What's your favorite way to pack toiletries?

pampaul

Just returned last night from our 7-night Fantasy cruise. Still haven't totally unpacked yet, had to return back to work this morning :(

Anyhow, there are four of us and there just seems to be a bazillion things that I pack. Some things are essentials (deodorant, toothpaste, hair products, etc) But then there are the stupid things that I bring "just in case" but then NEVER use!!! (antacids, stomach relief stuff, bandaids, hair clips, eye drops, etc)

When I pack them before we leave, I just toss everthing in plastic storage bags and throw them in the suitcase. Then on the last day of the cruise, I toss them all back into the plastic bags and throw them back in the suitcase.

There's got to be a better way. And I think for the cruise we're taking in August, I'm NOT bringing all that stuff. Granted, it'll only be the hubby & I, so no kids. But I'm thinking they must make a special case/bag/something to store/travel your toiletries in.

And the other thing that I did NOT really need this past cruise (that I've taken on all my other cruises) was the over the door shoe holder thingie. I did put it up and I did fill it up with all the stuffI brought but never used any of the stuff I had in it. LOL I put the normal everyday stuff we use right in the bathroom but everything else went right into the shoe holder. The ONLY thing I used out of it was the can of sunblock.

So, any ideas?

I only take the "over the door shoe holder" when there are 3 in our stateroom, not 2. We have plenty of room for 2 normally. I will always take emergency items as I don't want to spend my cruise looking for someone who can repair glasses and I always want things like bandaids and pepto on hand. I keep them in a plastic bag and don't open the bag unless I need something. Otherwise, it stays in the closet. No need to unpack all that stuff.

I always pack my makeup in my carry on, but put the larger liquids into the packed and checked suitcase. Then if it gets delayed or lost, I have most of my makeup with me and can replace the rest.

There's got to be a better way.

I'm lost as to what's wrong with that way? It seems your concerns is that you packed stuff you didn't use, not how it was packed. I have a travel toiletries bag with a hook (do I can hang it and it doesn't take up counter space), but I probably wouldn't bother if I didn't travel for business 8 or 10 times a year......I'd probably do just as you did and toss it all in a ziplock bag.

My boss gave me a nice set of make-up / toiletries bags for Christmas before we went on our first cruise. 2 of the bags are the standard zipper top envelope type and the 3rd is a padded cube lunch box type bag. I use that one for our OTC meds, first aid kit, etc., the smaller envelope type for my cosmetics and the medium envelope one for my jewelry. I also found a clear zipper top one at Walmart that is just the right size for our prescriptions.

I have 2 small fabric bags, one for toiletries and the other for cosmetics. My toiletry bag is always packed with the basics and ready to go. I have a separate toothbrush, hair brush, deodorant, etc. in the bag so I don't have to worry about forgetting to pack anything. I also have a small amount of many essentials, like cold medicine, Pepto tablets, a roll of antacids, etc. I keep a travel corkscrew in it at all times! :D Any time I travel, whether for a weekend or a full week, I take this bag. I double check that it's fully stocked before any big trips, such as my upcoming cruise. When not traveling, I just keep it under the sink out of the way.

I also have a cosmetic bag that holds the few makeup things I use and my jewelry. My husband is responsible for his own toiletries.

All toiletries go in a toiletries bag. That contents of that whole bag goes into the bathroom (body wash, shave gel, toothpaste, lotion..etc). Just in case items (advil, bandages..etc) actually do not get unpacked. That is all included in a just in case first aid kit that I keep in my luggage. I do have a few bandaids and alcohol wipes that stay in my backpack in case there is a mishap while in port or something but the bulk of the first aid stuff stays untouched.

I'm lost as to what's wrong with that way? It seems your concerns is that you packed stuff you didn't use, not how it was packed.

Agreed. :confused:

Since we have to fly, we use double zipper bags - one inside another, squeeze the air out. Works every time.

I keep my make-up in a small, 3-drawer "Sterlite" box....on my counter at home, and I simply pack that for trips! No guessing if I brought something.....it's ALL there!

I put shampoos/conditioners in zip-locs.....they tend to leak at the most inopportune times! Medications go in a bag....other, non-leaky items just get put in the suitcase!

Just don't bring too much stuff!

Never pack important medicines in a bag that will be checked.

I use a tri-fold toiletry bag with a hook for all the basic stuff that can go in my carry on bag (with liquids separated into the 1 quart zippy bag. I don't take large quantities of shampoo and etc.

I do carry a substantial first aid kit as I travel often and often to places where such supplies are hard to come by.

I am amazed at Keith1010's organizational skills especially for travel. Wish he would write a book/teach classes. If I traveled on trips that go on as long as many of his do, I would have the whole drugstore with me.

And still wouldn't have what I need.

I bought a Campmor waterproof pouch set & use the mid-size one as my quart-size pouch for TSA. I put anything that may leak into it & it's easy to put into the bin at the airport. H uses double-ziplock bags. Both of us keep our toiletry bags semi-packed all the time. Before we go anywhere, we double-check & add any additional Rx meds or other things that are running low & then put the bag into our carry on & go.

We never check medications except when going home--OTC or Rx when we travel as we always carry those aboard. When we're going home, we figure we have spares of everything at home so we generally just put it in checked luggage & have fewer things to deal with at TSA.

Depends on what kind of trip we are going on.

Usually toiletries go into various ziplock bags then into some sort of cosmetic bag. Have used other travel bags but, found for the most part, ziplocks put into another bag work great for us.

