Upgrade to Balcony... 75% of the Time?!?

mikjr

I am on a Roll Call for a cruise coming up in October, and one of the newer cruisers said their TA told them that 75% of the time, a "Guarantee" Ocean View booking would be upgraded to a Balcony!!

I mentioned that 75% was an unreal percentage... and not to expect a balcony.

In the vast experience of those on this boards... how many of you have every received that kind of upgrade... Guarantee Ocean View to Balcony???

What is a realistic percentage of that happening, if at all??

I am on a Roll Call for a cruise coming up in October, and one of the newer cruisers said their TA told them that 75% of the time, a "Guarantee" Ocean View booking would be upgraded to a Balcony!!

I mentioned that 75% was an unreal percentage... and not to expect a balcony.

In the vast experience of those on this boards... how many of you have every received that kind of upgrade... Guarantee Ocean View to Balcony???

What is a realistic percentage of that happening, if at all??

You are right to question that percentage because it just isn't true or realistic. I'd question the TA's experience and knowledge. It does happen but not often. Any percentage would depend on the itinerary and specific cruise. A flat percentage of 75% is totally off-base because there are many cruises that are almost completely sold out so that an upgrade like that wouldn't happen, even to a higher category of the same cabin type. And because they're sold out, that would mean that for cruises that aren't, the percentage would have to be much higher to average them out to 75%. Two of my cruises in the next year, for instance, have only wait list available, not even GTY, for almost all cabin types.

I bet it's less than a 5 percent chance to be upgraded from a guarantee ocean view to a balcony. Princess seems to do more upgrades from the lowest categories of a type of cabin to the higher ones than from type of cabin to a better type of cabin. In other words, from a BF or BE balcony to a BB or BA balcony--or from a GG or FF obstructed view to a D or an EE unobstructed view. Frequently these lowest levels are only available as guarantees.

I just did it--booked one of the highest categories of unobstructed oceanview and ended up with a Baja balcony. But the only other real upgrade I've had is from obstructed oceanview to unobstructed. My other guarantees have stayed in the overall category I originally booked.

I just did it--booked one of the highest categories of unobstructed oceanview and ended up with a Baja balcony. But the only other real upgrade I've had is from obstructed oceanview to unobstructed. My other guarantees have stayed in the overall category I originally booked.

It happens, just not 75% of the time.

Princess upgraded us (the only upgrade we have ever had on any cruise line) from an oceanview to a balcony on the first cruise we took with them. In fact it was our first cruise.

It was a smart marketing ploy on their part as thanks to them we have never cruised in any room without a balcony

This was in 1997 on the Dawn Princess, 3 day coastal cruise Vancouver to Los Angles

Since then yield management programs have come a long way and while I can't say it never happens for a great upgrade, I think we had ours so not holding our breath for another.

Me thinks the Upgrade Fairy would get her knickers in bind if a TA was giving the line that 75% of the time you would get a balcony. Those would be pretty good odds and probably worth a try -- but I think it is no where near that high a percentage. Any guess anybody makes is just that-- a guess! No business would put out information on selecting a cabin or room at the lower price when 3 out of 4 times you would get the upgrade! It will not happen. Get yourself a new TA who is more likely to be honest with you so that you can trust their judgement. The saying "If it sounds too good to be true ... applies here.

Good luck. If you buy the cabin that you want from a good TA offering a reasonable price, then you have almost 100% chance of getting what you want!

(There are some folks who don't know what they want so never 100%). The Upgrade Fairy is dear and fun and totally unreliable. She doesn't like me:mad: never even visited me that first time when I was so sure I was "almost guaranteed a big upgrade" and then I was disappointed in my oceanview. :( Never again. (I buy oceanview all the time because for me that is where I get my value point -- thankfully most folks don't agree with me on this and buy the more expensive balconies.)

my coworker said that it might have to do with the travel agency you use and their relationship with Princess. perhaps certain travel agencies have a "better" relationship with Princess (high volume sales).

can anyone comment on that?

this is my first cruise and first time using a travel agent. booked a BF guarantee and got assigned a BA cabin (so did my parents. we booked together. they are at platinum loyalty.)

my cabin got assigned last Thursday evening I believe. i noticed that many others on this forum also got their cabin assignment around that time with others who booked BF/BE guarantee getting a BA/BB assignment. (not on the same sailing as me)

i'm sure there is some degree of randomness to it, but i also think there is a method to their madness.

my coworker said that it might have to do with the travel agency you use and their relationship with Princess. perhaps certain travel agencies have a "better" relationship with Princess (high volume sales).

can anyone comment on that?

Upgrades are done by computer using an algorithm. A high-volume TA might have access to better cabins but I'd beware of any TA who said they get more upgrades. Some might upgrade you without your knowing if prices drop instead of giving you the choice of staying in your booked cabin at a lower price.

The vast majority of upgrades are within a cabin type...example outside view lower category to outside view higher category. Balcony lower category to balcony higher category.

