redeem? Does anyone know? Thanks:)

Hi, I just applied and was approved for the 10,000 bounus point Visa card. Won't I have to wait until I reach the 15,000 point level before I redeem? Or is it a special offer and I don't have to get to the higher level to redeem? Does anyone know? Thanks:)

You can redeem your 10,000 points for 2 5,000 point awards. There are several choices such as Onboard Credit ($50 x 2 or $100) or upgrade on a 3 or 4 night sailing

Just thinking if it would be advantageous for me to apply. Have any of you? Do you see any advantages in doing so?

Thanks.

Just my opinion, but to me it seems the best bang for a person's buck is a credit card that gives you miles towards airfare. Now, maybe you don't fly to your cruises and that would certainly make a difference but for many (myself included) we fly to our cruises and saving money on airfare is a big savings. We got a Delta card last year. It gave me 25,000 miles (the equivalent of $250) and I get $2 for every dollar I spend. In just over a year we have enough airmiles saved now for 2 round trip flights and by this time next year we'll have four. We've got free air for our cruise in 2013, 2014 and by the time 2015 rolls around we'll have built up enough for maybe that one as well. The only thing to remember is to pay your bill in full every month otherwise its not worth doing.

So exactly which card do u have? Was checking the American express website and most of the cards have a high annual fee. Don't like "paying" to use a credit card

We have been using the RCI card for almost five years. Have gotten several hundred in OBC. But now we are saving for a free cruise. Hoping the allure or oasis in fall of 2013

After that we may have to look into other types of cards

I have the AMEX Premier Rewards Gold card. Yes, it does have a high annual fee, but even with the fee, my rewards have been far more rewarding then the RCI card I used to use. Heck, I even bought an I-Pad with points.

You can redeem your 10,000 points for 2 5,000 point awards. There are several choices such as Onboard Credit ($50 x 2 or $100) or upgrade on a 3 or 4 night sailing

Thanks, Molly. I literally had just applied and and was approved within 2 minutes. I know that I can eventually call boa for info but I was excited and wanted to make sure that I would be able to use the $100 obc bonus for my May '13 cruise on Allure. I will use the card occasionally just to keep it active but will also use another card that gives me cash back:)

Just my opinion, but to me it seems the best bang for a person's buck is a credit card that gives you miles towards airfare. Now, maybe you don't fly to your cruises and that would certainly make a difference but for many (myself included) we fly to our cruises and saving money on airfare is a big savings. We got a Delta card last year. It gave me 25,000 miles (the equivalent of $250) and I get $2 for every dollar I spend. In just over a year we have enough airmiles saved now for 2 round trip flights and by this time next year we'll have four. We've got free air for our cruise in 2013, 2014 and by the time 2015 rolls around we'll have built up enough for maybe that one as well. The only thing to remember is to pay your bill in full every month otherwise its not worth doing.

We also did this, but with a Chase Sapphire Visa. The 40,000 bonus points are very generous if you spend $3,000 in the first 3 months. We got the card when we had to pay for some future travel, plus our regular expenses. My husband and I each got a card, and when I was done with mine we had Chase put me on as a signer on my husband's card. After we got our 40,000 points I transferred mine to my husband's account. We ended up with 96,000 points, and just used some of them for free roundtrip airfare for our next cruise.

The Sapphire card has it's own rewards center which includes an airfare booking tool. You get to see many airlines together like other airlines consolidator booking tools. What I really liked was I was able to book my husband and I with points, but paid for my MIL with $$ by charging it to the Visa card. You do this my changing the number of points you want to convert.

You can also convert the points to a credit on your Visa card, and use them to buy other stuff.

I think this card is a total win-win. No annual fee for the first year, either.

Thanks, Molly. I literally had just applied and and was approved within 2 minutes. I know that I can eventually call boa for info but I was excited and wanted to make sure that I would be able to use the $100 obc bonus for my May '13 cruise on Allure. I will use the card occasionally just to keep it active but will also use another card that gives me cash back:)

If you have a spouse/partner they can also apply for a card and get another 10,000 points:D

quite fancied one of these for a quick OBC hit but not available in Europe even though RCI advertise them on their uk website. unless someone knows different?

You might try calling them in the UK: United Kingdom Credit Cards 0-800-028-2440

I use CC's excusively for the rewards. As a matter of fact I just added the SWA Visa and have 2 r/t tickets available to me for our April 2013 cruise out of FLL, which is a substantial savings this year. I do use the RCI VISA for RCI cruises to get the double points and I will use that for OBC. I may save it this year so I have more for our 13 night cruise next year. Otherwise I have better deals and more flexibility with my Discover Miles card (which I can apply to any airfare, any cruise, any hotel or any other travel expense). I get double miles on travel up to $3,000 per year. After that for travel, gas and eating out I use the Costco AX card which has better points for those expenses and is a cash reward (you don't have to use it at Costco). Of course, I apply the cash to travel most of the time!

For our next cruise I will have with my CC rewards (if I choose to use them all).....

*2 free r/t flights from PHX to FLL (SWA Visa)

*$500+ to apply to final payment on my cruise (Discover Miles)

*$200 OBC (RCI Visa)

*$400 - $500 Cash (Costco AX)

As others have said, it only works if you pay off your balance every month. We never have a finance charge.

I am back to using my RC card so that I can accrue points for OBC. We usually use the Costco AMEX card but for the amount that I need to accrue on the RCL card I am getting a better deal on their card. On the Costco card we get 2% back on travel and 1% on all other purchases except for gas (can't remember the %).

My sister, Anita, and I only cruise every few years (it takes us awhile to save for it:)) She won't get another cc so I'm happy to get the bonus 10,000 points ($100obc). We still owe $2000 on the cruise so, as I understand it, if I use the card to pay off the cruise, I'll get double points (4,000) and then I only have to spend another thousand to get another $50 obc.

Is that right? Thanks

I have the AMEX Premier Rewards Gold card. Yes, it does have a high annual fee, but even with the fee, my rewards have been far more rewarding then the RCI card I used to use. Heck, I even bought an I-Pad with points.

I am in complete agreement with you! The AMEX Gold Card has more substantial rewards and way more perks than any card program I've seen whether it's RCI, Delta, etc. The annual fee is nothing compared the comparable rewards the card offers. I think it's awesome that you were able to buy an iPad with your points! Way too cool!

To the OP and forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but the RCI card can only be advantageous to you based on your spending habits. If you're the type of person that maxes out a credit card, then it's not a good idea to have any card because the interest you pay will be way more compared to the perks the cruise line gives you. Otherwise, if your credit is good, have adequate income and maintain a good debt to income ratio, then I say go for it! Whatever your decision is, have fun and stay responsible to yourself! :)

Archived