OTC meds fit into a 4x6x1 pouch. We take a panel or two of tabs and cut out the back panel for dosage amounts. It's amazing the variety/amount I have in there, reminds me of a clown car. Last trip was to NYC. Only brought ibprofen and benedryl with us. Bought anything else (moleskin) as needed.

Both bags are restocked when we get home.

I have two kits. The bigger one is about the size and shape of a hardback book, zips open in the middle so that there are two sections when it's open. It has more than enough room for all my essential toiletries and make-up if I carry smaller versions than the home sizes. I can pack a lot of stuff in that kit. On the ship I can either take stuff out and put it in the shelves or just zip the case back up and put it on that shelf underneath the counter. I can also hang it by it's loop handles on the door hook. It's always packed with what I need. The second one is pretty small and has first aid supplies and a few of each kind of "just in case" meds. That stays tucked in to a corner of my suitcase under the bed. I rarely open it.

I have a vinyl lined toiletries case that all of my "usual" stuff goes into (shampoo, toothpaste, etc).

I also have a one-gallon ziplock with a wide variety of "emergency" stuff in it. I don't unpack it onboard, just put it on a shelf in the closet. I don't feel that I've wasted packing space if the bag never gets opened... I'm glad I haven't needed to open it!

When I get home, both bags go back on the linen closet shelf. About 2 weeks before a trip, I check them to see if I need to restock anything (almost gone or expired).

All of my personal toiletries goes in a Land's End toiletry bag.

All the other stuff - first aid items, ponchos, sewing kit, travel alarm, etc goes into a packing cube - I think it's an Eagle Creek. That stays packed. All I have to do is throw it in the suitcase and then I take it out of the suitcase and throw it in a drawer. It all stays together and organized.

As far as the hanging shoe bag, we do tend to use it. It keeps us organized (my travel partner tends not to be). Sunscreen, bug spray, other little things for excursions sits in this thing that way we can 'grab and go'.

I use a hanging bag that folds flat (I love that it is flat), and has little zipper pockets that you can see what's inside. Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Household-Essentials-Hanging-Cosmetic-Grooming/dp/B0000CNR1L/ref=pd_sim_hg_4

It holds absolutely everything I could possibly need and it has served me well for several years. I have two--one for jewelry that I can tuck into my carryon bag.

All of my travel liquids are kept in my 2 (one for DH & me) qt TSA ziplocks ready to fly! I always carry a small med kit with a few of each remedy for most common ailments. All my non-liquid toiletries and ditties go in a vinyl zippered bag that attaches to the inside of my suit case. When not traveling all of those items are kept together and I just do a quick check before packing to see what may need to be replenished.

It depends on if we are flying or driving. I have an over-the-door-shoe holder that is always fully loaded and ready to go. Fully loaded it folds up nicely into a rolling back pack. I just lift it out of the back pack and hang it on the back of the bathroom door. When we get home it hangs on our bedroom door to be restocked as necessary. We use this for all travel except when flying. When flying, I pull out what I want and through it into ziplock bags. Liquids in one to be put in the checked luggages and non-liquids in the carry on (depending on length of trip and space issues).

The first row contains first aid products, OTC medicines and suntan lotions. The second row has the guys hygene/hair products. The third row has misc items such as small sewing kit, luggage scale, nightlight with 3 outlets, travel air freshener, travel wrinkle releaser, playing cards, travel alarm clock, nail care set & tweezers etc. The fourth row has ladies hygene/hair products/contacts & eye care. The fifth row has make up, nail polish/remover, and jewelry. Everything is always together, ready to go, easy to transport, easy to see what needs to be replenished/replaced.

Edit to add that there are 4 of us DH, myself, DS (18) and DD(15)

For a cruise, I tend to bring small bottles of shampoo, deodorant, etc. all packaged together in a ziplock. For things I can't get in small containers (i.e., my prescription skin cream or my good hair spray), I use up most of a tube at home and then put it away in my cruise basket when I have "just enough" left. I count out just enough tooth flossers and just enough make-up removal cloths (store in a snack-sized ziplock). At the end of the cruise, I just throw everything away.

I don't tend to do this for other vacations, but one of the few negatives of a cruise is that the end tends to be a bit chaotic with packing on the last night /getting out early the next day . . . so I like the throw-it-away method.

However, this doesn't help with make-up. I pack my make-up in a small zippered cosmetic bag. I don't bring everything with me on a cruise -- I've learned that I don't use it all. When I have fresh sun on my face, I find that tinted moisturizer is just as good as foundation make-up. I do bring eye make-up and a lipstick, but that's it. I do not bother with extra nail polish; I pick one color, and it has to match everything for the whole trip. Those things I do not throw away.

One thing I never skimp upon is sunscreen.

I do the same thing. I've tried various cosmetic and travel kits but invariably something springs a leak, then it's a mess to clean it. I found the best method for ALL liquids are simply ziplock bags. That way, if something explodes, I can toss the items in the sink to rinse and toss the nasty ziplock rather than try to get the shampoo or body wash out of the cloth and/or plastic case. I can never seem to get them clean again. Then I have to wait for them to dry - which is really a pain if I have to re-pack and travel the next day. I like ziplocks and I always throw some extra in. I think they ARE the better way ;)

I do use cosmetic bags for my non-liquid make-up.

After several cruises and always seeming to forget an item, we started keeping the toiletry kit packed all the time. I have duplicate tools, razors, brushes, makeup tools, etc... in the kit.

I also pack the toiletries in separate bags, one for hair, one for makeup, one for bathroom/shower needs. Easier to organize and unpack that way.

Our first aid kit is small, but contains a sampling of several OTC meds we may need.

All our bottles are refillable.

Archived