documents to take into ports

No documents are required.

Just take your ship board card and whatever money/credit cards.

Leave jewelry and other documents on board the ship.

No need to take passport, birth certificate or other official items off the ship.

Keith

Don't take your wallet off the ship either. Take your driver's license- only need it to get back on the ship- don't need anythng else you find in a wallet. My husband just takes some cash- maybe $50 - and a credit card. (But not Americna Express as some shops don't take those.) He puts these in his pocket that is deep and has velcro as a closure. His bathing suit looks like shorts and no need to empty his pocket when swiming.

Cruise card, Credit card some, local currency, a goverment photo ID ( my driver's license ), a copy of my passport.

Guess you could say everything that is in my wallet at home + my cruise card.

Actually, you often need photo ID in addition to your sea pass at many ports. Local port authority will check the ID against your sea pass before allowing you to enter the secure area around the ship for reboarding. We use our Driver's licences. (Under 16 years old do not need to carry photo ID)

I know the OP specifically mentioned Mexico, but many ports have similar requirements, so I'll share what happened in St. Thomas. My mom only brought her sea pass ashore in St. Thomas, and it was really a big hassle and delay - in the hot sun - for her to be admitted inside the gate. Ship security had to be called to vouch for her, and she was given a stern lecture about following the directions for bringing photo ID ashore that was mentioned in the cruise newsletter.

You should also bring the contact info for the cruiseline's agent at the port. This is listed in the cruise newsletter. The agent is the person who will assist you if you have any issues while ashore, such as an accident, illness, missing the ship, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I'm in the distinct minority but I'm also a very very experienced traveler. I always keep my passport on my body when traveling. I wear a neck wallet under my clothing with passport, cash, and credit cards. If something happened to me while on shore I would want my passport right with me.

Besides my sail card I take one credit card and my passport card. Many ports I've been to require a photo ID in addition to the sail card to get back into the dock area.

I always make a photocopy of my passport and take that with me as a "just in case"
We do the same and so does everyone else we know.

It serves as photo ID at port locations where photo ID is required.

We take driver's license only when needed for driving.

Otherwise, there is no good reason to risk having the driver's license or passport lost or stolen, so they stay locked up in the safe.

My mom only brought her sea pass ashore in St. Thomas, and it was really a big hassle and delay - in the hot sun - for her to be admitted inside the gate. Ship security had to be called to vouch for her, and she was given a stern lecture about following the directions for bringing photo ID ashore that was mentioned in the cruise newsletter.

You should also bring the contact info for the cruise line's agent at the port. This is listed in the cruise newsletter. The agent is the person who will assist you if you have any issues while ashore, such as an accident, illness, missing the ship, etc.

Therein lies the key. The ship's newsletter will always give instructions as to what documents MUST be taken ashore. Believe them. You may always chose to take additional documentation. There is a never ending debate on CC about whether or not you should take documentation that is not required. It simply comes down to your choice and your evaluation of risk/benefit.

The advice to take the contact info for the port agent is excellent. Whatever side of the "take the passport", "no, don't take the passport" fence you fall on, there is no reason not to have the port agent information.

Archived