Upgrades to a higher cabin type such as outside view to balcony do happen but are infrequent.

Just think, if the TA was correct in her estimate that 75% get upgraded, more people would be booking outside view window cabins to get a balcony cheaper. It just doesn't happen that often.

I think the TA is doing that person a grave disservice. The client is now thinking that his/her chances a a great upgrade a much better than they really are and it opens them up to serious disappointment with the cruise line.

Sounds like the TA is giving the clients a very false impression. They are probably going to be angry when they check in and it doesn't happen. "My TA told me we would get an upgrade!"

Those are the passengers screaming at the Purser's staff the first day.

Just think, if the TA was correct in her estimate that 75% get upgraded, more people would be booking outside view window cabins to get a balcony cheaper. It just doesn't happen that often.
Why book a balcony if you know you have a 75% (or better) chance of booking an oceanview cabin and getting a balcony. With that percentage, not many people would book into an actual cabin, they'd book a GTY. Heck, when I booked my September Island Princess cruise last March, the only cabin category left was obstructed oceanview. No balconies, no mini-suites, no suites, and only a very few (and terrible location) oceanviews. If I'd booked an oceanview GTY with a 75% chance of getting a balcony, you can bet I would have done it.

Why book a balcony if you know you have a 75% (or better) chance of booking an oceanview cabin and getting a balcony. With that percentage, not many people would book into an actual cabin, they'd book a GTY. Heck, when I booked my September Island Princess cruise last March, the only cabin category left was obstructed oceanview. No balconies, no mini-suites, no suites, and only a very few (and terrible location) oceanviews. If I'd booked an oceanview GTY with a 75% chance of getting a balcony, you can bet I would have done it.

Book a balcony cabin and you have 100% chance of getting a balcony cabin. Makes sense if you want a balcony.

The fact that the only cabins left on your cruise was obstructed oceanview doesn't mean anything. You have no idea how many passengers booked that category and were upgraded.

I've read cruise ships want cabins available in the lower priced categories. That way they can issue flash promotions with low fares. That suggests upgrading passengers.

Did the OP tell us which ship? An upgrade is more likely if the ship has relatively few oceanview (non-balcony) cabins. That said the 75% sounds high. Posters said fare paid is one of the factors which determines who gets upgraded. That suggests a passenger who books a gty and doesn't book during a fare sale, and doesn't rebook (or ask for) a fare adjustment, might have a very good shot of such an upgrade.

It happened to us on our November 2011 cruise to Hawaii. Booked a cat. E (highest OV obstructed) and got a Baja deck balcony. I considered myself very lucky!

As far as the percentages, I believe 75% is way too high! Does it happen? Yes. Does it happen often? No.

I would not trust this TA.

We have been upgraded from an OV to a balcony on one occasion and upgraded in a balcony category on another....but I would have serious doubts about upgrades occurring 75% of the time. The overall percentage of upgrades will vary from cruise to cruise but not to that extreme.

The fact that the only cabins left on your cruise was obstructed oceanview doesn't mean anything. You have no idea how many passengers booked that category and were upgraded.
Actially, I do have a very good idea. :) When there are only two or three fully obstructed oceanview and only a few inside cabins available out of all the categories six months before sailing, chances are very slim that people have been upgraded. Particularly since it's an unusual itinerary (Vancouver to SF to FLL.) There will be no Flash promotion for this cruise because there's practically nothing left to sell and no where to upgrade anyone. In fact, prices have gone up substantially since I booked.

Actially, I do have a very good idea. :) When there are only two or three fully obstructed oceanview and only a few inside cabins available out of all the categories six months before sailing, chances are very slim that people have been upgraded. Particularly since it's an unusual itinerary (Vancouver to SF to FLL.) There will be no Flash promotion for this cruise because there's practically nothing left to sell and no where to upgrade anyone. In fact, prices have gone up substantially since I booked.

Your experience illustrates that the same itinerary at a different time of the year can have a much different booking experience. Sailing in the reverse direction from FL to Vancouver in April they had last minute flash sales with very good rates available. They offered a GTY BG balcony cabin for $999 and we were assigned a BB balcony. We ended our cruise in LA and I don't recall the price to continue to Vancouver but it wasn't much more.

Your cruise has more demand than supply & ours was just the opposite which resulted in a flash sale for us. The weather is the only variable that I can think of for this difference...it must drive the sales and marketing people crazy trying to accurately gauge passengers desires. :eek:

Certainly will not happen on the new Royal Princess.

(no oceanview cabins exist)

Princess upgraded us (the only upgrade we have ever had on any cruise line) from an oceanview to a balcony on the first cruise we took with them.

Me too on our recent Northbound Pacific Costal. We booked an obstructed OV (cat. HH) and ended up in a balcony (cat. BE).

The claim is 75% of the passengers who book OV gty get upgraded. I suspect less the 25% of Princess cruises are all but fully booked 6 months out. Your example doesn't disprove, or prove, the OPs claim.

Archived